Rocky Mountain Oysters
Shaferville Stars
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Shaferville Stars

Shaferville Stars

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Empty
PostSubject: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 4:51 pm

1 Who are you? Where do you live?

My name is Sam and I live in Tennessee. However, I am originally from Northern KY and am a lifetime Cincinnati Bengals fan.

2 Tell us about your fantasy football experience, including the types of leagues you play in and where they are hosted.

I have played on a variety of platforms, from really terrible ones (hosted by CBS and Fox) to so-so ones (hosted by Yahoo! and ESPN!) to the best platform of all: MFL. I generally play in 7-10 leagues per year,  with a mix of both redraft, keeper and dynasty leagues. However, I have found myself still wanting at the end of the season. Even my dynasty leagues aren’t as competitive as I would like, as the owners in those leagues tend to take a break in January and then show interest again in August.  I, on the other hand, want to keep maintaining, studying and analyzing my team and the rest of the league. If I were to join Roster Wars as a full owner, then I would stop participating in all of my other leagues and would focus 100% of my attention on this league.  The only team I would own would be the Shaferville Stars. I'm all in!

3 Why do you want to be part of Roster Wars...what drew your interest?

I love the fact that the owners of Roster Wars take the league very seriously. Right now, to get my fantasy football fix, I have to be in 7+ leagues. I would rather own a team in one serious, hard-core league where I can focus my time and attention than on 7 half-assed leagues where I only need to spend a few hours a week. Roster Wars would likely require 25-30 hours/week, 52 weeks/year, of my attention, and for me that is perfect.

So what drew my interest? A dynasty league I was in folded, and I sent out a message to a fantasy football forum on Reddit asking if anyone had an opening in a hard-core dynasty league. A member referred me to this one, telling me to be sure to read the by-laws first. I read, and re-read, the bylaws, and am hooked. I desperately want to be in this league. If it means I inherit a dilapidated roster which I have to rebuild, then I will gladly take that challenge.

I also like the "Empire" format of the pool, wherein some of the pot is carried forward indefinitely and only paid out under certain unique circumstances. I also dig the "two conferences" aspect of this league and love how the season ends. I have never seen anything like it and believe it is an ingenious way to run a league.

I love the intricacies and complexity of the rules. I love the league’s rich history and the stiff penalties for owners who don’t follow the rules. Unlike other leagues which tolerate zombie owners, Roster Wars has zero tolerance for owners who don’t take their league obligations seriously. This league is exactly what I am looking for.

4 How much time in a typical week do you spend on your fantasy football hobby?

30-35. Fantasy football is less a hobby and more of a part-time job for me.

5 Talk about a favorite memory or crazy fantasy football related story.

I have several, but the big one that comes to mind happened in 2006. I started out the season 0-2 (or maybe 0-3?) in a 2 player keeper league and there was no light at the end of the tunnel. For some reason, I drafted Tampa Bay’s Chris Simms early in that year’s draft. Two days before week #3, I reached out to another 0-2 team and threw up a proverbial Hail Mary: I would give up Chris Simms and receive the plucky and underrated WR T. J. Houshmandzadeh. That Sunday, Chris Simms had a serious injury resulting in his spleen being removed and T. J. Houshmandzadeh scored two Touchdowns. That trade single-handedly helped me go deep in the playoffs.

6 What do you think members of your other leagues would say about you as an owner?

Other members of my leagues would say that I’m not only hyper-competitive, but that I am one of the most active members in the league. Whether it is friendly smack talk, posting on message boards, or other league activity, my league-mates will know that I put plenty of time and effort into the league. Other owners will say that for me a fantasy league isn’t a hobby: it is a sacred obligation. Much like holding a full-time job or being a parent, owning a team in the Roster Wars league will require my full attention. It will be a labor of love.

7 Anything else you would like to add?

This sounds strange, but I like the fact that the commissioner has a lot of power in this league. Some of the worst leagues I have ever been in were ones that were very democratic (lower case “d”). That is, everyone had to vote and agree on trades and other matters. I like how the commissioner has plenty of discretion in this league. Considering how long this league has had members and how successful it has been, I think it speaks volumes to the commish’s ability to run this league.

I want to stress that, should I own a team in Roster Wars, I will drop all other fantasy football leagues. My only team will be in Roster Wars.

8 Are you joining to be a friend of the league or do you intend to start out as a prospect?

I want to join to be a friend of the league and a full-fledged member. However, if starting out as a prospect is the best way to eventually join this league as a full owner, then that is fine by me too.

Last edited by Shaferville Stars on Sun May 08, 2016 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 4:57 pm

Welcome, Sam!

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sigoys15
Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 5:32 pm

Welcome Sam. So I am not sure how to read that, I think you said you want to be a prospect, but I am not positive. That is the only way to the big leagues.

Either way, this is the best place for fantasy and community in the planet, stick around! Andy (commish) is the best I've seen. If you tell him you like Bishop Sankey he may even kick someone out and just put you in the league. laughing

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sigtyr14
Back to top Go down
Colorado Crusaders

Colorado Crusaders

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 5:38 pm

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sceleton-waving-smiley-emoticon

Howdy Sam!  Glad you found your way over to RW.  From reading your Bio, looks like you were drawn here much like the rest of us...Fantasy football lunatics!  Though, I don't think you have to quit ALL your other Leagues, unless you want to of course.  Most of us carry several, so no worries.  There's a lot to digest in the beginning, so take a look around, ask questions, and dive in.

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sigcru15
Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 5:42 pm

Oh yeah, and read through the bylaws a few times. They are pretty in depth, but the setup is freaking awesome.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 6:14 pm

My dog, who I like more than most people is named Sam.

WELCOME---hope you enjoy your time at RW

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sigmay18
Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies

Muskego Muskies

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 6:28 pm

Welcome Sam!

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sigmus15
Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 6:40 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Welcome Sam. So I am not sure how to read that, I think you said you want to be a prospect, but I am not positive. That is the only way to the big leagues.

Either way, this is the best place for fantasy and community in the planet, stick around! Andy (commish) is the best I've seen. If you tell him you like Bishop Sankey he may even kick someone out and just put you in the league. laughing

Thanks! I'll date Bishop Sankey if it means getting in this league. Folks here are pretty pumped about Demarco Murray and Derrick Henry and many hope that Sankey gets put out to pasture...

Yes, I guess I want to be a prospect. Sorry. Whatever it takes to make it to the big leagues, then that is what I want to do.

Appreciate the message and look forward to getting to know you all.
Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 6:42 pm

Apalachicola Oysters wrote:
Welcome, Sam!

Thank you! Looking forward to it.
Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 6:43 pm

Muskego Muskies wrote:
Welcome Sam!

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 6:45 pm

Welcome to Roster Wars Sam! Great intro post...you certainly sound like a good fit for this crowd. As you've heard, reading and rereading the bylaws is a good idea for sure. So you definitely want to be a Prospect so that you can earn your way onto our waitlist and eventually into our main league. The process is not quick. You will need to demonstrate a level of activity consistent with what we expect of our owners and do so for more than a short window of time.

I will shoot you an email soon for what I need from you to start but beyond that, jump in wherever you can and have fun. If we need anything specific from you we'll let you know...otherwise just become a solid part of our community man.

Welcome again...glad you found us!

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sigete14
Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 6:46 pm

Oaktown Malosos wrote:
Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sceleton-waving-smiley-emoticon

Howdy Sam!  Glad you found your way over to RW.  From reading your Bio, looks like you were drawn here much like the rest of us...Fantasy football lunatics!  Though, I don't think you have to quit ALL your other Leagues, unless you want to of course.  Most of us carry several, so no worries.  There's a lot to digest in the beginning, so take a look around, ask questions, and dive in.

I appreciate that! So far I love what I see. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I mean what I said before: I want one league to focus all of my attention, and I think this is it. Look forward to getting to know you.

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sigstars
Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 6:47 pm

Indiana Mayhem wrote:
My dog, who I like more than most people is named Sam.

WELCOME---hope you enjoy your time at RW

Thank you! Love that your dog and I share a name. Appreciate the greeting and look forward to working with you.
Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 6:50 pm

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Welcome to Roster Wars Sam!  Great intro post...you certainly sound like a good fit for this crowd.  As you've heard, reading and rereading the bylaws is a good idea for sure.  So you definitely want to be a Prospect so that you can earn your way onto our waitlist and eventually into our main league.  The process is not quick.  You will need to demonstrate a level of activity consistent with what we expect of our owners and do so for more than a short window of time.  

I will shoot you an email soon for what I need from you to start but beyond that, jump in wherever you can and have fun.  If we need anything specific from you we'll let you know...otherwise just become a solid part of our community man.

Welcome again...glad you found us!

Thanks so much Mr. President! I've read the bylaws twice and have a handful of questions that I will ask on the forum soon.

I'm fine with the process not being quick. I look forward to not only gaining from this forum, but also contributing to the collective knowledge of the league.

Thanks again and look forward to getting to know you! Cool
Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 6:53 pm

By the way, Andy, was Nick serious when he said you were a Bishop Sankey fan? Not passing judgement, just making sure. Cool

Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 6:55 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Oh yeah, and read through the bylaws a few times. They are pretty in depth, but the setup is freaking awesome.

Can do. Once the kids are in bed tonight I plan to put on a pot of coffee and read them again. I love it.
Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 6:59 pm

Shaferville Stars wrote:
By the way, Andy, was Nick serious when he said you were a Bishop Sankey fan? Not passing judgement, just making sure. Cool

I own him but I am not a fan.

I am broken in some respects but not in that way, rest assured.

Just sent you an email. Feel free to jump into the fray in any of the sections of the forum that you have access to.

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sigete14
Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 7:03 pm

Welcome to Roster Wars Sam.

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sigbrawlers
Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 7:12 pm

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
Welcome to Roster Wars Sam.

Thank you Russ! Looking forward to getting to know you.
Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 7:17 pm

Welcome Sam. Glad you made it over! Like others have said, the best thing you can do is stick around, be active, and post where you can.

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sigpig15
Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 7:34 pm

Philadelphia Pigskins wrote:
Welcome Sam.  Glad you made it over!  Like others have said, the best thing you can do is stick around, be active, and post where you can.  

Thanks Matt. My brother's name is Matt, so you are alright in my book. Appreciate the message and look forward to getting to know you.
Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers

San Francisco Golddiggers

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 8:44 pm

Welcome Sam.

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Siggol13
Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 8:47 pm

San Francisco Golddiggers wrote:
Welcome Sam.

Thank you Han-Yang. I look forward to getting to know you.
Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 9:10 pm

Welcome Sam glad you found us!

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sigred18
Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 10:07 pm

welcome Sam

hey

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Siggoo18
Back to top Go down
Pacific Puffins

Pacific Puffins

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptySun May 08, 2016 10:50 pm

Welcome Sam. So you are a Bengals fan from Tennessee with kids and a brother named Matt. The way I worded that makes it sound like your kid's names are Matt. That would be fun. What else should we know about you? Truth or dare is next.

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sigpuf13
Back to top Go down
England Dragons

England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptyMon May 09, 2016 12:59 am

Welcome Sam - you sound like you'll fit right in!

Get involved in threads that interest you so we can get to know you better.

cheers

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sigdra13
Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptyMon May 09, 2016 6:36 am

Shaferville Stars wrote:

Andy has Bishop Sankey Pajamas.

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sigmay18
Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptyMon May 09, 2016 7:47 am

Tarpon Springs RedKnights wrote:
Welcome Sam glad you found us!

Thank you Stylianos. Looking forward to getting to know you all.
Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptyMon May 09, 2016 7:47 am

Kane County Goon Squad wrote:
welcome Sam

hey

Thank you Eric. Glad to be here.
Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptyMon May 09, 2016 7:52 am

Morrison Minions wrote:
Welcome Sam. So you are a Bengals fan from Tennessee with kids and a brother named Matt. The way I worded that makes it sound like your kid's names are Matt. That would be fun. What else should we know about you? Truth or dare is next.

Thanks. My brother's name is Matt, and two of my children are also variants of Matt (Matty and Mathias).

Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptyMon May 09, 2016 7:52 am

England Dragons wrote:
Welcome Sam - you sound like you'll fit right in!

Get involved in threads that interest you so we can get to know you better.

cheers

Thanks Jon. Looking forward to learning more about this league.
Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptyMon May 09, 2016 8:53 am

Welcome to the league Sam.

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sigdiv12
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptyMon May 09, 2016 11:53 am

Glad to have you onboard!

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sigafr15
Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptyMon May 09, 2016 7:59 pm

Naperville Divine wrote:
Welcome to the league Sam.

Thank you Craig. Glad to be here.
Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptyMon May 09, 2016 8:00 pm

Atlanta Africans wrote:
Glad to have you onboard!

Thanks Ian! I'm in the ATL all the time. Great city.
Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers

Littleton SilverBallers

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptyMon May 09, 2016 10:27 pm

Welcome to RWs Sam! Glad to have join us

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sigsil14
Back to top Go down
Pacific Puffins

Pacific Puffins

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptyTue May 10, 2016 1:38 pm

What part of KY and TN?

I grew up in London Ky. My sister lives in Lexington. 4 years in the Army at Ft Campbell, weekends in Nashville.

Please don't say Memphis.

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sigpuf13
Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptyTue May 10, 2016 2:41 pm

Morrison Minions wrote:
What part of KY and TN?

I grew up in London Ky. My sister lives in Lexington. 4 years in the Army at Ft Campbell, weekends in Nashville.

Thank you for your service.

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sigoys15
Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptyWed May 11, 2016 7:00 am

Morrison Minions wrote:
What part of KY and TN?

In KY: Covington/Louisville

In TN: Chattanooga. Went to school in Nashville. Great city.

Appreciate your service.

Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptyWed May 11, 2016 7:01 am

Littleton SilverBallers wrote:
Welcome to RWs Sam!  Glad to have join us

Thank you sir! Glad to be here.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptyWed May 11, 2016 9:29 am

Welcome Sam... I am late as usual to these threads...

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sigoutlaws
Back to top Go down
Maple Grove Mean Machine

Maple Grove Mean Machine

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptyWed May 11, 2016 12:47 pm

Welcome Sam!

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sigmea10
Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptyWed May 11, 2016 2:19 pm

Devils Tower Outlaws wrote:
Welcome Sam...  I am late as usual to these threads...

Thank you Chris! Good to be here. My dad lives in Gillette, WY, and I've climbed Devils Tower nearly 10 times (although its been 25 years since my last climb)...

Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptyWed May 11, 2016 2:20 pm

Maple Grove Mean Machine wrote:
Welcome Sam!

Thank you Mark! Look forward to getting to know you.

Back to top Go down
North Wales Knights

North Wales Knights

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptyThu May 12, 2016 3:09 pm

Welcome Sam!

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sigkni10
Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptyFri May 13, 2016 10:55 am

North Wales Knights wrote:
Welcome Sam!

Thank you Joe! Glad to be here.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptyThu Jul 21, 2016 10:39 am

I like the new colors.  Another great effort from Andy.

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sigbrawlers
Back to top Go down
Maple Grove Mean Machine

Maple Grove Mean Machine

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptyThu Jul 21, 2016 10:44 am

Nice!

Shaferville Stars (Sam) Sigmea10
Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) EmptyThu Jul 21, 2016 11:55 am

I love those colors. Bombers esq.

And Chuck Norris is just cool.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shaferville Stars (Sam)   Shaferville Stars (Sam) Empty

Back to top Go down

Shaferville Stars (Sam)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Bulletin Board :: Check In-