CB - Chris Harris (DEN)
CB - A.J. Bouye (JAX)
S - Tony Jefferson (BAL)
S - T.J. Ward (DEN)
S - Kurt Coleman (CAR)
S - Chris Conte (TB)
S - Antoine Bethea (ARI)
S - Rodney McLeod (PHI)

Last edited by Southside Spartans on Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:26 am; edited 31 times in total
Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:11 am

2017AUG14 - Southside Spartans are pleased to announce all players are signed from the startup draft. Below are terms of agreement for all players.

QB Marcus Mariota - 6
QB Matthew Stafford - 4
QB Brian Hoyer - 1
RB Leonard Fournette - 3
RB Danny Woodhead - 1
RB Bilal Powell - 1
RB Lamar Miller - 2
RB Duke Johnson - 2
RB Jamaal Williams - 2
RB Marlon Mack - 2
RB Chris Thompson - 1
RB Kenyan Drake - 1
WR A.J. Green - 4
WR Michael Crabtree - 2
WR Terrelle Pryor - 3
WR John Brown - 3
WR Larry Fitzgerald - 1
WR Kenny Britt - 2
WR Marvin Jones - 2
WR Malcolm Mitchell - 3
WR Taywan Taylor - 3
WR Robby Anderson - 1
TE Jimmy Graham - 2
TE Dwayne Allen - 2
TE Tyler Higbee - 3
TE Erik Swoope - 2
TE Derek Carrier - 1
K Graham Gano - 1
K Cairo Santos - 1

DT Maliek Collins - 3
DT Malik McDowell - 2
DT A'Shawn Robinson - 2
DT Larry Ogunjobi - 1
DE Carlos Dunlap - 3
DE Sheldon Richardson - 3
DE Mike Daniels - 1
DE Charles Harris - 2
DE Trey Hendrickson - 1
LB C.J. Mosley - 4
LB Telvin Smith - 4
LB Sean Lee - 2
LB Kiko Alonso - 3
LB Jerrell Freeman - 1
LB Vince Williams - 2
LB Justin Houston - 2
LB Kevin Minter - 2
LB Chandler Jones - 2
LB Mason Foster - 1
CB Daryl Worley - 1
CB Casey Hayward - 1
CB A.J. Bouye - 1
CB Chris Harris - 1
S Tony Jefferson - 3
S T.J. Ward - 2
S Kurt Coleman - 2
S Chris Conte - 1
S Antoine Bethea - 1
S Rodney McLeod - 2

Total Contract Years: 118

Last edited by Southside Spartans on Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:22 pm

Post draft press conference

Overall strategy
1. What was your initial approach going into the Auction Draft?
I draft auctions by tier, not so much by player.  With being a super-flex league my priority positions were QB, WR, and LB.  Wanted to get at least 2 starting QB’s that don’t appear to have any issue remaining the starter for coming years.  WR and LB are the highest average weekly scoring positions in the league and since we can start 5 at each I wanted to stock up at these positions.  I also like the floors for most guys at those positions.  Many of the IDP positions (CB, DT, and even DE) can be a crap shoot so I wanted to get around 4 guys and hope one hits big or stream them since I knew I wouldn’t pay enough to get any of the top guys there.  My original plan was to have a roster size in low 50’s with a spending budget of 65% offense, 35% defense assuming people usually spend more on offense.  Other plan was first 7-10 nominations would be guys I didn’t really expect to get but hoped would go for high values with others bidding them up and using up money.

2. Did you end up sticking to your initial draft strategy?
Yes for the most part.  I ended up with 3 starting QB’s with 2 I trust for coming years.  Drafted 10 WR’s and LB’s so should be able to play 4-5 at each position consistently most weeks which was the goal.  Was also able to get around 4 at the other positions to be able to stream, deal with injuries, or make trades.  Roster got a little bigger than planned so will have to deal carefully with contracts but not too worried since even with dynasty I play for next 2-3 years (usually know if I’m not competitive and not afraid to blow up team and reset when needed).

3. How did you divide your spending on Offense and Defense? Any additional strategies here?
I ended up around 71% offense and 29% defense.  Early spending on the offensive studs was a LOT higher and went deeper than I expected with a few teams going all in on studs/ duds strategy.  I adjusted budgets from my original plan more due to other teams bidding and needing to stay in certain tiers.  Another thing I do after about 10-12 guys are on my roster is look at where I’m spending and then assign a value for the remaining positions on the team.  Pretty easy in Excel and lets me see the impact of spending more on WR4 or LB5 and the impacts that has to other positions (add a few bucks here takes away from another position).  

4. Any observations about the other owner’s approaches in the Auction Draft? (Good, Bad, Ugly, Surprising)
Like I said I was a little surprised with the initial amounts offensive studs went for and teams taking them.  Roster size were also a little surprising for some teams.  I knew going in I’d likely have one of the bigger rosters but some are smaller than I thought which allowed them to spend more on guys they really wanted.  Another thing not really surprising because always happens but definitely different from how I build a team is how high people value rookies over vets.  I know it’s dynasty but I try to stick with the next couple years rather than try to get the rookie that will be the 10 year superstar because I get this wrong a lot more than right.  Only other thing would be how large the offense vs. defense spending discrepancy was.  When running numbers this league is actually very well balanced (nice job commish) so I expected the spending to be a little more balanced than it ended up being.

5. What was your biggest “oh shit” moment of the draft?
Definitely Derek Carrier (TE) nomination.  I was in a meeting using my phone and made the nom not really paying attention.  I had just put a high bid on Mariota so I wanted to get Derek Carr nominated as a back-up plan (in case got outbid on MM I would have time to bid on Carr).  I had MM really high on my board and I knew I overbid on him so was also hoping the Carr nom would make teams more interested in him instead of overpaying for Mariota.  Lucky for me the next nomination on board was Carr and I ended up with MM so all worked out how I wanted.

Reflecting on your spending
6. How did the Auction go compared to your expectations and your previous experiences?
I’ve done a lot of auctions so knew the initial values would be high and that I needed to stay patient for the later values.  Just surprised just how high (as a percentage of budget) some teams went on certain players.  

7. How happy are you with how you drafted? Where do you think you overspent?
Overall I’m ok with team.  Wish I had one other top tier WR but they were just too much.  I usually build teams around WR and let the RB figure itself out as season goes.  I spent more on RB than I expected with almost 19% there.  I was hoping to spend a little less on QB than 18% but not surprising in superflex league.  I don’t really trust RB’s so usually go for quantity and I wanted 2 weekly no doubt starters at QB so no real complaints how it shook out.  The extra money at those positions did cost me my other 2nd stud WR after Green.  

8. Was there a player you missed out on and thought you would own before the draft?
Not really, like I said I don’t really go after players, more for tiers.  There were a few guys I thought I might be able to get just from where other drafts had them but they were nominated early and went pretty high.  I like Ajayi a lot but wasn’t even close to where he ended up going.  No idea where bids would have ended but Mike Evans at $125 seemed like a good deal with where prices were and wish I would have got him near that amount.  I had other WR money tied up at the time and couldn’t make a move on him.

9. Who was the one guy on your team that you couldn’t live without and had to have on your team?
Going in there wasn’t any single guy I wanted.  Gun to the head I would say Mariota in a super-flex league because I think the sky is the limit and Titans are doing all the right things for a QB to succeed for a long time.  As the draft went on this did evolve as tiers were getting emptied; there were 2 specific players I can remember worrying a little about (A.J. Green and Jimmy Graham).  I didn’t have them pegged at all as must gets but as my tiers were getting picked over I needed to grab them or be at risk of dropping tiers at each position so I put in large bids for both.  Not upset for what I paid for them since Green was a monster last year before injury and I expect Graham to be top 5 TE range.  Team would look a lot different if others would have pushed those bids.

10. Who was, in your opinion, the greatest steal on your team?
From a purely budget vs. what I got them for there were a couple.  At RB it’s Lamar Miller, people hate him (for good reason) but he still should put up low RB1 type numbers and I got him at RB18 price.  At WR it would be Crabtree and Fitzgerald since got both of them well below where I had them valued.   Jimmy Graham at TE13 price was also really nice snag.  Barring injury he should finish well above that for the next few years.  I know only one player was asked about but I was happy to pick up Rodney McLeod as my last pick.  He had a surprisingly productive year last season and should only get better since only 27.  Believe he finished around low end S1/ high end S2 in most IDP scoring last season so great value for my last pick and $1.

Assessing your squad
11. What draft grade would you give yourself (A, B, C, or D)?
Probably a B/ B+.  

12. What are your overall thoughts on your team?
Have good depth, good starter core at key positions, and enough youth to keep it interesting.  Feel like I have a very balanced team that can compete every week but may not win many shootouts.

13. Who are the 3 key players to your franchise?
Fournette, Lamar Miller, and Tyrell Pryor.  Most my RB’s are volume guys which I love at that position but these are the two that if things go right could be top 5-10 at position.  If they don’t I’ll be streaming volume guys and hope to get it right.  Pryor could really breakout in that offense this season if he continues to improve and learn the position.  If I get lucky and he becomes a low WR1 to go with A.J. then things are looking good.  Also doesn’t hurt he’s on a 1 year deal so not trapped in Washington if (after) Cousins leaves.

14. What do you perceive to be your team’s greatest weakness?
Defensive line (lumping DE and DT together).  Dunlap is a solid starter at DE but feel like the rest of the group are hit or miss.  Richardson is in contract year which is always good.  Rest are young so we’ll see what they can do.  Going into draft I knew if I didn’t get one of the top 2-3 DE’s this would be area where I wouldn’t spend as much.  I bid those top DE’s up but wasn’t in the cards.

15. What is the best (most Depth) position on your team?
LB.  Most my guys are 3 down LB’s which is what I wanted for IDP.  Assuming my rankings are close I have 3 that should put up consistent LB1 numbers and have 6-7 that should be at worst LB3 most weeks.  Pretty happy with highest average scoring position on defense.

16. What are 3 things to watch for, out of your team in 2017?
1) Who steps up.  I have a lot of volume type guys since missed some of the studs so hoping a few can step up and move up a tier.  Especially at WR position after Green.  I have 3-4 guys that sould put up WR2 numbers and hopefully they can move up to low WR1 status.
2) Lineup construction…hopefully pick right guys to play since large roster
3) How I manage trades and FA since roster is so large?  If guys don’t produce I won’t have much wiggle room in FA since contracts are spread thin.  It was a calculated risk I knew going with this strategy.

17. What record would you predict for your team for 2017?
Always a tough question since fantasy is so unpredictable and who knows if my rankings are worth anything.  Since have to answer I’ll go with 8-4 type season.  I don’t think I’m built as a weekly high score type team, more a grinding, consistently high floor type that should be in all but the big shootout type games.  I think I’m a playoff contender but only time will tell.

18. What record would you predict for your team in the year 2019?
I’ll go with 7-5/ 8-4 but who knows.  I do predict team will look different due to trades and obviously the rookie additions.  

Dealing with the competition
19. Which other team was the biggest pain in your ass?
They all were at different times in the draft.  Went in waves with who I was butting heads with.  I would say I crossed paths a lot with Sam and Mitch (and I’m sure I didn’t help their budgets much either).

20. Who was your MVP (Best Pick) of the draft?
Little coach speak here and not going to name just one.  I’m going to say Mariota, Miller, and Graham were all good pickups but for different reasons.
Marcus Mariota – I think the world of this guy (especially in super-flex league) and see him being top guy for a long time if things fall right.  Cornerstone of The Spartans franchise
Lamar Miller - Guy gives me a lot of headaches but should get plenty of touches again, should have decent game script most weeks, and I paid a fraction of what other RB1s went for.  Just hope he can break at least one tackle this season…
Jimmy Graham - Paid a fraction of what other top TE’s went at for guy that finished 5th last season and should be a top 5 TE again this year.
Wish I had a defensive guy but nothing jumps off page (I do like my top 4-5 LB’s a lot tho).  

21. Who do you feel has the strongest team right now?
Hate picking others because who knows at this point but there are a couple teams I think are built very well that will be a force.  Also tough because not sure how owners trade/ set line-ups since don’t think I’ve played with anyone here before.

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:40 am

To add depth at QB the Spartans have acquired Jacksonville QB Chad Henne.

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:04 pm

With the trade to the Colts the Spartans have added Jacoby Brissett to add more depth at QB.

The Spartan front office has growing concerns the Luck injury is feeling more like how the Colts handled Manning and seeing that Tolzien is utter crap are willing to take a chance that Brissett could be an NFL starter at some point soon.

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:02 pm

The Spartans have moved Malik McDowell to IR to open up a contract year if needed.

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:47 pm

The Spartans have moved both Erik Swoope and Malcolm Mitchell to IR.

Contract Status after moves: 120/123 years.

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:22 pm

The Spartans have moved Jerrell Freeman (LB) to IR

Contract status: 120/124 years

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:24 pm

Spartans are pleased to announce the signing of free agent Mike Tolbert (RB) - BUF

Contract status: 121/124 years

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:06 pm

Spartans are pleased to announce the signing of Alex Okafor (DE) - NO.

We expected Trey Hendrickson to win this job from his college film and athletic ability but week one Okafor played in 83% of the defensive snaps and led the Saints D-line in tackles so worth a roster spot.

Contract status: 122/124 years

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:09 pm

Spartans are pleased to announce the signing of Tyvon Branch (SS) - Ari

Off the record the Spartans were a little torn on adding Branch.  When healthy he's been a very productive safety during his career (hoping for Raider type production).  The problem is he hasn't been that healthy the last 4 years.  The Cardinals use their safeties all over the field and their SS is usually a stat machine.  He played all 71 snaps last week with good production so rolling the dice he can stay healthy...and if not there's always an IR spot for him.

Contract status: 123/124 years

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:16 pm

Spartans have agreed to terms with rookie LB Jayon Brown (TENN).

Hoping to get ahead of the crowd on this rookie. He looked good in preseason and played over 50% of the snaps in week 1 getting 4 comb tackles in 37 snaps. Coming out of UCLA I thought he was too small for LB and projected more as a S but seems to be figuring it out so far. Speculative play here.

Contract status: 124/124 years

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:41 am

Spartans have demoted Danny Woodhead to IR

Contract status: 124/125 years

On a side note, with the 5th player moved to IR in first 2 weeks of season (with 4 being players expected to earn points for Spartans at some point this year) the Spartans have fired the strength and conditioning coach and are currently scouring the open market for a new coach. dizzy

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:43 pm

Spartans have demoted K Cairo Santos to IR

Contract status: 124/126 years

Seriously...when will this stop? Who the hell loses a K to IR.

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:45 am

Spartans added K Greg Zuerlein to replace Cairo Santos.

Mixed opinions if the Rams offense can sustain this pace but not many K's out there

Contract years 125/126

Last edited by Southside Spartans on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Denver Demons

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:16 pm

Southside Spartans wrote:
Spartans added K Greg Zuerlein to replace Cairo Santos.

Mixed opinions if the Rams offense can sustain this pace but not many K's out there

What? You didn't wanna trade for one? laughing

Back to top Go down
Kansas City Kings

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:49 pm

Spartans have demoted K Cairo Santos to IR

Contract status: 124/126 years

Seriously...when will this stop?  Who the hell loses a K to IR.

I have two on IR right now. This year has to be some kind of record for the amount of kickers sent to IR.

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:24 am

With the Chiefs decision to cut Cairo Santos rather than keep him on IR the Spartans have followed suit and cut him since he's a FA (no WB penalty). We can't keep our man card and 3 kickers on the roster at the same time.

Current contract status: 124/125 years.

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:44 pm

Southside Spartans / Kansas City Kings Trade

Southside Spartans gave up Mack, Marlon IND RB; Year 2018 Round 2 Draft Pick
Kansas City Kings gave up Bryant, Dez DAL WR

Spartan organization had high hopes for Marlon Mack but couldn't pass up the opportunity to add another WR1/2 to the roster for this years run.

Contract status: 125/125 years

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:29 pm

The Spartans have added Packers QB Brett Hundley for a bid of 21WB to add depth to QB position.

To make room the Spartans drop QB Chad Henne (fee of 5WB)

Spartans surely overpayed for Hundley but we figure it's worth the shot for added depth in Superflex league.  Spartan organization has history with losing QBs just before playoffs in other superflex leagues so trying to protect against that where possible.  Hundley has shown some positive things in preseason/ limited action and he has the offense and weapons so giving him a shot.

Contract: 125/125 years

Processed by Minor League Commish

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:04 pm

New toy for watching football. Use a Sony card for all my work travel and been saving thee points for this.. Guess work BS is good for something.

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:19 pm

New toy for watching football. Use a Sony card for all my work travel and been saving thee points for this.. Guess work BS is good for something.

pretty colors pretty colors pretty colors pretty colors pretty colors pretty colors

Back to top Go down
Polk High Panthers

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:22 pm

Nice

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:50 am

Well, are you in business yet?  We're you up all night getting things set up?

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:19 am

Gonna be a fun Sunday for someone this week!

Back to top Go down
Kalamazoo Nukes

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:18 pm

Very nice! you got any pictures of it in use.

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:39 am

Spartans have moved LB Mason Foster to IR

Contract status: 125/126

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:35 pm

The Spartans are pleased to announce the signing of Oakland DT Justin Ellis for 3WB. Team weakness has been the DT position almost every week and Ellis has been hot the last 3 weeks.

Contract status: 126/126

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:13 am

The Spartans have signed Tavon Wilson (S) and cut Larry Ogunjobi (DT).  

5WB for cuttin Ogunjobi.

Contract status: 126/126

Processed by the Minor League Commish

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:30 am

Spartans have moved Tyvon Branch (S) to IR

Contract status: 126/127

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Southside Spartans Press Room   

Back to top Go down