:: I forgot my password
x

Share | 

Tanking question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Tanking question   Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:25 pm

If someone decides to change his lineup due to a vision from the almighty and starts Johnny Matziel over Bradford, Cassel, and Mariota is that considered tanking or just stupid?
And did I mention Johnny is playing against a tough D from Cinci that is 7-0?

And if Johnny does very well (over 10 fantasy points) will that person that started him be considered a genius or just lucky?

hmmmmmmmmmm.... so much to ponder!

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:48 pm

If I ever have doubts, I will look into it. I have faith in the owners of this league to play it straight and I also believe firmly in one being able to run their team even if it goes against conventional wisdom.

I benched Drew Brees in my other league last week and someone there just cannot fathom it...which is ridiculous because if you knew dick you would know Brees has been a huge steaming pile of shit this year so fuck him even if once in a while he goes off. I traded Brees this week so I consider it a WIN for me nonetheless.

Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:40 pm

WOOOOO GOOO JOHNNY!!! I BELIEVE!

P.S. Fluck you Eifert...

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 pm

Bradford and Cassel are terrible, Mariota is coming off an injury. Nothing fishy about that at all. At least he could give you some rushing yards.

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:51 pm

I'm benching Rodgers in a league this week that I'm currently the #1 seed.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:24 am

New England Nineties wrote:

Only bench Rodgers when he plays Denver LOL

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:14 am

Man, Rodgers killed a lot of teams last week and hasn't had his freak show presence his last 3 games, but I can never ever bench him. In any format.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:50 am

good idea. You should rest him so that he's available for your playoffs. No reason getting the guy hurt. Next level stuff there.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:14 pm

This is a great topic. I think Rodgers should be started too.

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:00 pm

The fear of pink would be enough to prevent serious tanking in my opinion. You have to draw a fine line between rebuilding and setting yourself up to tank or you will be pink.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:45 pm

I'm benching him too. I fully expect someones head to explode over it too. Hopefully if it's the wrong play it's not to the tune of how wrong I was last week with Brees but even if it is, I can deal with it.

Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:37 pm

Not me...Starting Rodgers with confidence where I own him. Expect 20+...J. Norman be damned!

Back to top Go down
Kirksville Growlers

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:25 pm

I can see that with Bradford and Cassel also being yuck. Marriota isnt a lock coming back this week and I didnt start him this week for that same reason

Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:43 pm

Minnesota Eternals wrote:

I'm benching him too.  I fully expect someones head to explode over it too.  Hopefully if it's the wrong play it's not to the tune of how wrong I was last week with Brees but even if it is, I can deal with it.

Eating "Crow" so far...(Especially since I had SuperCam and sat him for Rodgers) scared

**But gotta love the second half!!! vote yes

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:42 pm

Andy has egg on his face again. sad2 laughing

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:10 pm

Wait until next week. With no QBs are we allowed to run the wildcat? That won't be considered tanking will it?

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:13 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Andy has egg on his face again. sad2 laughing

I am sure he will come in here talking about it still being a smart move even though 99% of the world knew it wasnt....

eating popcorn eating popcorn eating popcorn

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:28 pm

i have always played by the rule of "always start your studs". No matter what, regardless of matchup. I would rather have my stud have a bad day while starting, than a great day on my bench.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:25 pm

Always start your studs is silly. It's kind of a cop out because if it blows up in your face you just throw your hands up in the air and act like there was nothing you could do and people accept it.

How many of you have started the perfect lineup? Meaning you had nobody on your bench that outdid one of your starters?

So now that we agree it's almost NEVER and usually only occurs when one's team is absolute shit or bye weeks remove any other options.

So that said, it's really silly to me when people come down on those who start players that aren't a "popular choice" and believe me the peanut gallery in my other league is abuzz but who cares. If I had started Mariota over Rodgers, then what? Just as insane going in but that would have been the right choice...the only difference is the peanut gallery shuts the fuck up and never acknowledges the good call.

I am bummed that my choice didn't pan out but I stand by the WHY I did it. This week it was a close call so I get it if people don't agree. I am still annoyed that someone is so dense as to think last week Brees was a no-brainer...which would only be true if you don't watch football and had 2013 Drew Brees in your mind.

I am alright with being wrong personally...if I ever resorted to the "always start your studs" policy I think I would severely reduce my time spent on this hobby seeing as I could manage with 5 minutes per week to compete under those terms.

In the past I have seen some folks make essentialy the same argument in another way which I also found to be insane. They would basically only roster 1 QB and their argument for not adding another was that they didn't want to have to decide between the two options....really pussy!?!?! So let your competition get that other QB or let them remain available for anyone else to use? haha.

The saying should be known as "always start your studs if your scared to be wrong". I'm not scared and I don't ask others who I should start. I find those folks weird too. Why play if you aren't gonna make the call?

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:50 pm

Well now that I know that gets under your skin so much, I will continue to poke that bear down the road. laughing

In all seriousness, if I have players like ARod, Julio, AB, Bell, etc I play that guy every week. I just feel like I have a lot invested in those players and they will do me good way more often than not. Of course you can never be right all the time but I play it safe with my top end guys if I can.

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:53 pm

It's kind of like not using the Patriots in a pick-me so to speak.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:54 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Well now that I know that gets under your skin so much, I will continue to poke that bear down the road. laughing

In all seriousness, if I have players like ARod, Julio, AB, Bell, etc I play that guy every week. I just feel like I have a lot invested in those players and they will do me good way more often than not. Of course you can never be right all the time but I play it safe with my top end guys if I can.

I understand man. I'm taking my shit out here because ya'll can take it...I am not gonna get into a pissing match with others about it so thanks for listening. Nobody harps on the "always start your studs" crowd so they shouldn't harp on others is just my stance.

haha

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:55 pm

Naperville Divine wrote:
It's kind of like not using the Patriots in a pick-me so to speak.

Only a dumbass would do that. wink

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:10 am

I benched him too. Unlike Andy, I generally do believe in "always start your studs." The only problem is on this team, I have two studs, the other being Rivers. Given the Packers' offensive woes and their match-ups this week, I felt like it was a decent gamble to go with a different stud.

Rivers could still put up a big game, but not looking good at this point. Besides, if he craps the bed, Justin's season is over in RW, so it'd almost be worth it for that reason.

Other than Brady, Rivers is the only guy I would've considered this for. Any other QB's and I'm auto-starting Rodgers until he retires.

Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:12 am

I don't agree with tanking because it can cost owners who are still in it, to get knocked out of the playoff race.  Mainly because the teams that person is trying to catch is getting easy wins, because the tanking team is not starting their stud players.  

So start your stud players!  And don't start backups over them!

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:36 am

Littleton SilverBallers wrote:
I don't agree with tanking because it can cost owners who are still in it, to get knocked out of the playoff race.  Mainly because the teams that person is trying to catch is getting easy wins, because the tanking team is not starting their stud players.  

So start your stud players!  And don't start backups over them!

This isn't a tanking thrrad. This is the Aaron Rodgers thread. Jeez, get with the program.

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:28 am

Aaron Rodgers is Aaron Rodgers.

Question is, who the fuck is Eddie Lacy this season? I have him in a couple of leagues just can't start him anymore.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:25 am

England Dragons wrote:

Question is, who the fuck is Eddie Lacy this season? I have him in a couple of leagues just can't start him anymore.

Yep, in one of my leagues I have Ingram, Hillman, Lacy, DMC and Jamaal. With Jamaal dead, I was starting Ingram and Hillman this week which killed me. Yesterday morning they said Hillman will suit up but be on a pitch count so I put Lacy in over DMC with wishful thinking. Idiot, should have played DMC, I would have won. I have Dez and I didn't want two players on a bad offense (So I thought).

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:35 am

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
England Dragons wrote:

Yep, in one of my leagues I have Ingram, Hillman, Lacy, DMC and Jamaal. With Jamaal dead, I was starting Ingram and Hillman this week which killed me. Yesterday morning they said Hillman will suit up but be on a pitch count so I put Lacy in over DMC with wishful thinking. Idiot, should have played DMC, I would have won. I have Dez and I didn't want two players on a bad offense (So I thought).

I feel your pain. I've handcuffed him with Starks in both leagues - had to start both in a 16 teamer yesterday so that helped - but next week I'm starting Starks in both and not Lacy.

I know what's gonna happen but I've resisted doing it for a few weeks now. No more.

Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:38 am

England Dragons wrote:
Titletown Tyrants wrote:
England Dragons wrote:

I feel your pain. I've handcuffed him with Starks in both leagues - had to start both in a 16 teamer yesterday so that helped - but next week I'm starting Starks in both and not Lacy.

I know what's gonna happen but I've resisted doing it for a few weeks now. No more.

Rolling Eyes

Shame when it happens but you have to roll with the guys who are putting up points. Lacy is no longer a stud, and he is not even on the field 50% of the time. Hard to put up points when you are riding the pine. I am starting Starks moving forward in the TC league. Been screwed from the get-go as Lacy was my first round pick.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:03 pm

I was in Atlantic City once and a friend split 10s against a face card.  He ended up pulling two aces.  Won a lot of money.  Still a dumb move though.

This game is random but there is a pattern to the randomness.  Those that get the ball the most tend to do better.  Or have a better chance of scoring TDs.  Or be in position to take advantage of the lucky plays, i.e. Dez last night.  Cole Beasley may have scored more points than Dez last night but you'll win a hell of a lot more if you stick with Dez.  

Unless two players are very similar in skill/position/opportunity or unless my WR is facing a shut-down corner, I'm going with the better player and not worrying about the matchup.  Do I get an occasional down week?  Sure.  But I win a lot more than I lose playing that way.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:11 pm

England Dragons wrote:

Always start your studs bro. Just sayin. It applies until the majority decides it doesn't.

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:12 pm

England Dragons wrote:

Always start your studs bro. Just sayin. It applies until the majority decides it doesn't.

It's okay though. In one of my 2 Eddie Lacy leagues, I have Dion Lewis. It's all good.

raise eyebrow

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:13 pm

England Dragons wrote:

You make a good point though. When does 'a stud' become 'not a stud'?

shrug

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:17 pm

England Dragons wrote:
England Dragons wrote:

You make a good point though. When does 'a stud' become 'not a stud'?

shrug

More importantly why does "not a stud" get labeled a "stud"?

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:28 pm

Group think I guess?

Are you suggesting that Eddie Lacy was never a stud? If so, we need to consider who would be. He was RW RB#8 in 2013 and RW RB#6 in 2014. I think that's pretty studly.

Of course, you may have been referring to something else...

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:37 pm

Two top 8 finishes in back to back years is surely a stud.

I consider a stud top 10 at his position in multiple years.

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:46 pm

England Dragons wrote:

Okay, so here is my issue with contrarian thinking and group thinking. First, there is two types of group think

1. Sheep group think. This is where people do not know or care to know anything about the matter at hand, and just want to follow what everyone else is doing. For an example of this look look at how most people invest for retirement. They are quick to throw their money into a 401k or some other plan and just pick a popular index without doing any or much homework. This type of group think is very bad and contrarian thinkers come off looking good a lot of the time.

2. Experienced group think. This type of group think happens when one has studied the matter at hand and compared his notes/experiences with others who have also studied the matter and all have found similar results. For an example of this look at a game like black jack. If you are dealt a K8 and the dealer is showing 6 experience tells you to hold. This is group think since this is what everyone would do in this situation. There are times when holding will lose, and there are times win hitting will win. Think of playing Mariota vs Rodgers yesterday. If you call this right you are very lucky as it does not happen very often... In the long run you will win more (or at least lose less) holding here. Contrarian thinking here is not wise and will often make one look the fool.

The question then becomes how do you clssify "Starting your studs"? Is it sheep thinking or experienced thinking? I think that true legit studs (this word is used way to much if you ask me) fall under experienced group think. There are about 15 of these based on RW scoring right now. They need to be healthy guys scoring legit 20+ per game. After that guys start to fall out of this category.

Just my 2cents or 25 cents here...

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:26 pm

Only 15 no brainer every week starts? That seems very low

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:40 am

Good post Dave.

A few things, when I benched Rodgers this week it also has to do with the situation. The situation was that "playing it safe" wouldn't likely get me a win so I gambled on a guy who I thought COULD outperform based on matchup etc etc. I am able to live or in this case die with that decision. The issue for me is when outsiders act like they have it all figured out with their gutless pussified stance of always start your studs which doesn't acknowledge the situation or the fact that studs do not ALWAYS come out on top. In my case, my opponent should be happy that I felt the need to gamble and be happier that it didn't pan out for me. From there he/she should shut the fuck up and stop acting like they know everything.

As for Lacy....I don't think he is a stud. I don't think he is a stud the same way I don't think Mike Evans is a stud. Am I saying they suck? Nope.

A stud IMO is a player that can make hay in all but the very worst conditions on a very consistent basis and quite honestly I don't think a player in their first 3 years can be declared a stud...they can certainly be on the studly path but they aren't there yet. I don't only look at the numbers either...I watch them...I see what's going on and I take it into account. Lacy has and may always benefit from where he is but I don't believe for a second that he could do shit with half the teams in the NFL. Mike Evans is big...it went very well in college and he was drafted high and came to the NFL with that reputation and has always been heavily targeted and he IS GOOD ENOUGH to make that work more often than not BUT he has done next to nothing to impress me with his play....he just has a size advantage and is heavily targeted but I don't see anything about his play that says "wow, that guy is on another level". He's just not. He's good and that's all....and that is good enough....but he is not a stud.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tanking question   

Back to top Go down

Tanking question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Main RW Lobby-
Jump to: