HomeLog inRegisterFAQSearch
x
x
x
x
x
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
x

Share | 
 

 Beekeeping

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Mohawk Ridge Marauders
 
 
avatar

Posts : 20441

PostSubject: Beekeeping   Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:24 pm

So I figure it has been awhile and I could use another new hobby. What with Coin Collecting, Metal Detecting, Astronomy, Miniature Painting, Fantasy Football and various tabletop and online games vying for my attention I figure why not add beekeeping to the list?

Going to get two hives going next spring. Doing my research from now until then.

cheers


Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5749

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:39 pm

[bad pun] SWEET [/bad pun]


Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 4463

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:47 pm

Gotta post a photo of your beekeeper suit.


Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders
 
 
avatar

Posts : 20441

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:35 pm

Can't start till spring. If I started hives now they wouldn't have enough honey to make it through the winter.


Back to top Go down
England Dragons
 
 
avatar

Posts : 9005

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:12 am

You couldn't pay me enough money to go near a fucking bee on purpose.

 you are crazy 


Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine
 
 
avatar

Posts : 3132

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:43 am

Beekeeping is too dangerous. I suggest snake charming.


Back to top Go down
Baja Beatniks
 
 
avatar

Posts : 3587

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:35 am

I've wanted to scrape honey off the comb since LeVar Burton showed me how on Reading Rainbow. Working in that suit for the other parts would suck, though. Try it without the suit at least once. Maybe they won't sting you.  Neutral 


Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders
 
 
avatar

Posts : 20441

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:18 am

Fun fact - they can string through the suit if they really want to. Most experienced beekeepers ONLY wear the veil so that they don't have bees in their eyes/nose/mouth while they work.


Back to top Go down
Luxembourg Miners
 
 
avatar

Posts : 467

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:12 pm

England Dragons wrote:
You couldn't pay me enough money to go near a fucking bee on purpose.

 you are crazy 

 good post 


Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders
 
 
avatar

Posts : 20441

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:42 pm

Honey bees are super friendly!


Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow
 
 
avatar

Posts : 6574

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:30 pm

Luxembourg Miners wrote:
England Dragons wrote:
You couldn't pay me enough money to go near a fucking bee on purpose.

 you are crazy 

 good post 

Yeah, right there with this one.

Pretty sure I could come up with much more enjoyable, exciting, much fucking less painful, hobbies.

The mile high club, things like that, come to mind.


Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders
 
 
avatar

Posts : 20441

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:45 pm

Laughing

Maybe I'm crazy. Maybe the urge will vanish before next spring. We'll see though. Seems like a rewarding thing to do!


Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate
 
 
avatar

Posts : 3920

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:00 pm

Unless you are going to market your own honey product, what's the fucking point? Go buy yourself a jar of fucking honey.


Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights
 
 
avatar

Posts : 8339

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:10 pm

Chicago Crime Syndicate wrote:
Unless you are going to market your own honey product, what's the fucking point?  Go buy yourself a jar of fucking honey.  
Ya dude serious... Jason hit the nail on the head. Sounds to me like what you really need is a nice comfy chair and a middle ages psychologist across from you asking you what the fluck are you lacking in your flakking life to have to pick the stupidest most weirdest hobbies? did you're mommy not hug you enough as a kid? maybe a frontal lobotomy would be something good to consider from you're loved ones next birthday? Just saying dude. I love you like the next guy but wow dude you have problems wow.... pumpkin wow...


Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow
 
 
avatar

Posts : 6574

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:28 pm

Florida Chaetomorpha wrote:
Chicago Crime Syndicate wrote:
Unless you are going to market your own honey product, what's the fucking point?  Go buy yourself a jar of fucking honey.  
Ya dude serious... Jason hit the nail on the head. Sounds to me like what you really need is a nice comfy chair and a middle ages psychologist across from you asking you what the fluck are you lacking in your flakking life to have to pick the stupidest most weirdest hobbies? did you're mommy not hug you enough as a kid? maybe a frontal lobotomy would be something good to consider from you're loved ones next birthday? Just saying dude. I love you like the next guy but wow dude you have problems wow.... pumpkin wow...

This from someone that named his team after Seaweed.

 Shocked Shocked 


Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights
 
 
avatar

Posts : 8339

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:46 pm

Decatur Demons wrote:
Florida Chaetomorpha wrote:
Chicago Crime Syndicate wrote:
Unless you are going to market your own honey product, what's the fucking point?  Go buy yourself a jar of fucking honey.  
Ya dude serious... Jason hit the nail on the head. Sounds to me like what you really need is a nice comfy chair and a middle ages psychologist across from you asking you what the fluck are you lacking in your flakking life to have to pick the stupidest most weirdest hobbies? did you're mommy not hug you enough as a kid? maybe a frontal lobotomy would be something good to consider from you're loved ones next birthday? Just saying dude. I love you like the next guy but wow dude you have problems wow.... pumpkin wow...

This from someone that named his team after Seaweed.

 Shocked Shocked 

Hey even my seaweed knows that a team needs a QB...
#Iseeyoustillhavealexsmithwow


Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders
 
 
avatar

Posts : 20441

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:09 pm

Whoa! I usually get at least a small handful of supporters with my cockamamie plans!

So let me start off by saying that I have always been almost phobic of bees. I've been stung a lot as a kid and fuck that.

Now we need to settle one point.

Bees are awesome. Wasps, Hornets, and Yellow Jackets are winged assholes of pain and fury.



Secondly since the United States started using something called Systemic Pesticides we have seen the rise of something called Colony Collapse Disorder. This has caused bees to die off by the tens of millions. This is very bad. 33% of all the fruits and vegetables we consume come as a direct result of bee pollination. An added 15 BILLION dollars worth of produce from these little guys. Without bees we'd be fucked pretty proper.

If I buy and care for two hives it's not going to save the world or anything but it might help a little. There is not much that I do in my life that is for the benefit of society. Just a plain and simple fact. Oh sure I'll give a few bucks to St. Judes here and there and make some donations but, in the end, I really only worry about myself and my family. I'm not going to make much of anything off two hives. Maybe $1,000 a year, TOPS. You don't do it for the money. People say you keep bees and just hope to break even.

But I feel like I'd be helping more than myself by keeping them. I'm not too worried about getting stung. This guy certainly isn't:



shrug

Maybe the urge will pass before spring. I ordered a couple of books to learn more. Certainly not rushing into anything.

And if you fucks aren't total assholes maybe I'll ship you guys some organic honey on the cheap.

Pricks.

<3

troll


Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders
 
 
avatar

Posts : 20441

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:13 pm

Here's a really cool video on the bee problem if you have Netflix.

Some states (like Virginia) are offering to reimburse over $2,000 of the cost of setting up hives.

Plus lots of shit like this:

Quote :
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), today announced $8 million in Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) incentives for Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin farmers and ranchers who establish new habitats for declining honey bee populations.

Systemic pesticides are fucking NASTY. It used to be that pesticides were applied to crops via dusters and misters. That meant that you could wash them off and they would wash off after a certain period of time. Systemic pesticides are these little grains that farmers plow into the fields with their seeds when they plant and the crops themselves have the pesticides INSIDE them.

Now I'm no organic whole foods health nut but that sounds pretty fucked up to me.


Back to top Go down
England Dragons
 
 
avatar

Posts : 9005

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:25 pm

You couldn't pay me enough money to go near a fucking bee on purpose.

 you are crazy 


Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders
 
 
avatar

Posts : 20441

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:28 pm

I hear you English. You have to have nerves of fucking steel to be anywhere near honey bees.



Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders
 
 
avatar

Posts : 20441

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:36 pm

Brief write up on systemics.

My plan isn't without problems though. I have no fucking clue where I'm going to put these things. The best spot for them is right by my pool or against the back fence. You're not supposed to have them within 10 feet of your property line though and kids run down my fence line to get to the soccer field all the time. I'm afraid if I put them right near my pool they'll use that as their water source and a whole bunch will drown.



Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad
 
 
avatar

Posts : 8246

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:13 pm

"Whoa! I usually get at least a small handful of supporters with my cockamamie plans!"

I'll support you bro, sounds like fun & fuck the suit - enter the danger zone


Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders
 
 
avatar

Posts : 20441

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:27 pm

Kane County Goon Squad wrote:
"Whoa! I usually get at least a small handful of supporters with my cockamamie plans!"

I'll support you bro, sounds like fun & fuck the suit - enter the danger zone

cheers

Did you know that there are a bunch of different breeds of Honey Bees? Things I learn...


Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5393

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:48 am

Yikes. No thanks.

Good for you though :)


Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals
 
 
avatar

Posts : 23763

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:19 am

Not my thing but I will encourage playing with bees (with as little protection as you want) before I will encourage buying a new car.  laughing 


Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders
 
 
avatar

Posts : 20441

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:26 am

ROTFLMAO

Thanks dudes.


Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad
 
 
avatar

Posts : 8246

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:34 pm

Mohawk Ridge Marauders wrote:
Kane County Goon Squad wrote:
"Whoa! I usually get at least a small handful of supporters with my cockamamie plans!"

I'll support you bro, sounds like fun & fuck the suit - enter the danger zone

cheers

Did you know that there are a bunch of different breeds of Honey Bees?  Things I learn...


Back to top Go down
Baja Beatniks
 
 
avatar

Posts : 3587

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:05 pm

Yes to shipments of pure honey, please. Do you have kickass flower gardens already?


Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders
 
 
avatar

Posts : 20441

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:48 pm

Very kick ass


Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5749

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:37 pm

When can we place an order????


Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine
 
 
avatar

Posts : 3132

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:03 pm

I have a wasp nest in my gutter that you can come and help with.


Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7205

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:14 pm

Norfolk Bombers wrote:
When can we place an order????

 good post 

I just started growing vegetables, and theres already too many bees for me. I hate bees. When I was a kid I was chopping wood in the forest and accidentally chopped into a nest that was in a log. Got stung 15 times on my face. Scared of them ever since. But I will definitely take advantage of your work and enjoy the fruits of your labor if possible!



Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders
 
 
avatar

Posts : 20441

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:58 pm

Are they bees or wasps and hornets?

Did you know (depending on what you're growing) you'll get up to 33% more with bees pollinating than without?!

I think I'll be growing my first garden ever next year. Oh boy. I'm terrified of wasps and hornets myself.

As for the honey it'll be awhile. I'll be setting up two or three hives in March next year. I'll be buying one queen and three pounds of bees (about 10,000) for each hive. They'll be working hard all year to fill up both brood boxes with brood, wax and honey. That first year I'm not going to harvest any honey at all. That'll be for the bees to survive the winter off of and expand. The following year I'll add a screen (called an excluder) and two more boxes on top. That'll allow the workers to move up to the top boxes but not the queen. So there won't be any brood (larva) in the top boxes.

That honey will be all for me. Some people say you CAN harvest the first year (at least a little) but I'm not sure if I will. The bottom two brood boxes are supposed to be at least 85% full before you add a super (the boxes above.)

That kind of hive is called a Langstroth Hive.



You can call the bottom boxes Brood Boxes, Deep Supers. I prefer to call them Brood Boxes because that's where the brood lives! My hive setup will be identical except I'll have two brood boxes on my hives. I'll be keeping a breed of honey bee called the Carniolan. (Other breeds include Russian, Italian, German, Cordovan, etc.)

Here's a picture of the cute little guys.



Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders
 
 
avatar

Posts : 20441

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:59 pm

Naperville Divine wrote:
I have a wasp nest in my gutter that you can come and help with.

Kill it with fucking fire. Fuck wasps. Ugh. You couldn't pay me enough to go near them.


Back to top Go down
Singapore Slings
 
 
avatar

Posts : 2002

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:26 pm

Good for you Justin- I'd look into this but with two small kids and an "average" sized back yard, no way. If you don't mind sharing- how much is the startup cost? Like 10,000 bees a queen and a hive?

FYI, there is a beekeeping supply store or manufacturer of hives in northern Minneota - Hackensack. I don't know anything beyond "they do soemthing for bee keepers." It was near the resort my family went to for years. The More You Know...


Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders
 
 
avatar

Posts : 20441

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:24 pm

Getting the soup-to-nuts hive setup is $215 plus shipping.  Queen and bees figure $40.  A full suit will run you $80.  Head screen is another $30.  Smoker is $20.  Smoker fuel is $5.  Various tools figure another $40 on the high end.

That's it to do it the right way.  There are other things people who get really into it like to buy that make processing the honey and wax easier but I don't know a ton about those machines yet and you certainly don't need them.

The size requirement for bees is very small and kids are usually pretty good about learning "don't tip the hives over." Laughing I'll be putting a secondary fence around my hives.


Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5393

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:48 pm



Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders
 
 
avatar

Posts : 20441

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:53 pm

Fuck wasps!


Back to top Go down
Vegas Beach Tiger Sharks
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1093

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:14 pm

Mohawk Ridge Marauders wrote:
So I figure it has been awhile and I could use another new hobby.  What with Coin Collecting, Metal Detecting, Astronomy, Miniature Painting, Fantasy Football and various tabletop and online games vying for my attention I figure why not add beekeeping to the list?



I somehow just saw this thread now (I guess because it originated right around when I was leaving for my trip). Anyway, I simply saw that the title of the thread was, "Beekeeping," and somehow my first thought was, "Justin definitely started this thread," and I looked over to see--sure enough--Mohawk Ridge Marauders listed in the "Author" column.

I don't mean that in any way as a negative thing whatsoever, no judgement of any sort coming from me, but I just thought it was funny that I somehow knew immediately that it was Justin's thread. Gotta be from his other quirky hobbies I figure, but I love your passion, keep doing your thing bro!

Bees up, hoes down 4 life!


Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders
 
 
avatar

Posts : 20441

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:21 pm

Vegas Beach Tiger Sharks wrote:
Mohawk Ridge Marauders wrote:
So I figure it has been awhile and I could use another new hobby.  What with Coin Collecting, Metal Detecting, Astronomy, Miniature Painting, Fantasy Football and various tabletop and online games vying for my attention I figure why not add beekeeping to the list?



I somehow just saw this thread now (I guess because it originated right around when I was leaving for my trip). Anyway, I simply saw that the title of the thread was, "Beekeeping," and somehow my first thought was, "Justin definitely started this thread," and I looked over to see--sure enough--Mohawk Ridge Marauders listed in the "Author" column.

I don't mean that in any way as a negative thing whatsoever, no judgement of any sort coming from me, but I just thought it was funny that I somehow knew immediately that it was Justin's thread. Gotta be from his other quirky hobbies I figure, but I love your passion, keep doing your thing bro!

Bees up, hoes down 4 life!

cheers

Already called my town's zoning officer to ensure there would be no issues. I'll be getting three hives in spring. All systems are a go!


Back to top Go down
England Dragons
 
 
avatar

Posts : 9005

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:53 am

end it 


Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad
 
 
avatar

Posts : 8246

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:06 pm



Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders
 
 
avatar

Posts : 20441

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:14 pm



Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow
 
 
avatar

Posts : 6574

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:14 pm

Back to this...

I really am beginning to question your sanity.


Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders
 
 
avatar

Posts : 20441

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:37 am

What sanity?

troll


Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow
 
 
avatar

Posts : 6574

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:11 pm

It's something I've heard about. I guess it must affect other folks.


Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders
 
 
avatar

Posts : 20441

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:12 pm

Decatur Demons wrote:
It's something I've heard about. I guess it must affect other folks.

Never heard of it! Laughing


Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5749

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:16 pm

Decatur Demons wrote:
It's something I've heard about. I guess it must affect other folks.

Did Bob get lost in the threads...


Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow
 
 
avatar

Posts : 6574

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:18 pm

Norfolk Bombers wrote:
Decatur Demons wrote:
It's something I've heard about. I guess it must affect other folks.

Did Bob get lost in the threads...

He gets lost walking down the street anymore.


Back to top Go down
JosephO
 
 
avatar

Posts : 61

PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:35 am

As a man with many fruit tree and bushes in my yard I can appreciate the need for honey bees. my neighbor has 4 hives and without them I couldn't have Cherry, Apple, Plum, Peach, Blueberries, Strawberries & Blackberries in my yard. I support your cause!


Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Beekeeping   

Back to top Go down
 
Beekeeping
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Free For All-
Jump to: