x

Share | 

Tony Gonzalez TE FA

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:11 pm

Quote :
(FFToday) Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez said Thursday that next season probably will be his last - though it's not the first offseason he has said that, nor does should it come as a surprise. Gonzalez, who last month signed a one-year, $6.9 million contract extension with the idea that the 2012 season might be his last one, oddly made Thursday's declaration not through the team or his agent but rather on an ESPN/Facebook chat.

I have always been lukewarm when it comes to Gonzo but there is no denying what a great career he has had.  I cannot imagine him playing past 2012.
Back to top Go down
Minnesota Destroyers

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:50 am

Still puts up pretty solid numbers in the TE category. He'll be in Canton for sure.

Back to top Go down
St. Louis Duffers

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:03 am

He will definately be in canton, but you can see a decline in his production expecially now that hey have julio.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:16 am

Not very much of a decline IMO. He had a great season in 2011.

Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:06 pm

I didn't think he declined much either. Canton for sure. I think 1 more year and he should call it quits, don't feel he has anything to prove IMO

Back to top Go down
Carolina Werewolves

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:09 am

I do see a drop in TDs from his KC days, but that is more a function of the offensive strategy than Julio Jones, who i think in many ways is overrated. Especially in the 1.5 PPR category Gonzo is a good alternative to spending a high draft pick on a Graham, Gronk, or Finley( who was the most overhyped player going into 2011)

Back to top Go down
Wyoming Headhunters

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:39 pm

(Rotoworld) Tony Gonzalez said at the start of Falcons camp that he's "95 percent" sure this will be his final season in the NFL. Analysis: Gonzo is only signed through 2012, and his plan all along has been to hang up the cleats after -- hopefully -- a Super Bowl run. Gonzalez, 36, racked up 80 receptions for 875 yards and seven touchdowns last season, after appearing to have little left in the tank the previous year. He's a back-end TE1 this season.

IF its true.....thanks for the ride dude. Been a pleasure. bow

Back to top Go down
Carolina Werewolves

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:35 am

I drafted/auctioned Tony G. knowing that this was his last year. He has had a first ballet hall of fame career and with Julio&Roddy opening it up deep his last year will be one of his best.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:32 am

Quote :
Tony Gonzalez will be back, Sean Weatherspoon thinks

Tony Gonzalez says he's 95 percent certain this season was his last, but the Atlanta Falcons would welcome him back.

"I'm hoping for the five percent," coach Mike Smith told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Monday. "Tony handled this very well all season long. I don't think he's deviated from that."

Smith plans to talk with his 36-year-old tight end over the next couple of weeks. Gonzalez showed no decline in his play this season, leading the Falcons with 93 catches for 930 yards and eight touchdowns. He was especially productive in Sunday's NFC title game loss to the San Francisco 49ers, grabbing eight receptions for 78 yards and a score.

Linebacker Sean Weatherspoon believes the strength of Atlanta's roster -- the Falcons finished 13-3 in the regular season and fell just short of the Super Bowl -- will keep Gonzalez in the fold.

"I think he's coming back," Weatherspoon said. "I think if we had a bad year, he wouldn't come back. But we had a great year, so I think we are right there."

Gonzalez sounded at peace with his decision on Sunday. At 36, the concept of offseason schedules and another training camp might represent a negative for Gonzalez, but his desire for a ring could trump all of that.

I'd be surprised if he really retires.

Back to top Go down
Utah Spazz

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:36 am

Why wouldn't he retire? That was the best shot the Falcons had at getting to the Super Bowl, not like they are going to get any better in the offseason. He had a hell of a year, and that would be a great way to end his career in my opinion.

Back to top Go down
http://www.fakeplastictunes.com/
San Diego Killers

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:37 pm

I would be surprised if he will retire... Just never felt like this was his last year

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:11 pm

Quote :
Head coach Mike Smith said that team does not have a timetable for tight end Tony Gonzalez to decide if he's going to retire or return to the team. "I don't that there is anything concrete in terms of a timetable," Smith said. "But I think that conversation will take place. I had a conversation with him the week after the season and we'll probably have another here real soon." Analysis: Gonzalez stated during last season that he was likely to retire but don't be surprised if he conveniently misses a portion of off-season workouts and ends up on the field in Week 1.

The team would be best suited if the draft his replacement this year regardless. At worst they'll have a really solid rookie TE that gets to spend a year learning from one of the greatest TE's of all time.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:25 pm

Gonzalez is a competitor. I can't see him retiring just yet, he's still way too talented.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:26 pm

Colorado Screaming Eagles wrote:
Gonzalez is a competitor. I can't see him retiring just yet, he's still way too talented.

I agree but a lot of others don't. I still stand by them drafting a TE though. RB is another glaring need though.

Back to top Go down
MatthewL763

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:57 am

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8951048/thomas-dimitroff-gm-atlanta-falcons-hoping-tony-gonzalez-return

I have a feeling he will come back for 1 year but i agree with the previous post that they will be drafting a TE.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:53 pm

Quote :
On the heels of discussions between Tony Gonzalez and head coach Mike Smith, Atlanta Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff recently stated his belief that the odds of the tight end retiring have moved from 95 percent to 50/50.

Best of 2012: Atlanta Falcons
Take a look at the best photos from the Atlanta Flacons' 2012 season.
Dimitroff now has reason for further optimism. ESPN's Ed Werder reported Tuesday morning that Gonzalez has begun "wavering" on retirement talk.

He will come back for one more

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:54 pm

Quote :
Free-agent TE Tony Gonzalez (Falcons) is expected to inform the Atlanta Falcons this week that he will re-signing with the team and will return for the 2013 season.

As expected.

Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:24 pm

Quote :
Falcons re-signed TE Tony Gonzalez to a two-year, $14 million contract.
The deal contains $7 million guaranteed. The 2014 side of the deal will almost certainly be treated as a player option. Gonzalez's 2013 cap charge is $5.25 million. Newly 37, Gonzalez racked up 93 catches for 930 yards and eight touchdowns in 2012, ranking third among tight ends in fantasy points. We expect he'll be a top five or six finisher again in 2013. Dirk Koetter's pass-first offense has a buoying effect even if Gonzo's on-field performance slips a bit.
Source: D. Orlando Ledbetter on Twitter
Mar 15 - 12:53 PM

And it's now official

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Glad he's not dicking around! The to-retire-or-not-to-retire saga gets SO old. *cough Farve cough*

Back to top Go down
Utah Spazz

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:33 pm

Should have signed him to a 5 year deal, Gonzo will just keep clicking

Back to top Go down
http://www.fakeplastictunes.com/
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:04 pm

Quote :
Gonzalez is on leave and will not play in the Falcons' first preseason game against the Bengals on August 8, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports. Analysis: Gonzalez is spending time with his family, and head coach Mike Smith noted that Gonzalez's son was starting tackle football this week. He also added that the Falcons "knew this ahead of time," and that Gonzalez will play in the final two preseason games. The bigger concern should be whether or not Gonzalez's absence is making it seem like the tight end is above the team.

I think the last line there is absolutely retarded.

Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:27 pm

I don't. Either put the effort in that everyone else does or get the f out! No special privileges.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:15 am

He was going to retire. He's a HOF'er. He wanted to spend more time with his family. He's giving them another season. In return, after putting in the time he has, he's getting an easier training camp. Nothing wrong with that.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:08 am

I would like to see Sty tell Gonzalea to "Get the F out"!!! Laughing 

Back to top Go down
Las Vegas DeGenerates

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:26 pm

Tony G needs to retire already... I'm tired to seeing his name in my opponents starting lineup... Laughing to myself... And then crying when he posts double-digit numbers against me.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:53 am

Quote :
Tony Gonzalez has been hired by CBS as an NFL Today studio analyst. Analysis: Gonzalez is replacing Dan Marino and Shannon Sharpe, who will no longer be part of the network. There had been recent rumblings that Gonzalez would return to the field in 2014 for a "stretch run with a contender," but he'll focus on his new gig for the time being. The Falcons hold Gonzalez's rights for the upcoming season but have stated all along they don't expect him to play.

I just wish McNabb would stop being on TV.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:22 pm

Quote :
Gonzalez was released by the Falcons on Tuesday, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports. Analysis: Gonzalez has already stated that he plans to hang up his cleats this offseason, so the move is little more than a way to free up some cap space sooner rather than later. If Gonzalez does decide to come back, he would be a free agent.

Wonder why he hasn't formally retired yet.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tony Gonzalez TE FA   

Back to top Go down

Tony Gonzalez TE FA
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Player talk-
Jump to: