x

Share | 

Johnny Manziel QB FA

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:47 am

I am having a really hard time predicting the future success of this guy.  He is either going to be really good or really bad.  At 6'1" he is short to see over guys that are 6'5".  He is elusive but every linebacker can run a 4.7 now.  Every defense is going to try to kill him because of his arrogance.  His own team may string him up by his balls in the shower.

On the other side, he makes miraculous plays that others cant do.  He could be a bigger and better version of Doug Flutie.

In my opinion he is the biggest risk/reward gamble.
Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:08 am

The Flutie comparison seems particularly apt. He also reminds me of Archie Manning when he's scrambling all over the place - although based on Eli and Peyton, I bet Archie is pretty tall.

I don't know. I don't think I'd want him on my team as a fan. I think he brings a circus and I don't think he's going to be good enough.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:36 am

I think the height measurable is one of the most overrated things there is when looking at QB's... A 6'-4" QB can't see over other guys that are the same height much better than a 6'-1" QB... Manziel is taller than Drew Brees and Russell Wilson and height hasn't been a big issue for those guys... There are plenty of other reasons to be skeptical about this guys future in the NFL but I don't think his height is one of them...

Speaking of Russell Wilson, I think that is a good comparison for Manziel right there, always a threat with the feet and able to scramble away from pressure... and I think Manziel actually has more raw talent and passing ability than Wilson does... but will he work as hard in the NFL to be as successful as Wilson? That is the question that could ultimately determine how good (or bad) he will be at the next level.

Back to top Go down
Hamilton Steel Cats

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:49 am

good post 

Well said Chris. I think you hit all the notes needed.

Stafford could be a stud. However, he is a lazy ass who does not seem to want to take it to the next level. Seems content.

Wilson is a over achiever to a degree. Works extremely hard from what I have heard.

Manziel... who knows, time will tell.

Back to top Go down
Carolina Werewolves

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:56 pm

I personally don't have any qualms about his ability to play in the NFL.

He doesn't have stop watch speed but he is as agile a QB as I have seen other than Mike Vick in his hey day. The difference being that Johnny football will look downfield to make throws instead of trying to do everything with his leags.

His accuracy, the most important aspect of a QB imo is as good as any QB in this draft. Much improved over his freshman season. His ability to be accurate on deep throws impresses me more than anything. It seems like a lot of QB's in college make their accuracy stats by padding with 0-10 yard throws. Manzeil had his share but in big games he was throwing darts downfield to Mike Evans.

Teammates and his coaches love him and want to play for him even though he is a bit of a horses ass.

I think he could run a variation of the West Coast offense and of course he could run the Chip Kelly/2013 Redskins spread option offense. Like Wilson I think he would be most effective in a ground and pound offense like Seattle's where he would not have to carry the load, and would need to make only a handful of big plays a game. Why?

Cause the dude isn't that big. The Seattle Seahawks protect Wilson from taking too many big hits and whatever team takes Johhny Football would need to do the same. The height isn't an issue. He can create passing windows just like Brees and Wilson. He can't take X amount of big hits a season like Ben Ro does. He simply can't.

Now onto the really big issue. His attitude. I think he wants it and will be a guy who studies and learns his craft (again unlike Vick in his early years) The thing I worry about is his arrogance. He has too much self confidence and it will rub his opponents the wrong way. There will be defensive ends/ tackles who will want to crush him because of his rep. Not good to be a target from day one.
The whole issue with his signing autographs really scares me. He must have known he was going to get caught. He simply didn't care. That scares me and would make me think twice about drafting him.

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:34 pm

That was a great post.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:28 pm

Craig Walker wrote:
That was a great post.

Agreed, nice post Jason... I agree across the board, if this guy can be a bit more humble and work hard and be a leader for his team, I think he could really succeed. But, if he doesn't do the right things he could also be a big failure... Thus the risk/ reward nature of Johnny Football...

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:51 pm

Well Johnny Football had his pro day today and two teams were not present, the Bears and Browns. It doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I found it kind of odd that one of the teams Manziel was being linked to was not even attending his pro day...

Perhaps the Browns may actually do what makes sense to me and take a top tier non QB with their first pick and then come back with either their second pick in the 1st round or their 2nd round pick and take a QB to site behind and/or compete with Hoyer. I think Hoyer can be a good starting QB for them, and can you imagine if they took Sammy Watkins at #4 and waited on a QB?! Hoyer would have Watkins and Gordon at WR and Jordan at TE to go along with the new RB Tate... not a bad offensive nucleus there!

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:52 pm

Or it could have been a smoke screen.  They know if they want him by now.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:02 pm

It could be a smoke screen, but I think their team gets better not taking a QB with their #4 pick... who knows it is possible that Manziel or possibly Bridgewater fall to the late 1st round, there would be far more value in taking the QB with their second pick...

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:03 pm

That would be a pretty dumb smokescreen.

Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:46 am

He would bring some much needed excitement to the QB position in Minnesota with the #8 pick. Nobody knows for sure how he'll produce obviously but Minnesota could easily use Manziel like the Seahawks use Wilson. Obviously highlight the running game but get Manziel in space, roll outs, move the pocket... High percentage passes. It'll be fun to see how he evolves as a QB.

Back to top Go down
Cybertron Screamers

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:38 pm

Too funny!

Quote :

An NFL scout told NJ.com that Texas A&M WR Mike Evans "made" QB Johnny Manziel.
"In my opinion, (Evans) made Johnny Manziel, not the other way around," the unnamed scout said. "A lot of times, Manziel just ran around and threw it up for grabs, and (Evans) came down with it." Though Evans undoubtedly was a gift for Manziel, this opinion is a gross oversimplification. One could just as easily flip the argument and assert that a large chunk of Evans' stats came from throws "up for grabs" that no QB in the nation outside of Manziel ever would have attempted -- or completed.
Source: NJ.com
Mar 30 - 9:20 PM

nobody has an f-ing clue!

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Thu May 08, 2014 8:45 pm

Browns. Now shut up.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Fri May 23, 2014 9:15 am

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Fri May 23, 2014 9:24 am

Haha, that is hilarious, did you read through it? It's not on the Onion, but that has got to be a joke, right?!

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Fri May 23, 2014 9:39 am

Devils Tower Outlaws wrote:
Haha,  that is hilarious,  did you read through it?    It's not on the Onion,  but that has got to be a joke,  right?!

Has to be a joke. I nearly died reading it.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Fri May 23, 2014 10:33 am

Mohawk Ridge Marauders wrote:
Devils Tower Outlaws wrote:
Haha,  that is hilarious,  did you read through it?    It's not on the Onion,  but that has got to be a joke,  right?!

Has to be a joke.  I nearly died reading it.  

Yeah, me too, its very funny!

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Fri May 23, 2014 11:46 am

Wonder what Clowney thinks of it.

Back to top Go down
Cybertron Screamers

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:21 pm

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:35 pm

Man,  this guy is acting about as recklessly as you can so far...    I am starting to get a bad feeling about this whole thing...

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:26 pm

Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:50 pm

I used to like him... But now he's hanging with Bieber. That's actually kind of funny. You can't find someone better than Bieber? Come on kid

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:58 pm

Muskego Muskies wrote:
I used to like him... But now he's hanging with Bieber. That's actually kind of funny. You can't find someone better than Bieber? Come on kid

Is he really? Wow, that's en entirely other level of SAD.  Laughing 

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:47 pm

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Muskego Muskies wrote:

Is he really?  Wow, that's en entirely other level of SAD.   Laughing 
 good post 
Anyone hanging out with Bieber is just flat out sad and pathetic...

Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:59 pm

For Cleveland....

Tim Couch version 2.0

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:15 pm

Decatur Demons wrote:
For Cleveland....

Tim Couch version 2.0

Right, because Tim Couch failed due to his off the field transgressions.

Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:39 pm

Did anybody else hear something?

Back to top Go down
JosephO

PostSubject: Johnny Manziel QB CLE   Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:08 pm

taking first team reps all day...

Worst news i've heard all day :(
Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:59 pm

Merged duplicate topics.

C'mon man.

troll

Back to top Go down
JosephO

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:52 pm

cry2 my bad...

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:01 pm

I dont think it was a function of Manziel looking good. Word out of Cleveland is that Hoyer has looked bad the last couple of days.

Back to top Go down
JosephO

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:25 pm

Gotta start Hoyer. He deserves it!

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:30 pm

The best thing that ever happened to Brian Hoyer is getting hurt after 2.5 games last year. He's suddenly considered a good quarterback by a small, strange group of people.

Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:54 pm

Adelaide Empire wrote:
The best thing that ever happened to Brian Hoyer is getting hurt after 2.5 games last year. He's suddenly considered a good quarterback by a small, strange group of people.
 good post 

Back to top Go down
Hamilton Steel Cats

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:13 pm

Adelaide Empire wrote:

I liken this to my trapped on a desert island theory. When one has starved and eaten nothing but coconuts and rats as their only meat for years and then returns to the mainland even a crappy assed Big Mac now looks like a filet mignon. Well Browns fans have been on that island now for 20 years. So a ho-hum Hoyer looks like Johnny fucking Unitas to those disillusioned eyes.

2cents 

Back to top Go down
JosephO

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:48 am

When you haven't had a decent QB in 16 years a guy who wins 3 in a row looks pretty good. :(

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:02 am

3 in a row? I guess. Although, the 1st game was against Minnesota and their 30th ranked pass D. He threw 3 TD's ad 3 INT's in that game to go along with an Eli-esque 55% completion rate and an Alex Smithian 5.9 ypa.

Game 2 saw Hoyer actually play well against Cincy (65%, 7.1ypa and 2-0 TD/INT).

He had 4 attempts against Buffalo before he got hurt so I'm not sure you can give any credit to Hoyer in this game.

So in actuality, Hoyer played in 2 games. Had a bad game against the worst pass D and had a decent game against Cincy.

Meh.

Back to top Go down
JosephO

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:05 am

that ranks him # 2 or # 3 best QBs since the Browns came back in 1999.  ROTFLMAO 

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:38 pm

Manziel is going to be a really good fantasy QB. Just wanted to put that out there.

Back to top Go down
Las Vegas DeGenerates

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:55 pm

Fuck that guy.

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:17 am

Chicago Crime Syndicate wrote:
Manziel is going to be a really good fantasy QB.  Just wanted to put that out there.  

Agreed. But he's got to sort his running style out - he could've got absolutely slammed a couple of time last night and it was the first pre-season game. Got to stop making stupid runs and got to stop diving head first into a bunch of defenders.

If he can do that, he's gonna be a stud. If he can't, he's gonna miss a lot of games.

Back to top Go down
JosephO

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:21 am

He is going to get killed out there. You can't run that many times without getting hurt.

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:45 am

I was really impressed with him. His throws wear very deliberate and very accurate. He moves around really well. You can tell that he has to learn to rely on his teammates more instead of trying to do it himself.

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:55 am

Agreed with all of the above and I think his coaches need to put him in position to make the decision to run or pass himself. Felt like a lot if those runs were designed. Putting him the pistol offense that many times is overkill.

Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:33 pm

Las Vegas DeGenerates wrote:
Fuck that guy.

Ditto times 347.

Back to top Go down
JosephO

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:34 pm

Las Vegas DeGenerates wrote:
Fuck that guy.

ROTFLMAO 
Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:22 pm

Naperville Divine wrote:
I was really impressed with him.  His throws wear very deliberate and very accurate.  He moves around really well.  You can tell that he has to learn to rely on his teammates more instead of trying to do it himself.

beer vote yes 

Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Florida Chaetomorpha wrote:
Naperville Divine wrote:
I was really impressed with him.  His throws wear very deliberate and very accurate.  He moves around really well.  You can tell that he has to learn to rely on his teammates more instead of trying to do it himself.

beer vote yes 

OK Mr. #alexsmithblows, tell you what.

I will put $20.00 on the board that Mr. Unexciting outscores all of your QB's except for Wilson, weeks 1-12. I'd almost bet he outscores Wilson, but that one will be close.

Put your money where your # is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:13 pm

He looked okay but I am still going to steer clear of his bandwagon, his chances of getting hurt or getting into off the field trouble seem rather high to me.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Manziel QB FA   

Back to top Go down

Johnny Manziel QB FA
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Player talk-
Jump to: