Maplewood Doppelgangers
Oregon Ballhawks
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Oregon Ballhawks

Oregon Ballhawks

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Empty
PostSubject: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 3:54 am

Hi all - My name is John Hodgins and I just completed my 75th year on this planet back in August. In fact, I'm one of the dinosaurs of this crazy game we play!

I live in the Oregon hills outside of a small town named Cottage Grove. Actually, I'm a former member of RW back in '15/'16. Sadly, I had to back away from fantasy football back in 2017 due to an insane 'real' event in my life. Which then led to a few years of chaos. Short and sweet (not so sweet actually:( my wife and I were the victims of an armed home invasion with a swat team rescue! Which led to about 18 months on the road as we awaited the trial for our attacker. He finally copped to all the charges and was put away for 22 years.

As far as my fantasy story, I have been involved in fantasy football since the 80s when we used to draft at a favorite pub or sometimes at one of our league member's homes. We would come to the draft with our dog-eared fantasy mags and a load full of hubris!
No internet back then, so during the season we had to wait for Monday's sports page in the local newspaper to find out how our players did on Sunday and if we had won or lost...or if we had a chance to catchup on MNF!

One of my long-standing leagues has been around for a while. Since the early '90s. As a matter of fact, we will be entering our 30th season together this year with most of our founding members still with us after all these years!
I took the title in '19 and almost repeated the next season but still won my conference. We call ourselves the Survivors Fantasy League in case anyone wants to take a look on MFL.
Before the internet we would draft by conference call, which gave us a chance to interact as a group and shoot the breeze. I kinda miss those days...

I recently received an invite to Roster Wars from Tyler Coney who is a league mate on our UDE2 dynasty salary league. Which then brought back memories from 5/6 years ago with RW. Mostly I've been a keeper/dynasty league guy on MFL but also enjoy a good redraft challenge occasionally:) And I know I'll find a great experience to go along with a great challenge here at Roster Wars!!

On a normal basis, I spend maybe 5 or 6 hours a week during the offseason looking at possible deals with my league mates or researching the free-agent market. During the season, I'm even more involved in league activity and making moves.

Hopefully I'll make the cut to be placed in another Roster Wars league full of fantasy football freaks just like me:) Dynasty or Redraft...I'm up for the challenge!

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigbal10
Back to top Go down
Maplewood Doppelgangers

Maplewood Doppelgangers

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 3:58 am

Welcome John! I thought I recognized the old team name from the RWTC!

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigdop14
Back to top Go down
Toontown Warlocks

Toontown Warlocks

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 3:59 am

Welcome John, glad you found your way here again.... is place will have grown since you were here last.

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigwar22
Back to top Go down
Coachella Tremors

Coachella Tremors

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 4:20 am

Welcome to Roster Wars John!

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigtre15
Back to top Go down
Alaska Arsenic

Alaska Arsenic

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 4:30 am

Welcome! Great intro.

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigars18
Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice

Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 4:45 am

Welcome (back) John! Find some threads that look interesting and make yourself at home. Oh yeah, and read the bylaws and ask any questions you may have.

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigjus14
Back to top Go down
Pacific Puffins

Pacific Puffins

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 4:52 am

Welcome John. I just moved to Florence in May. This is a pretty nice state south of Portland. Your sig says California. Did you recently move as well? It's good to have you here at Roster Wars.

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigpuf13
Back to top Go down
Thief River Unforgiven

Thief River Unforgiven

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 5:36 am

Welcome back John! Glad to have you!

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigunf16
Back to top Go down
Cyclone City Falcons

Cyclone City Falcons

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 6:08 am

Welcome John!

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigfal14
Back to top Go down
London Legion

London Legion

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 7:51 am

Welcome John or should that say Welcome back !   Jump in and enjoy the threads and acquaint yourself with the bylaws.

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigleg14
Back to top Go down
Hamilton Steel Cats

Hamilton Steel Cats

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 8:55 am

Welcome John ...

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47e7fn9ojg9i83kexodbx35073usdkudwwx00zte2i&rid=giphy

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigste15
Back to top Go down
England Dragons

England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 9:10 am

Welcome back John!

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigdra13
Back to top Go down
Stellenbosch Saints

Stellenbosch Saints

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 9:17 am

Great to have you back on board John! Great time to join roster wars!

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigsai14
Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 10:23 am

Welcome Aboard John.  You're real life event is totally crazy and scary as hell.  surprised  Glad he was put away for a while.  I just can't imagine the emotional toll something like that can cause.  Anyway, welcome back to RW.  By the way, being a fellow Hawk, I like the team name.  vote yes

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Signig22
Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 10:53 am

Welcome John. Crazy story glad you and your family survived that ordeal.

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigred18
Back to top Go down
Hatteras Bay Mad Goats

Hatteras Bay Mad Goats

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 11:43 am

Welcome back man, that story is something, holy cow. I cant imagine how that must have been or the stress during that whole time waiting for it to be resolved. Glad that it worked out and is behind you.

Look forward to hearing more about you.

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigmad16
Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 12:09 pm

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Welcome-back-about-time

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigoys15
Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 1:15 pm

Boy, glad you and your wife survived that ordeal and the loser got locked up. As others have said, visit often and get acclimated to this place. Being active and participating will get you everywhere.

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigete14
Back to top Go down
Lake Winnebago Walleyes

Lake Winnebago Walleyes

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 1:18 pm

Welcome John, from one newbie to another(kind of I guess), if you have questions I’m probably not your guy yet.  If you want to explore together let me know!

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigdefault
Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 1:21 pm

F5 to put a face to the name.

Back to top Go down
East Tennessee Badgers

East Tennessee Badgers

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 2:18 pm

Welcome John! Nice you have made your way back to RW.

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigbad18
Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers

Littleton SilverBallers

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 3:04 pm

Welcome John!

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigsil14
Back to top Go down
Windy City Blitz

Windy City Blitz

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 3:33 pm

Welcome, John. Love the fantasy football history. Glad you and your wife made it through that nasty ordeal.

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigbli22
Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 4:23 pm

Welcome back John!

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigtyr14
Back to top Go down
Oregon Ballhawks

Oregon Ballhawks

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 6:58 pm

Thanks to all for the warm welcome thank you I've been goin' round and round the the Roster Wars Universe from A>Z since I showed up almost 2 hours ago. I decided I would need to copy the forum and league rules into this great note app I found recently. That way I can do a search anytime I have a question or need to search for something quickly.
At my age, I can use all the help I can get make fun

Anyhows, I already feel like one of the gang with all the nice welcome backs from y'all vote yes Straight up tho...I haven't been a forum poster much except for some on FBG forum over the years. Don't do facebook and only use twitter for fantasy football updates and insights. But I'm thinkin' that if I can't keep up with the minimum number of posts with me being retired and most of you working full-time jobs...then I'm over the hill.
But since that ain't true, I'm gonna give RW the best I got!

Back to top Go down
Maplewood Doppelgangers

Maplewood Doppelgangers

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 7:02 pm

What is your NFL team?

Back to top Go down
Alaska Arsenic

Alaska Arsenic

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 7:04 pm

You got this John! Once you get rolling on a topic, 30 posts per month is a breeze.

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigars18
Back to top Go down
Oregon Ballhawks

Oregon Ballhawks

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 7:28 pm

Morrison Minions wrote:
Welcome John. I just moved to Florence in May. This is a pretty nice state south of Portland. Your sig says California. Did you recently move as well? It's good to have you here at Roster Wars.

Hey Shawn Thanks for the welcome. Must be nice living on the coast in Florence. We looked around for places on the coast a couple of years ago but weren't able to find a place. I grew up swimming in the ocean mostly off of the Santa Cruz coast back in the day.

So yeah we used to live in the Cali Sierras back before we were attacked in our home. We were relocated to Oregon after those 18 months on the road and wound living in a 50+yr old mobile on a hill outside of Cottage Grove which is 20 miles south of Eugene. We're not far away from each other cheers

Back to top Go down
Colorado Crusaders

Colorado Crusaders

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 7:30 pm

Alaska Arsenic wrote:
You got this John!  Once you get rolling on a topic, 30 posts per month is a breeze.

...just a follow-up to Ghoji; when I first came snooping around, had the same concern. Andy just said to treat it like you're having a conversation at the bar, with friends of like interest.

Has worked out ok, some months more than others, but never really worry about the 30 posts anymore, just seems to happen. shrug

Good to have you back John...
cheers

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigcru15
Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice

Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 7:57 pm

The 30 posts do end up coming easy if you check in every day. As Ghoji said, all it takes is one topic or good debate and you can put a major dent in your total in an hour.

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigjus14
Back to top Go down
Tenafly Vipers

Tenafly Vipers

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 8:46 pm

Welcome, John! The only time I've been in Oregon is when my friend got married close to Mount Hood. Pretty place! Looked like the fuckin Sound of Music.

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigvip16
Back to top Go down
Oregon Ballhawks

Oregon Ballhawks

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 8:52 pm

Maplewood Doppelgangers wrote:
What is your NFL team?

49ers > ever since I somehow called them to win their first SB back in '82 before the season had started.
I really liked the direction the club was headed back then and became an instant Ronnie Lott fan. In fact, that's where my ballhawks moniker came from with my email address being ballhawkr42@gmail.com. The man was a missile aimed at the ball or ballcarrier at all times on the field! But Lott also had a heart of gold!

My granddaughter was born with cancer, and we discovered it when she was 9 months old. She was saved by St.Judes Hospital in San Fran at that early age and we became longtime members of a local hospital group called ROCK (recreational opportunities for cancer kids).
Each year they held an event for the cancer kids at Great America and that's where I came to understand what Ronnie really loved in life. That was cancer children and their families who needed love and someone to care. You could just see it in his eyes and how he focused on each child as if they were his own. I would just watch him for hours and never care about making my presence known to him. Although we would have a moment together after the line of his admirers came to an end.

And so now you all know the real true Ronnie Lott...missile to the ball on the field and a sweetheart of a guy off of it!

Back to top Go down
Oregon Ballhawks

Oregon Ballhawks

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 8:58 pm

So just wondering if y'all are involved with fantasy playoff action on RW?

Back to top Go down
Maplewood Doppelgangers

Maplewood Doppelgangers

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 9:15 pm

Golden State Lions wrote:
So just wondering if y'all are involved with fantasy playoff action on RW?
Take a look around the rest of the forums, we've got a bunch of different sections on the homepage.

Back to top Go down
Oregon Ballhawks

Oregon Ballhawks

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 9:15 pm

Tenafly Vipers wrote:
Welcome, John! The only time I've been in Oregon is when my friend got married close to Mount Hood. Pretty place! Looked like the fuckin Sound of Music.
                                                                                                    ROFL

Back to top Go down
Oregon Ballhawks

Oregon Ballhawks

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 9:27 pm

Another question > Is there a way for me to change my team's name from my previous Golden State Lions to my current name of Oregon Ballhawks? Or is that done behind the scenes?

Back to top Go down
Maplewood Doppelgangers

Maplewood Doppelgangers

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 9:32 pm

Golden State Lions wrote:
Another question > Is there a way for me to change my team's name from my previous Golden State Lions to my current name of Oregon Ballhawks? Or is that done behind the scenes?
I sent you an email about it, but I believe it's a behind the scenes thing.

Back to top Go down
Lake Winnebago Walleyes

Lake Winnebago Walleyes

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 9:52 pm

Thanks for the story on Ronnie Lott, very cool! I've been to Oregon twice and absolutely love it out there. I have family that lives in Longview, WA so we fly into Portland and then drive up. Astoria is a really neat city, but I grew up a Goonies kid, so I suppose it was going to be cool regardless. Being in the landscape profession, the natural landscape and soils are second to none and a definite draw for me.

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigdefault
Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 10:01 pm

Welcome back John- You better not be a packer fan. wink

The End.

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigmay18
Back to top Go down
Australia Killer Koalas

Australia Killer Koalas

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 10:08 pm

Welcome John  vote yes

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigkil18
Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 10:30 pm

I changed your username, John.
Do you want the followthyinstincts email or the one you mentioned above tied to this site? If people try to email directly from here, which one do you want it to go to?

Back to top Go down
Motor City Malachi Crunch

Motor City Malachi Crunch

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyFri Jan 14, 2022 11:33 pm

From one John to another John, I Welcome you with open arms (including John Mclean).

Awesome story about Ronnie Lott. I was always a fan from his rookie year to twilight years with The Raiders. Now I'm even a bigger fan after that awesome story.

via GIPHY

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigmal19

Last edited by Motor City Malachi Crunch on Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Hatteras Bay Mad Goats

Hatteras Bay Mad Goats

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptySat Jan 15, 2022 12:02 am

9er's fan.. Love it.. HY and myself also follow the Quest for Six.

I've been to Oregon a few times myself, gorgeous up there, absolutely love it. Also a fellow Goonie, Astoria was an amazing place to visit. Soo many movies filmed there, some I never would have thought of (Kindergarten Cop).. We even got pictures inside the jail cell, with the jeep with the bullet holes, it was too bad that the current residents of the Goonies house doesn't want anyone driving near it, but I get it.

Holla if you got any questions, good to have you

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigmad16
Back to top Go down
Gainesville Gators

Gainesville Gators

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptySat Jan 15, 2022 1:19 am

Welcome back John.

Great story about Lott. Also one of my all time favorite players.

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Siggat15
Back to top Go down
Colorado Crusaders

Colorado Crusaders

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptySat Jan 15, 2022 1:38 am

Ronnie Lott...hell yeah!! vote yes

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Cut-finger

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigcru15
Back to top Go down
Haddonfield Slashers

Haddonfield Slashers

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptySat Jan 15, 2022 1:42 am

Welcome John.

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigsla16
Back to top Go down
Riverside Rottweilers

Riverside Rottweilers

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptySat Jan 15, 2022 1:17 pm

Hey John, I'm sure a lot has changed over the past few years since you been here but glad all is well in your life.

And shoutout to Tyler for bringing you over, glad to have you

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigrot15
Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptySat Jan 15, 2022 1:22 pm

Welcome back John

Oregon Ballhawks (John) Sigpig15
Back to top Go down
Oregon Ballhawks

Oregon Ballhawks

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptySat Jan 15, 2022 5:13 pm

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
I changed your username, John.  
Do you want the followthyinstincts email or the one you mentioned above tied to this site? If people try to email directly from here, which one do you want it to go to?

Hey Andy Thanks for the name change.
My email is now ballhawkr42@gmail.com > although I continue to always follow my instincts:)

Back to top Go down
Oregon Ballhawks

Oregon Ballhawks

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) EmptyMon Jan 17, 2022 12:13 am

Hey guys and gals party4

I'd like to take this moment to celebrate that I got so many friendly welcome backs from y'all fun dance
So, as I'm sittin' here watchin' my niners dominate their rival cowboys, I took the time to take a look at all of your pics and posts again. And after counting 31 of ya!...I just thought I'd reach out to say thanks again for makin' a guy feel welcome!

Looking forward to competing against some of you in a league or two if I should be fortunate enough to get an invite vote yes

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oregon Ballhawks (John)   Oregon Ballhawks (John) Empty

Back to top Go down

Oregon Ballhawks (John)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Bulletin Board :: Check In-
Jump to: