HomeLog inRegisterFAQSearch
x
x
x
x
x
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
x

Share | 
 

 Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Titletown Tyrants
 
 
avatar

Posts : 11015

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:24 am

Devils Tower Outlaws wrote:
Kane County Goon Squad wrote:
Devils Tower Outlaws wrote:
For a Harvard educated guy,  Fitzpatrick is being retarded with this whole thing...    He has never been consistent and only just had his first really good season last year at age 32...   Now he wants to paid among the top QB's in the League?   at age 33?   That just isn't in line with reality,    the older QB's that get that kind of money are the ones that have been consistently good up to that point in their career...  not guys that have one good year while the rest of their career they have been average at best...   On the one hand you can't blame him for trying to cash in on his best season,   but on the other hand he hasn't earned the kind of money he is asking for,   not by a long shot...  
I don't think he's asking to be paid "among the top QB's in the League" - I think all he is asking for is on the low end of starter money - and I agree with the way he's doing it

I didn't mean like a top 2 or 3 salary if that is what you are thinking,  I believe $12 + million per year would put him in the top 15 QB salaries in the league,  I would consider that being paid among the top guys in the league.   There are several problems with that,   the most obvious is that he hasn't earned it...  the guy has had one good season where he still didn't make the playoffs and he is 33 years old.    33 year old QB's who aren't proven commodities don't get that kind of money...    As someone else stated,  it is pretty telling when no other team has had serious negotiations with him this offseason,  not for the money he wants...    If he wan'ts to stick to his guns,  that is fine,  I would find it funny if he prices himself out of the market and ends up out of the league following his only good season!  laughing

Tied for 21st in the league, so just about bottom 1/3.


Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5547

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:29 am

Do you really think that Fitzpatrick is a top 20 QB, considering his age, past performance, and abilities?  He's a 7th round QB that had one average season when being surrounded by two of the better WRs in the game.  Has he really done anything more than a guy like Chad Pennington.  

Bradford, Kaep, Cutler, and others may be overpaid.  Or maybe they parlayed a great season or potential into a great contract.  But that doesn't mean that the Jets will cave to Fitz.  

I'm not taking sides.  My point is that I think that Fitz is being aggressive on his pricing and he could find himself holding a clipboard for $3 million next season if he's not careful.


Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants
 
 
avatar

Posts : 11015

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:31 am

I am not a huge Fitz fan either, just fun to debate. Yes, I do think he is a top 20 QB though. I think with him the Jets win 10 games this year, without him they win 6.


Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7113

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:31 am

This argument is like watching people with no arms play ping pong


Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants
 
 
avatar

Posts : 11015

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:32 am

Morrison Minions wrote:
This argument is like watching people with no arms play ping pong

Hey, It's June 2nd. Give us a break!   laughing


Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants
 
 
avatar

Posts : 11015

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:34 am

This was on the front page of Roto so I thought I would post here:

It’s finally nice outside (maybe it’s been nice where you are for a while—I live in the Northeast), so why not check the temperature around the league? In New York, the forecast is cloudy with a chance of holdout.
Quote :
 
Ryan Fitzpatrick’s contract stalemate with the Jets has been one of the offseason’s biggest nonstories. Both sides have drawn a firm line in the sand and neither one has dared to cross it. If Seinfeld is the show about nothing, then the Fitzpatrick/Jets standoff has been the sports story about nothing.
 
So of course the logical next step was a plot twist about nothing. Eric Decker decided not to attend last week’s OTAs in protest of Fitzpatrick’s ongoing contract dispute. Some may interpret Decker’s no-show as a hollow gesture. Decker and Fitzpatrick are represented by the same agency, so Decker was somewhat obligated to side with him. And while skipping May OTAs is frowned upon, attendance isn’t mandatory so Decker didn’t risk anything financially by sitting out. Still, it’s the largest and most public display so far by a Jets player in support of Fitzpatrick. It will be interesting to see if Decker continues his protest through mandatory minicamp next month and if others follow suit.Brandon Marshall also skipped OTAs last week, though it doesn’t appear his absence was related to Fitzpatrick’s contract status.
 
This isn’t the first time I’ve addressed Fitzpatrick’s contract negotiations and it probably won’t be the last. To recap, the Jets have offered Fitzpatrick a three-year deal in the $24 million range with a first-year salary of $12 million. Fitzpatrick has reportedly asked for $16 million annually. That may seem ambitious for a 33-year-old journeyman but that’s right around market value for an NFL starting quarterback. Offering Fitzpatrick only $8 million annually is a little insulting when Rams third-stringer Nick Foles is due $10.75 million in 2016. It goes without saying the Jets are a better team with Fitzpatrick under center. Second-round pick Christian Hackenberg is at least a year away from contributing while Geno Smith has done nothing to warrant a starting job in the NFL.
 
It’s been an offseason of missed chances for the Jets. Brian Hoyer and [url=http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/7406/Robert-Griffin III]Robert Griffin III[/url] aren’t the cream of the crop but they would have worked fine as stopgaps during Hackenberg’s development. Both signed elsewhere. The 49ers were ready to move Colin Kaepernick but the Jets never showed much interest. D’Brickashaw Ferguson gave the Jets cap space by retiring but most of that money was spent on Ryan Clady.
 
It’s still likely Fitzpatrick re-signs—the Jets’ lowball offer is the best he’s gotten so far—but the Jets had plenty of opportunities to improve their predicament and did nothing about it. Now the Jets have put themselves in a position where Geno Smith could realistically be the team’s best option for Week 1. After winning 10 games with Fitzpatrick last year and only four with Geno in 2014, that probably won’t go over well with fans.
 


Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7113

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:40 am

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Morrison Minions wrote:
This argument is like watching people with no arms play ping pong

Hey, It's June 2nd. Give us a break!   laughing

Both of these things are wildly entertaining eating popcorn


Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws
 
 
avatar

Posts : 4777

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:41 am

Well, after seeing the list of salaries above, there are more guys getting $12 million or more than I thought, so I was wrong about that... But, Fitz still doesn't deserve to make that kind of money... when you are 33 and your whole career is a giant pile of non-playoff making averageness, you have proven what you are at this point.

It doesn't appear the Jets are interested in him at $12 million a year, and neither were any of the other QB hungry teams this offseason... I don't think that was a coincedence...

NFL teams are more willing to throw big money at a young unproven QB who they perceive to have above average, near elite or elite upside. Not so much for older quarterbacks in the twilight of their career who have proven to be nothing more than average...


Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos
 
 
avatar

Posts : 2773

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:45 am

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
Fitz is worth what a team will pay, and no one will pay what he wants.  Fitz has to take an honest assessment of his worth and take the Jet's multi-year offer or try to get $8 million on a prove it deal.

In the end, Russ is correct, he has no leverage...Only worth what the Jets will pay, or retire.  But, when Nick Foles is getting $8.5 mil as a third string QB, it's hard to blame Fitz for the hold out. Consistency aside, he delivered last year, and I think deserves at least a $4 mil bump over Foles.   Rolling Eyes    The Jets want to tie him up multi-year, he wants a one year prove it...He didn't have much luck this year (no takers), so I think the Jets are fairly safe with the one year deal...Plus, though they might not be of championship caliber, Jets still want  people in the seats, Smith, Petty and Hackenbergermeister...Really?



Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7113

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:47 am

Devils Tower Outlaws wrote:
so I was wrong

Shocked scratch dizzy shocking surprised2 stars open mouth surrender


Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5547

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:48 am

Putting asses in seats isn't really an issue for the Jets.  With the PSLs they have everyone locked in so the tickets will get sold.  And they'll be competitive enough to keep people happy and sell them the hope of a brighter future with a young QB or young QBs.


Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos
 
 
avatar

Posts : 2773

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:50 am

Morrison Minions wrote:
This argument is like watching people with no arms play ping pong

lol3 Missed this first time through... ROFL


Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws
 
 
avatar

Posts : 4777

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:56 am

Oaktown Malosos wrote:
Bergen Brawlers wrote:
Fitz is worth what a team will pay, and no one will pay what he wants.  Fitz has to take an honest assessment of his worth and take the Jet's multi-year offer or try to get $8 million on a prove it deal.

In the end, Russ is correct, he has no leverage...Only worth what the Jets will pay, or retire.  But, when Nick Foles is getting $8.5 mil as a third string QB, it's hard to blame Fitz for the hold out. Consistency aside, he delivered last year, and I think deserves at least a $4 mil bump over Foles.   Rolling Eyes    The Jets want to tie him up multi-year, he wants a one year prove it...He didn't have much luck this year (no takers), so I think the Jets are fairly safe with the one year deal...Plus, though they might not be of championship caliber, Jets still want  people in the seats, Smith, Petty and Hackenbergermeister...Really?


Well, he wants $16 million a year, not just $12... which is an even bigger joke... However, even if the Jets wanted to sign him to a 1 yr prove it deal @ $12 million, it would take some serious cap gymnastics to make that happen, since the team only has $3.1 million in cap space as of right now...


Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos
 
 
avatar

Posts : 2773

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:59 am

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
 And they'll be competitive enough to keep people happy and sell them the hope of a brighter future with a young QB or young QBs.

Can't agree with you on this Russ, do you really want to watch any of those alternatives??...Also, loosing the locker room can be damaging to drawing future FA's...Hell, even Forte wants the Old Man back... laughing

New York Daily News wrote:
Matt Forte has already joined the “Bring Back Fitz” movement.

The Jets' brand new running back has never played with Ryan Fitzpatrick but wants the veteran QB to return to the Jets. Fitzpatrick is currently a free agent.

Asked Monday who he wanted to be the Jets' quarterback, Forte said, “based off of last year's production and Brandon (Marshall) has talked about the chemistry he's built with Ryan, so I would expect and hope it would be him.”

Forte admitted that signing with a team that had an unclear quarterback situation was something he considered during free agency. But he also felt that by signing with the Jets he might be able to help sway Fitzpatrick back toward Gang Green.

“With the defense we have and how they ran the ball last year, that I felt like, with me signing and everybody else being in place it would be really enticing for him to come back as well and continue to build on what he built last year,” Forte said.  


Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos
 
 
avatar

Posts : 2773

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:03 am

Devils Tower Outlaws wrote:

Well,  he wants $16 million a year,  not just $12... which is an even bigger joke...   However,  even if the Jets wanted to sign him to a 1 yr prove it deal @ $12 million,   it would take some serious cap gymnastics to make that happen,   since the team only has $3.1 million in cap space as of right now...

What am I missing?

New York Daily News wrote:
The New York Daily News reports free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick is "prepared" to sign a one-year, $12 million deal with the Jets.
The Jets' three-year proposal to Fitzpatrick is worth $24 million over three years, with $12 million in the first season. If the Jets offer him just a one-year contract worth $12 million guaranteed, the Daily News' Gary Myers reports Fitzpatrick would sign on the dotted line, ending his contract stalemate. The Jets are "being stubborn," however, and have not yet made him a one-year, $12 million offer. Myers' report is a way for Fitzpatrick's camp to get the word out. Myers reports Fitzpatrick has "given up on getting multi-year security from the Jets" and is "ready to take his chances in the free agent market again in 2017." Jun 1 - 10:21 PM


Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants
 
 
avatar

Posts : 11015

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:12 am

Oaktown Malosos wrote:
Devils Tower Outlaws wrote:

Well,  he wants $16 million a year,  not just $12... which is an even bigger joke...   However,  even if the Jets wanted to sign him to a 1 yr prove it deal @ $12 million,   it would take some serious cap gymnastics to make that happen,   since the team only has $3.1 million in cap space as of right now...

What am I missing?

New York Daily News wrote:
 The New York Daily News reports free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick is "prepared" to sign a one-year, $12 million deal with the Jets.
The Jets' three-year proposal to Fitzpatrick is worth $24 million over three years, with $12 million in the first season. If the Jets offer him just a one-year contract worth $12 million guaranteed, the Daily News' Gary Myers reports Fitzpatrick would sign on the dotted line, ending his contract stalemate. The Jets are "being stubborn," however, and have not yet made him a one-year, $12 million offer. Myers' report is a way for Fitzpatrick's camp to get the word out. Myers reports Fitzpatrick has "given up on getting multi-year security from the Jets" and is "ready to take his chances in the free agent market again in 2017." Jun 1 - 10:21 PM

I am hoping Chris says he was wrong again.  laughing


Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws
 
 
avatar

Posts : 4777

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:13 am

Oaktown Malosos wrote:
Devils Tower Outlaws wrote:

Well,  he wants $16 million a year,  not just $12... which is an even bigger joke...   However,  even if the Jets wanted to sign him to a 1 yr prove it deal @ $12 million,   it would take some serious cap gymnastics to make that happen,   since the team only has $3.1 million in cap space as of right now...

What am I missing?

New York Daily News wrote:
 The New York Daily News reports free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick is "prepared" to sign a one-year, $12 million deal with the Jets.
The Jets' three-year proposal to Fitzpatrick is worth $24 million over three years, with $12 million in the first season. If the Jets offer him just a one-year contract worth $12 million guaranteed, the Daily News' Gary Myers reports Fitzpatrick would sign on the dotted line, ending his contract stalemate. The Jets are "being stubborn," however, and have not yet made him a one-year, $12 million offer. Myers' report is a way for Fitzpatrick's camp to get the word out. Myers reports Fitzpatrick has "given up on getting multi-year security from the Jets" and is "ready to take his chances in the free agent market again in 2017." Jun 1 - 10:21 PM

Fitzpatrick wants a multi year deal worth $16 million annually, that is where this thing started...

The Jets offered a 3 yr deal worth $24 million total, including $12 million in the first year...

Now Fitzpatrick is saying he would sign a one year deal for $12 million, but the Jets are interested in that, most likely because they have no easy way to squeeze that kind of guaranteed money withing their current $3.1 million of cap space...



Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws
 
 
avatar

Posts : 4777

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:19 am

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Oaktown Malosos wrote:
Devils Tower Outlaws wrote:

Well,  he wants $16 million a year,  not just $12... which is an even bigger joke...   However,  even if the Jets wanted to sign him to a 1 yr prove it deal @ $12 million,   it would take some serious cap gymnastics to make that happen,   since the team only has $3.1 million in cap space as of right now...

What am I missing?

New York Daily News wrote:
 The New York Daily News reports free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick is "prepared" to sign a one-year, $12 million deal with the Jets.
The Jets' three-year proposal to Fitzpatrick is worth $24 million over three years, with $12 million in the first season. If the Jets offer him just a one-year contract worth $12 million guaranteed, the Daily News' Gary Myers reports Fitzpatrick would sign on the dotted line, ending his contract stalemate. The Jets are "being stubborn," however, and have not yet made him a one-year, $12 million offer. Myers' report is a way for Fitzpatrick's camp to get the word out. Myers reports Fitzpatrick has "given up on getting multi-year security from the Jets" and is "ready to take his chances in the free agent market again in 2017." Jun 1 - 10:21 PM

I am hoping Chris says he was wrong again.  laughing

Its in the report that you posted above... it says that Fitzpatrick was asking for a deal in the neighborhood of $16 million annually. When the Jets offered a 3 yr deal that would have paid him $12 million in the first year he rejected it because he wants more... Only recently he is saying he would come down to $12 million provided it is a 1 year deal, which the Jets apparently aren't interested in...


Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants
 
 
avatar

Posts : 11015

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:23 am

I was just kidding.

But of course he is going to come in high to start negotiations. He is a smart dude.

I hope they get this settled sooner than later though, it is more of an annoyance than anything. I wonder how Jets Nation feels not know for sure who their QB will be.


Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7113

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:31 am

Chris, do you feel he should accept 8 million a year?


Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem
 
 
avatar

Posts : 6079

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:07 pm

I wish this would get worked out. I need to make sure I have a QB2 option for the Mayhem. If not I am going to have to give every WR I have for Tanny from Tom.

Save me FitzMagic


Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos
 
 
avatar

Posts : 2773

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:25 pm

Indiana Mayhem wrote:
I wish this would get worked out.  I need to make sure I have a QB2 option for the Mayhem.  If not I am going to have to give every WR I have for Tanny from Tom.

Save me FitzMagic

ROTFLMAO Just want "one"... ROFL


Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem
 
 
avatar

Posts : 6079

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:28 pm

Oaktown Malosos wrote:
Indiana Mayhem wrote:
I wish this would get worked out.  I need to make sure I have a QB2 option for the Mayhem.  If not I am going to have to give every WR I have for Tanny from Tom.

Save me FitzMagic

ROTFLMAO Just want "one"... ROFL

I watch for Fitz news daily. Just blah blah blah back and forth. They both need one another find some money JETS, and quit asking for too much Fitz.


Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws
 
 
avatar

Posts : 4777

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:41 pm

Morrison Minions wrote:
Chris, do you feel he should accept 8 million a year?

In my opinion the only thing that Fitzpatrick earned last year was the chance to extend his career a few more years...   so I think he should take whatever any team that is willing to let his average ass start is willing to pay him...   I don't really know what he should be paid,   but if someone offers him $8 million I think he should be doing cartwheels in the streets rather than holding out for more...   I think when you are 33 and you have never proven anything,  you take what you can get if you really want to keep playing...

That being said,  I can't argue with him shooting high in the initial negotiations,   but at this point,  he has no leverage to continue asking for the type of money he started with.    I think eventually  he should come to the realization that he didn't earn a big payday ,   if he doesn't and he takes a stand I think he may have played his last down in the NFL...


Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws
 
 
avatar

Posts : 4777

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:05 pm

Indiana Mayhem wrote:
Oaktown Malosos wrote:
Indiana Mayhem wrote:
I wish this would get worked out.  I need to make sure I have a QB2 option for the Mayhem.  If not I am going to have to give every WR I have for Tanny from Tom.

Save me FitzMagic

ROTFLMAO Just want "one"... ROFL

I watch for Fitz news daily.  Just blah blah blah back and forth.  They both need one another find some money JETS, and quit asking for too much Fitz.  

I don't know if I agree with that... There is no guarantee that Fitz will play as well as last year and it is debatable whether he makes this a playoff team or not, personally I don't think he does... and has everybody forgotten that Geno Smith was winning the starting job last year? Fitz only became the starter after Geno had his jaw jacked up in that fight... It is conceivable that the Jets are content moving forward with Smith while one of the rookies develops... The fact that they drafted another rookie QB this year would suggest that that is at least an option that they prepared for.


Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals
 
 
avatar

Posts : 23398

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:54 pm

The Jets will do better with Fitz, that's all I know.

Also, he's a very smart guy and I would be shocked if he hasn't been wise with his money so fuck the Jets if they don't pay him. I have no doubt Fitz could walk away, do something else in life and be very successful so it really comes down to the Jets...pay for Fitz or play with Geno.


Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants
 
 
avatar

Posts : 11015

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:00 pm

Chris, you keep mentioning 33 years old. You do realize he is a QB, and he can play another 5-7 years right? That position is not like a lot of others, especially with the rules the way they are now. It is not like they are spending $22 million on him....

Again, I hope he retires and writes books or something and leaves that dumpster fire of a franchise out to burn.


Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem
 
 
avatar

Posts : 6079

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:34 pm

My point was made by Andy really........The Jets will be better with FitzP not better with Geno. There really isnt any more to say.


Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5713

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:30 pm

I am loving this. The Jets cannot get out of their own way. If they fail to to bring back Fitzy, they will suffer on the field and off it. The players have stated their desire to have him back and will become disgruntled at the first geno caused lost in week one or two...

I loving it!


Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws
 
 
avatar

Posts : 4777

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:30 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Chris, you keep mentioning 33 years old. You do realize he is a QB, and he can play another 5-7 years right? That position is not like a lot of others, especially with the rules the way they are now. It is not like they are spending $22 million on him....

Again, I hope he retires and writes books or something and leaves that dumpster fire of a franchise out to burn.

I realize it is possible that he could play more years as a QB... I keep mentioning his age because I don't like any player (especially a QB) who doesn't have his "breakout" year until he is already age 32/33... It took him until he was 32 to have his first above average season... that is not a player that I trust and that is not a player that I can see playing at a starter level into his late 30's or early 40's.. By the time a player is that age they pretty much are what they are going to be, and for Fitz that is an inconsistent, average (replacement level) NFL QB, at the moment I have no reason to believe that last year was anything more than an outlier for him, he would have to follow that up with an even better year for me to even entertain the idea that he might be more than that...

Because there is no guarantee that Fitz continues the above average play, there is no way to convince me that the Jets are better off with him and not somebody like Geno. Might be the case, might not, why the assumption that Fitz won't revert back to the average player he has always been? I don't believe that Geno has gotten a fair shot either, so I am not convinced that he wouldn't be an improvement over Fitz...



Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5547

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:40 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Chris, you keep mentioning 33 years old. You do realize he is a QB, and he can play another 5-7 years right? That position is not like a lot of others, especially with the rules the way they are now. It is not like they are spending $22 million on him....

Again, I hope he retires and writes books or something and leaves that dumpster fire of a franchise out to burn.


I'm quite confident that Fitz won't be playing football in the 2020 NFL season (4 years) and most likely not in the 2019 season (3 years).  I'd take that one to the board.


Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem
 
 
avatar

Posts : 6079

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:29 pm

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Chris, you keep mentioning 33 years old. You do realize he is a QB, and he can play another 5-7 years right? That position is not like a lot of others, especially with the rules the way they are now. It is not like they are spending $22 million on him....

Again, I hope he retires and writes books or something and leaves that dumpster fire of a franchise out to burn.


I'm quite confident that Fitz won't be playing football in the 2020 NFL season (4 years) and most likely not in the 2019 season (3 years).  I'd take that one to the board.

Wait isnt he the new Vinny Testerverde? Saving teams at QB one after another?


Back to top Go down
Carolina Werewolves
 
 
avatar

Posts : 2181

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:40 pm

I think that Fitz is just a guy. Nothing special about him. The thing is that Superbowls have been won by quarterbacks who are just guys. I am not saying that the Jets are a Superbowl team but they have playoff caliber players on defense and offense.

Geno who I loved coming out of college self destructs in games. Fitz can lead them to an AFC east title with the Brady-less Pats the only real competition. (Sorry Miami and Bills fans. your teams suck worse which is really saying something)

That being said, for Fitz to say he wants a 12 million one year deal when he knows the Jets have 3.5 mil in cap space is posturing on his part. The Jets don't think he is worth cutting 2 or 3 guys or re structuring a few, and frankly I don't either. In a few weeks the Jets are going to have to bite the bullet and give him 12 up front for 2 and 6 in the 3rd and cut his ass after next if Hack is any good. Nothing else I can think of.


Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7113

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:17 am

I think the reports might be bogus. If he wants a 1 year 12 million dollar deal, then that's already on the table. Just take it and holdout the 2nd year.


Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws
 
 
avatar

Posts : 4777

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:28 am

Morrison Minions wrote:
I think the reports might be bogus. If he wants a 1 year 12 million dollar deal, then that's already on the table. Just take it and holdout the 2nd year.

No, that deal is not on the table, Fitz has said he would accept a 1 yr deal if it was worth 12 million... The Jets won't do that, frankly they can't, there is no way to structure that deal that makes sense for them when they only have 3.1 million in cap space.

As Jason mentioned, I don't think the Jets are going to be willing to cut some other players or restructure deals to make room for overpaying an average QB... It makes no sense for them to do that.



Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants
 
 
avatar

Posts : 11015

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:03 pm

If they want a shot at the playoffs they will.


Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws
 
 
avatar

Posts : 4777

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:13 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
If they want a shot at the playoffs they will.

I disagree, they didn't make the playoffs last year during his best season and there is no guarantee he can ever repeat that level of play. I don't believe it is a given that the team is any better with Fitz than without him...


Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants
 
 
avatar

Posts : 11015

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:14 pm

Devils Tower Outlaws wrote:
Titletown Tyrants wrote:
If they want a shot at the playoffs they will.

I disagree,   they didn't make the playoffs last year during his best season and there is no guarantee he can ever repeat that level of play.    I don't believe it is a given that the team is any better with Fitz than without him...

That's just silly, and it's just because you want to argue your point.


Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7113

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:17 pm

Devils Tower Outlaws wrote:
Morrison Minions wrote:
I think the reports might be bogus. If he wants a 1 year 12 million dollar deal, then that's already on the table. Just take it and holdout the 2nd year.

No,  that deal is not on the table,   Fitz has said he would accept a 1 yr deal if it was worth 12 million...   The Jets won't do that,  frankly they can't,   there is no way to structure that deal that makes sense for them when they only have 3.1 million in cap space.

As Jason mentioned,   I don't think the Jets are going to be willing to cut some other players or restructure deals to make room for overpaying an average QB...  It makes no sense for them to do that.


There was a report of a 3 year deal for 24 million, 12 million in the first year.

Devils Tower Outlaws wrote:
Its in the report that you posted above...   it says that Fitzpatrick was asking for a deal in the neighborhood of $16 million annually.   When the Jets offered a 3 yr deal that would have paid him $12 million in the first year he rejected it because he wants more...  Only recently he is saying he would come down to $12 million provided it is a 1 year deal,  which the Jets apparently aren't interested in...

So he should take that deal and holdout the 2nd year. That seems like basic common sense to me. He wants 12 million this year and that has already been offered.


Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5547

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:20 pm

In theory that would work Shawn but the Jets would have no reason to renegotiate.  So he either plays under the contract or he quits/retires/etc. and then the Jets go after him for the unearned bonus money.  

As for Nick, I do think that he just likes to post.  It's the only explanation.  Yes, Fitz had an average year with a great set of WRs.  But Elway he ain't.  I'll base my evaluation off his entire 10 year body of work.


Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants
 
 
avatar

Posts : 11015

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:34 pm

I'm not arguing that he is great, he is not. I do think he is top 20, and if they trot Geno or anyone else on their roster out there, they will have the worst starting QB in the league.


Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos
 
 
avatar

Posts : 2773

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:47 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:

That's just silly, and it's just because you want to argue your point.

...Or because he is a proud Geno owner. wink

It's been mentioned that the "Jests" would be content with muddling through the season with "whoever" at QB...If true, why bring in Forte, a 30 yo RB on a three year contract? They must want to win now, just a little bit... Neutral Course, Foles may be a FA soon...perhaps he plays better on the East coast.
laughing


Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals
 
 
avatar

Posts : 23398

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:50 pm

I think it's interesting what people get into...some stats, some money, some eyeball talent, some othr details.

I have never cared about salaries...my eyes gloss over at all of it because at the end of the day it doesn't concern me so no need to spend energy thinking on it but I appreciate it when others get into it like ya'll are because I catch scenarios I otherwise wouldn't notice.

I feel Fitz has been pretty consistent for years (his surrounding cast has varied) and again the Jets are gonna suck that much more if they don't get him on board.


Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5547

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:51 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
I'm not arguing that he is great, he is not. I do think he is top 20, and if they trot Geno or anyone else on their roster out there, they will have the worst starting QB in the league.


Let's see if RGIII wins the job in Cleveland before making that prediction.


Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos
 
 
avatar

Posts : 2773

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:55 pm

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
Titletown Tyrants wrote:
I'm not arguing that he is great, he is not. I do think he is top 20, and if they trot Geno or anyone else on their roster out there, they will have the worst starting QB in the league.


Let's see if RGIII wins the job in Cleveland before making that prediction.

...should probably include Sanchez, and the SF cluster of Kap/Gab.  Lots of messy QB situations out there.

PS...Thanks for changing that "highlight" color Russ... lol3


Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws
 
 
avatar

Posts : 4777

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:58 pm

Morrison Minions wrote:
Devils Tower Outlaws wrote:
Morrison Minions wrote:
I think the reports might be bogus. If he wants a 1 year 12 million dollar deal, then that's already on the table. Just take it and holdout the 2nd year.

No,  that deal is not on the table,   Fitz has said he would accept a 1 yr deal if it was worth 12 million...   The Jets won't do that,  frankly they can't,   there is no way to structure that deal that makes sense for them when they only have 3.1 million in cap space.

As Jason mentioned,   I don't think the Jets are going to be willing to cut some other players or restructure deals to make room for overpaying an average QB...  It makes no sense for them to do that.


There was a report of a 3 year deal for 24 million, 12 million in the first year.

Devils Tower Outlaws wrote:
Its in the report that you posted above...   it says that Fitzpatrick was asking for a deal in the neighborhood of $16 million annually.   When the Jets offered a 3 yr deal that would have paid him $12 million in the first year he rejected it because he wants more...  Only recently he is saying he would come down to $12 million provided it is a 1 year deal,  which the Jets apparently aren't interested in...

So he should take that deal and holdout the 2nd year. That seems like basic common sense to me. He wants 12 million this year and that has already been offered.


The Jets did offer a 3 yr deal that included $12 million in the first year, but Fitz has rejected it... maybe because he wanted $16 million or maybe becuase of the way it is structured, I don't really know...

Fitz came back asking for a 1 yr deal worth $12 million, but the Jets have rejected that, my guess is because they can't fit a guaranteed 1 yr deal like under the cap and also it makes no sense for them to spend that kind of money for one season.

Not sure if the Jets original 3 yr offer is still on the table or not...


Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws
 
 
avatar

Posts : 4777

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:27 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Devils Tower Outlaws wrote:
Titletown Tyrants wrote:
If they want a shot at the playoffs they will.

I disagree,   they didn't make the playoffs last year during his best season and there is no guarantee he can ever repeat that level of play.    I don't believe it is a given that the team is any better with Fitz than without him...

That's just silly, and it's just because you want to argue your point.

No, saying that a below replacement level journeyman QB who has never made the playoffs in his entire career somehow is the key to the Jets making the playoffs is silly!

Its not about winning an argument, there is NO such thing as winning a fantasy football argument! Where have you been...

But I am not shy about expressing my opinion... and personally I don't think very highly of Fitz... I think last year was an anomaly that he will be hard pressed to repeat... As I mentioned before, it is a major red flag to me when a player doesn't have his first above average (and only slightly above average) season until he is already 32 years old. I could be wrong on Fitz, maybe he can continue to be a slightly above average QB for the next few years, and maybe he even does make the playoffs, but I find that the more unlikely scenario... I believe he will regress and continue along his inconsistent and woefully average career path... so obviously I don't believe he gives the Jets any better shot at the playoffs than if they don't have him.


Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws
 
 
avatar

Posts : 4777

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:59 pm

Oaktown Malosos wrote:
Titletown Tyrants wrote:

That's just silly, and it's just because you want to argue your point.

...Or because he is a proud Geno owner.  wink

It's been mentioned that the "Jests" would be content with muddling through the season with "whoever" at QB...If true, why bring in Forte, a 30 yo RB on a three year contract?  They must want to win now, just a little bit... Neutral  Course, Foles may be a FA soon...perhaps he plays better on the East coast.
 laughing  

Not sure I am a "proud" Geno owner, but for what I paid in the auction which was something like $1 or $2 WB's, I will take a shot, partially because I don't belive in Fitzpatrick and partially because I wouldn't be totally surprised if the Jet's don't resign Fitz...

I mentioned it before, but it seems that everyone has forgotten or is just outright ignoring the fact that Geno was beating out Fitz in camp last year and was in line to start before the injury to his jaw... That was the only reason Fitz got the starting gig... I believe it is perfectly plausible that the Jets are far more comfortable with moving ahead with Geno (and their rookies) than overpaying for someone like Fitz.

I think that Geno has gotten alot of flack, some deserved and some not so much... He was thown to the wolves as a rookie with a terrible offensive supporting cast and he, very predictably, struggled through that year... Some QB's need some time to develop and Geno is still young (25 years old), I think there is still some untapped potential and upside there... I don't think he's a lock or anything, but I think he is better than those who are too quick to write off a young developing QB... I could see a scenario where he steps in with the much improved Jets offense and plays well, certainly worth the minimal investment it took to get him...


Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals
 
 
avatar

Posts : 23398

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:26 pm

I don't know that it's fair to judge anyone who played under Jeff Fisher in the last 10 years or so...that guy is such a POS. Fitz clearly isn't "great" but I think he's a decent player who won't fuck up a team that isn't already a problem.


Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5547

PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:28 pm

If we keep it up in a day or two this thread will have more posts than Fitzy has career TDs.


Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB   

Back to top Go down
 
Ryan Fitzpatrick QB TBB
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Player talk-
Jump to: