x

Share | 

Torrey Smith WR PHI

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:56 am

This is one of the highest upside guys out there IMO.  Flacco can really chuck the ball deep and Smith is the only one on the team who can go get it.

Quote :
The Baltimore Sun notes that Torrey Smith's improvement from a year ago is "noticeable." Analysis: Smith was a one-trick pony as a rookie, exclusively running deep fly patterns. The fact that he was able to rack up 50 catches for 841 yards with seven touchdowns highlights his impressive talent level. Now, the Sun says his "route running is better and he is getting his hips down and accelerating going in and out of breaks." There's significant upside here.

Last edited by Mohawk Ridge Marauders on Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:23 am

I think he's on my team. Another, high upside guy, on my team. Yes, I believe I did that on purpose. rock on

Back to top Go down
Omega City Legends

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:39 pm

Explosive, Yes. Consistent, I dont think so.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:27 pm

Jersey Legionnaires wrote:
This is one of the highest upside guys out there IMO. Flacco can really chuck the ball deep and Smith is the only one on the team who can go get it.

Uh. I can't agree with all of that. They just signed Jacoby Jones and he can get after it.

Back to top Go down
Utah Spazz

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:56 pm

I like Smith but I see him more of a DeSean Jackson type where he can get you 2 TD's and 100 yds in a few games and in the other games go for 2-3 catches for 35 yards.

Back to top Go down
http://www.fakeplastictunes.com/
Minnesota Destroyers

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:43 pm

Colorado Screaming Eagles wrote:
They just signed Jacoby Jones
:asleep:

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:34 pm

Omega City Legends wrote:

He's played one year.

I think he's a breakout candidate, just went too expensive in RW for me to get him. I've bought him in a couple leagues.

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:46 pm

Adelaide Empire wrote:

He's played one year.

I think he's a breakout candidate, just went too expensive in RW for me to get him. I've bought him in a couple leagues.

$38 or $42 is expensive? Considering his upside, I'd say that's a bargain.

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:47 pm

This is one of the highest upside guys out there IMO. Flacco can really chuck the ball deep and Smith is the only one on the team who can go get it.

Uh. I can't agree with all of that. They just signed Jacoby Jones and he can get after it.

Do you think they signed Jones to compete with Smith?

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:51 pm

Chicago Crime Syndicate wrote:
Adelaide Empire wrote:

He's played one year.

I would too. vote yes

Except he went for $57 in TT and $73 and DD so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

Back to top Go down
Omega City Legends

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:38 pm

Adelaide Empire wrote:

He's played one year.

Of course by years end he may have ok numbers.....but based on his skill set he isnt someone I think I'd ever look to start on a consistent basis - especially considering the offense he plays in. I trust Torrey Smith as much as I trust Flacco and the Ravens being a consistent aerial attack....that number is low.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:16 pm

Adelaide Empire wrote:

He's played one year.

Of course by years end he may have ok numbers.....but based on his skill set he isnt someone I think I'd ever look to start on a consistent basis - especially considering the offense he plays in. I trust Torrey Smith as much as I trust Flacco and the Ravens being a consistent aerial attack....that number is low.

I agree with you. I think he got away with a few things last year that he likely will not this year. I don't think he is terrible or anything but I don't see anything special either.

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:20 pm

Adelaide Empire wrote:
Adelaide Empire wrote:

He's played one year.

I would too. vote yes

Except he went for $57 in TT and $73 and DD so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

$57. Fine. Whatever. I'm not sure what $73 has to do with anything because you arent in the DD. and $57 is still a bargain. I can count a lot of players that went for a lot more than Smith that aren't as good and have nowhere near the ceiling. I the Ravens allow him to run a larger route tree, he could push for 70 receptions this year and 8-10 TD's.

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:24 pm

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Adelaide Empire wrote:

He's played one year.

I agree with you. I think he got away with a few things last year that he likely will not this year. I don't think he is terrible or anything but I don't see anything special either.

What do you mean that he "got away with a few things last year that he won't get away with this year"? He was only allowed to run 1 pattern last season. The fly. He was routinely out of sync with Flacco even though he ran by the CB most of the time. Even then, he still had 7TD's as a rookie. If he develops his route tree, with his speed and with an actual non-lockout offseason, he could have a breakout year. He is a special talent.

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:19 am

Adelaide Empire wrote:
Adelaide Empire wrote:

He's played one year.

I would too. vote yes

$57. Fine. Whatever. I'm not sure what $73 has to do with anything because you arent in the DD. and $57 is still a bargain. I can count a lot of players that went for a lot more than Smith that aren't as good and have nowhere near the ceiling. I the Ravens allow him to run a larger route tree, he could push for 70 receptions this year and 8-10 TD's.

Please do:

Johnson, Calvin DET WR $136.00
Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR $113.00
Nicks, Hakeem NYG WR $106.00
Green, A.J. CIN WR $100.00
Jones, Julio ATL WR $96.00
Jennings, Greg GBP WR $88.00
Wallace, Mike PIT WR $87.00
Johnson, Andre HOU WR $82.00
Cruz, Victor NYG WR $80.00
Harvin, Percy MIN WR $80.00
White, Roddy ATL WR $77.00
Britt, Kenny TEN WR $76.00
Marshall, Brandon CHI WR $75.00
Welker, Wes NEP WR $75.00
Bryant, Dez DAL WR $73.00
Thomas, Demaryius DEN WR $72.00
Nelson, Jordy GBP WR $70.00
Johnson, Steve BUF WR $68.00
Maclin, Jeremy PHI WR $65.00
Brown, Antonio PIT WR $65.00
Austin, Miles DAL WR $61.00
Jackson, DeSean PHI WR $60.00

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:25 am

Adelaide Empire wrote:
Adelaide Empire wrote:

He's played one year.

I would too. vote yes

$57. Fine. Whatever. I'm not sure what $73 has to do with anything because you arent in the DD.

I think the price he went for in DD is probably more relevant than the ones you made up out of thin air. announce

Back to top Go down
Omega City Legends

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:16 am

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Adelaide Empire wrote:

He's played one year.

What do you mean that he "got away with a few things last year that he won't get away with this year"? He was only allowed to run 1 pattern last season. The fly. He was routinely out of sync with Flacco even though he ran by the CB most of the time. Even then, he still had 7TD's as a rookie. If he develops his route tree, with his speed and with an actual non-lockout offseason, he could have a breakout year. He is a special talent.

Special talent doesnt always mean good fantasy production. Desean Jackson is a special talent.....but he was overrated for a few years. Last years drop off in production was no coincidence - at least not to me. And besides you just gave two huge reasons (among many) why Torrey Smith wont improve too much upon his numbers this year. He isnt a red zone threat for the Ravens, Flacco sucks, and he needs to prove he can effectively run a route tree... so I doubt he ever scores more than 7-8 TD's on a "breakout" year because of all that.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:50 am

Absolutely not. I am just saying that it isn't true to say "Smith is the only one on the team who can go get it." I actually agree with a lot of people here that say "he's a breakout candidate." Only reason I don't have him on my team is because I will not pay $73 for an unproven player. If I were to pay that much I would expect him to become another Mike Wallace and I don't see him becoming THAT good.

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:04 am

Absolutely not. I am just saying that it isn't true to say "Smith is the only one on the team who can go get it." I actually agree with a lot of people here that say "he's a breakout candidate." Only reason I don't have him on my team is because I will not pay $73 for an unproven player. If I were to pay that much I would expect him to become another Mike Wallace and I don't see him becoming THAT good.

Torrey Smith has a lot of Mike Wallace attributes in him. They are the same height. Same weight. They both can fly. Did you think that Mike Wallace was going to become Mike Wallace after his 39 catch, 756 yard 6 TD rookie campaign? Torrey Smith bested him in all those categories playing with a worse QB, during a lockout shortened offseason. I'm not saying that Torrey Smith is guaranteed to do anything or become anyone better than he was last year. But I don't understand the reasoning behind the thought that Torrey Smith can't become a Mike Wallace type player after a lockout shortened rookie campaign.

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:06 am

... so I doubt he ever scores more than 7-8 TD's on a "breakout" year because of all that.

He already did that during his rookie campaign. For you to just guess that he won't ever score more than 7 TD's (which he already did) isn't based on any reality, just your bias. Which is fine, but odds are good that he will continue to improve and score more than 7 TD's either this year or the following.

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:13 am

Adelaide Empire wrote:
Adelaide Empire wrote:
Adelaide Empire wrote:

He's played one year.

I would too. vote yes

$57. Fine. Whatever. I'm not sure what $73 has to do with anything because you arent in the DD.

I think the price he went for in DD is probably more relevant than the ones you made up out of thin air. announce

Excuse me, fine sir. I didn't copy down the obsolete contract prices and input them into my excel spreadsheet, just to prove my superiority when someone on the forum forgets the price of a player. Gosh, that must make you feel good! Glad I could help.

Anyhow, if I am to assume your numbers correct, Smith looks like a solid bargain to me and hardly expensive. He would be the 23rd most expensive WR (assuming there wasn't anyone additional that cost $57-$60). And I would take a $57 Torrey Smith over a good 5 or 6 of those guys at their higher prices and advanced age.

Since you have the sheet, can you list all the less expensive WR's. I'd be interested in seeing that.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:14 pm

Torrey Smith has a lot of Mike Wallace attributes in him. They are the same height. Same weight. They both can fly. Did you think that Mike Wallace was going to become Mike Wallace after his 39 catch, 756 yard 6 TD rookie campaign? Torrey Smith bested him in all those categories playing with a worse QB, during a lockout shortened offseason. I'm not saying that Torrey Smith is guaranteed to do anything or become anyone better than he was last year. But I don't understand the reasoning behind the thought that Torrey Smith can't become a Mike Wallace type player after a lockout shortened rookie campaign.

Answer:

playing with a worse QB

Back to top Go down
Omega City Legends

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:14 pm

... so I doubt he ever scores more than 7-8 TD's on a "breakout" year because of all that.

He already did that during his rookie campaign. For you to just guess that he won't ever score more than 7 TD's (which he already did) isn't based on any reality, just your bias. Which is fine, but odds are good that he will continue to improve and score more than 7 TD's either this year or the following.

I said I DOUBT that he will score MORE...than 7-8 (he only scored 7). You assume that ones development in every regard is always forward progress. That is your bias, and it isnt completely true because you are eliminating so many variables - including regression, and your potential error in judgment. If you look at Mike Wallace and Desean Jackson saying that Torrey Smith wont score more than 7-8 TD's isn't bias at all compared to what those two were able to do with better QB's and more favorable systems...look at their numbers.

2011 Torrey Smith
50-841-7

2009 Mike Wallace
39-756-6

2010 Mike Wallace
60-1257-10

2011 Mike Wallace
72-1190-8

2008 Desean Jackson
62-912-2

2009 Desean Jackson
62-1160-9

2010 Desean Jackson
47-1060-6

2011 Desean Jackson
58-960-4

Saying I dont think he will score MORE than 7-8 is not unreasonable. Its actually pretty standard, and pretty objective considering his terrible QB, the system he is in, and his skill set. (Heck Fitzgerald only scored 8 TD's last year and he is a beastly red zone threat). To EXPECT anything more than 8, and less than 5 from Smith I think is bias for, AND against him. I understand he has potential...many players do. Could I be wrong about his range of potential? Sure. But to say that you'd expect him to put up the kind of numbers you are claiming....a lot would have to change and I dont see it changing as quickly and drastically as you do.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:53 pm

I see him like I see Sidney Rice...there will always be folks who argue that he is this or that but he just isn't. He had 7 TDs but 3 of those were against the damn Rams in one game so you can forget about that shit happening again....and now what?

He is as good as the team around him which by definition for me is the opposite of "special talent" as a "special talent" in my eyes is a guy who excels despite his surroundings. Guys like Barry Sanders, Stephen Jackson and Calvin Johnson are "special talents" who played on bad teams.

Again, not saying is horrible but he ain't special.

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:53 pm

I don't think anyone in this thread was comparing Torrey Smith to Calvin Johnson or any of the elite WR's in the league.

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:54 pm

Answer:

playing with a worse QB

So then what you're saying that is no WR can have a solid fantasy season unless their QB is great or elite?

Back to top Go down
Omega City Legends

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:26 pm

Answer:

playing with a worse QB

So then what you're saying that is no WR can have a solid fantasy season unless their QB is great or elite?

the point is....you said he is a special talent as if that were to mean something significant. The majority of the players in the NFL have special talents. He is not a elite talent...and because of that his upside will suffer at the hands of his supporting cast...which is very weak.

Look at the top 15 WR's in yardage and tell me how many of those guys either have a) elite skills b) a great QB or c) some combination of both. Torrey Smith does not have either. Its possible he produces well enough to be relevant but thats not anything to get excited about in this league. Like I said he could score 7-8 TD's....but I doubt he goes any higher than that. Most players with his abilities hover around 5-8....in order for him to truly "break out" his production will need to come from getting a lot of catches and yardage....and being in Baltimore does not favor either of those ideas....

Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:41 pm

Answer:

playing with a worse QB

the point is....you said he is a special talent as if that were to mean something significant. The majority of the players in the NFL have special talents. He is not a elite talent...and because of that his upside will suffer at the hands of his supporting cast...which is very weak.

Look at the top 15 WR's in yardage and tell me how many of those guys either have a) elite skills b) a great QB or c) some combination of both. Torrey Smith does not have either. Its possible he produces well enough to be relevant but thats not anything to get excited about in this league. Like I said he could score 7-8 TD's....but I doubt he goes any higher than that. Most players with his abilities hover around 5-8....in order for him to truly "break out" his production will need to come from getting a lot of catches and yardage....and being in Baltimore does not favor either of those ideas....
:goodposting:

Back to top Go down
San Diego Killers

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:01 pm

I just don't see Smith being the next Wallace or Jackson. He is a good deep threat but could be stopped when paid attention to

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:53 am

San Diego Killers wrote:
I just don't see Smith being the next Wallace or Jackson. He is a good deep threat but could be stopped when paid attention to

I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but what's the basis for this? It's a dandy opinion, but why do you say it?

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:47 am

Adelaide Empire wrote:
Adelaide Empire wrote:
Adelaide Empire wrote:

He's played one year.

I would too. vote yes

Excuse me, fine sir. I didn't copy down the obsolete contract prices and input them into my excel spreadsheet, just to prove my superiority when someone on the forum forgets the price of a player. Gosh, that must make you feel good! Glad I could help.

LOL. You're the one that tried to bring up the "obsolete" prices, I just thought it'd be useful to post, you know, the real ones.

Just say something like "I stand corrected" and move along, no reason to get all bitchy about it.

Back to top Go down
Omega City Legends

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:23 am

Adelaide Empire wrote:

LOL. You're the one that tried to bring up the "obsolete" prices, I just thought it'd be useful to post, you know, the real ones.

Just say something like "I stand corrected" and move along, no reason to get all bitchy about it.

Mike, have you not yet realized how difficult this is for Jason? doh

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:25 am

The funny thing is I agree with much of what he's saying - I think he could be the next Mike Wallace. I just simply think he was over-priced given his current risk/reward proposal.

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:23 am

Torrey Smith - WR - Ravens
ESPN's Jamison Hensley expects Torrey Smith to assume the role of No. 1 receiver this season.
Anquan Boldin will be 32 in October and has averaged a meager 57.4 yards per game since joining the Ravens two years ago. It's time for Smith's vertical speed to take over. If he can show progress on routes other than the "go," there's a ton of upside here. It's something to watch during camp.

I like those words. rock on

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:49 pm

ESPN's Jamison Hensley expects Torrey Smith to assume the role of No. 1 receiver this season.
Anquan Boldin will be 32 in October and has averaged a meager 57.4 yards per game since joining the Ravens two years ago. It's time for Smith's vertical speed to take over. If he can show progress on routes other than the "go," there's a ton of upside here. It's something to watch during camp.

Bolded the more important word for you... eating popcorn

Back to top Go down
Omega City Legends

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:01 pm

Norfolk Bombers wrote:

Bolded the more important word for you... eating popcorn

IF you build it they WILL come

thinking

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:27 am

Quote :
Baltimore Ravens WR Torrey Smith (ankle) was held out of the team's second preseason game as a precaution. He is expected to return to action for the third preseason contest Thursday, Aug. 23, against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

I really like Smith this year if he can stay on the field.

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:55 am

Just saw on twitter that his younger brother died in a motorcycle accident last night. Decision to play tonight is up to him.

Really sucks.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:14 am

That is so sad...be surprised to see him out there.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Quote :
Smith is active for Sunday night's game against the Patriots, the Ravens' official site reports. Analysis: Smith will be out there Sunday night, no doubt playing with heavy heart, following the tragic death of his younger brother in a motorcycle accident.

He's playing!

Back to top Go down
San Diego Killers

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:02 pm

God he has to go through the same thing so soon on Thursday

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:13 am

Quote :
Smith (unspecified injury) did not practice Sunday, the Baltimore Sun reports. Analysis: While the nature of his injury wasn't specified by the team, the report notes that Smith had his calf wrapped during practice Saturday.
Hmmmm

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:41 am

The team doesn't seem too worried, just a little down time after a long camp I would guess. We'll see though...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:57 am

What do you all think about this guy for 2014 and beyond? Does he still seem like a good player to trade for in a dynasty league or did his down year cause him to dip way down the rankings of WR's to covet...

Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:06 am

Florida Chaetomorpha wrote:
What do you all think about this guy for 2014 and beyond? Does he still seem like a good player to trade for in a dynasty league or did his down year cause him to dip way down the rankings of WR's to covet...

By far my opinion, as I'm sure others will disagree...

I think he is an above average WR.

QB here is a problem in my eyes. Flacco wants to be an Elite QB like Manning/Brady/Brees, getting paid like one.

He just isn't. I firmly believe he is the reason they missed the Playoffs this year. I'm not sure if he audibled out of running plays or that they sidelines sent in so many pass plays.

They just didn't run the ball enough this year top be effective. IMHO, they should have one of the better running teams in the NFL with Rice/Pierce, they just didn't use them enough. This is a team that needs the run to setup the pass, not vice-versa.

Back to the topic, he still had a decent year even with an average QB, so I would say he is one that should e held onto for now.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:13 am

I don't like him at all. I have him one spot higher than Sidney "I suck" Rice in my imaginary don't-actually-exist rankings. He will have good games for sure as long as he holds that role with the Ravens but I don't see him as ever being a consistent producer and if anything changes on that team at WR or if were to switch teams, it would be OVER.

Overrated.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:34 am

Hmm thanks guys. Anyone else wanna break the tie? lol

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:46 am

Florida Chaetomorpha wrote:

Not sure what you mean by a down year? He dipped a bit in TD's but otherwise had career highs with 65 catches for 1128 yards... But the entire Ravens dipped and as Bob alluded to it all started with Flacco at QB, he just wasn't that good this year... Of course there is more to it than that, the O-Line was bad and the running game struggled and to add to that the Ravens trading Boldin was ill-advised and premature... due to that trade and injuries at TE and WR, Smith was often the only decent target that Flacco had and despite constant double coverage he was actually pretty damn productive considering... If you don't watch the games and study the circumstances and just simply look at stats how can you possibly make a reasonable determination about his fantasy value moving forward?

There is so much misinformation or biased opinions out there, even from so-called fantasy experts... for example there are critics that coming into this last season just kept saying that Torrey couldn't run all the routes and was nothing more than a 9 route fly pattern receiver when that couldn't be further from the truth. Anybody who actually paid attention realized that he ran all the routes but his role the first couple of years in the NFL was to be the #2 and #3 WR and to stretch the field deep more often than not. This year was his first season as the #1 WR in the Ravens offense and he ran all the routes just fine, and despite the constant double coverage, and despite the lack of help from any other receivers or any kind of a running game he had a fine season considering the circumstances. If the Ravens can shore up the offensive line and get the running game going again and get healthy at receiver and TE again, Torrey is easily capable of putting up 80+ catches and 1300-1400 recieving yards and 8+ TDs, even with Flacco at QB.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:13 am

Thanks great info!

Back to top Go down
Vegas Beach Tiger Sharks

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:36 am

If you put any stock in the Pro Football Focus analytics, which grade out every position for every play, Smith's receiving grade puts him at WR45, just ahead of Jacoby Jones and Jarius Wright.

He's graded behind guys like Rishard Matthews, Ted Ginn, and Rod Streater. His sample size (snap count) is bigger than those guys, but they all have enough of a sample size to draw a reasonable average from. But the only player with over 1,000 snaps with a worse receiving grade for 2013 is DeAndre Hopkins.

Again, any grading system is inherently subjective, but it's at least interesting if nothing else. PFF seems to have earned a pretty solid level of respect in the football world, so it's not like the numbers are being arrived at without meticulous tracking.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Torrey Smith WR PHI   

Back to top Go down

Torrey Smith WR PHI
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Player talk-
Jump to: