Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Maplewood Doppelgangers

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:04 pm

Nevada NightHawks wrote:
Maplewood Doppelgangers wrote:
I'll name name! Peck Kingfish and New York Jet Set! lol3

ROFL Did he get 2 picks in or 3 before an early retirement?  I mean I was a rookie at IDP and was nervous about messing up, but this guy made me look like Vince Lombardi.

He took Derek Carr with his 1.02 or 1.03 and the next round took Derek Henry.  Just liked Dereks I guess!  Then I found Andy at work and he put the draft on pause so he could deal with it.

Last edited by Maplewood Doppelgangers on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kansas City Kings

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:11 pm

If we are filled then we are filled, start a waitlist and the true believers that stick around until next season get first crack.   There are still a couple Minors teams that havent paid so we might have more spots than we know yet. I think Matt and Carla in the Minors is good, I mean i dont want to do that shit.  

Redraft is gross.

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:14 pm

Nevada NightHawks wrote:
Even that RWTC first season had hiccups with some owners.  I not about to name names, but I'm sure we all remember some of those guys, and that's all I'm gonna say about that.

SALUT!   beer

That was the RWTC second season.

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:17 pm

Nevada NightHawks wrote:
I'll name name! Peck Kingfish and New York Jet Set! lol3

ROFL Did he get 2 picks in or 3 before an early retirement?  I mean I was a rookie at IDP and was nervous about messing up, but this guy made me look like Vince Lombardi.

He took Derek Carr with his 1.02 or 1.03 and the next round took Derek Henry.  Just liked Dereks I guess!  Then I found Andy at work and he put the draft of pause!

Derek Henry, that's right.  I couldn't remember who he took 2nd.  I remember the Carr pick to start things off which raised eyebrows, and then Henry came off the board.   ROFL

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:48 pm

In all seriousness, Carr was an MVP candidate that season....

Back to top Go down
Riverside Rottweilers

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:03 am

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
At the outset I'd like to say that this is coming from a guy that hung around for a while for a spot and even had a false start or two where I thought I had a team open up for me.  The minors were intended to serve two purposes.  The first was to create a proving ground for new owners to show that they were here long term and could satisfy certain minimum standards before getting into the main league.  The second was to give those waiting something to do during the wait.

With that in mind, I have two other thoughts.  Keeping Carla and Matt in the Minors is a good thing for the minors.  And we don't have to give a spot to everyone that expresses interest in joining RW -- either in the Minors or main league.  This sounds harsh but it's the truth.  We have a lot of people that have interest and most, if not all, of them show potential.  But do we need to jump to a dispersal draft right now?  

I think that we stop or slow down recruitment owners and let things sort themselves out.  Shoot for a dispersal draft around March 1st or April 1st and let's see how things shake out.  If all 7 potential owners are still active and want to be a part we can deal with it at that time.  But I do think there is a benefit in having people wait and work for a spot.  Right now we are in a honeymoon stage but things may change if we give it a little bit of time.  Hopefully none of the new guys take this the wrong way but I think that the best for the long term of both leagues is dealing with only 5 openings and put the 5 best new owners in those spots.  For those that don't make the cut, it's very likely that one or two spots will open up in the next 12 months with 46 different people currently having teams.  So, while it would suck in the long term, there is a chance that a spot will be open for everyone at some point if they really want it and stick around like others have before them.

vote yes I agree.

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:43 am

What Russ said. Aim for April 1st to let everything shake out.

Back to top Go down
Manhattan Beach Militia

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:47 am

I think there are several good suggestions on how to deal with more owners than teams. I do like the idea of waiting a bit to see who sticks around before any final decisions are made. It would be great if all could jump in next season, but at this point, I think a lottery would be fair and then establish a waitlist.

Back to top Go down
Edinburgh Galacticos

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:38 am

I think it would be unfair for Carla & Matt to leave the Minors - not to mention they are putting the work into organising / commissioning the league. You wouldn't expect them to do that if they were not involved in the league. I think they have to stay.

As for expansion, I hate the idea because of the player dilution. I think if you were to make it fair we would all have to give up top players into the dispersal, or high draft picks and I don't want to do that either. Not fair as we all have a strategy in place and that would change everything.

My solution may sound harsh, but really it is no different to how just about everyone who has been on this forum longer than a year started. You have no guarantee of a spot in any league. You get involved, show your worth and bide your time.
When I started there was no Minor league and I joined this forum in the knowledge that I may have to try and keep involved for 1 or 2 years without ever being in a league. And I did.

As for narrowing it down who can join the minors, we have some time before we need to make a decision. Why don't we leave it a month and monitor activity from new people to see who the best fits are for the minors. Either Andy/Carla can decide, or if you wanted us involved we could all hold a vote.

Yes you may lose 1 or 2 of the new guys this way, but you would probably lose them anyway. This league isn't for everyone - if they quit on the first sign of adversity then you probably don't want them anyway.

Back to top Go down
Alaska Arsenic

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:03 am

I agree with Russ as well. Like I said originally, there is no guarantee that the guy who signed up 1st is better than the guy who signed up 6th long term. Let it work itself out and it will be best for the league. Things are so active here that we don't need to schedule a whole month to get shit done - Andy can afford to wait.

Back to top Go down
http://faketeams.com
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:52 am

How does the Activity Tracker fit into this, if at all?  Does anyone ever get booted because of low scores on this to create room for new prospects?  Not saying I advocate this but always wondered what decisions would be made from Activity Tracker scores since the system was put in place.  Not sure I understand what the consequences are of getting points taken away on this thing.

Back to top Go down
Alaska Arsenic

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:12 am

Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:
How does the Activity Tracker fit into this, if at all?  Does anyone ever get booted because of low scores on this to create room for new prospects?  Not saying I advocate this but always wondered what decisions would be made from Activity Tracker scores since the system was put in place.  Not sure I understand what the consequences are of getting points taken away on this thing.

This is a solid question. We have a couple current owners that aren't active enough for what they would need to be. For the Minor League that isn't an issue because we aren't expected to do what the main league does as a minor leaguer. However, that begs the question of whether simply doing the bare minimum and being at the bottom of the AT is enough to justify an active spot when there may be a waitlist. This is obviously an Andy decision, but something I think should be thought about behind the scenes.

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:45 am

russ makes sense

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:32 am

No one gets booted from low scores from the AT, that is a separate thing that Andy deals with. The AT is set in place to show owners where they are pacing in all aspects. G, that sounds like you have a complaint about owners not being acting enough, and that’s something you need to talk to Andy about, as the bylaws are written to maintain action, and action is being maintained.

And the AT is a gauge of the waitlist Ed. It’s not the end all, be all.

Back to top Go down
Edinburgh Galacticos

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:35 am

Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:

Pretty sure this was designed to sort the order at the top for who would enter the main league when there is an opening. I don’t think there was ever any mention of consequences for being at the bottom end.
Obviously Andy made the call for a few Minor league guys at the end of the season anyway so I’m sure this played a part.

Back to top Go down
Edinburgh Galacticos

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:36 am

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
No one gets booted from low scores from the AT, that is a separate thing that Andy deals with. The AT is set in place to show owners where they are pacing in all aspects. G, that sounds like you have a complaint about owners not being acting enough, and that’s something you need to talk to Andy about, as the bylaws are written to maintain action, and action is being maintained.

Snap

Back to top Go down
Polk High Panthers

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:33 am

Kane County Goon Squad wrote:
russ makes sense

Ditto.

Let's see how these new folks pan out in the first month or two, may save us some heartache of putting the wrong fit in the league later

Back to top Go down
Alaska Arsenic

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:40 am

Titletown Tyrants wrote:

No issues at all. The AT tells the story. I will handle my business and that's all I can control.

Back to top Go down
Manhattan Beach Militia

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:19 am

Polk High Panthers wrote:
russ makes sense

Ditto.

Let's see how these new folks pan out in the first month or two, may save us some heartache of putting the wrong fit in the league later

agree

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:24 am

Wow, so many great thoughts. I read some the other day and a bunch just now and it's all a blur so I'll just throw out where I'm at either through more thought of my own or from comments made in this thread.

Carla was NEVER in jeopardy of losing her spot. I know very well that running a league of this ilk when you don't have a team in it would be awful.

Previously I had the thought that maybe Matt (Pigskins) could give up his spot but I've changed my mind. He stays as long as he would like to.

I am not rushed on the dispersal draft. I'm merely trying to think what the best play is for the club so that all that want to be here can be here and everyone gets treated properly.

Also, let's get one thing clear....we will not be expanding in such a way where there are 14 or 16 teams in a conference. TOo much shit would have to change and get fucked up by doing that. Twelve team conferences are set in stone.

The Big League finally had no turnover which is a big damn deal to me. The Minor League had more success in 2017 than I could have imagined and we have some excellent owners there who damn well could be in the Big League should they get the call.

What I want is something in place that makes everything surrounding recruitment, advancement, expansion, expulsion and whatever else to be nearly automatic.

I don't want to get back into the redraft game (RWTC) but just like some of the side games we have here, if Russ (or someone else) wants to run a redraft version of things as an "unofficial extension of RW" then I'll support that. Since it would be redraft, maybe it could be a new sign up every year with no pressure for existing people to keep playing and an emphasis on new people that want to hang around here getting in so they have something to do even if we don't have room elsewhere. If that happens and how it would work would completely up to someone not named ME though.

As for the Minor League, we have the Activity Tracker which indicates who is atop the list to make the Big League and I think that's pretty solid. I don't see a way that a pretender could get to our Big League. That's good. I think what I need to look into at some point is how could there ever be a realistic way for the Big League to expand because as it sits today it appears impossible.

This would be a big change and I haven't thought about it enough but here is the idea swirling...could there be a relegation/promotion system developed that allows for multiple Minor Leagues (even in a dynasty format) SO THAT there is the potential for the Big League to expand should enough truly quality owners be here for X amount of time and it's done in a way so that the Minor League never dies?
For fun, I'll just spitball this idea more. We have the Big League (24 teams). It can expand by sets of 12 without much trouble on my end. We currently have a Minor League (24 teams) but for this conversation let's just divide em into Conf-A and Conf-B. Now, just like we do with the Big League we could adjust so that you have to earn your way from B to A so we get a ladder system in RW. From there, we could recruit at whatever pace we want every year no matter what. We could add a Conf-C if there is enough interest and that's not hard. If you add a Conf-D and a year later we don't have enough interest I think I could solve that fairly easily too (not going into that depth unless we want to) but the Activity Tracker would have to be the key to all this. Winning or Losing wouldn't be the key. Which then of course leaves us with the "How in the fuck could this work in a dynasty format" question but if you stop and think about our objective at RW I think we have our answer and a precedent for how it would go....franchises change hands in an "as-is" condition. If you are in "D" and you get called up to "C" you will leave your team behind and get a new team in "C". If at any time you refuse to take a promotion you lose the ability to ever be promoted because ultimately we're looking for people that want to be in the Big League so bad they would take anything. Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiifffffffffffffffffff this were to be put in place, the two likely outcomes would be this: the first would occur for sure at the outset and that would be there would be some turnover and if multiple teams are added within a conference a dispersal draft would occur (meaning they would be fairly regular which is fine) but the second and likely the end result is that with time, the truly deserving owners will rise to the top and as full conferences of top talent solidify they would earn the right to be added to the Big League (as-is) and the system keeps rolling on. In that event, Conf-A would get added to the Big League which would make Conf-B the new Conf-A and Conf-C the new Conf-B. You see what I'm saying?

Now I'm assuming at least a few of you will think that idea is pretty sweet. I've thought about that for years. Some people will hate the idea of giving up dynasty franchises like that but nobody will force them off a good team but they will lose their ability to keep climbing but the decision would always be theirs to make (fair). The other key issue is my time and managing all of that. I can easily see it working but it'll be paramount that the hierarchy is well established and workload balanced (which we're already doing anyway). Basically, like we have today, any conference of the Minor League would have to have a veteran in charge of it (Carla in Conf-A, Matt in Conf-B and so on) which allows those of you who are interested in having another team (and there were several of you) to do so and not fuck up any of this idea. It actually could be quite smooth I believe.

I'll stop. Huge post already. For now, we'll get what we have in the Minor League filled appropriately. If there are any extra folks, they'll need to step up and stick around without a franchise until there is something figured out. If we are to ever turn the Minor League into the "ladder concept" outlined above I believe the best thing will be to put together a small group to work on that because if there are 40+ people involved it'll go in that many directions and never get done.

Either way, we're good today and wherever we go in the future will be good too.

Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:04 pm

I love the idea of Relegation and promotion and would be willing to expand my involvement to assist in seeing it happen. Thank you for being so forward thinking.

Back to top Go down
Haddonfield Slashers

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:22 pm

I definitely think we should wait and see which of the new guys will be the best fit(s) for the open Minor League teams, the dispersal is important for trading purposes because lets be honest trading is all but dead on the PP side of things with 3 open teams. Picking the right replacements is more important, but I also think this should be done in a timely manner. I also like Andy's idea of the relegation and promotion, the minor league guys are hungry to prove themselves against the big dogs.

Back to top Go down
Las Vegas Juggalos

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:30 pm

New guys 2 cents.

I signed on after reading the rules understanding I would have to earn my keep. You stated you don't want good people to leave because there isn't a spot. If they leave it means two things, they were right for this league and they didn't read the rules. The problem solves itself.

Look, I want a team. Give me a minor team and you will soon see me in the major. It doesn't matter to me if I draft one or I take over one. It will matter to you. If you let me draft one, I will be closer to my goal of joining the majors. In the words of someone once great, "it ain't cocky motherfocker, if you back it up."

I think making one league is a bad idea. Every year you will have owners that will drop, how would you handle the new guys that come in? Redraft? Let them take over a team? Do that now. There is never a dynamic of accepting new people that the new owners won't feel screwed. Sure, taking over a team might take a year or two to become winning but that is why we all love dynasty leagues.

Keep the minor and major leagues. I think it is important to keep one or two in the minor that is from the major, sounds like it helps things move easily. As far as expansion of the minor league, maybe, but I would still say no. Make them, yes I count myself as you since I won't be going anywhere, earn the spot or right to be here as mentioned before. If, we get to the point of needing more spots or a true expansion than I would say introduce a farm system. Where the new guys get a team the top two winners of the farm earn a spot to the minors and the bottom two teams of the minor go to the farm. However, that is still a change in teams, not a redraft.

Again, what do I know, I am new here. Don't change the things that got you to the position of needing to make more room.

Back to top Go down
Carolina Silverbacks

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:30 pm

All solid ideas Andy. Thanks for sharing. I’m open to anything honestly.

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:42 pm

Las Vegas Juggalos wrote:
New guys 2 cents.

I signed on after reading the rules understanding I would have to earn my keep. You stated you don't want good people to leave because there isn't a spot. If they leave it means two things, they were right for this league and they didn't read the rules. The problem solves itself.

Look, I want a team. Give me a minor team and you will soon see me in the major. It doesn't matter to me if I draft one or I take over one. It will matter to you. If you let me draft one, I will be closer to my goal of joining the majors. In the words of someone once great, "it ain't cocky motherfocker, if you back it up."

I think making one league is a bad idea. Every year you will have owners that will drop, how would you handle the new guys that come in? Redraft? Let them take over a team? Do that now. There is never a dynamic of accepting new people that the new owners won't feel screwed. Sure, taking over a team might take a year or two to become winning but that is why we all love dynasty leagues.

Keep the minor and major leagues. I think it is important to keep one or two in the minor that is from the major, sounds like it helps things move easily. As far as expansion of the minor league, maybe, but I would still say no. Make them, yes I count myself as you since I won't be going anywhere, earn the spot or right to be here as mentioned before. If, we get to the point of needing more spots or a true expansion than I would say introduce a farm system. Where the new guys get a team the top two winners of the farm earn a spot to the minors and the bottom two teams of the minor go to the farm. However, that is still a change in teams, not a redraft.

Again, what do I know, I am new here. Don't change the things that got you to the position of needing to make more room.
"it ain't cocky motherfocker, if you back it up."

rock on rock on rock on

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:54 pm

New guys 2 cents.

Nice post. Oh, we're not gonna have 1 league that's for sure. The thing is, a few people have come here and had no team and it's much more difficult to be active because at certain times of the year the vast majority of conversation swirls around league activities so I completely understand that we need to have something to keep all engaged. They need to own it too though.

It just makes sense that things would be uniformly set up so that it can grow if there is the interest and more importantly those who deserve to be at or near the top get there while those who are more lackluster are positioned accordingly too. I thought this years ago but figured it was nearly impossible with a dynasty format but today I think it's more doable with the caveat that owners would need to be more willing to navigate startup/dispersal/orphan team implications which again...they should be if their end goal is getting into our Big League.

The other obvious aspect that I don't know if I mentioned earlier, is that something would need to be tweaked so that teams doing little in the eyes of the Activity Tracker would be subject to moving down if better owners are coming up.

Back to top Go down
Edinburgh Galacticos

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:08 pm

Sounds good boss. I love the idea of expanding the majors. I think we have a really good core in the minors, got rid of a few bad apples but we have a good group.
I think if we can log a really solid season in 2018 we will give Andy some serious decisions to make for 2019.

Back to top Go down
Las Vegas Juggalos

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:13 pm

Minnesota Eternals wrote:

The other obvious aspect that I don't know if I mentioned earlier, is that something would need to be tweaked so that teams doing little in the eyes of the Activity Tracker would be subject to moving down if better owners are coming up.

This is what I was referring to near the end of my post. The system of promoting/demoting, which I believe your post also eluded to. Although I like this system, it can be tricky and detrimental for a league. If you have an owner sliding down, some might see it as a challenge but others will see it as a reason to quit. Now, this would just mean that a new prospect has a team to take over.

I think you have a pretty good core here, the majors, that could withstand this type of addition. The idea is that the major league is not messed with too often, other than bringing in new talent when needed and the minor league for everything else. Again, what you have going. If you guys decide to bring back the RWTC, hope I got that right, then that would be your farm system into the minors.

Also, if you are looking for more interaction or things for people to do while waiting, have you thought about doing something like ESPN The Streak? Not a huge fan of ESPN but The Streak is a blast and could help keep people intrigued.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:40 pm

This is what I was referring to near the end of my post. The system of promoting/demoting, which I believe your post also eluded to. Although I like this system, it can be tricky and detrimental for a league. If you have an owner sliding down, some might see it as a challenge but others will see it as a reason to quit. Now, this would just mean that a new prospect has a team to take over.

I think you have a pretty good core here, the majors, that could withstand this type of addition. The idea is that the major league is not messed with too often, other than bringing in new talent when needed and the minor league for everything else. Again, what you have going. If you guys decide to bring back the RWTC, hope I got that right, then that would be your farm system into the minors.

Also, if you are looking for more interaction or things for people to do while waiting, have you thought about doing something like ESPN The Streak? Not a huge fan of ESPN but The Streak is a blast and could help keep people intrigued.

I have zero idea what THE STREAK is?

As for the Minor League, we have it designed so folks can partake that are blatantly not at the activity level of our Big League and I'm fine with that so long as they meet the standards we set forth for the Minors so in this concept they would face being moved down and that shouldn't come as an insult or anything, it's merely the path they have chosen. Those with desire to move up always have everything they need to do so and could only get passed if they aren't honest with themselves.

Back to top Go down
Toontown Wolverines

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:56 pm

Like I said, I am game to go to the minors and work my way up. I am anxious to have a team, and start building so not keen on the thought of waiting for the dispersal drafts, but I guess if I have to wait I have to wait. Just stating my excitement to get going.

Back to top Go down
Manhattan Beach Militia

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:14 pm

New guys 2 cents.

"it ain't cocky motherfocker, if you back it up."

rock on rock on rock on

good post

Reading the rules if one of the most important parts of whether one wants to join or not. If someone joined without reading them, I believe it will show and they may end up leaving. Like many others, if we give it time, this may work itself out.

"Great things happen to those who wait."

Back to top Go down
Las Vegas Juggalos

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:24 pm

I have zero idea what THE STREAK is?

Pretty much you get a list of games to "bet" on every day. The idea is to see who can have the best winning streak, picking correct winners, by the end of the month. It happens to be free and you can win like 20 grand for having the best streak. You can actually choose which games you want to be a part of, no obligation that you bet every one. So you can pick one winner a day and have a streak of 30 or pick 20 games a day and have a streak of 4.

It is like mixing the survivor pool with the weekly picks.
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:36 pm

A lot to take in here but I agree with the sentiment that we don't rush to hand out teams and losing a few folks who can't stay engaged without a team probably isn't a bad thing

Back to top Go down
Latvia Unicorns

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:39 am

Agree with almost everything in Andy’s latest post.

I’m not 100% on the ladder format in a dynasty league, but always open to new ideas. I run a redraft pyramid system A, B1-B2, C1-C2-C3 leagues and it works perfectly (other than poor owners dropping out and messing up the numbers which is why it’s a pyramid and not a straight ladder).

Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:33 am

I didn't need to wait nearly as long as Russ did, or most of the others I think. I know I got lucky. That being said, while my post counts weren't as high before I had a team, I was here, and gave my 2cents where I could. It can be done, and I think most would agree it is worth the wait. We may not end up there yet, but I do see a point in the not too distant future here we have at least 12 minor league owners worthy of a "call up", and with continued expansion I think we could easily get to the point where there are 12-24 more people who could be added to the minor league (hell, we added 22 last year and I think 17 or so are still here and we have 5-7 new additions this year and the NFL playoffs are still going on). I like the idea of a ladder/relegation system based on participation because that is something you can almost always control.

All that blather to say, I'll support whatever decision is made, and even if for some reason you were to take my team away, I would still be here bothering you with my nonsense. I would also be willing to help out with whatever administratively I could with whatever system is put in place.

Back to top Go down
Latvia Unicorns

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:40 am

Charm City Justice wrote:

All that blather to say, I'll support whatever decision is made, and even if for some reason you were to take my team away, I would still be here bothering you with my nonsense.  I would also be willing to help out with whatever administratively I could with whatever system is put in place.

Well said. Anything for the greater good.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:32 am

haha. That image made me laughing

We'll see where things go but it all dovetails into what we're already working on around here. I'm adjusting to some changes outside of RW and looking to shed as much of the RW workload as possible while simultaneously loving every minute of this place and wanting to keep improving it. Nick (Tyrants) organizing the troops is a huge first step in that direction. We need to be organized. Those who have a role need to deliver on it without someone having to poke them with a stick. From there, we need to find a good fit for those who don't have a role or those needing a bit more of the workload.
The Minor League was a great step towards making room for added interest and assuring the Big League gets the best owners. I'm not feeling rushed to mass with it but as I outlined earlier I think it could be done differently to allow for whatever growth happens naturally while always funneling the right folks upwards. That's it. Our hair isn't on fire here. And this may very well be a crucial area of needed roles of our members so it can occur without piling on workload to those already waist deep.

As we have proven already, spreading the work out has made this place capable of so much more than even I thought we'd pull off. Can we improve on that? I'll bet on YES.

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:34 am

While I really like Sty's proposal I know some of the main league guys are a little intimidated by the skill shown by the minor league owners so that may be a ways off (yep just trying to start a little something here...LOL).

Seriously tho I like the idea of just waiting a month or so and seeing how things shake out. Think we should also be clear with all new recruits of the status of the league and owners. Then just give the open teams to the guys most deserving. Could have a redraft league for people that don't get a team and whoever else wants in to keep people engaged. If get a ton of interest could add another division to the minors but that seems like a lot of work for the administrative team.

I'm fine with whatever but would rather not have to auction against you guys again. LOL

Back to top Go down
Maple Grove Mean Machine

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:41 pm

If you want to be here, with the opportunity to prove yourself, you will prove yourself. Do we need to expand the Minors or the Majors? No, I don't think so. Fact of the matter is, I believe there will be turnover on a regular basis. People get burned out, people get ousted for one reason or another. At the end of the season, if there are going to be openings, email the owners whom are on the waiting list and gauge their interest on joining the Minors. If they don't want to due to situations that prohibit them from doing so, then they are out. I think that we can keep a master list somewhere where we can email them if there is going to be an opening and see if they are interested. If there is someone whom is on the waiting list and is obviously here on a regular basis and being active, I think those are the people we would want to tap first.

Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:46 pm

I want to go on record also as seconding the Southside Spartans in liking Sty’s proposal.

Back to top Go down
Alaska Arsenic

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:30 pm

Tarpon Springs RedKnights wrote:
I want to go on record also as seconding the Southside Spartans in liking Sty’s proposal.

Wait a tic. You want to go on record to second someone seconding your original post?

Holy shit. This is some high level politics. dizzy

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:34 pm

Alaska Arsenic wrote:

Wait a tic.  You want to go on record to second someone seconding your original post?

Holy shit.  This is some high level politics.  dizzy

Sty is a complex man with complex thoughts.  wink

Back to top Go down
Toontown Wolverines

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:34 pm

As a new guy to the league who is waiting to do a dispersal draft, I would just hope to have the draft before free agency starts in March.

Back to top Go down
Tenafly Vipers

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:34 pm

I like Andy's ideas. Thanks for laying all that out, commish.

Latvia Unicorns wrote:
Agree with almost everything in Andy’s latest post.

I’m not 100% on the ladder format in a dynasty league, but always open to new ideas. I run a redraft pyramid system A, B1-B2, C1-C2-C3 leagues and it works perfectly (other than poor owners dropping out and messing up the numbers which is why it’s a pyramid and not a straight ladder).

Can you explain a bit more about what that entails?

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:38 pm

Bit of a different note, but I think We should add “Where did you hear about Roster Wars?” as a question for intros in the Front Porch. Could probably make recruiting easier in the future if we see where we’re getting people from

Back to top Go down
Cyclone City Falcons

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:35 pm

I'm about an hour old here but I'll add to the discussion. As Chase stated earlier, us newbies have read the bylaws and we know what we're getting into (possibly waiting for a spot). I speak for myself here but as a commish in other leagues nothing is worse than filling openings with owners that leave, especially in dynasty. I'd much rather wait it out and find owners that are truly dedicated than bring guys in that don't know the time committment required to maintain a dynasty squad. I also understand that owners that could be ideal club members would lose interest after a while if not considered for inclusion in the minor leagues.

One of the things I do in my dynasty league is an NFL Playoff contest that I run through a google doc spreadsheet. It's pretty simple and easy for me to track as it's TD-only. I manually create all of the salary ranges and values for each player. Each team costs $10, you pick 5 players (1QB, 1DST, any 3 offensive players) with a salary cap and assign a team captain. All TDs are worth 6 points, except your team captain earns 7 points per TD.

Something like this could be done for the recruits that are waiting for a team. It doesn't have to be this type of game, even if it's a Survivor Pool or a Pick'Em game with the rest of the league (or separate). I'd have no problems running a game like my NFL Playoff Contest as it's easy and straightforward.

Back to top Go down
Polk High Panthers

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:43 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Alaska Arsenic wrote:

Wait a tic.  You want to go on record to second someone seconding your original post?

Holy shit.  This is some high level politics.  dizzy

Sty is a complex man with complex thoughts.  wink

I need to see a poem about Sty's complexities stat

Back to top Go down
Las Vegas Juggalos

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:08 pm

Or we can just settle everything like real men ...

Roshambo! Let's get a mad tournament going of this for those still waiting for teams.

Back to top Go down
Manhattan Beach Militia

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:22 pm

Or we can just settle everything like real men ...

Roshambo! Let's get a mad tournament going of this for those still waiting for teams.

Great suggestion. We can stream it live pay per view all the way. #roshambo

Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:00 pm

First year in majors with no turnover. I think that continuity is the most important thing to keep dynasty leagues running smoothly. Closely followed by making sure the asshats are exiled.

My thought would be to increase the expectations in minor league to match major league over several years and then just have a merge into 48 team major league.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   

Back to top Go down

Prospects thoughts
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Main RW Lobby-
Jump to: