:: I forgot my password

Share | 

Prospects thoughts

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:39 am

I emailed the Melbourne Pit Bulls guy to see if I could be any help to him getting in here with us.

I definitely want to do what I can to help with people not feeling overwhelmed when they arrive here. Everyone is different and it won't be an issue for some but I can totally understand that it will be for others.

Back to top Go down
Polk High Panthers

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:52 am

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Thanks for the feedback fellas.  Hmmm, what can we do to help new folks acclimate to the forum environment and not feel intimidated by the existing group?  

IMO they just gotta jump right in. The standards that are in place are all there for a reason. Yes it can be a lot to take in initially, and yes it can be overwhelming at first but if you want to be here then your going to make the effort to move past that. This isn't like every other league you are in, yes some things are going to be different and that is a good thing.

From my personal experience, I was overwhelmed with everything that goes on here at first. I don't know if some recall but I joined the prospect ranks in 2015 for a short time (Lone Star Chupa-man baby) and tried to make RW conform around what I wanted and expected and quickly let some stupid stuff drive me away. I was short sided in thinking that it was about me rather than the league that was built here and I missed out on being in this community for 2 years until Andy and I had a conversation and I luckily got the opportunity again to correct that wrong.

What was required of me the first year in the Minors wasn't much. Set a lineup, don't violate contract years, and pretty standard roster/league management stuff. In the Minors you get the opportunity to do as much or as little as you want (right now), it lets you get acclimated to the real RW and that is this community in the forums. The only thing I know that has changed was an increase from "0" required posts to "15", which IMO will only help that acclimation process cause your required to get involved just a little.

Once you start getting involved it's all uphill from there. There are tons of topics that folks can get comfortable with the league and our owners in. I came out of my shell after posting in the "3 words thread". I felt the fun and personal relationship with owners being built in there and then I started being more involved in the league after that. Everyone can find their "3 words thread", there is a crap ton of different options for everyone.

The "15" post minimum increases that flow. It will weed out some that we saw weren't willing to fully be what is RW.

To add something constructive as an option, maybe assign Minors or Main Leaguers that have shown that they can be successful in what we do here as mentors or a POC for new folks to reach out to on things. I know I had one and I didn't use him as much as I should have but just knowing if I had questions or comments/concerns I could reach out to him vice putting it on the forum for all to laugh was a good security blanket.

My 2 pennies

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:53 am

Polk High Panthers wrote:
Brian (Showboats) talked to me before he bowed out and his hangup was the "forum guy" thing.

I'm kind of surprised since his first post was sharing his vasectomy experience and making a joke about the size of his penis.

Back to top Go down
Polk High Panthers

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:56 am

Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:
Brian (Showboats) talked to me before he bowed out and his hangup was the "forum guy" thing.

I'm kind of surprised since his first post was sharing his vasectomy experience and making a joke about the size of his penis.

He knows how much I love it here and he wanted to be a part of it. I think that post was him trying, but in the end he thought it felt to "forced". It's too bad, he is an amazing owner and dude and I have no doubt he would not only love it here but would be an excellent asset to RW. But you never know my path to RW started with me trying it out and deciding it wasn't for me only for me to return 2 years later.

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:57 am

I came out of my shell after posting in the "3 words thread".

vote yes

Take that all you haters out there . . .

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:01 pm

vote yes

Yea!  And maybe if a new member has a question, we can "Answer a Question With A Question"?   shrug

Back to top Go down
Maplewood Doppelgangers

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:04 pm

vote yes

Preach!

Back to top Go down
Carolina Silverbacks

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:54 pm

vote yes

pay attention

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:50 pm

Just a couple of thoughts on the forum guy thing.  That definitely wasn't me and I still don't know if it is.  I think that I signed up here a good couple of months before I made my first post.  The one thing that really helped me was to tie myself to two teams.  I chose Sty and Justin and followed a lot of the threads as if I was a fan of those teams.  That really helped me get a better feel of a lot of the Wartime Press articles and to appreciate what we have here.  You could take the top posters from the various message boards and I'm not sure that they would be a good fit here.  It's more of getting to know each other better and to participate in meaningful discussions rather than what you see on a lot of boards.  There are a lot of solid contributors here that post under 100 times per month but they have quality posts and make this a better place.

http://rosterwars.forumotion.com/t5613-i-need-a-rw-team-to-root-for

Back to top Go down
Maplewood Doppelgangers

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:57 pm

I like that I now have a main league team to root for! GO BOMBERS!

Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:25 pm

I’m not sure I hit 30 posts for a few months either. I think the thing that got me involved more was the Bob stuff. I felt like I could get behind the club more, knowing the character of the members. I think we got spoiled by some of the new members who are so active quickly that we can forget that sometimes others will need some time to feel more comfortable. I am not sure there is anything specific or cookie cutter that can be done other than to have some patience. If after a few months people still don’t feeel comfortable jumping in and stepping up then they will stick out and come conversations can be had.

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:00 am

Charm City Justice wrote:
they will stick out and come conversations can be had.

What are come conversations?

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:46 am

If you know of someone that is active like we are, send em our way.  Warn them if they're not gonna bring it to not bother though.  High expectations for 2018.

It's tough because this place is so unique and not like any other that it's hard to gauge how even the biggest FF fanatic would fare in this environment.  Don't know if you recall but I was completely silent and never posted once during the entire first year of RWTC.  Never thought of myself as a "forum guy" and just watched what was going on here to see if it was something I could get involved with.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Ben took a similar approach.  So I guess what I'm saying is that it takes a little longer for some folks and they can't "jump right in" like others can even though they may be a good fit somewhere down the road.  Who knows - I may have never stepped up if I hadn't beaten Russ's ass and gained the confidence to start participating. laughing   Believe it or not, I even perused some of the older threads as part of my research and that may have helped as well. tongue

I always had faith in you coming around.

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:50 am

Indiana Mayhem wrote:
If you know of someone that is active like we are, send em our way.  Warn them if they're not gonna bring it to not bother though.  High expectations for 2018.

It's tough because this place is so unique and not like any other that it's hard to gauge how even the biggest FF fanatic would fare in this environment.  Don't know if you recall but I was completely silent and never posted once during the entire first year of RWTC.  Never thought of myself as a "forum guy" and just watched what was going on here to see if it was something I could get involved with.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Ben took a similar approach.  So I guess what I'm saying is that it takes a little longer for some folks and they can't "jump right in" like others can even though they may be a good fit somewhere down the road.  Who knows - I may have never stepped up if I hadn't beaten Russ's ass and gained the confidence to start participating. laughing   Believe it or not, I even perused some of the older threads as part of my research and that may have helped as well. tongue

You're the wind beneath my wings.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:53 am

Everyone has their own style and are ready when they are ready. Being a friend of the league to start and stay at that level for however long they feel necessary hurts no one.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:55 am

Indiana Mayhem wrote:

You're the wind beneath my wings.

You are silly.

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:00 am

Indiana Mayhem wrote:
You are silly.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:03 am

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:04 am

Maplewood Doppelgangers wrote:
I like that I now have a main league team to root for! GO BOMBERS!

My own fan club!

party4

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prospects thoughts   

Back to top Go down

Prospects thoughts
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Main RW Lobby-
Jump to: