:: I forgot my password
x

Share | 

Commissioners Quitting On Leagues

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:22 am

Over the last two weeks, I have had three commissioners say that they are folding up leagues. The main reason is they are too busy with extra things at work. This is really frustrating, especially when you really enjoy a league. Is anyone else seeing this in other leagues?

While I have never been a commissioner in fantasy football it is obvious to see that it takes alot of work, you take alot of shit, and you do it for the love of the league.

It amazes me that the norm isn't for commissioners to receive some sort of stipend or free entrance to the league for their efforts. Why should a commissioner not be compensated for the work that he or she does? At a minimum, free entrance to the league they run should be the norm.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:45 am

I haven't seen it in my other leagues, but being a commissioner is a ton of work in a dynasty league, at least in my other league. I can't even imagine the time that Andy puts in. In my local dynasty I do a crazy amount of work, but I love it.

Back to top Go down
Edinburgh Galacticos

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:33 am

Yeah I haven't had any quit yet, but I do commish 1 league and it is hard work. I do it for fun, but I can honestly see a lot of people who would it would help to make a bit on the side for their efforts and it wouldn't annoy me if they did (so long as it wasn't done in a sneaky way).

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:50 am

I just received messages that the guy that runs the Snooze leagues is stepping down.  Not really a big loss and probably the kick in the ass that I needed to move on from them.  

As for payment, I don't think that a commish should receive any.  I run my leagues because I like to know that everything is done right.  And when I look for leagues, I prefer leagues run by people like Andy, Carla, etc because I know that they do things the right way.  But it is a thankless job and does take a lot of time.  But I do it because I enjoy the game.  I run one league that's been going for more than 25 years now.  At least once every year or two someone talks about giving me a free or reduced team but I've always declined because it's not the right thing.  However, I have received tips and a few great bottles of scotch over the years from the winner but certainly don't expect anything.

Back to top Go down
Valhalla Viktors

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:10 am

I commish a league, and it can be really tough at times..Clearly what makes it worthwhile is when you have good owners who pay attention and take it serious. When that starts to falter, as a Commish, it can be hard to find the energy to keep putting into it when it's unappreciated.

Given the interaction in this league, i would suspect while it's a lot of work Andy, he enjoys doing it do given the level of involvement its generating.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:10 am

Uhh... Andy does get paid. I think he got like 0.06 cents that was leftover last year.

Back to top Go down
Valhalla Viktors

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:14 am

Back to top Go down
Polk High Panthers

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:17 am

I too am of the mindset that the commish shouldn't receive a stipend for the task. Unfortunately not every league out there is run by good commish's. This is definitely something I take into consideration when I join a league and is definitely something that makes me turn in my team at seasons end.

I know how much of a task it is to run a league and appreciate those that do it out there so when commish's go MIA or beat to the beat of their own drum it makes me step back and assess if the league is worth my time.

Its unfortunate to see leagues go, especially ones that you were building a juggernaut in. I know I have 2 this offseason that I will be looking at hard. 1 of them the guy just isnt cutting it as the commish and asked if I would take it over, so I would say that is a possibility maybe in a league that you are losing due to the commish calling it quits.

Back to top Go down
Valhalla Viktors

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:20 am

In a league like this, I honestly wouldn't be offended if the commish took a stip...there is a ton of work that goes into it. Now, if you're in a crappy league, etc. then hell no.

Back to top Go down
Maplewood Doppelgangers

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:20 am

My thinking is along thing same lines as Russ. Usually the commish is the creator or co-creator of the league. They are doing it for fun. But the amount of time and effort varies from league to league. I would have no problem paying Andy or Carla a small amount for the work they do. I'm in other leagues, that while fun, the commish doesn't do much aside from getting the draft and MFL page set up each year.

Back to top Go down
Carolina Silverbacks

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:38 am

I enjoy being a commissioner for the most part. I don't do it for a stipend/free entry. Never have and never will. I don't think it's a bad idea but just not the norm. I just do it so it's organized correctly and is fun.

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:08 am

I forgot that Andy is usually rewarded each year with high draft picks for his efforts.

Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:29 am

Naperville Divine wrote:
I forgot that Andy is usually rewarded each year with high draft picks for his efforts.

ROFL This had me busting up. Different situation this year though.

Back to top Go down
MobTown Ravens

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:07 am

I commish 8 leagues...all free, with the exception of one on RSO that has a small fee. Recruiting quality owners is the real challenge, as with the growth of prize base leagues, a free league is kind of seen as a step down by some.
I'm good with any commish getting the cost of what the mfl team fee divided among the league...then the commish just pays the league prize fee, if there is one.

Back to top Go down
http://www.gomariposa.org/
Hamilton Steel Cats

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:37 am

I'm firmly on the pay the commish side of town. This do it for free is bullshit IMO. With the hours involved, the accuracy needed. and dealing with 10, 12, 14 or 20 plus personalities even a free entry fee is a joke to me and grossly under paid. In my home town leagues we pay the guy approx a 1000 in a 10k pool. They are year round leagues.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:43 am

Hamilton Steel Cats wrote:
I'm firmly on the pay the commish side of town.  This do it for free is bullshit IMO.  With the hours involved, the accuracy needed. and dealing with 10, 12, 14 or 20 plus personalities even a free entry fee is a joke to me and grossly under paid.  In my home town leagues we pay the guy approx a 1000 in a 10k pool.  They are year round leagues.

I would love to commish your leagues.

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:36 pm

I agree. I would gladly pay for the commish's fees. I also think whoever wins the big money should give something to the commissioner. It is like giving a tip at a restaurant for good service, and I don't mean "Dont eat the yellow snow" as a tip.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:46 pm

Here is my 2 cents:

Russ and Ed do great jobs commishing in my opinion. Andy is in a league by himself. (that is a compliment just incase folks twist my words)

It is much easier when you have good owners, to be a good commish. I am sorry to hear some of your leagues might fold Craig, but I do understand their reasoning. I too am toying with how I will handle this season.

Things commishes do that some do not think about:

PAYOUTS THE WEEK OF CHRISTMAS/NEW YEARS
Requires begging people for their addresses (paypal or home address-get stamps, envelopes back to the post office a couple times to mail the batches you have) All the while
organize the excel sheet so you know how much Ben won in all leagues so you can pay him a bucket of money once. laughing Logging if they want to put money toward next year which is never just one league is it 4 or 5 different leagues at times. Some want some returned to them and kept on certain leagues. SO MUCH MUCH MUCH going on there.

Replacing owners (it is WORK, adverstising the opening, collecting money, new mini banners, communicating with the new guy, welcome thread, answering their questions, the more the better really cause you want them interested. Dispersal drafts if needed or appropriate, etc etc. etc)

Raising roster sizes after Christmas so owners have more room in the off season
Telling folks they havent met the IR removal time frame, sometimes 2nd reminders
Rule change discussions
Polling rule changes
Adjust bylaws with the rule changes

People do not read bylaws they just want to ask the Commish quick questions. Ok fine, but those are coming in from all directions at times. (off season easier to answer in season less time to answer)

BUY NEW GRAPHICS sometimes I wanna spruce up the sites (rarely does this expense come from anyone but the commish)

Asking people to pay as GOODS not friends on Paypal.....explaining to the dildos who dont wanna pay a fee why it has to be this way then they pay you wrong regardless. Refund them and have them repay. GOING TO LEAGUESAFE.....swear I AM!!!

Going to lose owners over it................DONT CARE, but dont wanna lose many owners. If I do I am folding the leagues that do cause I dont wanna find replacements and rinse and repeat finding new owners going through what I just mentioned above again.

Set a due date for 2018 payments FIND OWNERS who now do not meet those deadlines FIND NEW OWNERS for them......

Forget the rest we are not even to April 1 yet...................and I'm exhausted just writing this and want to stab myself in the eye.

BUT I DO COMMISH because I like it and know my league fees are safe and a crook isnt going to run off the pot of gold. I had 2 commishes do that to me..... I dont ask to be compensated, but if you gave me a donation I wouldnt turn it down.

Gotta go now...........someone just paid me for 2018 and I have record it LOL

Back to top Go down
Carolina Silverbacks

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:50 pm

I actually read that all. Preach!

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:55 pm

Carolina Silverbacks wrote:
I actually read that all.  Preach!

If I wouldnt of stopped you might not have LOL

Evil laugh

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:30 pm

I read all of that also. It kind of makes me sick to my stomach to see how much work really goes into things and that is just for one league. I couldn't imagine running several leagues.

I have so much respect for the commissioners who do a great job. Kudos to you all.

Back to top Go down
Maplewood Doppelgangers

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:44 pm

How many leagues do you actually run, Carla? It's gotta be at least 15!

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:44 pm

I felt every ounce of your frustration while reading that Carla... lol 2

I too love it but the time that goes into it is BONKERS and when people slow shit down or make it more difficult than it needs to be it can quickly push one to question why they do this shit again. I've been there several times. I feel like over the years I have gotten better about taking a break when I feel like I'm gonna snap and responding to jokers later when I'm calm. Hopefully I stay on that track.

Of course with RW, I could add some items to that list but I don't want to think about it. I'm tired from work.

I am kinda dreading one of the big ones which is fast approaching....PAYOUT day. It literally takes half to 3/4 of a day and that was before we had a minor league. Thank fuck the process we have here for that is good. I don't have to do the part you described about chasing inattentive bitches down for their info. SHit goes to your RW account and it's on you to ask for it.

@Craig...it sucks if your leagues have to fold because the commissioners are too busy. On one hand I absolutely get it as it can be a LOT...on the other I see most leagues as ridiculously easy to run when compared to what goes on here. For the basic leagues I also think it's sad when JUST ONE of the remaining 10-12 owners can't step up and do it when the alternative is the league is folding. It's the same reason I think Leaguesafe is a joke...because ONE person just has to hold the money and that isn't fuckin hard.....until you get where Carla is and you're holding money for many leagues and dealing with tards on both ends of handling the money.

Thanks to all who had something nice to say about me in this thread. I appreciate it very much! I believe I make less mistakes than I did in years past so that's something. Cool

Back to top Go down
Polk High Panthers

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:24 pm

Naperville Divine wrote:
I read all of that also.  It kind of makes me sick to my stomach to see how much work really goes into things and that is just for one league.  I couldn't imagine running several leagues.

I have so much respect for the commissioners who do a great job.  Kudos to you all.

Craig-a-rino... You just saw the difficult decision I had to lay out in FFPL... One of the things I love about the league besides the people is that the commish duty is a duty shared by all. Every 2 years your tenure is up and a new commish team takes on the task of running the league...

Brah, my tenure is up after this year.. You up for the nomination ?

Back to top Go down
Kansas City Kings

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:22 pm

Yeah no thanks to all of that. My hat is off to all of you that spend your time commishing leagues. Andy has been the most on the ball commish I have experienced in the few leagues I play. Thank you!

Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:45 am

I have been thinking abut dipping my toe into being a commish in one redraft league that is converting to Dynasty. I think mostly because I want it done right and while I am sure I will make mistakes along the way I know that having RW as a framework is as good a place to start as any. My other dynasty league's commish is good, but his job seems much simpler. We had one jackass owner a few years back, he got booted, and now everyone seems pretty chill. I do appreciate all that Andy does here very much.

Andy, if you need any help running the numbers for payouts, I'd be happy to help. Obviously all the actual payouts you would still have to do since you control the actual money, but I wouldn't mind preliminarily running all the numbers so you would just have to check my work and make sure I didn't fuck up as opposed to doing all the actual work yourself. Let me know.

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:27 pm

If I win this year, I am flying up to Minnesota and taking Andy out to dinner. It is a long shot, but you never know.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:43 pm

Naperville Divine wrote:
If I win this year, I am flying up to Minnesota and taking Andy out to dinner.  It is a long shot, but you never know.

laughing I'll tell Val to plan on cooking.

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:57 pm

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Naperville Divine wrote:
If I win this year, I am flying up to Minnesota and taking Andy out to dinner.  It is a long shot, but you never know.

laughing  I'll tell Val to plan on cooking.

Back to top Go down
Polk High Panthers

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:11 pm

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Naperville Divine wrote:

laughing  I'll tell Val to plan on cooking.

Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:31 pm

I don't think "quitting" is the right term. I'd guess that most are just burned out. Same as anything in life where you are "volunteering" to do work that you don't have to.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Commissioners Quitting On Leagues   

Back to top Go down

Commissioners Quitting On Leagues
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Free For All-
Jump to: