:: I forgot my password
x

Share | 

Playoff Preview - A Reflection

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:36 pm

Time to take a look back and see where my pre-season playoff comparisons match up with how things actually played out.  Obviously the NFL season is not over yet, but since we have the RW playoff teams all set (barring stat correction miracles) we should have enough information to see how bad I did.  Without further ado:

DASTARDLY DOZEN
Roster Wars TeamPreseason NFL Team How'd I do?
CHAPTER 1
Way to start off with a bang.  Holy crap did I miss the mark here.  In my defense I correctly thought the Eternals would be good, I just did not realize the Giants would suck so bad.
Comparison ended up being spot on, but I was wrong about both teams expected performance.  Just pay attention to the first part of that sentence and ignore the second part.  
Redknights were good and made the playoffs.  Bucs are bad and will not make the playoffs.  Apparently the Bucs make for a better fantasy team than actual football team.  
I underestimated the Saints, but I underestimated the Dragons more.  It's not like I said either team would be bad, but in hindsight the Dragons probably deserve better.
CHAPTER 2
Nailed this one.  Thought both teams may regress, and they did.  It's about time I got something right.
Nailed this one too, just so long as you don't go back and look at the rationale as to why I picked them.  Both teams have seemingly come from out of nowhere to be serious contenders.
Houston disappointed and the only person disappointed in the Silverballers performance seems to be their owner.  Littleton deserved better than the comparison they got at the beginning of the year.  
I was wrong about the potential for the 49ers this year.  They stunk against everyone except the Giants.  Sorry Ian, you got sold short here.
CHAPTER 3
Detroit haven't exactly been world beaters this year and their performance has been pretty disappointing but not nearly as disappointing as what happened in Muskego this year.  So much for finding any of that respect they were craving.
A 3 game win streak towards the end of the year for the Degenitals moves them well ahead of the initial Browns comparison.  I said neither team would be the worst this year and I was right about the Degenitals but for some reason I was believing some of the hype coming out of Cleveland.  Sorry Rob.
Whoops.  The Cardinals have been extremely disappointing this year and the Mayhem have looked pretty damn good.  Missed bad on this one.
I think I did pretty well here.  The Ravens are technically the #6 seed right now and the Malosos just missed as the #7 seed.  I am going to call this one a win.

TERRIBLE TWELVE
Roster Wars Team NFL Team Rationale
CHAPTER 4
Records are similar, the Divine sneaked into the playoffs at the end of the year and the Chiefs seem hell-bent on giving away their playoff spot that seemed inevitable earlier in the year.  This one may still end up being alright, but my guess is the Divine end up being a better team than the Chiefs when all is said and done.
I think this was pretty good, particularly when you compare it to some of my other ones.  Both teams under performed slightly based on the way I was talking about them to start the year, but both are still playoff teams at this moment.  
I think that when Russ saw this comparison at the beginning of the year he said he was hoping for better than Jacksonville.  Shows that I am not the only one who didn't think much of the Jags coming into this season.  The Brawlers improved on last year, but not as much as Jacksonville has.
The Bombers got in as the sixth seed but were actually the highest scoring team in the TT.  In that sense the Eagles don't look like a bad comparison, however I would still tend to say that this comparison wasn't all that great based on record and the fact that the Eagles look like the clear cut best team in the NFC right now.
CHAPTER 5
No easy way to put this, the Vikings have been crushing it and the Mean Machine have not.  I missed the mark here, no pun intended.
The Jets have won 4 games and looked competitive.  The Nightmare had one fantastic week and that's about it.  I underestimated the Jets here.
The Patriots are probably the favorite to win the Super Bowl and the Steelcats are the #2 seed in the TT.  Neither team has been as dominant as expected, but both were good.  I give myself a solid B- on this one.
Yeah, um, not good on my part.  The Knights are the #1 seed in the TT and the Dolphins are bad.  Apologies owed to the Knights and Joe.
CHAPTER 6
Crushed this one.  The Golddiggers ended up taking Chapter 6 on the final day of the regular season and the Titans currently hold a slim lead in the AFC South.  
Two in a row, go me!  The Redskins are in the middle of a mediocre division and the Oysters finished in the middle of a mediocre division.  I'll take it.
Looking decent right now, but if the Chargers keep doing what they have been doing lately and the Chiefs keep losing, the Chargers probably find their way into the playoffs while the Justice choked away the chapter in the final weeks.
I will call this one a win as well.  Neither team ended up making a serious run at the playoffs and both had good weeks and bad weeks to end up somewhere in the middle.

Well there you have it.  Overall it looks like I shouldn't leave my day job and become a fantasy sports handicapper because I think I missed on more than I hit, but it was still fun throughout the year.  Congrats to those teams that made the playoffs and good luck to everyone the rest of the way!

Last edited by Charm City Justice on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:41 pm

Well done, I loved this feature!

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:49 pm

Nice recap.  Interesting to see how things played out with the benefit of hindsight.

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:50 pm

This article has been top notch all season. I'll gladly take being linked with the Rams at this time of the season. Maybe not so much at the start of the season. laughing But your rationale is dead on, we both exceeded season expectations. vote yes

Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:53 pm

Start the season as the Texans  sick

Don't get me wrong.  I'm glad how good my team did this year....  I'm just upset my offense let me down the first part of the year and my defense was sooo average.

Anyway, thanks for doing this Bill

Back to top Go down
Maplewood Doppelgangers

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:53 pm

Great article! You were pretty close on a lot of these!

Back to top Go down
Riverside Rottweilers

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:03 pm

Great work Bill

Back to top Go down
Tenafly Vipers

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:36 pm

Nice!

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:42 pm

Back to top Go down
North Wales Knights

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:29 pm

Thanks Bill. Loved the concept and all the articles, especially this recap. Well done!

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:22 pm

Great article. What a complete insult to the Jets by lining them up with the Nightmare. It should have been the Browns.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Just having the ability to remember shit enough to write this article is impressive to me. Comparing the Eternals to almost any team would have been insulting so I won't hold it against ya. Like Eli, we have never been given the respect we deserve. Nobody thought shit of us and yet here we are despite losing seemingly every great player we had from the word GO and even now those allowed to pick an opponent aren't picking us.

The words cut but the quiet respect we get speaks volumes. We have nothing to lose and we're here to chew gum and fuck some people up...and we didn't even bother buying some gum.

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:56 pm

Great work man. Really enjoyed this series. Hope it comes back next year!

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:16 pm

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:46 pm

Philadelphia Pigskins wrote:
Great work man.  Really enjoyed this series.  Hope it comes back next year!

agree

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:49 pm

Kane County Goon Squad wrote:
Philadelphia Pigskins wrote:
Great work man.  Really enjoyed this series.  Hope it comes back next year!

agree

Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:14 pm

Great finale!

Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:15 pm

Wow great article so cool to see the early predictions! ThanksBill

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:51 pm

Great read Bill - well done.

And I like the Saints so happy with that!

clap

Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:13 am

Fun article, with an interesting take...much appreciated Bill! vote yes

Back to top Go down
Hamilton Steel Cats

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:41 am

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Just having the ability to remember shit enough to write this article is impressive to me.  Comparing the Eternals to almost any team would have been insulting so I won't hold it against ya.  Like Eli, we have never been given the respect we deserve.  Nobody thought shit of us and yet here we are despite losing seemingly every great player we had from the word GO and even now those allowed to pick an opponent aren't picking us.

The words cut but the quiet respect we get speaks volumes.  We have nothing to lose and we're here to chew gum and fuck some people up...and we didn't even bother buying some gum.

Andy, did you ever get around to watching this movie.  I sent you some sort of online link to it years ago when this movie was in some sort of convo/topic.

Bill, thanks for the write up. Nicely put together as usual.

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:04 pm

Great read all season

No need to apologize since last time you said the future looks bright for us vote yes

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:11 pm

Hamilton Steel Cats wrote:
Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Just having the ability to remember shit enough to write this article is impressive to me.  Comparing the Eternals to almost any team would have been insulting so I won't hold it against ya.  Like Eli, we have never been given the respect we deserve.  Nobody thought shit of us and yet here we are despite losing seemingly every great player we had from the word GO and even now those allowed to pick an opponent aren't picking us.

The words cut but the quiet respect we get speaks volumes.  We have nothing to lose and we're here to chew gum and fuck some people up...and we didn't even bother buying some gum.

Andy, did you ever get around to watching this movie.  I sent you some sort of online link to it years ago when this movie was in some sort of convo/topic.

Bill, thanks for the write up.  Nicely put together as usual.

I have seen the movie but I don't recall the conversation.

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:31 pm

They Live. Great movie. Roddy Piper rest in peace.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:07 pm

Really really really like the looking back moments. Takes guts. You got em!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Playoff Preview - A Reflection   

Back to top Go down

Playoff Preview - A Reflection
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Articles-
Jump to: