:: I forgot my password
x

Share | 

Jury Duty

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:39 am

Anyone ever serve on a jury before?  I just served on a jury in a criminal case - Attempted Murder and Felony Firearm.  Extremely gut-wrenching and emotional.  Don't know if I would ever want to do it again.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:53 am

Yes and I loved it.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:12 pm

Had to do it when I was 18. It was a malpractice suit, and I hated the outcome. I disagreed, but the way the questions were worded you had to answer one way. Not a fan. Plus the 50 cents they pay you a day is awesome.

Back to top Go down
Kansas City Kings

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:19 pm

I wish. I have been called in 4 times and never selected.

I have literally googled how to increase my chances of being selected for jury duty and I still can't get a spot lol.

BNSF will pay you the time you miss work for jury duty. I would just really like to have the experience and see the legal system in action.

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:30 pm

Kansas City Kings wrote:
I would just really like to have the experience and see the legal system in action.

Enjoyed it from that aspect but didn't like the circumstances of the particular case.  Racially motivated road rage where both parties could have avoided the confrontation (both had license to carry concealed weapons).  Difficult case to deliberate.

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Plus the 50 cents they pay you a day is awesome.

Up to $30 now.  vote yes

Back to top Go down
Kansas City Kings

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:33 pm

Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:
Kansas City Kings wrote:
I would just really like to have the experience and see the legal system in action.

Enjoyed it from that aspect but didn't like the circumstances of the particular case.  Racially motivated road rage where both parties could have avoided the confrontation (both had license to carry concealed weapons).  Difficult case to deliberate.

Yeah that sounds like a gross situation, would be hard to be impartial.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:44 pm

Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:
Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Plus the 50 cents they pay you a day is awesome.

Up to $30 now.  vote yes

Exactly. Terrible. I was on for a week.

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:47 pm

I've gotten the letter being selected to a jury pool, but have never been selected.  Like Mitch, I would like to serve and watch the legal system in action.

As a small business owner, I have been taken to small claims court 3 times.  No lawyers, no jury.  You do sit in the court room during your session as the pool of lawsuits get heard.  That's is interesting to watch the plaintiff/defendant and judge work thru a case.  You actually learn some stuff watching the judge interact with the plaintiff/defendant.  Luckily for me, I have a perfect 3-0 record in my circumstances.  excited dance

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:02 pm

Nevada NightHawks wrote:
I've gotten the letter being selected to a jury pool, but have never been selected.  Like Mitch, I would like to serve and watch the legal system in action.

As a small business owner, I have been taken to small claims court 3 times.  No lawyers, no jury.  You do sit in the court room during your session as the pool of lawsuits get heard.  That's is interesting to watch the plaintiff/defendant and judge work thru a case.  You actually learn some stuff watching the judge interact with the plaintiff/defendant.  Luckily for me, I have a perfect 3-0 record in my circumstances.  excited dance

Court is a lot like fantasy. You win some, you lose some, and it is a matter of what you trade and what you get in return.  laughing

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:11 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Nevada NightHawks wrote:

Court is a lot like fantasy. You win some, you lose some, and it is a matter of what you trade and what you get in return.  laughing

ROFL Let's just say, I traded away all my future picks to win now. vote yes

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:46 pm

Um, so what was the verdict?  Didn't see that anywhere.  

I'd really like to serve on a jury but haven't had a chance to do so yet.  I was empaneled for a few days but was taken off when the attorneys got their peremptory challenges.  The worst part is that I got $16 a day to sit but parking was $25 a day.

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:48 pm

Bergen Brawlers wrote:

I'd really like to serve on a jury but haven't had a chance to do so yet.  I was empaneled for a few days but was taken off when the attorneys got their peremptory challenges.  The worst part is that I got $16 a day to sit but parking was $25 a day.
mock

Evil laughEvil laughEvil laugh

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:56 pm

They let Lawyers on Jury Duty?

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:01 pm

Bergen Brawlers wrote:

Attempted Murder - Not Guilty
Felony Firearm - Guilty

It was evident that both parties were lying about what was said to each other and what actually happened.  It came down to the fact that the prosecution hadn't met their burden beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant had no reason to believe that his life was in imminent danger.  But the fact that the defendant continued to riddle the victim's car with bullets after he drove away and the threat was eliminated prompted the guilty verdict on the second charge.

On a bright note, I was able to park for free.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:18 pm

I would do anything to not be involved with that shit. I'm pretty confident even if they find me that nobody will make the mistake of putting me on a jury. I consider the entire system dirty and want nothing to do with it. I'll start by declaring that I find the judge guilty.

Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:22 pm

I haven't. I actually haven't been called since I moved into my new house about 7 years ago. I keep waiting for the sheriff to show up at my door and tell me I have a warrant for my arrest for evading jury duty.
Even if I got called, no chance any prosecutor would ever let me on a jury. I interned for the Office of the Public Defender and they view social workers as bleeding heart liberals always willing to give people second chances. I don't think I fit either of those qualities, but I doubt anyone would ever take a chance on me and if I ever made it into the box they would use a peremptory challenge.

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:59 pm

I've been called twice but never made it out of the jury selection room.

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:06 pm

I think I got a notice once but moved and didn't have to go (I hope)

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:19 pm

Kane County Goon Squad wrote:
I think I got a notice once but moved and didn't have to go (I hope)

I think & I hope. ROFL I see a Go Fund me page for your bail sometime in the future.  laughing

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:11 pm

Russ or Bill...any insight on what could get one out of the process entirely right away if one were called upon? I feel like if I state that I feel everyone involved in the system is a criminal (you two excluded of course) they couldn't possibly want me around. Am I right?

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:34 pm

A lot of it depends on the particular venue -- some are a lot tougher than others. The one key thing to remember is that the Judge doesn't want to be the Judge who has to call in another slate of potential jurors if the initial group can't field a full jury.  So they will resist most attempts to get off the jury.

The one situation where you will always be excused is if you are a caregiver for someone.  If you are a stay-at-home mom or take care of a disabled adult you will most likely be excused.  Or if you run a one or two person business and your absence would jeopardize the business.  

There may be also something about the case that would disqualify you.  For example, in a criminal case you might be able to get off if you were the victim of a crime.  But they'll usually see through most efforts.  The one where I was empaneled was a discrimination case against a correctional facility.  I advised that I had a similar case and we represented the employer -- not enough.  I also noted that I could not ignore my prior experiences and knowledge of the law if I was told something by an attorney that I did not believe to be correct -- not enough.  I then noted that my sister was married to a secret service agent -- not enough.   I then noted my workload -- not enough.  Finally I noted that I knew another person in the jury pool -- not enough even after she was empaneled (initially selected) as well.  So I had to wait for the peremptories, i.e. attorney challenges.

You'll find that the initial situation is a series of questions to eliminate those that cannot serve -- for example, if you know a party or a key witness.  This is done to the group at large.  Then you get called individually and the Judge asks questions (i.e. my examples above).  After you have a full slate of jurors, the attorneys get to use peremptory challenges -- which is basically a challenge where you don't have to give any reason.  That is the stage where most reasonable people have a shot at getting off the jury.

The last thing that an attorney wants is someone that they think may be against their cause who will be a forceful presence in the jury room, someone who could be jury foreman.  So be forceful, look everyone in the eyes and be confident in your answers.  But highlight (subtly) issues which may be of concern.  Maybe its religion, profession, political beliefs, etc. which you hold strongly and which may influence how you'll vote.  And sound educated and attentive.  The attorney with the bad case will most likely ask to have you removed.  In my jury, I was the first to be removed by a peremptory.  And then the girl that I knew was the second.  

Remember that the attorneys are paying attention to your body language, your demeanor, and your attitude.  Or at least good ones.  So the more focused you are, the less likely one attorney is to having you on the jury.

And prepaid vacations are always a help, although not always.  The Menendez trial in Jersey had to bring in a new juror because one had to leave for a vacation. That possibly greatly influenced the end result of the trial.  There, her vacation was several weeks after the trial was supposed to end.  But if you have a vacation the next few weeks, you may have a shot.  

You should also ask (before going to a courtroom) about the policy of not getting called back.  In Jersey I think that the rule is that you don't have to come back for several years if you actually make it into a group that goes to a courtroom.  Those that just sat around waiting to be called but never were ended up getting tossed back in the pool.

Some hints -- bring a computer or iPad.  Most courthouses have public wifi so you can do work while waiting to go to a courtroom.  Until that happens you're basically sitting in a cafeteria or a room with nothing to do.  And bring some Cliff bars or other snack and a bottle of water or two.  

Also, check with your employer on their jury duty policy.  Some are very friendly, others are not.  In my case, as a lawyer, we cannot say that we are against it.  But I knew that I would be working late nights and on weekends if I served so that I could make up work that I missed.  Some employers also ask that you give them the check that you receive and, in exchange, they'll keep paying you.

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:45 pm

Does that answer your question Andy?  Shocked laughing

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:47 pm

Nevada NightHawks wrote:
Does that answer your question Andy?  Shocked laughing

TLDR - stress the MFG aspect and how you rely on that income to support your family.  And just show that you're a smart, opinionated person.

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:45 pm

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
any insight on what could get one out of the process entirely right away if one were called upon?

If you act mentally ill and give the worst answers to questions asked should do the trick.  The guy next to me was either a genius to know exactly the wrong thing to say in order to be removed or was really mentally ill.  The judge asked if he would be able to follow instructions given to him and he said no, he has extreme difficulty following instructions.  When asked if he had any problem with law enforcement or the legal process in general, he said he did and was concerned how many African Americans had been selected for the jury.  He also stated that he didn't think he would be able to get up by 8:00  in the morning to be in court on time.  The judge asked him if he had ever seen the movie The Big Lebowski because that's who he reminded him of.  He was the first dismissed.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:21 am

Thanks Russ. Ed you're describing what I figured would work and about how I would have handled it.

There are various things that certain people get out of for religious reasons and IMO if that shit flies then I should be allowed to never serve on a jury in a corrupt fucking system I don't believe in. Russ says I should just look everyone in the eyes and be my usual forceful self and tell each and every one of them why they should go fuck themselves.

Does anyone know how ones name is entered into the pool? Is it just a social security number thing or is there more to it?

Back to top Go down
Andromeda Afterglow

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:11 am

Just got jury duty for the third time... I've heard it's mostly based on SS

Back to top Go down
Kansas City Kings

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:14 am

Does anyone know how ones name is entered into the pool?  Is it just a social security number thing or is there more to it?

I am pretty sure being a registered voter gets your name thrown into the hat.

Back to top Go down
Kansas City Kings

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:16 am

I don't think you even have to actually vote to be in the pool the draw from, just being registered does it.

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:31 am

Does anyone know how ones name is entered into the pool?  Is it just a social security number thing or is there more to it?

When the judge came into our deliberation room to address us when the trial was over, someone asked him if it was voter registration records where people were drawn from.  He said it used to be but they changed it to your drivers license.  Don't know if that is the case everywhere but it is here in Michigan.

Back to top Go down
Polk High Panthers

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:16 am

I've never received the notice to be on jury duty but I am hoping the day that I do that Andy is there with me.

Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:05 am

Thanks Russ.  Ed you're describing what I figured would work and about how I would have handled it.

There are various things that certain people get out of for religious reasons and IMO if that shit flies then I should be allowed to never serve on a jury in a corrupt fucking system I don't believe in.  Russ says I should just look everyone in the eyes and be my usual forceful self and tell each and every one of them why they should go fuck themselves.

In Maryland, it is the motor and voter rolls so if you have a driver's license (or state ID card) or you are registered to vote your name goes into the pool. How frequently people get called is based in large part on the number of jury trials that occur in that jurisdiction. Again, at least in Maryland, Baltimore City has more jury trials than any other district, but probably also has issues with the proportion of its population that cannot serve on a jury (convicted felon, victim of crime, etc.), so I would imagine those that live in Baltimore City get called a lot more frequently than those who live in farm country.

One of the attorneys who works in my courthouse said she has jury duty today when I was chatting with her yesterday. The lawyers then started talking about how they all wanted to serve on a jury but would never be able to because of their perceived bias. I am guessing it would be an interesting perspective shift for many of them, but since it will never happen we will never know.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:38 am

Let us hope that minnesota doesn't go by drivers licenses. Not a registered voter for similar reasons. Thanks for the info folks.

Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:48 am

Often called upon...NEVER chosen. vote yes

Back to top Go down
Maplewood Doppelgangers

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:16 am

Never been called upon, but I hope it happens at some point!

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jury Duty   

Back to top Go down

Jury Duty
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Free For All-