:: I forgot my password
x

Share | 

Still Way Too Early Playoff Preview

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Still Way Too Early Playoff Preview   Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:13 am

Well, we are a quarter of the way through the RW regular season, so time to see where my picks are already wrong and to update RW teams' NFL comparisons.  I will start with the Dastardly Dozen, but first a disclaimer:  I think I got the playoff seeds correct, but feel free to point out if I messed them up.  It won't be that hard of a fix.
Ok, so now here are the playoff seeds, if they were to start today:

MAIN BRACKET
#1 Seed - England Dragons (Chapter Winner, Best Record, Most Points Scored)
#2 Seed - Minnesota Eternals (Best Record, Second Most Points Scored)
#3 Seed - Littleton Silverballers (Chapter Winner, Best Record, Third Most Points Scored)
#4 Seed - Indiana Mayhem (Chapter Winner, Second Best  Record, Most Points Scored)
#5 Seed - Whiskey Creek Gadabouts (Second Best Record, Second Most Points Scored)
#6 Seed - Titletown Tyrants (Best Remaining All Play Record)

REMAINING TEAMS
Atlanta Africans - 4.98 points behind Gadabouts (Best Record)
Tarpon Springs Redknights - Four games behind Tyrants in All Play Record (Second Best Record, Most Points Scored)
Oaktown Malosos - One game behind Tyrants in All Play Record (Second Best Record, Second Most Points Scored)
Nevada Nighthawks - One game and 154.88 points behind Gadabouts (Second Best Record, Least Amount of Points Scored)
Dos Faces Degenitals - Two games and 76.88 points behind Gadabouts (Worst Record, Most Points Scored)
Muskego Muskies - Two games and 109.88 behind Gadabouts (Worst Record, Least Points Scored)

And now for the table you have all been waiting for:

DASTARDLY DOZEN
Roster Wars TeamNFL Team Rationale
CHAPTER 1
Not a great way to start off with my predictions.  I was wrong, very wrong on the Dragons so far.  So much for being past their prime.  Best all play record in RW, check.  Most points scored in RW, check.  Undefeated, check.  Their chapters/division are still ridiculous though, so the Dragons and Chiefs better not let their foot off the gas because there are plenty of teams nipping at their heels.
My sincerest apologies to the Eternals for their preseason comparison.  The Giants suck this year and the Eternals obviously do not.  Dominant teams who are somehow second place in their own chapters (seriously, look it up, the Bills are in first place in the AFC East as of this very moment and the Patriots are actually the #7 seed and on the outside looking in when it comes to playoff seeding), the question at this point is probably not whether or not the Eternals and Patriots make the playoffs, but what their seed will be.
Finally, a comparison that was not completely wrong.  I will actually stick with the Bucs as the NFL team here.  A team currently on the outside looking in, but close enough that they should not be written off yet and very well may end up with a decent playoff seed.
Time to make Nick happy I guess.  The Tyrants are currently holding on to the final playoff spot by the skin of their teeth in an extremely tough chapter and conference.  Even though the Packers are currently on the outside looking in, not many people expect them to stay there.  However, some quality opponents within their own chapter could spell disaster if they are not careful.  This is another spot where the initial comparison was not awful.
CHAPTER 2
Hey look, I was wrong again. The Silverballers are obviously outperforming the Texans, so lets upgrade them to the Steelers.  Sure Big Ben and company lost to Chicago this weekend, but that is probably just an anomaly.  The Steelers look like the class of their division, and the Silverballers look like the class of their chapter.
Both teams are currently in playoff position, but can you honestly feel good about it?  The Gadabouts have a pretty bad all play record and are 8th in their conference in points scored but are currently in playoff position.  The Ravens just looked bad in London, but again are somehow in playoff position.  I would venture a guess that neither of these teams actually make the playoffs when all is said and done.  Denver wasn't a bad initial comparison but I think the Broncos are currently outperforming the Gadabouts.
Just on the outside of the playoffs and looking in, the Africans and the Panthers seem like an ok comparison.  Neither team really has all that much of a shot at their division/chapter and I would not be shocked if either falls out of playoff discussion sooner rather than later. This comparison is quite the upgrade as the 49ers are worse than expected and the Africans are performing better than preseason expectations.
Sure both teams have a win, but neither looks really good at all and neither should sniff the playoffs this year.  The Nighthawks have actually scored 40 fewer points than anyone else in their conference and may be counting their lucky stars for that win at the end of the year when pink is handed out.  Of course the Bears may actually be mad they pulled out that win when it comes to draft pick time.  The Rams may have made sense at the beginning of the year, but they have exceeded expectations and the Nighthawks have not.
CHAPTER 3
No defaults here, the Mayhem lead their chapter like the Titans.  This may not be the most powerful chapter in RW and the AFC South is probably not the most powerful division in the NFL, but that does not mean their leaders shouldn't be given some respect.  I expect both teams to make the playoffs pretty comfortably and keep chugging along.  The Cardinals are under performing so this is a comparison upgrade.
A strong start for the Malosos in terms of points scored and All Play Record has only translated into one win.  They are however, just outside of the playoffs as of this writing (like the Vikings) but may have a hard time staying this close as the season progresses.  The preseason comparison (Ravens) was pretty close on this one.
The 49ers and Degenitals both look pretty bad this year, maybe not the worst, but pretty bad.  At least Rob can always fall back on his singing career if this thing in RW doesn't work out.  Not sure if this is an upgrade or a downgrade from the preseason Browns comparison, but another spot where preseason accuracy doesn't look bad just yet.
So much for earning respect.  This is not the start of the season the Muskies or Giants were looking for.  Sure it is possible either team could turn it around, but highly unlikely.  I expect a few wins for both teams at some point, but probably nothing to get too excited about.  This time I owe an apology to the Lions as they are clearly outperforming the Muskies at this juncture.

Now, on to the Terrible Twelve:
Here are the playoff seeds, if they were to start today:

MAIN BRACKET
#1 Seed - San Francisco Golddiggers (Chapter Winner, Best Record)
#2 Seed - Hamilton Steelcats (Chapter Winner, Second Best Record, Most Points Scored)
#3 Seed - Philadelphia Pigskins (Chapter Winner, Second Best Record, Second Most Points Scored)
#4 Seed - Naperville Divine (Second Best Record, Third Most Points Scored)
#5 Seed - Maple Grove Mean Machine (Second Best Record, Fourth Most Points Scored)
#6 Seed - Charm City Justice (Best Remaining All Play Record)

REMAINING TEAMS
Bergen Brawlers - 5.44 points behind Mean Machine or 9 games behind Justice All Play Record (Best Record, Most Points Scored)
North Wales Knights - 56.7 points behind Mean Machine (Best Record, Second Most Points Scored)
Kane County Goon Squad - One game and 72.48 points behind Mean Machine (Second Best Record, Most Points Scored)
Rocky Mountain Oysters - One game and 144.98 points behind Mean Machine (Second Best Record, Least Amount of Points Scored)
Norfolk Bombers - 12 games behind Justice All Play Record or 2 games and .08 points behind Mean Machine (Worst Record, Most Points Scored)
California Nightmare - Two games and 193.06 points behind Mean Machine (Worst Record, Least Points Scored)

And the final table:

TERRIBLE TWELVE
Roster Wars Team NFL Team Rationale
CHAPTER 4
Alright, bear with me here.  I am not thrilled with this comparison, but the next best option I could come up with is the Cowboys and I didn't want to piss off Matt that much.  Oakland is probably a lot better than they looked in Washington and is looking good for the playoffs.  The Pigskins are probably in a better position overall than Oakland, but its the best I could do.  The Falcons were not a bad preseason pick, but they are reserved for another team later on in the standings.
The Divine are sitting in playoff position, but are probably the second best team in their chapter and likely need a wild card spot to get into the playoffs.  I think that probably describes the Lions as well, even if they are technically ahead of the Packers at this very moment.  The Chiefs look better than the Divine so far this year, but the comparison was again not way off.
Of course when I picked the Jags as the preseason comparison I expected both teams to be 2-1 with legitimate playoff possibilities.  With upcoming games against the Nightmare/Jets both teams should move to 3-1 and be right in the thick of things.
The Bombers get downgraded from the Eagles to the Chargers.  I don't think either the Bombers or the Chargers are as bad as their record indicates, but coming back from an 0-3 start is going to be really difficult if they want to make the playoffs.
CHAPTER 5
So neither the Steelcats nor their preseason comparison of the Patriots are undefeated, but I already used the Patriots so I am left with the Falcons here.  Both teams have looked good and should have absolutely no worries about making the playoffs.
The Mean Machine/Vikings comparison at the beginning of the year is actually looking pretty good.  Since the Vikings have already been used though, I will make the switch to the Redskins.  Both the Mean Machine and Redskins are currently in playoff position, but I am not sold just yet.  Maybe both teams will continue to prove me wrong.
I will stick with the Dolphins here.  I don't think either team really looks playoff worthy, but they can't be written off just yet.
The Jets won.  The Nightmare have not.  I guess this means they are downgraded to the Browns?  I honestly do not expect the Browns to be the worst team in the NFL again, but what do I know.  Don't be surprised to see the NYJ end up back here in the comparison slot later on down the line.
CHAPTER 6
Um, I guess this is an upgrade over the preseason Titans.  I don't know.  I am seriously running out of comparisons here.  Note to self, next time start with the Terrible Twelve.  Anyway, the Golddiggers are currently the #1 seed in the TT with the best record, second most points, and tied for the best all play record.  Even though the Cowboys looked flat last week in Denver, they rebounded to beat a Cardinals team that was supposed to contend.  Playoffs are looking likely for the Cowboys and with a 2 game lead already in their chapter, the Golddiggers may very well be able to coast in easily as well.
I seriously just threw up in my mouth comparing myself to the Eagles.  The comparison makes sense somewhat though.  The Eagles are in playoff position and the Justice look to be the victim of some early season bad luck with a good all play record and a pretty good number of points scored.  This is a comparison upgrade as the Chargers have fallen flat so far this year.
Eric's response to the initial Bengals comparison was that he didn't think the Bengals were that bad.  Well, they are bad, and so far, this year so are the Goon Squad, so I will stick with the comparison for now.  I think both teams have a chance to wind up better than they have looked so far this year though.
Alright, one more apology owed, this time to the Redskins.  That comparison is not looking good right now, although I am guessing the Oysters wish it was.  The Oysters have fallen flat in their inaugural season in RW, but they do have a win, just like the Jets.

Last edited by Charm City Justice on Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Still Way Too Early Playoff Preview   Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:21 am

I was wrong -  shrug

Hopefully you are right -  pray

Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers

PostSubject: Re: Still Way Too Early Playoff Preview   Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:22 am

Love the write up Bill!

I'm ok with being compared to the Steelers. I just need to stop benching Demario Davis and play him every week!!!

Back to top Go down
Hamilton Steel Cats

PostSubject: Re: Still Way Too Early Playoff Preview   Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:42 am

Bill,

Your formatting is EXCELLENT! (RW Logos and NFL Logos side by side lookin' good)
Your use of enlarged font is GREATLY appreciated.  (I'm at a point where reading has become difficult, words tend to blur together unless i'm wearing reading glasses.)

Your comparisons are PRETTY good. (I'll ride with the Birds)

Overall look is ROCK SOLID!

Well Done, man.

thumbsup thumbsup  ... two thumbs up.

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Still Way Too Early Playoff Preview   Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:57 am

Bill, I love the way you present this article with the team logos.  I do a quick scan to see who everybody is compared too, and then scroll back up to read the article.  I'd like to argue about my placement with the Bears, but how can I?   shrug  I even think the NightHawks head coach is on the hot seat like John Fox, so I accept my placement.   The best part about the article, it makes me feel like I'm still in the Playoff Race.  grin

Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: Still Way Too Early Playoff Preview   Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:17 pm

Damn Bill nice write up!
If you were a Flag I would take the knee BUT only before the National Anthem.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Still Way Too Early Playoff Preview   Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:42 pm

Love it man! Especially since I am repping the G!

I may have to depend on my AP record this year. Hopefully the points keep coming!

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Still Way Too Early Playoff Preview   Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:53 pm

Great work.  Appreciate all the effort that you put into this.

Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos

PostSubject: Re: Still Way Too Early Playoff Preview   Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:16 pm

Charm City Justice wrote:
...but may have a hard time staying this close as the season progresses. The preseason comparison (Ravens) was pretty close on this one.

You nailed this one Bill...can't keep relying on unlikely players to "ball-out" on a weekly basis. Took everything I had just to beat the Dengenerates. Sadly, it's time to start watching more College football, start planning for the rookie draft. shrug

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Still Way Too Early Playoff Preview   Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:17 pm

Great work. That is a very cool look at the league!

cheers

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Still Way Too Early Playoff Preview   Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:51 pm

Bill, that is a great article. Well thought out, witty and beautifully presented - well done.

clap

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Still Way Too Early Playoff Preview   Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:11 pm

Top notch work Bill. Thanks for the respect but I am nervous since I dont put up the points others do.

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Still Way Too Early Playoff Preview   Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:47 am

This is excellent. Love the format, the idea, everything about it. And thank you for not making me the Cowboys- I would not have been nearly as nice then!

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: Still Way Too Early Playoff Preview   Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:10 pm

Awesome stuff - content and presentation
I'll take the bump up but we need to put up some more points soon!

Back to top Go down
North Wales Knights

PostSubject: Re: Still Way Too Early Playoff Preview   Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:46 pm

Good write up! Love it when people revisit predictions and own their right and wrong calls. vote yes

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Still Way Too Early Playoff Preview   Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:56 pm

Good write up. However, my team is ready to go on a roll.

Back to top Go down
Las Vegas DeGenerates

PostSubject: Re: Still Way Too Early Playoff Preview   Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:03 pm

Great write up man! I'll take the 9ers over the Browns lol

Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers

PostSubject: Re: Still Way Too Early Playoff Preview   Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:17 pm

Philadelphia Pigskins wrote:
This is excellent.  Love the format, the idea, everything about it.  And thank you for not making me the Cowboys- I would not have been nearly as nice then!
Better than the Cowgirls.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Still Way Too Early Playoff Preview   

Back to top Go down

Still Way Too Early Playoff Preview
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Articles-
Jump to: