:: I forgot my password
x

Share | 

Basketball

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Latvia Unicorns

PostSubject: Basketball   Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:57 am

Kyrie to Boston in exchange for Isaiah, Crowder, Zurich and Nets 2018 1st.

This makes perfect sense for the Celtics and surely makes them title contenders (at least in the East). Thomas is great but Kyrie can go to another level and he is a few years younger. Cleveland will still be up there though and now they have a couple of long term pieces for when LeBron goes.

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:27 am

I don't think it's a bad deal for Cleveland either.  Everybody knew Kyrie wanted out, but they still got a star in return and a 1st round pick (Brooklyn) next season.  I was surprised to see Kyrie go to the Cavalier's rival.  But then again, if he didn't get traded to the West, any team in the East would be a rival.  Will make for fun basketball to watch if they meet up in the Playoffs.  You know Kyrie will have something to prove and James will want to prove that something right back.

Back to top Go down
Haddonfield Slashers

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:36 am

As a Celtics fan, I want to say we gave up too much, but It actually makes a lot of sense. Kyrie is great and under control till 2020, IT has injury questions and will be seeking a Max deal after this year, one which I'm sure the Celtics were not comfortable giving him. Crowder and Zicic will be solid pieces for the Cavs off the bench, who are clearly the favorite again this year. The unprotected 1st Round Nets pick really hurts me as a fan. I think the Celtics are still looking ahead 2-3 years .

Back to top Go down
North Carolina Cobras

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:39 am

Its a win for Cleveland in my opinion. The stats may say otherwise, but looking at it from a non-fantasy angle, I think Thomas and Irving are fairly even. There's only a 2 points per game scoring difference and Thomas has better "clutch" numbers in the final seconds of the game.

Back to top Go down
Andromeda Afterglow

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:57 am

Big C's fan here, live a 15 min walk from the garden.

Knee-jerk reaction was we gave up too much, but the more you think about it with the celtics as built the more it makes sense. You can't give 3 maxes to IT, Horford and Hayward and beat superteams. Kyrie is 3 years younger, 6 inches taller, and has an extra year on the contract. Kyrie has an arrow pointing up while IT's physical style & hip injury means he will likely start pointing down. Hate giving up the nets pick but we still have LA.

Andy - interesting points from you. I would argue the fantasy/stats comparing IT and Kyrie are super close, but from a game film/scouting perspective think it's not as close as many think. Kyrie's skills are very very very rare. He should excel in Brad's system

Back to top Go down
North Carolina Cobras

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:03 am

Andromeda Afterglow wrote:
Big C's fan here, live a 15 min walk from the garden.

Knee-jerk reaction was we gave up too much, but the more you think about it with the celtics as built the more it makes sense. You can't give 3 maxes to IT, Horford and Hayward and beat superteams. Kyrie is 3 years younger, 6 inches taller, and has an extra year on the contract. Kyrie has an arrow pointing up while IT's physical style & hip injury means he will likely start pointing down. Hate giving up the nets pick but we still have LA.

Andy - interesting points from you. I would argue the fantasy/stats comparing IT and Kyrie are super close, but from a game film/scouting perspective think it's not as close as many think. Kyrie's skills are very very very rare. He should excel in Brad's system

In very rare skills are you refering to Kyrie's ability to over dribble, miss open players and lack of defense?

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:05 am

I didn't know NBA was still a thing.  laughing

I kid, I kid.

Back to top Go down
Andromeda Afterglow

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:13 am

Andy he's one of the best dribblers the NBA has ever seen and shoots an incredible 3 ball which is imperative in Stevens' system. His defense is also better than IT's, and should look better in Stevens' system where he will compensate with smart like he did with IT. He also averages more assists than IT, so I don't know where "missing open players" comes from

Back to top Go down
North Carolina Cobras

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:28 am

2016 Playoffs - New York Post

“We want Kyrie to be aggressive, but it has to be sharp, quick attacks. You can’t dribble for eight or nine seconds. We had that discussion, and he understands that,” Lue said.

Five Thirty Eight
July 24, 2017

Averaging 5.5 assists per game over his career, Irving can create offense for others. But he often gets tunnel vision on his way to the basket. His 27.6 percent pass rate out of drives was fourth-lowest among starting point guards. And his assist-to-turnover ratio varied considerably this past season — from a lofty 2.59 (think John Wall) to a mediocre 1.78 (think Austin Rivers)

Back to top Go down
Andromeda Afterglow

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:00 am

Oh you mean the 2016 playoffs he won for Cleveland? Also a Lue quote is laughable. He does have that over-dribbling issue but I think that can be fixed with coaching pretty easily.

I agree his assists and ball movement sometimes leave more to be desired, but I'm confident Stevens will put him in a better position to contribute to the rest of the team.

I definitely understand anyone who thinks the Cavs got more value, but let's not pretend Kyrie isn't a superstar or that IT is better. I love IT and will miss him dearly but there's simply no way

Back to top Go down
Latvia Unicorns

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:47 pm

Kyrie can take it to the next level in the playoffs and won multiple games in the Finals by himself. As
good as Isaiah is, the aforementioned 3 years, 6 inches and extra bit of health that Kyrie has over him is why the Celtics are better off on the whole after this trade.

Back to top Go down
Tenafly Vipers

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:21 pm

Woj: Sources: Thunder agree to deal to add Carmelo Anthony

Melo for Kanter, Dougie Buckets and a SECOND. ROUND. PICK. It's Chicago's second-rounder, so should be relatively high... but still. Rolling Eyes

I can't believe Houston couldn't offer a better deal than that. Pairing Porz with Kanter could be a good if defenseless front court tandem. McDermott looks like a 7th or 8th man. A second round pick is basically nothing.

Back to top Go down
Tenafly Vipers

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:32 pm

Back to top Go down
Latvia Unicorns

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:44 pm

Wow. Knew that this day would come eventually. I'm surprised the Thunder were his decision. Yeah, they have Westbrook and PG but I thought he joined the Knicks because of New York City. Now he's in the middle of nowhere playing second fiddle behind Westbrook. 

It's a damn shame that it has come to this - trading him away for a Center who can't play defense.  We should have more to show for his 7 years on the team and it outlines what a horribly run franchise we are. We cannot squander the talent of the Latvian Unicorn Kristaps Porzingis. We will never be successful until things are overhauled from the top down. Players will want to come to New York for the same reasons Melo came (plus the addition of playing with Porzingis). 

Carmelo Anthony is still my boy. He has been a great player for the Knicks and I feel like I did when the Jets traded Revis. One of the greats (who can still play btw) traded away to allow the young studs to come through and rebuild, but ultimately it will all fail because of the way the franchise is run.

Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:14 pm

Hey Carmel Anthony isn’t a bad player at all he does ok for me in NBA2K18.

Back to top Go down
Carolina Silverbacks

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:03 pm

Tarpon Springs RedKnights wrote:
Hey Carmel Anthony isn’t a bad player at all he does ok for me in NBA2K18.

lol3

Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:17 am

Latvia Unicorns wrote:
Wow. Knew that this day would come eventually. I'm surprised the Thunder were his decision. Yeah, they have Westbrook and PG but I thought he joined the Knicks because of New York City. Now he's in the middle of nowhere playing second fiddle behind Westbrook. 

It's a damn shame that it has come to this - trading him away for a Center who can't play defense.  We should have more to show for his 7 years on the team and it outlines what a horribly run franchise we are. We cannot squander the talent of the Latvian Unicorn Kristaps Porzingis. We will never be successful until things are overhauled from the top down. Players will want to come to New York for the same reasons Melo came (plus the addition of playing with Porzingis). 

Carmelo Anthony is still my boy. He has been a great player for the Knicks and I feel like I did when the Jets traded Revis. One of the greats (who can still play btw) traded away to allow the young studs to come through and rebuild, but ultimately it will all fail because of the way the franchise is run.

At this point, he had to go. He couldn't be there when camp started after the distractions of the off-season. Now the Knicks can be bad and finally commit to a full rebuild around Porzingas. It's not that Kanter doesn't play defense, its that he is not good at it. I will take this over whatever it was Anthony was doing on the defensive end the last number of years.

All in all though, I agree this is a horribly run franchise that cannot get out of its own way and will not be relevant any time in the foreseeable future.

Back to top Go down
Tenafly Vipers

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:03 am

PITINO FIRED

College basketball armageddon is here. Wow. Saw Pat Forde recommending the death penalty for Louisville on Twitter.

I wonder if this will ever reach football.

Back to top Go down
Tenafly Vipers

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:05 am

Charm City Justice wrote:
It's not that Kanter doesn't play defense, its that he is not good at it.

Respectfully disagree. Kanter has had some great playoff series for the Thunder, and some where he couldn't be on the floor. He's a situational mismatch, which is more valuable than most NBA players when you get into a series.

Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:57 pm

Tenafly Vipers wrote:
It's not that Kanter doesn't play defense, its that he is not good at it.

Respectfully disagree. Kanter has had some great playoff series for the Thunder, and some where he couldn't be on the floor. He's a situational mismatch, which is more valuable than most NBA players when you get into a series.

I'll be honest and say I have not seen much of Kanter, so I will defer to your assessment. My statement came based on stats I had seen indicating he was not very good at defense, but I recognize stats can be misleading if not put into context. Whatever the situation is, he can't be worse than Anthony.

As for Louisville, this is really really bad. That program could be seeing a serious decline. Then again, I have been thinking that for years about UNC after their academic scandal and nothing has happened there, so one never knows.

Back to top Go down
Tenafly Vipers

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:23 pm

Kanter is terrible on defense, but pretty good on offense, especially against slower teams. He's a good passer, so a pretty good small-ball 5 who can play 25-30 minutes a game in the right playoff series (ideally against a team that has trouble scoring consistently). A team that can score, though, makes Kanter a fairly useless warm body. I think he'll have a lot more success in the East than he ever did in the West.

As an example, Kanter torched the Spurs two years ago in Durant's last year when the Thunder advanced to the Conference Finals and were probably the best team in the league. He was almost unplayable against Golden State, though. Playoffs are all about matchups and all that.

Back to top Go down
Tenafly Vipers

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:38 pm

Back to top Go down
Andromeda Afterglow

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:02 pm

Absolutely laughable. Celtics that low? This stat they're using is also such BS - like does it really think Giannis is worse than Draymond? And by that much? Classic ESPN garbage

Back to top Go down
Tenafly Vipers

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:19 pm

Yeah, and they have the Thunder behind the Clippers, Bucks and... Nuggets? We shall see, I guess.

That RPM stat really loves Zaza. Seems like there's a lot of noise there since he's sharing the court with the best foursome in basketball history. But they also have Danny Green as equal to Klay Thompson, so maybe it's just bullshit.

Back to top Go down
Tenafly Vipers

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:50 pm

Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:04 pm

Tenafly Vipers wrote:
That Wade shade vote yes

One of the few players in the league who can get away with saying something like that probably. I haven't watched the Cavs (or the NBA really) at all this year but hearing about the struggles in Cleveland does make me chuckle quite a bit. They will probably figure it out and still make it to the finals though.

Back to top Go down
Tenafly Vipers

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:10 pm

Tenafly Vipers wrote:
That Wade shade vote yes

One of the few players in the league who can get away with saying something like that probably.  I haven't watched the Cavs (or the NBA really) at all this year but hearing about the struggles in Cleveland does make me chuckle quite a bit.  They will probably figure it out and still make it to the finals though.

It’s even funnier (pettier?) because Wade began the season in the starting lineup but was moved to the bench last week.

Back to top Go down
Latvia Unicorns

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:31 pm

Best part about that is he's absolutely right. Cavs have major problems and Celtics are favorites to take the East. LeBron can't go for 57 every night.

Porzingis can though.  love

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Basketball   

Back to top Go down

Basketball
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Free For All-
Jump to: