x

Share | 

Minor League Articles

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Minor League Articles   Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:05 pm

Based on some of the press rooms, it appears we have some authors in the minor league.  Is anyone planning on doing articles?

Articles:
Weekly Prediction Article: Young Matt
Playoff Preview (starting mid-season): Other Matt
Preseason Team Previews: Collin
Matchup of the Week (RR): Jason
Matchup of the Week (PP): Mitch
Race from the Pink: Ghoji

Last edited by Philadelphia Pigskins on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:44 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Andromeda Afterglow

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:44 pm

I'm definitely down to contribute but am trying to determine a format. Any ideas on what holes exist in our current set of articles?

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:51 pm

Andromeda Afterglow wrote:
I'm definitely down to contribute but am trying to determine a format. Any ideas on what holes exist in our current set of articles?

I don't think there are currently any lined up for the minors. In the majors we have:

An article highlighting and breaking down 1 matchup per conference.
An article doing a quick rundown of all of the matchups each week in each conference.
An article at the end of each week summarizing each matchup in each conference.
Off season power rankings
Playoff previews in-season
Offense vs Defense- breaking down offense and defense rankings throughout the season

Some others I'm probably forgetting. I'd say anything you feel inspired to do would be a welcome contribution

Back to top Go down
Alaska Arsenic

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:40 pm

I would be willing to contribute to something for the minor league. I think it would be fun to have some articles rolling for our crowd.

Back to top Go down
http://faketeams.com
Polk High Panthers

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:14 pm

I am all about pulling some weight, I thought about volunteering but I am going to be pretty busy with the move across country from mid September till mid October.. We have houses lined up to look at but with being on the road and then having to find a place and move in I am not totally comfortable enough with the internet situation so I didn't want to pony up for something and not be able to deliver for the first month of the season..

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:22 pm

A lot of the articles are also shared between multiple owners, with each taking half the season

Back to top Go down
Riverside Rottweilers

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:45 pm

I'd be happy to contribute. I might look into writing some offseason stuff.

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:03 pm

I owe 2-3 articles worth this preseason but I can probably contribute as well.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:36 pm

Main League owners are required to pitch in (and must have an approved role) but Minor League owners do not. That said, we would LOVE any effort you guys would be willing to give and your leaguemates would certainly enjoy it as well. Also, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't notice effort like that. I LOVE effort.

You could do your own version of something we do for the Main League or you could dream up something entirely new. We have roles to fill for the Main League as well as roles that are less about the leagues and more about the club BUT again that stuff goes through me.

Have fun with it.

metal metal metal metal metal metal metal metal

Good idea Matt!

Back to top Go down
Carolina Silverbacks

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:53 pm

I’m more an analytical and numbers guy. Writing and being clever aren’t my thing. I can try to help out or think of something on my own.

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:55 pm

So if anyone wants to claim an article, post it here so we don't have multiple people working on the same ones

Back to top Go down
Carolina Werewolves

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:27 pm

I was planning to do a series of articles on draft eligible college players since my forte is dev. leagues. "Hellspawn college corner series"

If no one else is going to volunteer I can fit in a match up of the week for RR.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:58 am

Carolina Werewolves wrote:
I was planning to do a series of articles on draft eligible college players since my forte is dev. leagues. "Hellspawn college corner series"

If no one else is going to volunteer I can fit in a match up of the week for RR.

I keep hearing you offer articles and or threads in the forum about this and either keep missing them or am still waiting!

Back to top Go down
Latvia Unicorns

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:50 am

I'd be interested if I can come up with a good idea. Watch this space.

Back to top Go down
Carolina Werewolves

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:23 am

Indiana Mayhem wrote:

I keep hearing you offer articles and or threads in the forum about this and either keep missing them or am still waiting!

Patience grasshopper. I haven't posted on in a bit. From the # of views on the ones I posted, you may be the only one waiting for them.

Back to top Go down
Edinburgh Galacticos

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:34 am

I wanted to do a similar thing and I did put out a few of these last year. Problem is, and remains, I can't guarantee right now that I will be able to do one a week - so perhaps I could help and contribute to your 'college corner' section as and when?

I will also try and come up with something different that I can do, I have an idea I just need to think it through and see if it will work.

Back to top Go down
Maplewood Doppelgangers

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:08 am

Yeah, I'm definitely not a writer. Not too creative!

Back to top Go down
Carolina Silverbacks

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:14 am

I use some sites that do playoff clinching scenarios so maybe I could do an article highlighting matchups or clinching scenarios in the later half of the season? Would that be interesting or worthwhile?

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:19 am

Carolina Silverbacks wrote:
I use some sites that do playoff clinching scenarios so maybe I could do an article highlighting matchups or clinching scenarios in the later half of the season?  Would that be interesting or worthwhile?

vote yes

I think we usually start it around week 8 in the main league, outlining who would get what seed and what teams need in order to clinch

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:24 am

Out of curiosity, can Minor Leaguers get points on the activity tracker for the "patch" category, which I understand is based on articles, etc.?

Back to top Go down
Maplewood Doppelgangers

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:37 am

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
Out of curiosity, can Minor Leaguers get points on the activity tracker for the "patch" category, which I understand is based on articles, etc.?

At this point, I don't think so. Maybe sometime in the future though!

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:07 pm

Maplewood Doppelgangers wrote:
Bergen Brawlers wrote:

At this point, I don't think so. Maybe sometime in the future though!

Right on. Not at this time, but maybe something we should consider moving forward.

Back to top Go down
Denver Demons

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:21 pm

I love writing, but my schedule is completely up in the air with law school starting in two weeks. Once I have a better idea of what that looks like, I can commit to something. Or perhaps I can do an off-season article? I should have plenty of time to manage it then.

For now, I'll think up something to do in the off-season. As my schedule becomes a bit clearer (aka, when I find out when my exams are), I may commit to a playoff write-up as well.

Back to top Go down
Tenafly Vipers

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:30 pm

I talked to Matt over email. I'll be doing season previews for RR bashing all your teams. Coming soon!

Also, I could help out on the Matchup of the Week stuff in RR, Jason, if you want to trade off or take one half of the season.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:33 pm

Love to see all the interest. For some a regular writing gig fits well. For others, possibly a larger piece that comes out less frequently and has more flexibility is a good fit. For those that don't feel strong in the creativity department, maybe something more in the way of an administration of something or reporting of data on something could work.

Again, in the Minor League nothing is required but everything is appreciated. The goal in the main league is to have everyone contributing and for the contribution to fit the personality and schedule of the owner.

Back to top Go down
Carolina Silverbacks

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:42 pm

Philadelphia Pigskins wrote:
I use some sites that do playoff clinching scenarios so maybe I could do an article highlighting matchups or clinching scenarios in the later half of the season?  Would that be interesting or worthwhile?

vote yes

I think we usually start it around week 8 in the main league, outlining who would get what seed and what teams need in order to clinch

Sounds good. I could handle that I do believe. I'll plan for week 8.

Back to top Go down
Riverside Rottweilers

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:02 pm

I was thinking of doing some sort of weekly prediction article as well as a pre-season prediction. It seems like everyone thinks their team is going 8-4 this year, so I'll let the model decide where the teams really stand.

Of course, this wouldn't be anything close to SMAK, the holy grail of complex statistical models, just a little something to give owners a glimpse at who's going for the title and who will be racing from the pink come December.

If anyone on the PP side of things wants to team up on this, let me know. I think the power of two people (plus a little statistics) should be enough to make up for whatever fancy algorithms Bern is using.

Back to top Go down
Carolina Werewolves

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:32 am

Matt I was thinking the RR match up of the week article would be posted Thursday or Friday depending on the speed of owners posting line ups. I have my thoughts on how I want to set it up but am open to suggestions.

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:50 am

Matt I was thinking the RR match up of the week article would be posted Thursday or Friday depending on the speed of owners posting line ups. I have my thoughts on how I want to set it up but am open to suggestions.

Sounds great! I don't see how owners wouldn't have a lineup in with Thursday games, so that should be good.

Back to top Go down
Kansas City Kings

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:39 am

An article comparing main league teams vs minor teams would be interesting. I am a terrible writer though, just throwing out an idea.

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:47 am

I'm a little late here, but I do have all the top players (close to Top 500, I think) total points from last season and PPG averages from last season on a spreadsheet, if somebody wanted to mess with those numbers.  I use Open Office.org, and I know most probably use Excel, so it will need to be converted.  I think it's an .odt extension.  Just let me know if you want me to send you the starting point.  Obviously, I can't send the completed SMAK calculations.  But then again, that data wouldn't transfer as it it too large in data size.  grin

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:37 pm

Some owners also do videos instead of articles, if anyone is interested

Back to top Go down
Carolina Werewolves

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:37 pm

So where do I post the articles? Will the Minor League have an are of Roster Wars just for ourselves?

Back to top Go down
Alaska Arsenic

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:42 pm

I assume we will also post anything official in the Wartime Press area...?

Back to top Go down
http://faketeams.com
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:43 pm

Alaska Arsenic wrote:

That is Andy's call, but that is what I would imagine. Maybe he will create a Minor League subsection or something.

Back to top Go down
Carolina Werewolves

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:45 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Alaska Arsenic wrote:

That is Andy's call, but that is what I would imagine. Maybe he will create a Minor League subsection or something.

I could see Andy going either way so I didn't want to assume one way or the other.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:45 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Alaska Arsenic wrote:

I could see Andy going either way so I didn't want to assume one way or the other.

Andy does go both ways a lot.

If you post, post it in the Wartime Press section, and he will move accordingly.

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:52 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Andy does go both ways a lot.

Back to top Go down
Carolina Silverbacks

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:23 pm

vote yes

Are there any examples I could look at? I can do a search but unsure what I'm searching for. Any guidance is much appreciated.

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:53 pm

vote yes

Are there any examples I could look at?  I can do a search but unsure what I'm searching for.  Any guidance is much appreciated.

Here are a few:

http://rosterwars.forumotion.com/t5704-playoff-snapshot-week-7

http://rosterwars.forumotion.com/t5744-playoff-snapshot-week-9

http://rosterwars.forumotion.com/t5819-playoff-snapshot-season-finale-tt-added

http://rosterwars.forumotion.com/t7231-dd-playoff-picture-after-week-7-aka-derrick-s-therapy-session?highlight=playoff

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:53 pm

So where do I post the articles? Will the Minor League have an are of Roster Wars just for ourselves?

I think we will do them in the same section, but a different color so they are easy to distinguish.  Wait for confirmation from Andy though.

Back to top Go down
Carolina Werewolves

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:55 pm

OK. Waiting for Andy

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:13 pm

Alright I've updated OP for articles that people have said they are interested in doing.  If anyone wants to team up with one of them, or is looking for someone to split up an article you are thinking of either by week or conference you can reach out or post here. Also a few people have reached out to me with ideas, so feel free to shoot me an email if you want to bounce ideas or hear context for what we've done in the past.

Let me know if anyone else has something else they are planning on doing so I can put it up.  Really looking forward to what we have so far!  RR is stepping it up!

Back to top Go down
Carolina Silverbacks

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:34 pm

Here's a logo I made for my playoff preview article.

Back to top Go down
Manhattan Beach Patriots

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:25 pm

Nice!

party4

Back to top Go down
Haddonfield Slashers

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:38 pm

Don't have any ideas for articles, but would anyone be interested in a Pick em pool against the spread that includes both college games and NFL games... College games would require me to input the Vegas line each week, (Which would be based on the Monday morning Vegas line) I would be willing to set it up, transfer stats/leaders from the outside site to our site. Would just need interested owners emails to set up invites and ask that all owners complete the pool each week. I would also be opening this up to all owners in the Major league... Let me know what you think... Gives you something different to check out on Saturdays, and the college picks also tests your skills picking a 33 point favorite...

Back to top Go down
Haddonfield Slashers

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:40 pm

Who's In? Who's Out?

Just an idea.

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:36 pm

vote yes

Back to top Go down
Edinburgh Galacticos

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:37 am

I have an idea something I have been mulling over. In UK soccer we have the League and simultaneously they have knock-out cup competitions.

I was thinking I could mock up a kind of unofficial knock-out style cup competition. Just for fun really, with imaginary match-ups based on the draw.

Not sure if Andy/Carla like the idea they could maybe throw out a few WBs to the winner.
I was thinking format something like this:

- First 4 weeks is simply qualifying points. Only 16 teams get entry based on total points scored over first 4 weeks. 16 teams makes it easier for knock out purposes.
- Cup draw is then seeded, top points scorer vs lowest points scorer and so on...
-Week 6 is 1st round - 8 games (16 teams)
- Week 8 is Quarter Final - 4 games (8 teams)
- Week 10 is Semi Final - 2 games (4 teams)
Week 12 is Final - 1 game (2 teams)

Winner Takes all.

Obviously I would jazz it up a little and get some decent graphics together for the draw and do a review on the match ups etc.
Also I guess depending on the draw there would be some cross division match-ups which could be quite cool for a bit of banter with people in the other division also.

Back to top Go down
Carolina Silverbacks

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:53 am

Haddonfield Slashers wrote:

Who's In? Who's Out?

Just an idea.

Unfortunately the Whos' In? is a graphic I got online not something I typed so I couldn't do the Who's Out?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Minor League Articles   

Back to top Go down

Minor League Articles
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Main RW Lobby-
Jump to: