View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Poaching Discussion Thread   Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:10 am

Contract Offer:
5 Years
25 Warbucks
2018 6th Round Draft Pick (Maple Grove Mean Machine)

Practice Squad Player:
Marquel Lee OAK LB 

I liked him & thought about grabbing him but that is a ballsy contract and a good move to make it hard to block

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:15 am

For some reason I get the feeling that Greg likes sticking it to Joe.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:28 am

It was fun seeing the first poaching attempt.  Since we are in unchartered territory, though, is there any etiquette as to what can be said during the 3-day consideration window?  I normally would be of the position not to say anything but there is certainly a lot more transparency and discussion here than in any of my other leagues.

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:31 am

Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:

Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:34 am

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
It was fun seeing the first poaching attempt.  Since we are in unchartered territory, though, is there any etiquette as to what can be said during the 3-day consideration window?  I normally would be of the position not to say anything but there is certainly a lot more transparency and discussion here than in any of my other leagues.

I might lean toward not saying anything as well, but there is really not all that much that is secret about what is going on. Unless someone starts telling Joe who to drop to make years or giving him some other sort of strategic advice, I would think mostly this is fair game

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:36 am

Bergen Brawlers wrote:

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:53 am

Hahaha.  I actually started my prior post with a quick apology to Eric.  I see nothing wrong here.  But I'm in some leagues where if I even mention the name Calvin Johnson at any point during this year's draft people will freak out.

Personally I think that it would be fun to have some commentary while we're watching the clock run.

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:39 am

if we change someones mind...... that's on them

Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:52 am

Kane County Goon Squad wrote:
Not really. I get swayed very easily. Last year I wanted to keep some dude WR from the Packers. Then this Tyrant guy starts flooding my text/emails with "oh he is on his way out bla bla bla" before you know it I got rid of the bum! Lesson learned? not by me, I will get swayed again every opportunity I get. So your "that's on them" argument doesnt fly with me dude! or does it? send me an email explaining your position and I might agree to it.

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:02 am

Tarpon Springs RedKnights wrote:
Not really. I get swayed very easily. Last year I wanted to keep some dude WR from the Packers. Then this Tyrant guy starts flooding my text/emails with "oh he is on his way out bla bla bla" before you know it I got rid of the bum! Lesson learned? not by me, I will get swayed again every opportunity I get. So your "that's on them" argument doesnt fly with me dude! or does it? send me an email explaining your position and I might agree to it.
THATS ON YOU!

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:23 am

Tarpon Springs RedKnights wrote:

I told you he wouldn't have 1st round trade value.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:04 am

To be fair, Greg likes sticking it to anyone with a hole. lol3

Bergen Brawlers wrote:

As Eric said, if someone changes your opinion with words that's on you. Nobody tells me how to run my team.

I said yesterday that I don't feel the poacher is responsible for notifying the other owner and I mean it. I also don't give a rip if someone is compelled to notify them. I couldn't police that even if I wanted to.

Bottom line: Personal responsibility. I'm big on it.

The only thing I should mention (and it's already in the bylaws) is if you attempt to poach from a team that has notified me they would be away more than usual, I will handle that on a case by case basis so that nobody is being poached when they are granted leave. It might mean a bigger window for a response OR it might mean as RWP I need to get in contact with the absent owner directly so they can at least give consent or whatever.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:50 am

I dont know about this poaching thing.....jury is out on it for me still. I am at max contract so I wont be poaching anyway. Watching this year and learning more will help me decide if I am a poacher or want to be poached.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:04 am

I think we should announce poaching like this......

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:29 am

Lmao that is awesome Carla!

I love the poaching addition. It adds another element of strategy. I plan on both poaching and being poached.

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:03 am

This is how I poach -

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:24 am

Indiana Mayhem wrote:
I think we should announce poaching like this......

Laughing Laughing Laughing

vote yes

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:51 am

I like the poaching idea but I think the poacher should notify the poachee just like a trade offer that goes through. If Andy doesn't want to make it official, then I think common courtesy dictates this.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:01 pm

Naperville Divine wrote:
I like the poaching idea but I think the poacher should notify the poachee just like a trade offer that goes through.  If Andy doesn't want to make it official, then I think common courtesy dictates this.
I disagree. If I care enough about my team I will make it to the forum every two days and keep an eye on the poaching thread.
I left some good quality rookies on my developmental list if one gets poached and I am not aware of it then I obviously didn't care enough to protect that player.

Back to top Go down
North Wales Knights

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:32 pm

This.

Its my own fault. Knowing Greg was a Raiders guy, I was going to give him a 2 or 3 year contract but opted not to and now Greg forced me to make a decision.  Smart move by Greg.  Better screen cap that, not sure I'll be saying that many more times...( I kid, I kid wink )

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:35 pm

Gotta admit that I've been thinking about whether now is the right time to go after Melifonwu.  If Joe matches, that might be Greg's next target.

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:39 pm

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
Gotta admit that I've been thinking about whether now is the right time to go after Melifonwu.  If Joe matches, that might be Greg's next target.

To make sure I get all this, Nightmare offered a 5yr deal, and the Knights are already at 116yrs, doesn't that mean the Knights would need to drop, or trade some players to make enough contract room to match the Nightmare's poaching offer?

Because I've been doing some research on the DD side, and I'm not in too bad of a spot there with my $25 WB's and 3 open contract years. It doesn't seem like a lot, but a bunch of the DD teams are close to $0 or no contract space available. thinking2

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:43 pm

Actually, Joe put Geathers on IR so he's got the 5 years to spare.  And plenty of WBs.

There's a lot of guys on your side that are very tempting.  And some of those guys can't be protected unless an owner makes a deal for WBs -- and you know how expensive it can be to buy WBs when you need them.

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:33 pm

Ah, I didn't notice the Geathers move. I have a list of about 8 guys, 2 I really like, and then even a 3rd guy. You're right, depending on the team, I can either offer enough contract years, or WB's and there's not much a team could do to stop it. God forgive any team that tries to acquire more WB's via a trade. The value has been set. laughing

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:13 am

Joe better get going on an answer. Greg doesn't take last minute matches very well.

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:54 pm

Something tells me we'll be getting a new post in the "NSFW Greg has something to say" thread.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:10 pm

Love how Joe waited, just to get under Greg's skin. The rivalry gets better.

Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:12 am

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Love how Joe waited, just to get under Greg's skin. The rivalry gets better.

Absolutely...well done on both sides!  And the first test, is in the books...

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:41 am

That was interesting. I think Joe lost though. Marquel Lee is an interesting prospect (I have him over in DD so I'm a fan) but 25WBs and losing all your available contract cap to keep him?

I suppose 25WBs is chump change over in TT but it seems a lot to me.

shrug

Back to top Go down
North Wales Knights

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:51 am

England Dragons wrote:
That was interesting. I think Joe lost though. Marquel Lee is an interesting prospect (I have him over in DD so I'm a fan) but 25WBs and losing all your available contract cap to keep him?

shrug

As I said above, it was my own fault for not putting him on my active roster. 25 WB is a big hit, but the news seems pretty positive on him, LB is my weakest position and starting MLBs arent just growing on trees over here.

Plus, I cant let Greg have him...

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:39 am

North Wales Knights wrote:
England Dragons wrote:

shrug

As I said above, it was my own fault for not putting him on my active roster.  25 WB is a big hit, but the news seems pretty positive on him, LB is my weakest position and starting MLBs arent just growing on trees over here.

laughing

Oh, it could certainly work out. He seems to have the inside track to the job at the minute and if he holds on, you are golden.

This kind of thing is exactly why I didn't use the taxi squad this year. I'd rather put a rookie I like on a 1yr or 2yr deal than be forced to pay up to keep him or burn more years than I want to at someone else's whim.

It will be an interesting addition to the tactical side at Roster Wars and should be fun to watch this year.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:42 am

Yep, I put my rooks on the active roster because of this as well. I don't want Sty lurking on my shit. Stay away Sty!

Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:09 am

I'm glad I didn't really draft anybody to put on the TS....... 25 WBs is a lot to promote a bum rookie

Back to top Go down
Polk High Panthers

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:41 am

Man this poaching thing is a whole other level can of worms... this is going to fun to watch.

Round 1 did not disappoint.

Back to top Go down
North Wales Knights

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:32 pm

England Dragons wrote:
North Wales Knights wrote:
England Dragons wrote:

shrug

As I said above, it was my own fault for not putting him on my active roster.  25 WB is a big hit, but the news seems pretty positive on him, LB is my weakest position and starting MLBs arent just growing on trees over here.

laughing

Oh, it could certainly work out. He seems to have the inside track to the job at the minute and if he holds on, you are golden.

This kind of thing is exactly why I didn't use the taxi squad this year. I'd rather put a rookie I like on a 1yr or 2yr deal than be forced to pay up to keep him or burn more years than I want to at someone else's whim.

It will be an interesting addition to the tactical side at Roster Wars and should be fun to watch this year.

Yep, lesson learned. I did not anticipate anyone giving the last pick in the draft 5 years in an attempt to steal him

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:40 pm

A big thank you to Greg from the 10 teams in the TT not involved in this deal. We now have 25 less WBs to contend with in RFA next year.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:24 pm

I didnt use the TS at all and this thread is making me think I never will

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:42 pm

I not too fazed with putting players on the Taxi Squad. I put guys there that I know I didn't plan on playing in 2017(at least not at the start of the season). It helps save on contract years that I added to other players. If they happen to get poached, it's like I traded that bench player I had, for a draft pick higher than what I selected him for. So you basically move up the draft board 1 round the next season. Then again, all my draft picks this past season were Round #4 or later, so we're not talking instant stat producing players.

I got one question though. In the instance of Greg/Joe poach attempt. If Greg would have made the poach, does the $25 WB's go to Joe? Or was that just the fee to sign the player for 5 years?

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Nevada NightHawks wrote:
I got one question though.  In the instance of Greg/Joe poach attempt.  If Greg would have made the poach, does the $25 WB's go to Joe?  Or was that just the fee to sign the player for 5 years?

My understanding is that the 25 WB's is a fee and doesn't go to the poached owner.

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:11 pm

Nevada NightHawks wrote:
I got one question though.  In the instance of Greg/Joe poach attempt.  If Greg would have made the poach, does the $25 WB's go to Joe?  Or was that just the fee to sign the player for 5 years?

My understanding is that the 25 WB's is a fee and doesn't go to the poached owner.  

Thanks. Ya I was re-reading the By-Laws and I didn't find anything that stated the poached owner gets the WB's. So they just get the draft pick.

Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:41 pm

Nevada NightHawks wrote:

Mine as well...But, I kinda like the idea of it going to the owner; adds even more layers to the fun. vote yes

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:23 pm

Wbs are for the contract. They don't get passed as compensation. The PS can be used or not. It has advantages and disadvantages. Nice!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:31 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Yep, I put my rooks on the active roster because of this as well. I don't want Sty lurking on my shit. Stay away Sty!

Terrible attitude to have.

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:49 pm

I know I'll be watching more pre-season football.

Back to top Go down
North Wales Knights

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:04 pm

Nevada NightHawks wrote:

I asked that exact question to Andy prior to my decision. If the WB came to me along with the pick, it would have been an easy decision to let the poach go through.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:23 pm

Back to top Go down
California Nightmare

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:20 pm

Good move Ed. Riley was on my radar as well. I would have done the same deal if I had a 5th which the whore of late round draft picks (Russ) wouldn't trade back to me. So fuck Russ.

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:20 pm

California Nightmare wrote:
So fuck Russ.

agree

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:28 pm

San Francisco Golddiggers wrote:
Riley is all yours.

Looks like I am the first successful poacher of Roster Wars!

Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:43 pm

I'm not sure about the WB's being thrown around in these deals. It's part of the WB value phenomenon where WB's when being asked for in a trade with legit players is "crazy talk", but when signing longshots off of taxi squads WB's are flying around like Benjamin's at a strip club with Pacman Jones. I don't get it.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Poaching Discussion Thread   

Back to top Go down

Poaching Discussion Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Main RW Lobby-
Jump to: