HomeLog inRegisterFAQSearch

Share | 

Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:19 pm

Seems strange for a league like ours

Back to top Go down
California Nightmare

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:08 pm

I love it.

Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:21 am

I like it too

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:39 am

So if you're doing something in RL and miss breaking news you have no opportunity to make a value based offer for a player? Weird

Back to top Go down
California Nightmare

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:50 am

Atlanta Africans wrote:
So if you're doing something in RL and miss breaking news you have no opportunity to make a value based offer for a player? Weird

You always have the opportunity to make a value based offer for a player... it's called a trade.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:51 am

I love it too

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:01 pm

California Nightmare wrote:
Atlanta Africans wrote:

You always have the opportunity to make a value based offer for a player... it's called a trade.

That's not equal opportunity...

Back to top Go down
Maplewood Doppelgangers

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:42 pm

I'm in a league where player lock Sunday night and BB waivers run Wednesday, then it's FCFS the rest of the week. It's really stupid. Just have one or the other.

But in a league like this, I think it should be FCFS. It rewards the teams that are paying attention.

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:47 pm

Maplewood Doppelgangers wrote:
I'm in a league where player lock Sunday night and BB waivers run Wednesday, then it's FCFS the rest of the week. It's really stupid. Just have one or the other.

But in a league like this, I think it should be FCFS. It rewards the teams that are paying attention.

I think his point is, if he is at work and is running a meeting, he cannot put in a claim for Orr as soon as his nifty app send him a notification that he is returning. By the time the meeting ends another team already has Orr and there is no recourse for him not being able to act earlier.

I am not stating that I agree or disagree, but to claim he was not paying attention is not a true statement.

shrug

Back to top Go down
Maplewood Doppelgangers

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:11 pm

Norfolk Bombers wrote:

I think his point is, if he is at work and is running a meeting, he cannot put in a claim for Orr as soon as his nifty app send him a notification that he is returning.  By the time the meeting ends another team already has Orr and there is no recourse for him not being able to act earlier.  

I am not stating that I agree or disagree, but to claim he was not paying attention is not a true statement.

shrug

I got ya! That's very true. I forget people have jobs with regular schedules and times where they are not able to get online to make a move.

Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:19 pm

Norfolk Bombers wrote:

I think his point is, if he is at work and is running a meeting, he cannot put in a claim for Orr as soon as his nifty app send him a notification that he is returning.  By the time the meeting ends another team already has Orr and there is no recourse for him not being able to act earlier.  

shrug

I got ya! That's very true. I forget people have jobs with regular schedules and times where they are not able to get online to make a move.

As the jerk who picked up Orr on my side, I luckily heard about it on the radio coming in to work. I thought for sure that someone would have added him by the time I got to work and quickly made the add when I had the chance. I seriously considered pulling off to the side of the road and making the move on my phone, but thought that if a cop questioned what I was doing my explanation would be pretty weird. The fact that it was getting a ton of play on local sports talk radio because I live in Baltimore definitely worked to my advantage. It also helped that I could make the move at 7:30 ET while at least some of the people in my division were probably asleep (West Coast). This doesn't mean I don't agree with the FCFS rules, just that in this case they definitely worked to my advantage. That being said, chances are there is a time where they will work to my disadvantage and so my guess is it all works out in the end.

Back to top Go down
Latvia Unicorns

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:19 pm

I don't have the privilege of working somewhere with computer/phone access. I am out of action for 4-5 hours before lunch then another 4-5 hours until I finish. I also sleep at peak US times.

First Comes First Served waivers is not a system that gives equal opportunity.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:58 pm

not to mention, I would have liked to have seen folks waste (oops, use) their WBs on acquiring him.

But, I think this is the first time something like this has happened where a decent player has become available at this time of year when it's FCFS. It doesn't really bother me one way or the other.

Back to top Go down
California Nightmare

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:11 pm

Now Dave looks like a motherfucking genius with that Tony Romo and Calvin Johnson shit. I gotta get some of that Arian Foster.

Win some, lose some Ian. Fuck it.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:14 pm

Nobody cares about other leagues....this is the one that matters

Back to top Go down
Alaska Arsenic

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:23 pm

Indiana Mayhem wrote:

Nobody cares about other leagues....this is the one that matters

I'm new here but isnt there one thread dedicated to talking about other leagues? I feel like this is penalizable...

eating popcorn eating popcorn

Back to top Go down
http://faketeams.com
California Nightmare

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:32 pm

Latvia Unicorns wrote:

How the fuck does it not give equal opportunity? A free agent in FCFS is available to anyone at any motherfucking time. A free agent in bidding wars is favorable to the bigger bank roll... which is not anywhere fucking close to equal in this league.

Back to top Go down
Latvia Unicorns

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:59 pm

Latvia Unicorns wrote:

How the fuck does it not give equal opportunity? A free agent in FCFS is available to anyone at any motherfucking time. A free agent in bidding wars is favorable to the bigger bank roll... which is not anywhere fucking close to equal in this league.

It only gives equal opportunity to those online at the time of the news.

At least if you have to pay waiver dollars for a player, there are consequences and you have to make a decision on how much you value that player.

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:12 pm

Latvia Unicorns wrote:

I go back & forth on this issue but as far not being equal because some have more WB is a stupid argument IMO - you could spend your WB in RFA or wait 3 years to spend them in BB - how you choose to spend them is up to you - and FCFS DOES work better for some then it does for others and since we all get close to the same amount of WB yearly THAT does make it equal

Back to top Go down
North Wales Knights

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:12 pm

Kane County Goon Squad wrote:
Latvia Unicorns wrote:

I go back & forth on this issue but as far not being equal because some have more WB is a stupid argument IMO - you could spend your WB in RFA or wait 3 years to spend them in BB - how you choose to spend them is up to you - and FCFS DOES work better for some then it does for others and since we all get close to the same amount of WB yearly THAT does make it equal

agree

Back to top Go down
Hamilton Steel Cats

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:28 pm

Arguing about a guy with a wonky fuckin' neck, SIGH,

I'd be more pissed if I missed last call at the waffle house and someone skunked the last few pieces of peameal bacon while I waiting to be seated.

Back to top Go down
Maplewood Doppelgangers

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:39 pm

What the fuck is peameal bacon? Minnesota is basically Canada so I understand most of what you say, but I'm confused.

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:41 pm

Peameal bacon (also known as cornmeal bacon ) is a type of back bacon made from lean boneless pork loin, trimmed fine, wet cured in a pickling brine, and rolled in cornmeal. Development is credited to a Toronto, Ontario, ham and bacon curer, William Davies,[1] whose idea was taken on by emigrees from Wiltshire, England, who settled in Canada.[citation needed]

The name "peameal bacon" derives from the historic practice of rolling the cured and trimmed boneless loin in dried and ground yellow peas to extend shelf life. Since the end of World War II it has been rolled in ground yellow cornmeal. Peameal bacon resembles but is distinctly different in flavour from the product sold in the U.S.A. as Canadian bacon.

Peameal bacon sandwiches are often considered a signature dish of Toronto's St. Lawrence Market. It is grilled in medium-sized slices until the centre is slightly rare and the cornmeal coating and external fat turns crisp to the bite.

Back to top Go down
Maplewood Doppelgangers

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:43 pm

Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:
Peameal bacon (also known as cornmeal bacon ) is a type of back bacon made from lean boneless pork loin, trimmed fine, wet cured in a pickling brine, and rolled in cornmeal. Development is credited to a Toronto, Ontario, ham and bacon curer, William Davies,[1] whose idea was taken on by emigrees from Wiltshire, England, who settled in Canada.[citation needed]

The name "peameal bacon" derives from the historic practice of rolling the cured and trimmed boneless loin in dried and ground yellow peas to extend shelf life. Since the end of World War II it has been rolled in ground yellow cornmeal. Peameal bacon resembles but is distinctly different in flavour from the product sold in the U.S.A. as Canadian bacon.

Peameal bacon sandwiches are often considered a signature dish of Toronto's St. Lawrence Market. It is grilled in medium-sized slices until the centre is slightly rare and the cornmeal coating and external fat turns crisp to the bite.

Thanks for doing what I was too lazy to do, Ed!

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:09 pm

While I can understand the feelings of those burned by FCFS, the alternative is easily worse.

Also, nobody has anything to say about things until it bites them. If something irks you enough in principle you don't wait until it gets you to say something. For instance...Victory Points. I have been plenty vocal on them and they can't touch me.

While it's absolutely true that life can cause you to miss a window to gobble up some recently available player that stands out as a gem despite neck issues that suddenly aren't a potential issue, it may very well have been the universe saving you from yourself and letting some other poor bastard be fooled into doling out contract years into the abyss.

But I can tell you this with certainty...while in this moment a Blind Bid event seems more fair you won't feel that way if you're the first guy to hear some news, get a tip or do some homework that gets you a step ahead of your competition. Nope, in that case you'll feel like you are being raped with a shovel as you have to stand there for hours/days while every two-bit with an opinion becomes aware of said player and posts/tweets/regurgitates what you knew long before them and even the most lackluster owner in a given league now has the ability to pick them up. Having been in the spot a time or two I can tell you it sucks far more than FCFS.

You don't have to agree. No problem. It's just that "waiting for others to catch up" doesn't really align itself with what this league is about.

Back to top Go down
Kansas City Kings

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:00 pm

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
While I can understand the feelings of those burned by FCFS, the alternative is easily worse.

Also, nobody has anything to say about things until it bites them.  If something irks you enough in principle you don't wait until it gets you to say something.  For instance...Victory Points.  I have been plenty vocal on them and they can't touch me.

While it's absolutely true that life can cause you to miss a window to gobble up some recently available player that stands out as a gem despite neck issues that suddenly aren't a potential issue, it may very well have been the universe saving you from yourself and letting some other poor bastard be fooled into doling out contract years into the abyss.

But I can tell you this with certainty...while in this moment a Blind Bid event seems more fair you won't feel that way if you're the first guy to hear some news, get a tip or do some homework that gets you a step ahead of your competition.  Nope, in that case you'll feel like you are being raped with a shovel as you have to stand there for hours/days while every two-bit with an opinion becomes aware of said player and posts/tweets/regurgitates what you knew long before them and even the most lackluster owner in a given league now has the ability to pick them up.  Having been in the spot a time or two I can tell you it sucks far more than FCFS.

You don't have to agree.  No problem.  It's just that "waiting for others to catch up" doesn't really align itself with what this league is about.  

I like FCFS but only because I have a pud job with a lot of downtime on my hands. FCFS is a pretty obvious advantage for folks with lax jobs or more days off during the week. To say that you got a heads up on the other owners and they had to "catch up or do Thier homework" is really non sense. Getting a jump on a player in FCFS has nothing to do with how good an owner you are and everything to do with how readily you have access to the internet at all times. That being said I read the by laws before I joined and knew I was good with it.

Back to top Go down
Latvia Unicorns

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:09 pm

Kansas City Kings wrote:

Also, nobody has anything to say about things until it bites them.  If something irks you enough in principle you don't wait until it gets you to say something.  For instance...Victory Points.  I have been plenty vocal on them and they can't touch me.

But I can tell you this with certainty...while in this moment a Blind Bid event seems more fair you won't feel that way if you're the first guy to hear some news, get a tip or do some homework that gets you a step ahead of your competition.  Nope, in that case you'll feel like you are being raped with a shovel as you have to stand there for hours/days while every two-bit with an opinion becomes aware of said player and posts/tweets/regurgitates what you knew long before them and even the most lackluster owner in a given league now has the ability to pick them up.  Having been in the spot a time or two I can tell you it sucks far more than FCFS.

You don't have to agree.  No problem.  It's just that "waiting for others to catch up" doesn't really align itself with what this league is about.  

I like FCFS but only because I have a pud job with a lot of downtime on my hands.  FCFS is a pretty obvious advantage for folks with lax jobs or more days off during the week.  To say that you got a heads up on the other owners and they had to "catch up or do Thier homework" is really non sense.  Getting a jump on a player in FCFS has nothing to do with how good an owner you are and everything to do with how readily you have access to the internet at all times.  That being said I read the by laws before I joined and knew I was good with it.

agree

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:56 pm

In the end, nothing's perfect.  As an example, what if we had a weekly waiver run but news broke an hour or two before waivers processed.  Did that really give everyone a fair chance at the player?  

The one thing that helps here, as Andy noted, is that you have to give the guy a contract if you pick him up.  So you can't just churn the roster every time you hear a news story.

I remember doing a live draft years ago -- well before people were connected to the internet all the time.  We were doing a redraft league in a local bar sometime in mid-August.    Several of the tvs in the bar were tuned into ESPN.  And it just happened that, just before my pick in one of the very late rounds, ESPN had "breaking news" that Ladell Betts had just been named the starter for the Redskins.  And I ended up getting a starting RB when others were picking kickers.  

It wasn't skill or being prepared -- just plain ole' luck.  But there really wasn't any way to take it out of the equation.  It's sort of the same thing here with Orr.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:15 am

Kansas City Kings wrote:
To say that you got a heads up on the other owners and they had to "catch up or do Thier homework" is really non sense.  

It could be. For instance, I have been tied up so everyone here was probably aware of the Orr story well before me. I shouldn't have had a few days for every hack with a voice to shout out the word to me when someone here was on top of it and ready to make a move to help their team. Everyone has a life to work around....and work around it we shall. As Russ said, something could break right before a blind bid event which would negate the entire purpose of having one therefore having one is pointless.

Back to top Go down
Carolina Werewolves

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:31 pm

Every league is different. I agree that FCFS fits into the league vision. I never had a issue with it when I was a member of the majors and won't in the minors.

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:53 pm

The only time I really have an issue with FCFS is when I want a player and someone else gets them first. Other than that it works out great for me.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:39 pm

Philadelphia Pigskins wrote:
The only time I really have an issue with FCFS is when I want a player and someone else gets them first. Other than that it works out great for me.

lol 2 Exactly. I feel ya.

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:56 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:28 pm

lol3 Gotta appreciate the honesty.

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:15 pm

Who brought this up anyway?

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:11 am

Back to top Go down
Polk High Panthers

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:10 am

I think Andy thinks Orr will be a top 5 LB again this year

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:26 pm

Out of curiosity, did we do away with the list of guys that were picked up when they were FAs? In other words, can you drop an NFL free agent without penalty without regard to whether he was a free agent when he was picked up?

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:32 am

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
Out of curiosity, did we do away with the list of guys that were picked up when they were FAs?  In other words, can you drop an NFL free agent without penalty without regard to whether he was a free agent when he was picked up?  

http://rosterwars.forumotion.com/t7526-2017-session-topic10-free-nflfa-drops-jan-2017

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:37 am

Thanks chief!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?   

Back to top Go down

Why do we have FCFS waivers in the offseason again?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Main RW Lobby-
Jump to: