:: I forgot my password
x

Share | 

Impact No PS Minor Lg?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MobTown Ravens

PostSubject: Impact No PS Minor Lg?   Thu May 25, 2017 5:32 am

There is no practice squad in the minor league as opposed to main league which has one.
Typically in a dynasty league you would find a PS as part of the concept for a DL is holding on to players for the long term until their value has reached a point to either move up to the active roster or be dropped.
So the initial assumption was that without a PS owners in the ML who aspired to move to the main league could be at a disadvantage as they hadn't been using a PS as part of their overall strategy.
In looking back at the league's previous years the majority of teams did not have players on PS for the long term. So in terms of using the PS for "holding" players for future value that seems to be discounted.

In that only drafted players can be placed on PS initially, until a contract is assigned, then it appears the purpose of PS is more of a temporary place, until decisions are made on contracts.
With the 1 copy of a player in each conference and the # of contract years allowed, it didn't appear that teams needed to stash players on the PS.

So what is the real value of the PS?

Thanks for responses.

Back to top Go down
http://www.gomariposa.org/ Online
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Impact No PS Minor Lg?   Thu May 25, 2017 5:54 am

This will be the first year for having a practice squad. There is no precedent for making past comparisons.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Impact No PS Minor Lg?   Thu May 25, 2017 6:29 am

Chaos and bedlam!

Back to top Go down
MobTown Ravens

PostSubject: Re: Impact No PS Minor Lg?   Thu May 25, 2017 6:52 am

Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:
This will be the first year for having a practice squad.  There is no precedent for making past comparisons.

In the main league, past seasons saw Taxi squad...aren't TS and PS once in the same?

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Impact No PS Minor Lg?   Thu May 25, 2017 6:59 am

MobTown Ravens wrote:
Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:
This will be the first year for having a practice squad.  There is no precedent for making past comparisons.

In the main league, past seasons saw Taxi squad...aren't TS and PS once in the same?

we had them - but that weren't used as they are now - they were pretty much just a place holder before (mostly for guys you knew you wouldn't start)

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Impact No PS Minor Lg?   Thu May 25, 2017 7:05 am

I guess it's the poaching that's new.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Impact No PS Minor Lg?   Thu May 25, 2017 8:16 am

Basically, what Eric said. The TS was used by a lot of owners to clear out the clutter in their rosters. But the guys counted against the cap and there was no mechanism for other owners to poach those players.

Back to top Go down
MobTown Ravens

PostSubject: Re: Impact No PS Minor Lg?   Thu May 25, 2017 9:01 am

So with no PS in the minor league, would mean that we aren't having poaching? Or poaching can be done on recently drafted players, with a contract, off the active roster?

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Impact No PS Minor Lg?   Thu May 25, 2017 11:12 am

MobTown Ravens wrote:
So with no PS in the minor league, would mean that we aren't having poaching?  Or poaching can be done on recently drafted players, with a contract, off the active roster?

I'm guessing no poaching.  Actually the Practice Squad & Poaching are brand new over here as well and I haven't participated in that yet either.

Back to top Go down
MobTown Ravens

PostSubject: Re: Impact No PS Minor Lg?   Thu May 25, 2017 11:28 am

It would seem that if the main purpose of Minors is to serve as a gateway to the Major lg., you'd want the Minor lg. to mirror the Major in total.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Impact No PS Minor Lg?   Thu May 25, 2017 12:39 pm

The PS and poaching are brand new to the Main League as they said. Before 2017, the ability to use the TS was turned on because it allowed owners to put players on it that then would not appear on the lineup submission screen...so just an organizational tool.

When designing the Minor League, two things were key. The first was to not just double the workload on me (or Carla) because some of the details that go into the Main League are very time consuming. The second is, while you're correct that we are trying to groom Minor League owners for the Main League, the Main League is supposed to have some "extras" so that being here is special on some level.

From there, I have two other thoughts. The first being that it's new so we need to see how it goes before acting like it's rock solid. We already have some owners that didn't want it or won't use it (that's fine) but I stand by the change because it gives value to every single draft pick whereas in the past we had folks wanting to "pass" on picks (which wasn't allowed) and now because of this PS system, that decision would be stupid (at least to most). The second thought is that going from one version (Minor League) to the other (Main League) should be about as difficult a transition as going from walking to walking while chewing some gum.

Hope that helps. No such thing as a bad question...unless you're....gotta pick somebody....Carla. laughing

Back to top Go down
MobTown Ravens

PostSubject: Re: Impact No PS Minor Lg?   Thu May 25, 2017 1:41 pm

Understood on all points, probably most have been in leagues using PS, poaching not so much. My experience on the later, poaching, in a salary/contract league I've been in for 3 years, is the norm is that the team owning the player, activates the player.
Thanks

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
The PS and poaching are brand new to the Main League as they said.  Before 2017, the ability to use the TS was turned on because it allowed owners to put players on it that then would not appear on the lineup submission screen...so just an organizational tool.

When designing the Minor League, two things were key.  The first was to not just double the workload on me (or Carla) because some of the details that go into the Main League are very time consuming.  The second is, while you're correct that we are trying to groom Minor League owners for the Main League, the Main League is supposed to have some "extras" so that being here is special on some level.

From there, I have two other thoughts.  The first being that it's new so we need to see how it goes before acting like it's rock solid.  We already have some owners that didn't want it or won't use it (that's fine) but I stand by the change because it gives value to every single draft pick whereas in the past we had folks wanting to "pass" on picks (which wasn't allowed) and now because of this PS system, that decision would be stupid (at least to most).  The second thought is that going from one version (Minor League) to the other (Main League) should be about as difficult a transition as going from walking to walking while chewing some gum.

Hope that helps.  No such thing as a bad question...unless you're....gotta pick somebody....Carla.  laughing

Back to top Go down
Carolina Werewolves

PostSubject: Re: Impact No PS Minor Lg?   Thu May 25, 2017 3:18 pm

I was originally concerned that the Minor League won't have this addition but after consideration of the idea that Roster Wars major needs to be special and unique it makes sense. As one of the owners in the Minors with no major league aspirations it is cool to just enjoy the format as is.

( I do want to earn my way to a change or two on my page. Mine is so dated. )

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Impact No PS Minor Lg?   

Back to top Go down

Impact No PS Minor Lg?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Main RW Lobby-
Jump to: