:: I forgot my password
x

Share | 

Andy Dalton QB CIN

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Mon May 21, 2012 8:52 am

I kinda root for the guy but at the same time this sums up my feelings about his prospects:

“I think there’s a sense right now, for a lot of people, that Dalton’s on his way toward being an elite quarterback,” NFL Films producer Greg Cosell told Yahoo! Sports. “I can tell you that those in the Bengals’ organization have a few doubts as to what his true upside is. Because at the end of the day, while I think Dalton is a good player, I think — not I think, I know — that he’s got some arm strength limitations.

“And there’s some things that they’re not comfortable doing with him.”

The league seemed to catch onto Dalton’s act about midway through his rookie year. In the Bengals’ final nine games, including the playoffs, Dalton completed just 169-of-301 passes (56.1 percent) for 1,959 yards (6.51 YPA) with seven touchdowns compared to 12 turnovers. Dalton roared out of the gates against a soft early-season schedule, only to flounder when the passing windows got smaller against stouter stretch-run defenses.

Link

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Mon May 21, 2012 9:54 am

I agree. I think Dalton ability is capped by his physical limitations. Then again, they said the same thing about Drew Brees about his height and arm strength. At this point I don't think anyone knows, but the difference between Brees and Dalton is Brees' ability to read the defense and have a lightning release (which makes up for his lack of arm strength). I didn't see that with Dalton last year. I think he'll have a long NFL career about mid-pack in terms of QB effectiveness, but I don't he'll ever be elite or even a top tier NFL QB.

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Mon May 21, 2012 10:27 am

Supposedly Brees's arm strength has improved, esp after the surgery. Hard to figure how that will go with Dalton and whether he will find a coach who plays to his strength like Brees + Payton

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:06 pm

Quote :
Speaking in a Tuesday radio interview, Bengals OC Jay Gruden conceded Andy Dalton has "a long way to go." Analysis: "He's done some great things for a second-year quarterback. ... But we feel like he has not come close to his potential," Gruden said. "That's our job to get it out of him. And he knows he's gotta play better." Gruden specifically mentioned Dalton's touch and deep-ball accuracy as things he must improve. Dalton's weak arm makes the latter unlikely to get better.

Green is going to continue to suffer due to Dalton's erratic deep throws. He's open SO often and Dalton just can't hit him.

Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:54 pm

Jersey Legionnaires wrote:
Quote :
Speaking in a Tuesday radio interview, Bengals OC Jay Gruden conceded Andy Dalton has "a long way to go." Analysis: "He's done some great things for a second-year quarterback. ... But we feel like he has not come close to his potential," Gruden said. "That's our job to get it out of him. And he knows he's gotta play better." Gruden specifically mentioned Dalton's touch and deep-ball accuracy as things he must improve. Dalton's weak arm makes the latter unlikely to get better.

Green is going to continue to suffer due to Dalton's erratic deep throws. He's open SO often and Dalton just can't hit him.
Maybe Green needs to slow down a little and help out his QB instead of being a little B$tch? Huh? huh? ya!

Back to top Go down
San Diego Killers

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:25 pm

Dude I thought Dalton was pretty solid. Watched the Chargers Bengals game and made a couple mistakes but always somehow got out of trouble and threw it away

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:47 am

Quote :
(Rotoworld)Bengals.com's Geoff Hobson believes new OC Hue Jackson intends to "take the load off" Andy Dalton, and reduce his pass attempts from last year's 586 to "closer to Russell Wilson's number of 407."
Analysis: Hobson believes the Bengals may scrap Jay Gruden's old high-volume short to intermediate passing game, and allow the "running game to open up the deep ball." This, of course, is Jackson's offense. He's a power-run coach with vertical leanings in the passing attack. Turning Dalton into a low-volume game manager would significantly curb Dalton's fantasy appeal. It would also almost certainly curb the Bengals' team turnover rate.

If they really limit his pass attempts that much, it could be a real downturn for his fantasy value, its not like he can make up some of those stats by running like Wilson can... Sounds like they will keep throwing deep so probably AJ maintains his value. Most likely this probably hits the #2 and #3 WR, and the TE's value the hardest. AJ and Gio are the playmakers so they will get theirs, looks like everyone else might be fighting for the scraps...

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:43 pm

It sounds like they dont really trust Dalton. If the Bengals had a stud QB, that offense would be unstoppable.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:02 am

Quote :
Cincinnati and Bengals QB Andy Dalton reached agreement on a 6-year, $115 million contract, per two sources.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:56 am

The Bengals have always insisted that Dalton was still their guy... I guess this backs that up. Looking at his numbers he has been very productive his problem has just been during the playoffs, not unlike Peyton Manning early in his career... Of course, Dalton is no Peyton, but there is still time for Dalton to improve his postseson performances... or so the Bengals hope anyways!

Back to top Go down
Baja Beatniks

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:18 am

Agree that he's been productive and they could certainly do much worse.

Back to top Go down
Vegas Beach Tiger Sharks

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:25 am

Devils Tower Outlaws wrote:
The Bengals have always insisted that Dalton was still their guy...   I guess this backs that up.   Looking at his numbers he has been very productive his problem has just been during the playoffs,  not unlike Peyton Manning early in his career (except for that one year)...  Of course,   Dalton is no Peyton,  but there is still time for Dalton to improve his postseson performances...  or so the Bengals hope anyways!

Fixed for you.

I actually do like Peyton, even as a Patriots fan, but the guy tends to wilt in the biggest playoff moments way more often than not.

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:13 pm

Bengals fans can look forward to many more 8-10 win seasons with 1 and done playoff runs
Congratulations...  mock 

Back to top Go down
JosephO

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:06 pm

1 td 6 int in the playoffs... that said I wish he was the Browns starting QB :(

Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:57 pm

No love for Manziel? There are close to 20M incentives in the 115M so it's not ridiculous.

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:29 pm

Has anyone broken down the guaranteed $? Big numbers mean nothing. That may be what Han Yang just did but he wrote Manziel so I have no idea.

Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:45 am

Yeah sorry. Was just poking fun at Joe.

96M/6 years base value. 19M incentives related to playoffs.
Profootballtalk

Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:30 pm

GOD I'm glad I'm not a Bengals fan. That ridiculous money for a turd of a QB. If this turd is worth this money than Rodgers is a billion dollar QB

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:22 pm

I am not sure why people seem to think so poorly of Dalton as a QB, perhaps it is just horrible playoff performances? Because when you actually look at the numbers he has put up in his first 3 seasons while going 30-18 and making the playoffs, it is actually pretty impressive...

For shits and giggles, I compared his first three seasons with Peyton Manning:
Peyton: 60.4 comp pct; 12,287 yds; 85 TD - 58 INT; 85.5 qb rating
Andy D: 60.1 comp pct; 11,360 yds; 80 TD - 49 INT; 85.7 qb rating

Peyton made the playoffs twice while Dalton has made the playoffs each of the first 3 years, and of course another similarity to Peyton is 3 straight one-and-dones in the first 3 playoff games...

Pretty similar stats and a favorable comparison I think, of course I am not saying Dalton is in the same class as Manning, just pointing out that Dalton's stats and winning record are better than he typically gets credit for, and it may still be too early to simply write him off, he just might be able to turn his playoff career around... I don't think I would bet on it, but it is still a possibility, especially since the Bengals seem dead set on sticking with him...

Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:09 am

The Bengals go to the playoffs in spite of Dalton not because of him. Have you watched him play, he can't make the tough throws consistently enough. They have good enough weapons to be a much better team. I think the offense is limited by him at times, they have to be more conservative because of the throws he can't make

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:41 pm

If you watch the guy play that's what leads you to believe he is not a superbowl winning QB
Numbers are a little deceiving... (evidenced by the game to game extremes)

Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:13 pm

agree The Bengals would need an elite defense for them to win a SB with Dalton.

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:54 pm

From what I have heard, it's essentially a 2 year, $25 million deal.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:52 am

So which is it, the numbers don't lie or the numbers are deceiving? I happen to think the truth is somewhere in between. I don't think Dalton will ever be a top QB and winning a super bowl would be unlikely, however he is far from a terrible turd of a QB... That title is reserved for QB's that actually suck, you know, like Teeebooow!  Laughing 

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:46 pm

Thumb injury. Out for the game at minimum.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:36 am

This injury killed me in two leagues this week. I'm not a Bengals fan but you have to feel bad for them. This is very reminiscent of the Palmer injury in the playoffs -- the Bengals are a favorite heading into the playoffs and get derailed by a QB injury.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:02 am

Did he lose it? He surely can't start if this continues, right?

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:53 am

I'm not sure if he ever really had "it." He's been an average QB at best during the majority of his career. He's locked up for 3 more years but his signing bonus was only $12 million (on a 6-year deal) so that cap hit isn't huge if they cut him. I could see the Bengals playing McCarron to see what he can do before he becomes a free agent next year and exploring trading Dalton to another team (such as the Jets) that really needs a QB.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:50 am

But I mean, before this year he was not a guy that you considered not worthy of a starting spot in the NFL. He looks as if he does not belong.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:58 am

No, he's been certainly worth a starting spot but that's because there aren't 32 guys in this world that can play QB at a high enough level. But he's probably the worst type of QB that you can have -- bad enough that he's not going to win you a title, but good enough that you get complacent and stop looking for something better. It's the one fear that I've had with Tannehill on the Dolphins, and I'm hoping that his injury opens their eyes to better options.

Remember, the Patriots would never have started Brady if Bledsoe didn't get injured.

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:24 am

The sideline shots of him towards the end of the game made it look like he didn't care one way or another to what happened out on the field.  No disgust, no anger, no firing up the team, no smacking the teammates around at the 2 minute warning telling them we got this.  He just kind of stood there with a blank stare.  And nobody came up to him to tell him let's do this.  His sideline demeanor is what I noticed last night.  Not sure what's going on.

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:05 pm

He was definitely not part of the African rebuild plan

Back to top Go down
Tenafly Vipers

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:13 pm

What's the difference between Andy Dalton and Blake Bortles other than AJ Green?

Back to top Go down
North Carolina Cobras

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:22 pm

Though this may be biased since I own the red-headed former Horned Frog, I am not sure there was much more he could have done. I am shocked he only got sacked 3 times. And though his 57% completion isn't great it is better than Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Joe Flacco and Cam Newton's week 1 percentages. Factor in fact that over half of his 15 incompletions were throwaways under distress including 4 consecutive in the red zone. Its just a bad O-line that I am not sure any current NFL QB would put up 60% or higher completion numbers.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:10 am

Tenafly Vipers wrote:
What's the difference between Andy Dalton and Blake Bortles other than AJ Green?

The difference is Allen Robinson on IR. Other than that Dalton sucks more donkey balls.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Andy Dalton QB CIN   

Back to top Go down

Andy Dalton QB CIN
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Player talk-
Jump to: