:: I forgot my password

Share | 

Beer Con Collin

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tenafly Vipers

PostSubject: Beer Con Collin   Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:49 pm

Any beer douches in the group?

Got a growler of some tasty clouds the other day from my favorite local brewery, Monkish down in Torrence. They started out doing a lot of Belgians and sours, but they really hit their stride with these Vermont-style hazy IPAs. They use a couple different brewery methods to remove most of the bitterness and malty sweetness from the hops and grains, so what's left tastes basically like peach juice with bite.

This is their Spock It IPA. Looks like a beeswax candle in the glass and tastes like an orgasm.

What are you guys drinking this afternoon?

Back to top Go down
Carolina Silverbacks

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:52 pm

I love beer. I'm not super knowledgeable about them but love me a good IPA. We live in Charlotte and there's tons of breweries. I like to try different beers. Can't really get into anything too thick or heavy tasting like a lot of stouts.

Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:07 pm

Nice lookin' growler Collin...Here's mine:

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:11 pm

Collin, I'm sure Ed can locate it but there is actually a fairly long thread about craft beers here. I checked in every now and then when it was active but there were some great suggestions.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:12 pm

HUGE brewery beer fan here.  We go to ALL of them, but have our favorites.  I have to say Tom and Collin both have some unique growlers.  I have one all stainless steel one but the others we have seem common.  

We like IPAs but I am very high on certain stouts if they are not too sweet and not too heavy.

Ever tried a BLACK IPA?  I recommend them.  Maybe not everyone but the few different ones in our town I have had I have enjoyed.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:15 pm

This is the latest we bought from 3 Floyds. We bought a case.  It felt like it was 4000.00 but not really LOL

Back to top Go down
Tenafly Vipers

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:18 pm

Oaktown Malosos wrote:
Nice lookin' growler Collin...Here's mine:

Talk about tastes like an orgasm. 1st

Back to top Go down
Kalamazoo Nukes

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:38 pm

I love craft beer. I've turned into a beer snob over the last few years. There are tons of brewery to choose from in SW Michigan. Our local and favorite one is One Well Brewing. Tomorrow is National Whoppy Day!  cheers

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:38 pm

I just got back from Asheville. Wow that is a brewery town

Back to top Go down
Tenafly Vipers

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:43 pm

Indiana Mayhem wrote:

This is the latest we bought from 3 Floyds. We bought a case.  It felt like it was 4000.00 but not really LOL

Nice! Their Zombie Dust is a grail I have yet to tic. Love that brewery.

Back to top Go down
Kalamazoo Nukes

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:44 pm

Back to top Go down
Maplewood Doppelgangers

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:09 pm

I love craft beer and I brew my own, but my go to is Coors light. Cheap and gets the job done!

Back to top Go down
Maple Grove Mean Machine

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:32 pm

I'm drinking VooDoo Ranger from New Belgium Brewing Company. I've got Sierra Nevada's Hop Hunter in the fridge, chillin.

Back to top Go down
Denver Demons

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:51 am

If it's an ACTUAL beer, I'll drink it. The Germans know what the hell they're doing though, so any hefeweisen is as good as drank. Semi-related, I collect shotglasses and currently have 100+. My favorite is one I got in The Vatican.

Not too far from Asheville NC either, like Matt mentioned. Can confirm. Those hippies like their craft brews. Also a good area for small distilleries. One of my absolute favorite gins is from a small place between there and Charlotte: Cardinal Gin.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:08 am

Tenafly Vipers wrote:
Indiana Mayhem wrote:

Nice! Their Zombie Dust is a grail I have yet to tic. Love that brewery.

Zombie Dust is sold around here in the bars.  Not every bar but you can get it in one of 3 easily.  Have had that several times.  One of my top favorites.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:13 am

Maple Grove Mean Machine wrote:
I'm drinking VooDoo Ranger from New Belgium Brewing Company. I've got Sierra Nevada's Hop Hunter in the fridge, chillin.

I never knew Sierra Nevada had sooooooo many beers.  Around here we usually get 2 or 3 at most unless we get a 12 pack seasonal. I went to Florida and they offered Nooner, which I tried and loved.  Pete (another member here and good good friend) gets various selections of Sierra Nevada in his area of the country.

2 hrs from here is Founders  AWESOME Beer there.  We are going to take a trip this summer there, but just because I havent been there officially doesnt mean I havent tasted their beer.  If you ever heard of it in your area you likely know ALL DAY IPA or Arrogant Bastard.

They have so much more than that which we get in our bars around here....luckily.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:22 am

I'm from Wisco, so that should tell you all you need to know. We used to have a pretty long beer thread.

Back to top Go down
Kalamazoo Nukes

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:44 am

Maplewood Doppelgangers wrote:
I love craft beer and I brew my own, but my go to is Coors light. Cheap and gets the job done!

Ben, what have you brewed?

I just started brewing at the beginning of the year. I've made 4 batches so far.

Back to top Go down
Tenafly Vipers

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:43 am

We're going to start brewing soon. Do you guys go buckets or glass carboys? I have people who swear by the buckets because they hate breaking the carboys, but it seems like plastic would change the flavor of the beer. What do you guys think?

Back to top Go down
Maplewood Doppelgangers

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:09 am

Tenafly Vipers wrote:
We're going to start brewing soon. Do you guys go buckets or glass carboys? I have people who swear by the buckets because they hate breaking the carboys, but it seems like plastic would change the flavor of the beer. What do you guys think?

I use buckets and a plastic carboy, never used a glass one, but I haven't ever had an issue with changing a flavor. Just sanitize really good!

Back to top Go down
Kalamazoo Nukes

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:32 am

Tenafly Vipers wrote:

I only use glass carboys. Plastic can get scratched real easily and then bacteria can infect your beer. Glass is really heavy but if you buy the handle to go on it, it's really not to bad to carry. Santizing the glass carboys is really easy, I haven't had an issue yet

Back to top Go down
Kalamazoo Nukes

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:18 pm

First 80+ degree day of the year in MI and I'm enjoying the first mug out of my newly finished Cider! vote yes cheers

Back to top Go down
Edinburgh Galacticos

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:40 pm

Hey Collin I heard California has a real craft beer scene these days. Probably all the hipsters.

Have you heard of Brewdog? They are this British brewery and chain of bars and they just got bought out by this american company for like $1 billion. I think they are opening half a dozen bars in LA / California as part of the Acquisition. The bars they have here in the UK are awesome.

Back to top Go down
Tenafly Vipers

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:12 pm

Hey, Paul. I haven't heard of Brewdog, but looking at their website I would love for one to open in LA as long as they offer other breweries' beers. LA doesn't have a great bar culture, partly because everything is so spread out that people don't want to get that drunk and drive. And there's the healthy living bullshit that's so inherent to California. But also because it's such a transplant city, and people from all over are sort of thrown together, so there aren't really any neighborhoods with homogeneous cultures that would encourage a bar to specialize and be, for instance, "the Texas bar."

What I miss most about New York is the ability to go to the quiet bar on the corner, almost any corner, and work at night while nursing four or five beers and keeping an eye on ESPN in the corner.

You are right about the craft beer scene, though. It is basically one of the Lands of Great Beer. You've got the aforementioned Monkish, Russian River, Kern River, Lost Abby, Sante Adarius, Bottle Logic, Modern Times, Mikkeller has a spot now, Abnormal, Alesmith, Alpine (bought by Green Flash, but still good), Beachwood, Phantom Carriage, Noble Ale, Highland Park, etc etc.

Back to top Go down
Carolina Silverbacks

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:20 pm

The thing I love about the breweries here in Charlotte is they are a family event. Kids and dogs at all of them. It's different than the bars were up in Ohio.

Back to top Go down
Tenafly Vipers

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Mon May 01, 2017 1:34 am

Went to Clippers/Jazz game 7 today. Happy to see Utah pull it out. I like that team a lot, and I think they have the best chance to take a game or two off the Warriors before the conference finals. As fun as it would have been to see the Clippers annihilated by Golden State on their home court -- and in front of 30,000 Warriors fans because Golden State travels as well as any team in the league right now -- I'd rather see how the somewhat mysterious Jazz play the matchups.

Plus, Utah is playing with house money. They may just be crazy enough to think they can win. The Clippers play like a team who all know there's no point. Oh well.

To toast the second round, I opened up a bottle if this Firestone Parabola, imperial stout. Big molasses, chocolate, and booze. Rounds out to nuttiness and caramel. One of the best stouts I've ever had.

Cheers!  beer

Back to top Go down
Carolina Silverbacks

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:10 pm

Tonight is the first meeting of the Charlotte "book" club. This is a club for beer lovers, no reading required. It sounds better and less Alcoholics Anonymous than saying I'm gonna hang out with a bunch of guys and drink beer for hours. Just say you're going to "book" club. A lot of members are busy tonight but the few that can make it are excited. My friends up in Ohio started it and since I can't be there I started my own. Anybody do something similar?

Back to top Go down
Manhattan Beach Militia

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:52 pm

Until about four years ago, the only "beer" I liked was anything light.  Since that time, I have fallen in love with craft beers and IPAs.

Seems like every week I try a new one.  But, then again, I fall back to what I know.

Love Dogfish Head.  My favorite at the moment is Flesh and Blood.  Highly recommend you give it a try.

[/url]

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:30 pm

Another craft beer snob here. We were just in Kalamazoo a few weeks back hitting up the breweries.

Going to be starting my first Porter batch in the next week or 2. Never brewed a dark beer...which is odd since most of what I drink are porters, stouts, and IPA's.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:27 am

Southside Spartans wrote:
Another craft beer snob here.  We were just in Kalamazoo a few weeks back hitting up the breweries.  

Going to be starting my first Porter batch in the next week or 2.  Never brewed a dark beer...which is odd since most of what I drink are porters, stouts, and IPA's.

First off Michigan has some wonderful breweries. Even the small ones that dont get the publicity like Founders/Bells.

We love Right Brain in Traverse City we visited last October. Some of the best beer I have tasted and we LOVE breweries. One thing they do is combine 2 or 3 brews and give it a new twist and name. One I had was their Snickers recipe. Didnt really taste like snickers but I could see how they thought it might.

CEO Stout there was great.

Did you by chance go to the Exchange in KZoo sparty? We have been wanting to go but have not made it yet. I guess they put beer prices on screens like the stock market and the prices change on the hour. Sounds kinda neat.

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:25 pm

We didn't go this trip but I've been there a few times.  Yeah it's pretty fun if want a variety of different brewers.  Last trip we went to some of the lesser known ones.  Always a good time there.

Back to top Go down
Tenafly Vipers

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:17 pm

This is pretty much on-topic.

Swedish brewery names beer 'F*** you I'm Millwall' in tribute to man who fought London Bridge attackers

They're calling this guy "The Lion of London Bridge." During the London Bridge attack, the terrorists ran into a pub where this Millwall soccer fan was drinking. He charged all three terrorists while screaming, "Fuck you, I'm Millwall!" Everyone else in the restaurant was able to escape out the back during the fight.

Would love to get a couple of these cans in his honor.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:36 pm

We didn't go this trip but I've been there a few times.  Yeah it's pretty fun if want a variety of different brewers.  Last trip we went to some of the lesser known ones.  Always a good time there.

Have you been to Greenbush or Public House (Round Barn's brewery, not just wine anymore)?

Back to top Go down
Denver Demons

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:24 pm

Tenafly Vipers wrote:
This is pretty much on-topic.

Swedish brewery names beer 'F*** you I'm Millwall' in tribute to man who fought London Bridge attackers

They're calling this guy "The Lion of London Bridge." During the London Bridge attack, the terrorists ran into a pub where this Millwall soccer fan was drinking. He charged all three terrorists while screaming, "Fuck you, I'm Millwall!" Everyone else in the restaurant was able to escape out the back during the fight.

Would love to get a couple of these cans in his honor.

Holy shit. That's so English and I'm not sure if its stupid to do something like that or badass. I'm gonna go with a bit of both. Idk how this hasn't circulated on the internet more yet

Back to top Go down
Carolina Silverbacks

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:17 pm

I saw an interview with him. Fucking hilarious and awesome.

Back to top Go down
Polk High Panthers

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:09 pm

Manhattan Beach Patriots wrote:
Until about four years ago, the only "beer" I liked was anything light.  Since that time, I have fallen in love with craft beers and IPAs.

Seems like every week I try a new one.  But, then again, I fall back to what I know.

Love Dogfish Head.  My favorite at the moment is Flesh and Blood.  Highly recommend you give it a try.

Dogfish is my go to beer.

Back to top Go down
Kalamazoo Nukes

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:22 am

Another craft beer snob here.  We were just in Kalamazoo a few weeks back hitting up the breweries.  

Going to be starting my first Porter batch in the next week or 2.  Never brewed a dark beer...which is odd since most of what I drink are porters, stouts, and IPA's.

You came to my town to drink beer and didn't even let me know! Mad

I'm spoiled with all the great breweries here. My favorite is One Well Brewing. vote yes

Back to top Go down
Kalamazoo Nukes

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:29 am

I'm also going to be trying my first porter soon too. Im gonna try a maple bacon porter. Currently on tap I have my own cider and my own agave ale.

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:58 pm

Yeah I think One Well is my favorite also. When we were there we spent time there, Tibbs, and Gonzo's. Wife is a big fan of the vanilla porter they have at Gonzo's.

We usually make it to KZoo a few times a year so I'll let you know next time.

Back to top Go down
Polk High Panthers

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:40 am

Just got my orders (finally) back to Washington state... Cant wait to get back to all the microbrews in the area

I googled what state had the most craft brews so I could plan our trip out and there were quite a few surprises.

https://vinepair.com/articles/map-states-ranked-craft-beer-breweries/
https://www.brewersassociation.org/statistics/by-state/

Back to top Go down
Tenafly Vipers

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:50 pm

Watching figure skating with the wife, but managed to scoop these Omnipollo Noa Pecan Mud Cake cans at the liquor store this afternoon. It's an imperial stout with lots of chocolate, nilla, some graham cracker flavors, other shit. It's the definition of a pastry stout, but damn my tongue it's so good.

What're ya'll drinking?

Back to top Go down
Maplewood Doppelgangers

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:22 am

Tenafly Vipers wrote:
Watching figure skating with the wife, but managed to scoop these Omnipollo Noa Pecan Mud Cake cans at the liquor store this afternoon. It's an imperial stout with lots of chocolate, nilla, some graham cracker flavors, other shit. It's the definition of a pastry stout, but damn my tongue it's so good.

What're ya'll drinking?

I can't do chocolate/vanilla/coffee flavor. I wish I liked them.

I'm just drinking my usual!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beer Con Collin   

Back to top Go down

Beer Con Collin
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Free For All-
Jump to: