HomeLog inRegisterFAQSearch
x
x
x
x
x
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
x

Share | 
 

 How can we improve our front porch?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Minnesota Eternals
 
 
avatar

Posts : 23398

PostSubject: How can we improve our front porch?   Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:19 pm

As we try to recruit new people to check us out, I am wondering what else we can do to help new people understand what we're doing here and feel comfortable and confident about jumping in.

For those that very new, your feedback is absolutely welcome. What was tricky? What almost made you leave?

I'm wondering if I should do more in the way of the step by step process to get them in and started. For those that remember the contest for best dynasty league in the world that we won, I regret not capturing all the great comments by you owners as I think ya'll can sell the league better than I can since I'll be viewed as biased. Thinking maybe I should add a thread to the FRONT PORCH where you guys can describe RW in your own words for guests and newbies to read and relate to....

I also intend to follow up with those folks who join the forum but never actually post or get involved....maybe a few of them can enlighten me on what turned them off...and maybe some of it is something I can do something about...


Back to top Go down
Carolina Silverbacks
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1258

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:30 pm

The site is impressive to be sure. It is vibrant but somewhat overwhelming. It can take a few times to adjust to the layout and navigating. Not sure if there is any way to change anything but I think it really screams first class.

I sort of wish there was a brief, bullet point type synopsis of the league with all the pertinent details so people can figure out if it's a fit quickly. Some may not want to read through the bylaws in order to figure it all out but then again maybe that's not the type of owners you seek.

It took me a bit to find costs of the league. Overall it is really great and the front porch helped me out greatly. Email communication was great. That was probably the best way of understanding the league. Not to mention reading each bylaw was required reading multiple times to even fully grasp what is expected from the league.

Overall I think it is setup and pretty user friendly. I think the type of owner we want will take the time to figure it out. However we could lose out on someone that gets confused or misunderstands something.

We need like a welcoming committee to help answer newb questions and help them get familiar with things. This way it's not all on the commish and they may be better prepared for the interview process.

Hope this helps somehow.


Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals
 
 
avatar

Posts : 23398

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:08 pm

Great post Matt. Thanks.

That also reminds me..and to go along with your bullet-points idea...would be a FAQ section....

While I do want those willing to look into things deeper and not be lazy and so forth...I can understand that for some it would be helpful to have a very condensed version so they spot good/bad attributes quickly. We're not trying to trick anyone or force anyone in here so being helpful to guests so they can determine if they should run for the hills or go deeper down the rabbit hole is good for everyone.


Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5547

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:12 pm

The one thing that I've heard from some people is that they don't like the popup when you first come to the site.


Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos
 
 
avatar

Posts : 2773

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:57 pm

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
The one thing that I've heard from some people is that they don't like the popup when you first come to the site.  

Hmmm...I thought Andy took that down???



Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks
 
 
avatar

Posts : 3428

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:56 am

Carolina Silverbacks wrote:


We need like a welcoming committee to help answer newb questions and help them get familiar with things. This way it's not all on the commish and they may be better prepared for the interview process.


When I read your post Andy, this was the first thing I thought of too.  Maybe having somebody's contact info in the Front Porch that could answer any questions that a looky-loo may have. 

I really think it's all type of different things that will attract people to RW.  For me, I had never played IDP before, and wasn't even that savvy on fantasy football.  I just knew I wanted to be somewhere that was a community of all kinds of folks that had a common like (i.e. fantasy football).  It was the overall look of the site that hooked me, because that meant this place was built for the long haul.  I've already been in too many startup dynasty leagues that disappear as fast as they are born.  Heck, I didn't even understand all the Bylaws, War Bucks, Contract Years, and other intricate stuff when I joined.  I just loved the look and feel of the community. 

It may help having something in the Front Porch that says:  "Hey, if you have any questions, anything at all, just shoot (insert name here) an e-mail and he will get right back to you and answer any questions you may have.


Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem
 
 
avatar

Posts : 6079

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:34 am

I think the site is VERY overwhelming at first.  Do they see less threads or can they see less threads in a phase 1 owner view?

Many of these folks are coming from other forums or twitter or are our friends.  When I visit other forums I basically have 2-3 threads I look to and never even go into the others. EVER.  There are no posting requirements there so nobody cares where I visit.  Here they feel like they cant miss anything so they are trying to touch everything.  It is more of a quantity click not a quality click to read them.

NOW....I still think they should be allowed everywhere but maybe phase 1 could be dummy'd down with still plenty for them to find their niche' at first.




Last edited by Indiana Mayhem on Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem
 
 
avatar

Posts : 6079

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:40 am

On a separate thought ALL YEAR ROUND activity sounds great, but it doesnt mean the same thing to everyone.  When you advertise  out there you simply cannot explain this league in 144 characters or one thread on a forum.  This league is not for everyone, but who it is for will love they found their way here.


Back to top Go down
Edinburgh Galacticos
 
 
avatar

Posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:17 am

Hi Andy,
Not sure about the front porch but I have to admit recently not being as involved as I or you would want.
I think the problem for me has been once the new season got underway for the main league guys or the new people who got into the main league, that has been so consuming for everyone that the other people not yet in a league can feel a bit left out.

Partly this will solve itself because the Minor League is becoming a Dynasty league, which means there should be year round activity even for those not involved in the main league.

In terms of welcoming new people and making them 'stick' I think everyone does a good job of welcoming people. Helping people stick should be just about getting them involved in as many different areas of the site as possible.

Maybe an idea would be to have a couple of threads of like 'where do you live' - 'what do you do' that kind of thing and when people set up you then instruct them to get involved in x threads to update us on some more about them - hopefully lead to more interaction, involvement etc.


Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1824

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:33 am

I know in the grand scheme of things I am pretty new, but I can't remember what it was that made me actually sign up. I know that it was a post by Nick on DLF that got me here, and it did seem pretty intimidating. Having never played IDP and only having one dynasty league I felt way behind the eight ball, thinking I would be competing against the best of the best and I wouldn't be able to hang. (This still might be the case, I guess we will see). I was drawn more to the message boards initially because I was getting pretty bored over on DLF. I'll be honest that I also didn't truly appreciate the look of the website initially because that isn't something that I would normally notice. I was more about the content than the look. I am an extrovert by nature so jumping in and pretending I belonged in places wasn't too difficult for me, but I could see how it could be intimidating for others. I think contact info for someone who can answer questions before someone joins may be helpful. Knowing you can get a response from one person might be less intimidating than coming onto a message board with 100ish fantasy football nuts.


Back to top Go down
Carolina Silverbacks
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1258

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:37 am

Edinburgh Galacticos wrote:
Maybe an idea would be to have a couple of threads of like 'where do you live' - 'what do you do' that kind of thing and when people set up you then instruct them to get involved in x threads to update us on some more about them - hopefully lead to more interaction, involvement etc.

I like this idea a lot. The league concept hooked me and the people kept me on the line. So more of a chance to interact with new people will make them feel more comfortable and I think stay in the long run.


Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7148

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:58 am

Ideas:

1) Sty should make a recruitment video
2) Having an 'ad' link that we can send people to that has all the info in one place might be helpful. There is so much to include its sometimes tough to encapsulate it in a post about the league, so getting it together in Andy's words wouldn't hurt.
3) Maybe new approved guys could help keep some non-RFA threads going? Strike up some new Free For All threads so there is something to talk about.
4) Maybe a Q&A thread in general for bylaws and how things run would be a good topic for newbies and prospects.

I don't mind being a point person if new owners have questions


Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters
 
 
avatar

Posts : 3335

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:16 am

Philadelphia Pigskins wrote:
Strike up some new Free For All threads so there is something to talk about.

Or revive some old ones.  laughing


Back to top Go down
North Wales Knights
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1600

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:20 am

I can only speak for my experience (obviously), but I was drawn in by the community and the forum.  However, it was a bit of a Catch-22 for me personally.  Being the new guy, I was encouraged to jump in and join the posting, but I felt like an outsider in a tight-knit groups of individuals.  I am not one to easily acclimate and open up, so I found this difficult, despite my desire to belong.

What really helped me was a discussion with Corey.  He sent an email with his number and we texted back and forth for a bit.  I was able to ask questions and he made me feel so much more at ease about the process and how to feel and become more a part of the league.  

I know Andy would have answered any questions I had, but I felt silly and didnt want to come across as dumb that I had to ask the Commish questions about "how to be more active" or "how to feel like part of the group".  The fact that Corey reached out and really anticipated my questions and could answer them was a huge help to me.  I almost saw him as a RW Mentor who helped me through the 1st couple weeks/months.

Im sure we have plenty of guys willing/able to do that for a newbie.  Maybe that can even become an official role. A group of members who help with guidelines and offer "lifelines" to the new guys to help bring them more into the fold, not just on the forum, but in more 1-1 avenues.  

Im sure not all prospects will need it.  I mean we have new guys like Bern who have more posts in a few months than I have in a year.  And I'm sure Nick and many others had no problems jumping in with both feet.  But for those that struggle, a more direct helping hand may be enough to get them through the first couple months and make them feel more like they belong.

Just my 2cents


Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5547

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:20 am

One thing that I do note that I think that we do well is that most people jump in to welcome you quickly and strike up conversation. For those that want to get involved, there is plenty of opportunity. But maybe we focus the initial discussions on small parts of Roster Wars, such as "check out this thread, there's some great conversation going on" along with a link.

In contrast, in most of my other leagues, you're lucky if 3 or 4 people post "welcome" on the league chat after you have joined and paid.


Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters
 
 
avatar

Posts : 3335

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:21 am

Philadelphia Pigskins wrote:
I don't mind being a point person if new owners have questions

Or so that this task doesn't fall on one person's shoulders, perhaps Andy could assign a different "mentor" to each new person who will answer all their questions and guide them through the process.


Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants
 
 
avatar

Posts : 11015

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:25 am

North Wales Knights wrote:

What really helped me was a discussion with Corey.  He sent an email with his number and we texted back and forth for a bit.  I was able to ask questions and he made me feel so much more at ease about the process and how to feel and become more a part of the league.  

Same. This made me feel welcome and that I had a point person that I could ask anything.


Back to top Go down
North Wales Knights
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1600

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:28 am

Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:
Philadelphia Pigskins wrote:
I don't mind being a point person if new owners have questions

Or so that this task doesn't fall on one person's shoulders, perhaps Andy could assign a different "mentor" to each new person who will answer all their questions and guide them through the process.

As I said in my post, I think having a group of experienced owners that are willing to be mentors to a new recruit would be a great step. Then just assign each new owner a mentor from that group. This way no one individual gets overwhelmed.


Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters
 
 
avatar

Posts : 3335

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:38 am

North Wales Knights wrote:
I felt like an outsider in a tight-knit groups of individuals

I did as well so I decided to revive old threads as a way to make it seem as if I was part of the original discussions all along.  I figured it could either help guys get to know me and start interacting with me or have them think I was a fucktard, but either way I would at least know where I stood.  Yes, I am mocked for this but I do recommend that new guys peruse the old threads - I find that it helps to get to know everyone better and is a great way to learn more about the league.


Back to top Go down
Edinburgh Galacticos
 
 
avatar

Posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:41 am

North Wales Knights wrote:
I can only speak for my experience (obviously), but I was drawn in by the community and the forum.  However, it was a bit of a Catch-22 for me personally.  Being the new guy, I was encouraged to jump in and join the posting, but I felt like an outsider in a tight-knit groups of individuals.  I am not one to easily acclimate and open up, so I found this difficult, despite my desire to belong.

What really helped me was a discussion with Corey.  He sent an email with his number and we texted back and forth for a bit.  I was able to ask questions and he made me feel so much more at ease about the process and how to feel and become more a part of the league.  

I know Andy would have answered any questions I had, but I felt silly and didnt want to come across as dumb that I had to ask the Commish questions about "how to be more active" or "how to feel like part of the group".  The fact that Corey reached out and really anticipated my questions and could answer them was a huge help to me.  I almost saw him as a RW Mentor who helped me through the 1st couple weeks/months.

Im sure we have plenty of guys willing/able to do that for a newbie.  Maybe that can even become an official role. A group of members who help with guidelines and offer "lifelines" to the new guys to help bring them more into the fold, not just on the forum, but in more 1-1 avenues.  

Im sure not all prospects will need it.  I mean we have new guys like Bern who have more posts in a few months than I have in a year.  And I'm sure Nick and many others had no problems jumping in with both feet.  But for those that struggle, a more direct helping hand may be enough to get them through the first couple months and make them feel more like they belong.

Just my 2cents

Hey Joe good points and nice to know I'm not the only one who has felt like that. Oddly I am pretty confident in real life, but I am strangely introverted when it comes to the internet (I know it is supposed to be the other way around right?).

Mentor idea could work if done well.

You could also do something like the 'Intro Checklist' and make it a bit of a challenge. Like:

1) Wind up someone
2) Piss Andy off
3) Find something out about another RW member

etc. etc.

Sure the creative people on here could come up with a fun checklist that would get people involved but have a laugh at the same time.


Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5547

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:43 am

Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:
Philadelphia Pigskins wrote:
I don't mind being a point person if new owners have questions

Or so that this task doesn't fall on one person's shoulders, perhaps Andy could assign a different "mentor" to each new person who will answer all their questions and guide them through the process.

We used to do this with most, if not all, prospects. The thing that I noticed was that it didn't necessarily help a lot. Many of the people that passed by quickly and dropped also didn't respond to e-mails or didn't want to be active. Those that are still here jumped in without the need for the e-mail. The other problem is that it doesn't happen until after they've been here and started talking. To me, I think that Andy's question goes to how do we get someone to put an intro post into the Front Porch.

But, looking back, I think that we should look at the main goal which is to get a group of top-flight prospects to one day potentially rise up to the main league. So having a bit of an impediment to entry isn't a bad thing.


Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters
 
 
avatar

Posts : 3335

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:46 am

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
check out this thread

Perhaps it should be the Naked Ladies thread that they are told to check out first to help ease any apprehensions they may have.


Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1824

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:08 am

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:
Philadelphia Pigskins wrote:
I don't mind being a point person if new owners have questions

Or so that this task doesn't fall on one person's shoulders, perhaps Andy could assign a different "mentor" to each new person who will answer all their questions and guide them through the process.

We used to do this with most, if not all, prospects.  The thing that I noticed was that it didn't necessarily help a lot.  Many of the people that passed by quickly and dropped also didn't respond to e-mails or didn't want to be active.  Those that are still here jumped in without the need for the e-mail.  The other problem is that it doesn't happen until after they've been here and started talking.  To me, I think that Andy's question goes to how do we get someone to put an intro post into the Front Porch.

But, looking back, I think that we should look at the main goal which is to get a group of top-flight prospects to one day potentially rise up to the main league.  So having a bit of an impediment to entry isn't a bad thing.

I don't think I am speaking out of turn when I say that most active RW members have a pretty strong personality. We give each other shit and expect that shit is to be given when we screw up or do something stupid (or we piss off Andy or Greg). We expect to be mocked within reason, but also know that in serious times there is a community there to support us. If the goal is to recruit those who fit this mold and feel comfortable jumping right in then the front porch might not need much modification. We could maybe put something highlighting experiences like Bern's and mine, where we aren't what one would consider fantasy football experts, but still gave it a shot and found it to be enjoyable. If however, the goal is to expand the recruiting to those who may be a little quieter, at least initially, then I could see some changes being made. I know that one of the impetuses for my increased participation was when the community came together with the care package for Bob. It was easy to get behind this and I didn't need to worry about feeling an idiot if I expressed an opinion that was contrary to popular belief, whether it be about fantasy football or something else. Linking to a few of our better threads that have active conversation but don't require strong opinions about important things may be a way to highlight the community aspect of RW and increase the odds someone might feel more comfortable getting involved.


Back to top Go down
North Wales Knights
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1600

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:12 am

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:
Philadelphia Pigskins wrote:
I don't mind being a point person if new owners have questions

Or so that this task doesn't fall on one person's shoulders, perhaps Andy could assign a different "mentor" to each new person who will answer all their questions and guide them through the process.

We used to do this with most, if not all, prospects.  The thing that I noticed was that it didn't necessarily help a lot.  Many of the people that passed by quickly and dropped also didn't respond to e-mails or didn't want to be active.  Those that are still here jumped in without the need for the e-mail.  The other problem is that it doesn't happen until after they've been here and started talking.  To me, I think that Andy's question goes to how do we get someone to put an intro post into the Front Porch.

But, looking back, I think that we should look at the main goal which is to get a group of top-flight prospects to one day potentially rise up to the main league.  So having a bit of an impediment to entry isn't a bad thing.


I guess we're speaking to two different things, Russ. Your outlook is more of a right away checklist/intro post, which I agree could be helpful and I like some of the suggestions posted by others. I was addressing more of the prospect-member process. While some have jumped in and not needed an email, I just wanted to share the positive effect that Corey's email and conversation had on me and my journey to ownership. Glad to hear Nick had a similar experience.


Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5547

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:26 am

I hope people don't view my post as being negative or inclusionary, just passing along some observations that I've had. And I'm appreciative of the efforts of Corey and others in bringing people into the fold. For me, Andy first got me interested and I observed for a while. Carla, and to a lesser extent Showtime, got me to start posting. And Ian was key in getting me hooked and posting a lot more.

One thing that greatly helped me was choosing to follow, and root for, Sty and Justin. It allowed me to read all the weekly articles and analysis and feel connected to them. Unfortunately Sty and Justin didn't give me a lot of wins that year.


Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem
 
 
avatar

Posts : 6079

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:34 am

LOVE THE IDEA OF A MENTOR ASSIGNMENT.

I will be one.


Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem
 
 
avatar

Posts : 6079

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:37 am

Maybe Nick can have a list of mentors and whoever is up next gets the assignment. We as mentors report back to Andy/Nick with updates on feedback we are receiving AND/OR why the person decided they are not a fit.

If we as mentors dont get alot in our interactions and the leave RW we might be able to share how many times we reached out and that we didnt get much from them either.

If you are on the mentor list and you are dealing with life issues and cannot be a good mentor JUST SAY PASS.....Nick can email the next person.


Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants
 
 
avatar

Posts : 11015

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:39 am

Indiana Mayhem wrote:
Maybe Nick can have a list of mentors and whoever is up next gets the assignment.  We as mentors report back to Andy/Nick with updates on feedback we are receiving AND/OR why the person decided they are not a fit.

If we as mentors dont get alot in our interactions and the leave RW we might be able to share how many times we reached out and that we didnt get much from them either.

If you are on the mentor list and you are dealing with life issues and cannot be a good mentor JUST SAY PASS.....Nick can email the next person.

Sounds easy enough.


Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem
 
 
avatar

Posts : 6079

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:43 am

Maybe we can have a mentor patch or a symbol on our banners if we are mentors so if their mentor is not around they know who the mentors are overall.

Actually maybe every new member can be assigned 2 mentors. They dont have to know they are being assigned the mentors. We know. That way they feel closer to 2 of us from the beginning without really knowing.


Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 4424

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:16 am

Mentors sound good.
FAQ is ok but I think that should avoid covering topics that are in the bylaws otherwise I bet some people won't actually read the bylaws.


Back to top Go down
North Wales Knights
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1600

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:21 am

San Francisco Golddiggers wrote:
Mentors sound good.
FAQ is ok but I think that should avoid covering topics that are in the bylaws otherwise I bet some people won't actually read the bylaws.

I agree. Especially since all new members will be playing in the Minors - reading the bylaws is a must. I saw the FAQ thing as more of a how to get into the banter of the Forum and next steps type of document.


Back to top Go down
Maple Grove Mean Machine
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1775

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:38 pm

I would be up for a mentoring role. When I first got here, last March, they were just getting into RFA. That time, I remember, was difficult because I was following RFA and not really understanding it. I also remember someone saying to me, I think it was Andy, he said," Hang in there, this is a very busy time of the year." So, I started posting a few random things and commenting on some topics and soon enough I felt like I fit in. It may take some people some time to jump in full bore. I feel if you found this league and you are serious, you'll fit in. I remember, specifically, that I just wanted to be a friend so I can browse the Players thread to find "insight", then I realized this is ultimately what I wanted in a league and declared right away I wanted to be a prospect.


Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals
 
 
avatar

Posts : 23398

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:42 pm

Wow. What a bunch of rockstars you fuckers are!!! Some truly great ideas and obviously we could run with most if not all of them.

As I finished reading, the mentor concept certainly seems like a great starting point. I really appreciate the feedback as I truly wasn't aware of some of these experiences.

@Russ...I am confused why the popup was an issue...you know why? I can remove that but it seemed like an odd thing to turn folks off.

I'm gonna think for just a bit on this before putting anything into action. For example, I don't like piling too much on one person *cough* Nick *cough* so making sure everyone is able to help out as much as they would like without actually making this seem like a job to anyone is a big deal to me.

I have a few other ideas also that I think can be tied into this. I'm excited though, I think the "recruitment" and "mentoring program" are big focal points and separating that from the interrogation process that goes on with me directly is a stellar idea. Basically let guests find us, dip their toe in the water and get acclimated with some of you before I push their head under water and make them a maniac! Evil laugh


Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants
 
 
avatar

Posts : 11015

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:46 pm

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
I'm gonna think for just a bit on this before putting anything into action.  For example, I don't like piling too much on one person *cough* Nick *cough* so making sure everyone is able to help out as much as they would like without actually making this seem like a job to anyone is a big deal to me.

This is an easy job of just compiling a list of the interested people, and when someone signs in and creates a bio just shooting an email to the next up. I would be fine with it, but anyone can hop on it.


Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem
 
 
avatar

Posts : 6079

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:59 pm

Minnesota Eternals wrote:

I think the "recruitment" and "mentoring program" are big focal points and separating that from the interrogation process that goes on with me directly is a stellar idea.  Basically let guests find us, dip their toe in the water and get acclimated with some of you before I push their head under water and make them a maniac!  Evil laugh

This is a much better approach.


Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem
 
 
avatar

Posts : 6079

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:59 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Minnesota Eternals wrote:
I'm gonna think for just a bit on this before putting anything into action.  For example, I don't like piling too much on one person *cough* Nick *cough* so making sure everyone is able to help out as much as they would like without actually making this seem like a job to anyone is a big deal to me.

This is an easy job of just compiling a list of the interested people, and when someone signs in and creates a bio just shooting an email to the next up. I would be fine with it, but anyone can hop on it.

Yeah Nick wouldnt be mentoring (unless he wanted too) he would be delegating!


Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5547

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:02 pm

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Wow.  What a bunch of rockstars you fuckers are!!!  Some truly great ideas and obviously we could run with most if not all of them.

As I finished reading, the mentor concept certainly seems like a great starting point.  I really appreciate the feedback as I truly wasn't aware of some of these experiences.

@Russ...I am confused why the popup was an issue...you know why?  I can remove that but it seemed like an odd thing to turn folks off.

I'm gonna think for just a bit on this before putting anything into action.  For example, I don't like piling too much on one person *cough* Nick *cough* so making sure everyone is able to help out as much as they would like without actually making this seem like a job to anyone is a big deal to me.

I have a few other ideas also that I think can be tied into this.  I'm excited though, I think the "recruitment" and "mentoring program" are big focal points and separating that from the interrogation process that goes on with me directly is a stellar idea.  Basically let guests find us, dip their toe in the water and get acclimated with some of you before I push their head under water and make them a maniac!  Evil laugh

I'd have to try to find the e-mails but I remember at least two people mentioning it. But I think that it was the overall first impression. There can be a lot to take in on the first visit.


Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals
 
 
avatar

Posts : 23398

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:03 pm

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Wow.  What a bunch of rockstars you fuckers are!!!  Some truly great ideas and obviously we could run with most if not all of them.

As I finished reading, the mentor concept certainly seems like a great starting point.  I really appreciate the feedback as I truly wasn't aware of some of these experiences.

@Russ...I am confused why the popup was an issue...you know why?  I can remove that but it seemed like an odd thing to turn folks off.

I'm gonna think for just a bit on this before putting anything into action.  For example, I don't like piling too much on one person *cough* Nick *cough* so making sure everyone is able to help out as much as they would like without actually making this seem like a job to anyone is a big deal to me.

I have a few other ideas also that I think can be tied into this.  I'm excited though, I think the "recruitment" and "mentoring program" are big focal points and separating that from the interrogation process that goes on with me directly is a stellar idea.  Basically let guests find us, dip their toe in the water and get acclimated with some of you before I push their head under water and make them a maniac!  Evil laugh

I'd have to try to find the e-mails but I remember at least two people mentioning it.  But I think that it was the overall first impression.  There can be a lot to take in on the first visit.

Thanks. It shall be gone within minutes.


Back to top Go down
Tenafly Vipers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 737

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:30 pm

Just from my experience yesterday, the biggest stumbling block for me was not knowing what to do to sign up after I read through the bylaws. I had to re-read the original reddit post and some parts of the bylaws to understand I should email Andy, register for the forum and create a personal thread.

Maybe it's the polite Southerner in me, but I thought registering for the forum and creating new threads before getting an ok from a commish would be poor form. I kept looking for an email address to contact. If that could be front and center somewhere, might help people from getting lost.

It also took me a bit to find the actual MFL league to see how the scoring affects position value. Just a link over there on your recruiting posts would be nice.


Back to top Go down
Carolina Silverbacks
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1258

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:42 pm

I'll jump on the bandwagon of the mentoring program. Works in positions like teaching which I've been through. I also think some basic topics like. Where you live, what's your family like, what your job is, etc would be easy topics. Sometimes it's easier to talk about what you know and a great place is yourself. I was watching a sty video and my wife was like what are you watching and I said fantasy porn lol3


Back to top Go down
North Wales Knights
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1600

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:37 pm

Carolina Silverbacks wrote:
I'll jump on the bandwagon of the mentoring program. Works in positions like teaching which I've been through. I also think some basic topics like. Where you live, what's your family like, what your job is, etc would be easy topics. Sometimes it's easier to talk about what you know and a great place is yourself. I was watching a sty video and my wife was like what are you watching and I said fantasy porn lol3

Does that make Sty the Ron Jeremy of RW. Nobody's in as many videos as Sty (mainly bc he makes most of the videos)

laughing laughing


Back to top Go down
Maple Grove Mean Machine
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1775

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:07 am

North Wales Knights wrote:
Carolina Silverbacks wrote:
I'll jump on the bandwagon of the mentoring program. Works in positions like teaching which I've been through. I also think some basic topics like. Where you live, what's your family like, what your job is, etc would be easy topics. Sometimes it's easier to talk about what you know and a great place is yourself. I was watching a sty video and my wife was like what are you watching and I said fantasy porn lol3

Does that make Sty the Ron Jeremy of RW. Nobody's in as many videos as Sty (mainly bc he makes most of the videos)

laughing laughing
No! Mandingo....just ask Stephanie. (Mrs. Redknights)


Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals
 
 
avatar

Posts : 23398

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:27 am

Alright, for starters I have removed the pop-up for new guests to the site. Next, we're going to start with the mentoring program. Nick will put together an official list of those of you willing to help out newly registered users and help guide them through the daunting task of figuring out what the fuck is going on around here and get them rolling. Nick will let you know who to help.

I am going to look to improve the Front Porch section itself by reading back through this thread asap and other things.

What I want to do is improve on every aspect of finding new people, getting them here, helping them adjust to what it is we do here and then see if they have what it takes to be one of us. For this moment, just get em started and beginning to be active or whatever. I will notice new people and email them directly to start THE INTERROGATION (I love that name) when I can and it makes sense.


Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1824

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:35 am

Feel free to add me to the mentor list.


Back to top Go down
England Dragons
 
 
avatar

Posts : 8921

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Happy to mentor too.

cheers


Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5547

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Count me in as a mentor as well.


Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters
 
 
avatar

Posts : 3335

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:42 pm

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
Count me in as a mentor as well.

Not sure that's a good idea.  They might take a look at your team.  laughing


Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5547

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:46 pm

Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:
Bergen Brawlers wrote:
Count me in as a mentor as well.

Not sure that's a good idea.  They might take a look at your team.  laughing



Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7148

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:54 pm

Count me in


Back to top Go down
Denver Demons
 
 
avatar

Posts : 667

PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:33 pm

As a newcomer, this seems like the best place for my commenting to begin. thinking

I thought the front page was very helpful. I actually started looking through everything for the first time last night on my phone, which was really confusing. After I got to my desk this morning and had a chance to open up my computer to look at the site though, it was very straightforward. It just took a lot of reading (as it should) and is gonna take a while to not feel overwhelmed and feel like I'm forgetting a rule and about to get placed in the corner with a dunce hat. Improvement ideas: well, as a noob I don't think I know well enough to say here, but I did have a dynasty league with a twitter account that would make up headlines every so often with "breaking news" for major trades, etc. That was fun despite being a hassle I'm sure.


Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: How can we improve our front porch?   

Back to top Go down
 
How can we improve our front porch?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Main RW Lobby-
Jump to: