:: I forgot my password
x

Share | 

The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16
AuthorMessage
Polk High Panthers

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:47 pm

I cut 2 myself. Reason for me was I'd rather put more of my time and energy in the ones that I love rather than just play in the others. Both ones I cut were playoff teams with plenty of assets to continue to be one.

Back to top Go down
Alaska Arsenic

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:19 pm

My leagues are growing. People are just soft these days!

Back to top Go down
http://faketeams.com
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:44 am

So we finished our league expansion in my local dynasty, and it panned out really well. We went from 10 to 12, we wanted the teams to be alright in year 1, and I think we accomplished that. Thanks to a few of you here that had some good ideas on how to get things started!

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:17 am

Polk High Panthers wrote:
I cut 2 myself. Reason for me was I'd rather put more of my time and energy in the ones that I love rather than just play in the others. Both ones I cut were playoff teams with plenty of assets to continue to be one.

This is kinda my problem. I went through my leagues and the 3 I'm thinking of cutting I won 2 of them and they look good for few years still. One league is a mess and won't miss it. The 2 I won that I may dump are pretty dead leagues from activity and knowledge side but the winnings are nice. If drop them I'll be down to 6 leagues (5 dynasties and 1 redraft).

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:21 am

My personal take on this sort of thing...

I used to play in 10+ leagues and like many it stemmed from never getting enough of the draft experience. So you'd draft early and right before the season and everywhere in between. Redraft leagues, keeper leagues and dynasty....these players and those players and oh shit I need some of those ones over there.

And then came waivers. Fuck waivers! When you have 10+ leagues there are two options: waivers will turn into a fucking job OR you'll fuck it up at least somewhere if not everywhere. In your more traditional leagues, waivers are a big damn deal and if you disagree you're just wrong. You hurt yourself and more importantly you help others but not being on top of that shit.
So after getting done with WORK (managing all these waivers which run at different times/days) you're left with two things: the prize and the glory.

The thing is though, most people don't play in high stakes leagues so let's cut the shit, the prize isn't really that big of a deal or shouldn't be (don't play above your means).

That leaves the glory (or whatever term you'd prefer) but in my experience beating inattentive/disinterested/uninformed competition isn't very rewarding and losing to them makes the entire fantasy football experience seem like a waste of time.

Due to the number of leagues I had, I saw that one or two were pretty active and that was fun but it also made the other ones stick out for how dull they were. Nobody said anything and even if some of the competitors were what you want, you wouldn't know it. So then it just comes down to when you have had enough of the WORK without any of the fun. I eventually got down to a few leagues that were all pretty active. That just left preference with rules/structures.

I have thought for many years that one league could be pretty rewarding if everyone was devoted to it and poured what time they had for FF into that one league...so I tried to see if RW could work. Of course, one would be insane to require (or think they could) that everyone only play in one league. It's worked better than even I imagined and enough people clearly feel the same that a majority of RW owners cut down on their other leagues and focus on this place, which makes it even better.

Could I stop RW and just join a few traditional leagues at this point? Fuck no. I wouldn't see a point. That's just my reality at this point.

Winning here is not something you luckbox your way into. There are too many people who give too much of a shit to make it easy. I of course haven't won a title but I know it would be pretty important to me if I had (fuck I was close this year) and I assume that most here feel the same way. It's not the money, it's who I have to beat and how much goes into it that makes it important. Other leagues haven't given me that so they're gone.

This has been story time with the RWP. If you read all of that and thought there was a real point....sorry. laughing I was just sharing.

Back to top Go down
Southside Spartans

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:32 am

Good post.  Emails sent, I'm down 3 league.  LOL

This is the sentence that closed the case because it's so true for me

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
That leaves the glory (or whatever term you'd prefer) but in my experience beating inattentive/disinterested/uninformed competition isn't very rewarding and losing to them makes the entire fantasy football experience seem like a waste of time.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:36 am

Southside Spartans wrote:
Good post.  Emails sent, I'm down 3 league.  LOL

This is the sentence that closed the case because it's so true for me

Haha.  I wasn't trying to sell you or anyone else on anything.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:37 am

Andy basically captured my thoughts on this issue. I was over 30 when I was invited to RW. And now I'm currently at 16 and feel more excited about the game.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:56 am

Wow down to 16, nice Russ. It baffles me how you people ever juggle that many leagues. 30? Man. I had 9 at one time and was overwhelmed.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:18 am

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Wow down to 16, nice Russ. It baffles me how you people ever juggle that many leagues. 30? Man. I had 9 at one time and was overwhelmed.

It becomes a chore and very assembly-line like.  This last cut was tough.  I got rid of a lot of very good teams -- but at least that makes the commishes job easier hopefully.  My goal now is to only deal with commishes that I truly like and trust.

So I have this league, 2 leagues with a guy who's in a lot of my leagues, 4 that Carla runs, 1 that Showtime runs, 5 leagues that I commish, and one local league where we actually have a live draft at a bar!  And then two forum leagues.

So I'm probably at my floor of number of leagues.

EDIT -- Sadly, I'll get bored and probably run another startup this year. But at least I've got a bit more bandwidth to pick up a league.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:21 am

If fantasy ever becomes a chore I will do whatever it takes to get out of what makes it feel like that. Like I said, I am down to 3 and it is incredible. I truly enjoy those three leagues. I even cut out the bullshit leagues. My work was mad at me when I left, but it was just a redraft, with almost no trades or even talk about the league. It bored me, and setting a lineup and going to the wire became a task.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:24 am

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
If fantasy ever becomes a chore I will do whatever it takes to get out of what makes it feel like that. Like I said, I am down to 3 and it is incredible. I truly enjoy those three leagues. I even cut out the bullshit leagues. My work was mad at me when I left, but it was just a redraft, with almost no trades or even talk about the league. It bored me, and setting a lineup and going to the wire became a task.

The season has always been a chore. But having a ton of leagues was great in the offseason because there is so little activity in most leagues. So I was really able to talk trade through the entire offseason without any real lulls or deadspots. RW has helped a lot in filling that void because you have RFA and other events to keep you busy and active. If I wasn't here, there's a very good chance that I'd still be in the mid 20's but just dreading in season waivers and lineup submissions.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:30 am

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
Andy basically captured my thoughts on this issue.  I was over 30 when I was invited to RW.  And now I'm currently at 16 and feel more excited about the game.  

I've seen this too consistently for it to not be a thing.

It's similar to why I think DFS isn't really fantasy football. When you own a piece of every player then who gives a shit? It means nothing if you own Frank Gore if you own every other player somewhere too. It's why I have taken shots at people who play in a ton of leagues. If someone is in 30 leagues and they win three of them...is that good or bad? Should they be allowed to brag? Maybe it's just me but I feel you gotta win like HALF of your leagues for it to be impressive.

Taking it from the other side, pretend everyone was only allowed to have ONE LEAGUE. Think about that. First off, most people (if not everyone) would be super selective about what that ONE LEAGUE was (a good thing in my eyes), they would have only one place to focus their fantasy football energy (a great thing in my eyes), the players they draft or obtain would be "their guys" which I'll just tell ya makes it more fun (a good thing) and winning/losing using YOUR EFFORT in YOUR LEAGUE with YOUR PLAYERS against people who give a fuck is the MOST REWARDING way to play....but that's technically just my opinion I suppose.

My path to this was I started drafting the same players in my 3-5 leagues and I enjoyed shit more. I don't have too many situations where player X helps me here but hurts me over there. That is a bigger deal to me than I thought once upon a time. I much prefer watching games where "these things are good" and "those things are bad" for me. Less leagues creates that. I'll also just tell you, when I'm right about a player (and I back it up by owning him) it feels that much cooler when I'm right (and of course hurts more when I'm wrong). That's why most "experts" can eat a fat dick. They like everyone. They tell you the good about everyone. Why? Cuz when players pan out they can claim they were on his bandwagon (cuz they were on everyones) and nobody ever calls them out for all the shitty players they liked. Fuck that and fuck them.

It's ok to be right. It's ok to be wrong. Own it! Less leagues equals back your beliefs up by owning the guys you think will deliver and bail on those you don't. I once thought Deon Butler would pan out. Oh well. I also said Sammy Watkins was an overrated player and while we're still at sea with some folks on that, I was right. He's not been anywhere near where folks who drafted him thought he would be. I'm still at sea with fuckin Martavis who I believe is better than Watkins. It's alright, enjoy the rides. I don't own Sammy and if he goes bananas next season I don't need to own a piece...I'll just sit here and gripe like an adult who was wrong OR more likely I'll gripe and explain to all how this will be his ONE YEAR so get out before he turns back into the "if no defenders are on me I got this" pumpkin that he is.

What was I talking about again...hey, a squirrel! superman

laughing

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:39 am

Full disclosure btw...

I can completely understand why folks play in more than one league. I got into graphics which takes up a TON of time. I also purposely tried to make RW as crazy big of a thing as I could which takes a TON of time...so if you backed those two key things out for me would I just be satisfied with PLAYING in one league as just an owner? I doubt it. I would either be the most active person in multiple leagues or have grown tired of FF and being doing something else entirely. I know that. I don't require owners here to be just in this league or to be in a set number of leagues...you do what's right for you. We have our expectations for RW and you'll either make RW enough of a priority around your other "things" or you won't. That's up to you.

People will do (and get done) what they want to. Not showing up or delivering here just means your THIS isn't your thing. If folks are honest about shit like that, everything is easy.

I'm glad I get to play here with ya'll.

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:42 pm

So you're saying its taken a few years but everyone is starting to agree with me that DFS is bullcrap and not fantasy football at all? laughing

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:48 pm

Atlanta Africans wrote:
So you're saying its taken a few years but everyone is starting to agree with me that DFS is bullcrap and not fantasy football at all? laughing

I agree with that, DFS is not fantasy. I don't mind it, played a ton in 2016, not once this past year.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:23 pm

I do think playing in a set group like we do here...is fun. Playing in the public games is probably closer to that crypto currency roller coaster than it is to fantasy football. laughing

Back to top Go down
Maple Grove Mean Machine

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:50 am

DFS hasn't even appealed to me in the least.

Back to top Go down
Riverside Rottweilers

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:22 am

I completely understand the feeling of having "your guys" and being proud when the players you managed and drafted come out of nowhere to have great seasons. I only play in a handful of leagues, but use RW as my "main league" as the players that I will always root for above others.

I'm very much into DFS, not as much NFL but I still put in a solid amount of lineups each week.I would say DFS is a different kind of happiness, where I get joy in finding value on any particular day rather than "picking my guys" for the whole season.

I agree this does diminish things a bit, since with RW you get one shot a week to win a game, where DFS you have plenty of lineups on any given day that can win or lose.

I think there is still something to be said for being able to "pick your guys" on a level playing field against other competition. Trade negotiation skills, past owner relationships, and all those other factors that determine player value on RW play no role in DFS. Prices are determined by the site, and everything is boiled down to how well you can put your NFL knowledge to use and pick out value plays better than the next guy.

Back to top Go down
Carolina Silverbacks

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:34 am

I'm continuing on cutting down leagues and it feels great. I want to devote more attention to the leagues I choose to stay with and improve the league I commish as well. Too many leagues was ruining fantasy for me so I needed to step back and regain my former excitement.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:45 am

Riverside Rottweilers wrote:
I completely understand the feeling of having "your guys" and being proud when the players you managed and drafted come out of nowhere to have great seasons. I only play in a handful of leagues, but use RW as my "main league" as the players that I will always root for above others.

I'm very much into DFS, not as much NFL but I still put in a solid amount of lineups each week.I would say DFS is a different kind of happiness, where I get joy in finding value on any particular day rather than "picking my guys" for the whole season.

I agree this does diminish things a bit, since with RW you get one shot a week to win a game, where DFS you have plenty of lineups on any given day that can win or lose.

I think there is still something to be said for being able to "pick your guys" on a level playing field against other competition. Trade negotiation skills, past owner relationships, and all those other factors that determine player value on RW play no role in DFS. Prices are determined by the site, and everything is boiled down to how well you can put your NFL knowledge to use and pick out value plays better than the next guy.

I have much more respect for single-entry events in DFS. Honestly think they should all be that way BUT the money is in multi-entry for users and for the host sites.

I have had some ideas that I think would make for a sweet DFS site but unless I suddenly get in with someone in that world it'll just be in my head. I have no idea how to become one of those sites let alone have the capital to make it happen.

Back to top Go down
Alaska Arsenic

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:16 am

I would love to get the rake on those sites. Just sick.

Back to top Go down
Kansas City Kings

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:31 am

Down to three leagues, RW, a 32 team salary cap/contract, and a 16 team true dynasty.

Over the last couple seasons I have grown to hate redraft so I quit all of those leagues, the waiver wire shit was just to annoying.

I like DFS if it's in a group of folks "I know". It is kind of like redraft without all the shit that makes redraft annoying. It was especially nice here when I was out of the hunt.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:18 pm

Kansas City Kings wrote:
and a 16 team true dynasty.

By that do you mean a league where you own players forever? As in you have to drop or trade them to lose them?

If so, I have never played in one but I have a theory that maybe you can confirm or deny.

The theory is...in MOST leagues I have been apart of I am the most active or one of the most active owners. Shocking, I know. In a league like that, I would think that the strength of owners would be much more apparent over time. So if I were to play a true dynasty with your average redraft crowd I would destroy them nearly every year. I would know more players, crush them on the waiver wire if there is one, be ahead of the curve on situations and take advantage in trades and other such situation and therefore would damn near be a top3 team year in and year out. Sure I could fuck myself up but most of them time I wouldn't. Sooooo, I feel it would be absolutely vital that a true dynasty league like that would need all of it's owners to be close in attention and ability (like we actually have here).

What have you seen? Any truth to that? I just can't fathom how someone could succeed in a league like that if they aren't equal to or better than everyone else at those key areas.

Back to top Go down
Alaska Arsenic

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:39 pm

Andy - your normal redraft crowd won't play in a dynasty league, so your theory doesn't really hold much water. In dynasty leagues I have been in (no matter the sport) the leagues that have active owners and competition are the ones that last. The league just wouldn't last with your average redraft crowd.

The same holds true for RW. Offseason has too much importance. Those guys looking for a casual league would get left behind.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:43 pm

Alaska Arsenic wrote:
Andy - your normal redraft crowd won't play in a dynasty league, so your theory doesn't really hold much water.  In dynasty leagues I have been in (no matter the sport) the leagues that have active owners and competition are the ones that last.  The league just wouldn't last with your average redraft crowd.

The same holds true for RW.  Offseason has too much importance.  Those guys looking for a casual league would get left behind.

I have absolutely been in dynasty leagues with guys that couldn't carry my fantasy pads so I think there is at least a little "something" to it. But I do know what you mean, the worst of the worst are playing in redraft leagues so they don't enter the discussion.

Back to top Go down
Kansas City Kings

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:08 pm

Kansas City Kings wrote:
and a 16 team true dynasty.

By that do you mean a league where you own players forever?  As in you have to drop or trade them to lose them?

If so, I have never played in one but I have a theory that maybe you can confirm or deny.

The theory is...in MOST leagues I have been apart of I am the most active or one of the most active owners.  Shocking, I know.  In a league like that, I would think that the strength of owners would be much more apparent over time.  So if I were to play a true dynasty with your average redraft crowd I would destroy them nearly every year.  I would know more players, crush them on the waiver wire if there is one, be ahead of the curve on situations and take advantage in trades and other such situation and therefore would damn near be a top3 team year in and year out.  Sure I could fuck myself up but most of them time I wouldn't.  Sooooo, I feel it would be absolutely vital that a true dynasty league like that would need all of it's owners to be close in attention and ability (like we actually have here).

What have you seen?  Any truth to that?  I just can't fathom how someone could succeed in a league like that if they aren't equal to or better than everyone else at those key areas.

I do not think I have been playing Dynasty for long enough to really answer that. But like Ghoji said for the most part we are a different breed. I think most folks that are playing Dynasty are reading all the same stuff watching all the same tape and listening to the same pods but may still value players differently.

I have seen some Lame ducks though that miss on some picks in a startup draft and basically give up and leave the league instead of committing to selling some vets for picks or young players to turn it around and guess what they are still bad the next season.

I have also seen some Franchises that are competitive and do very little trading and waiver work and still be competitive with the really active owners that are sending offers out constantly.

Seems to me the different types of leagues inherently have different levels of activity in general, Roster Wars by a large margin has the most and i think there are a couple reasons for that 1. You do a lengthier vetting of owners 2. We have more available resources to trade (War Bucks) 3. since our players are all on contracts owners do not have to be as apprehensive about trading away a good player because you can improve your franchise through RFA instead of just praying you hit on a couple draft picks in the draft.

True dynasty can be nice because I get a lot of flexibility with being able to drop whoever I want whenever I want to make a trade possible or make a run at the rare waiver gem. I dont have to be married to a player for a certain number of years or give up franchise resources (War Bucks) to divorce him. I think the windows for having a good franchise or a bad franchise are longer in true dynasty though.

Contracts are nice because you have several ways to improve your roster through RFA AND the rookie draft, you get more fun things to do in the offseason. I just dont think you can shoot yourself in the foot so to speak as badly with a busted rookie pick or a trade that busted in a contract league because most players are hitting the free market at some point while they still have gas in the tank.

Fuck a salary cap league. The only reason I am re upping in that league is because i have only played one season there and feel like I need to give it atleast one more before I can say I hate it. Trying to make a trade in that league is trying to fit a goddamn puzzle piece together. Want to try and get a pick from a contending team? good fucking luck they are probably up against the cap and cant bring on any more money. Everything feels so restrictive and I hate it, cutting a player to make room for a trade and you take the salary cap hit making it even harder to make more trades happen. Those are just my thoughts so far I could be wrong and probably am.

I like my leagues all to be different or unique in some way so its not like i am playing the same game. Those are my thoughts the next guy probably thinks something totally different.

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:34 pm

I think there are several types of owners in dynasty leagues.

1. Short term win guys: you draft your team to compete now. You usually are in the money for a couple of years until your guys are too old. Most likely that owner walks away after his team gets old because it will be years before you reload through the draft and nobody else wants the old guys.
2. Long term grab all young guys. Owner is willing to draft all young people and vows to be patient. Problem is some of these owners lose patience as they fork over entrance fees each year without winning.
Balanced Guys: These guys have a mix of old guys and new guys. They usually win early and then spend alot of time trying to turn over their team while they are winning. This is best owner that gets it. This owner trades his veterans while they still have a couple of years left without being over the hill. The Balanced Guy is the only active owner in the league. The other two submit their lineup each week and aren't too active.

That is my theory. I think dynasty leagues have trouble keeping all owners. The shitty teams turn over and it is hard to find new owners who will take the shitty teams and donate the money to the good teams. Contract leagues allow bad teams to improve quickly.

Back to top Go down
Riverside Rottweilers

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:11 pm

Alaska Arsenic wrote:
Andy - your normal redraft crowd won't play in a dynasty league, so your theory doesn't really hold much water.  In dynasty leagues I have been in (no matter the sport) the leagues that have active owners and competition are the ones that last.  The league just wouldn't last with your average redraft crowd.

The same holds true for RW.  Offseason has too much importance.  Those guys looking for a casual league would get left behind.

I have absolutely been in dynasty leagues with guys that couldn't carry my fantasy pads so I think there is at least a little "something" to it. But I do know what you mean, the worst of the worst are playing in redraft leagues so they don't enter the discussion.

I think I agree Andy. The other league I am in is a dynasty league, where many of the owners have slowly become more inactive over time. I would still say its more competitive than redraft, but not by a lot.

Problem is there's no way out of that league unless I forfeit my entry fee for the following year, and theres no way I'm just giving away that kind of money.

Back to top Go down
Maplewood Doppelgangers

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:19 pm

I wanna leave a couple of my leagues, but the team is not the greatest and I would feel bad abandoning it. I've thought about paying half of the next year's dues and walking but then I'm halfway there so I might as well stay.

Back to top Go down
Polk High Panthers

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:31 pm

IMO contracts is the only way to go to have that parity I think you were talking about Andy. The "true dynasty" leagues, where you keep your guys until you drop or trade them what you described has been my experience. Over time the powerhouse owners end up owning the league. Sure that can be fun to build a team from the scraps to that but the competition level is just not there and those kind of leagues quickly lose my interest.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:47 pm

Yep, contracts are the only way to go. A few Years ago when I was setting up my local dynasty, we were also going to do a salary cap, but Andy talked me into doing cap years like we do here. It’s really the best way IMO.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:59 pm

Mitch, I agree with you on salary leagues. Hated it. Ruins player values and it's not made up to me by the increased value of shitty players.

I just think if I got leverage in a true dynasty league good fucking luck beating me. That sounds more arrogant than I want it to but I seriously believe it wouldn't be too hard to ruin one of those leagues by becoming a powerhouse that people get sick of playing against.

Back to top Go down
Alaska Arsenic

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:10 pm

I am in a league of a different sport that is salary cap AND contracts. There are some seriously skilled owners in that league that really know their shit. We have had a couple owners leave over the years because they've actually gotten front office jobs with major league teams and they are not allowed to play as part of their job description.

Back to top Go down
Manhattan Beach Militia

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:45 pm

With all the talk of cutting down leagues, this may be a bad time to pitch this, but here goes.  I play fantasy baseball at a site called Otto Neu, which if you like fantasy baseball, you should check it out.  A few years back, the site started hosting fantasy football leagues.  The site's is really well run, and has a great community on Slack.  The CON is it's not as customizable as MFL.

It's an auction draft format with maximum rosters and a salary cap.  At the end of each season, several factors come into play in regard to increases in salaries.  Each year, a player's salary automatically increases.  One of the funnest parts of this format is there is an arbitration period, where owners of each team are allotted money to increase salaries of players on other teams.

Another fun part is you are allowed to draft and pickup college players.

I have been in contact with Ghoji, and if there's interest, we will host a $50 league and serve as commissioners.  Each league has 12 teams and are dynasty leagues.

Although I've played baseball for a few years, I only played one football season, so I'm still learning myself.

I've pasted a few links below to help you better understand the format.

If interested in playing, let me know.

Rules

Rosters and Scoring

Prizes

Help

Hopefully, those links help with any questions you may have.

Back to top Go down
Manhattan Beach Militia

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:12 pm

I've been playing fantasy football since the early 90s. After a few years, another owner and I wanted to start a dynasty league, but we were met with a lot of resistance, so we kept the redraft format. I have been commish of a few leagues and all have been redraft leagues. I'm not sure why, but the owners in my main league have no desire to switch to a dynasty league.

Because of this, I searched for a quality dynasty league to join. Andy had done some work for one of our league's a few years back and we crossed paths again before this season. I asked to join RWs and I have to say, that was one of my best decisions. For me, there's no better league. Andy is great and the owners are an awesome and knowledgeable group. I've told my friends that even though I think I know fantasy football, the group at RWs is way beyond knowledgable.

Dynasty is the way to go for me, even though my home league is a redraft one.

I'm down to two leagues.

If you want a different, but fun format, check out my post above this one.

Back to top Go down
Riverside Rottweilers

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:38 pm

Mitch, I agree with you on salary leagues.  Hated it.  Ruins player values and it's not made up to me by the increased value of shitty players.

I just think if I got leverage in a true dynasty league good fucking luck beating me.  That sounds more arrogant than I want it to but I seriously believe it wouldn't be too hard to ruin one of those leagues by becoming a powerhouse that people get sick of playing against.

I hate playing with inexperienced owners in dynasty leagues. By exploiting those clueless owners, one guy was able to trade for Rodgers, Bell, Antonio Brown, Jordy, Fitz, and Jimmy Graham (in a 16 team league).

I guess it's partially my fault for not being more active in exploiting those owners, but it is annoying how some people think that a 1st round pick is worth trading Aaron Rodgers for just because they put it into some trade calculator somewhere. So frustrating.

Back to top Go down
Kansas City Kings

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:43 pm

Riverside Rottweilers wrote:
Mitch, I agree with you on salary leagues.  Hated it.  Ruins player values and it's not made up to me by the increased value of shitty players.

I just think if I got leverage in a true dynasty league good fucking luck beating me.  That sounds more arrogant than I want it to but I seriously believe it wouldn't be too hard to ruin one of those leagues by becoming a powerhouse that people get sick of playing against.

I hate playing with inexperienced owners in dynasty leagues. By exploiting those clueless owners, one guy was able to trade for Rodgers, Bell,  Antonio Brown, Jordy, Fitz, and Jimmy Graham (in a 16 team league).

I guess it's partially my fault for not being more active in exploiting those owners, but it is annoying how some people think that a 1st round pick is worth trading Aaron Rodgers for just because they put it into some trade calculator somewhere. So frustrating.

Jesus that's insane. I've never seen anything that bad before.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread   

Back to top Go down

The (one and only) OFFICIAL "other" FOOTBALL leagues, teams & trades thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 16 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Free For All-
Jump to: