:: I forgot my password

Share | 

How could Roster Wars be better?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:21 pm

No bet, you inherited a playoff roster, my team when I got it had 2 wins. Did I improve it? I think so. But not confident enough to bet that on it. wink

Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:24 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
No bet, you inherited a playoff roster, my team when I got it had 2 wins. Did I improve it? I think so. But not confident enough to bet that on it. wink

I don't think I'd go that far; but certainly understand. Maybe next season. cheers

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:27 pm

Oaktown Malosos wrote:
Titletown Tyrants wrote:

I don't think I'd go that far; but certainly understand.  Maybe next season. cheers

Yeah, I will get more confidence to bet when the team is even more "mine".

But back to the issue at hand, I like the current system that we use. I think it's fair.

Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:40 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:

But back to the issue at hand, I like the current system that we use. I think it's fair.

Gotcha...Never said it wasn't fair, just suggested it might be improved.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:57 pm

Let's take a real life example. Let's say the prior owner drafted Coradelle Patterson and gave him a 6 year contract.  But he busts. But, because he produces on special teams, the Vikes haven't cut him yet.  If you could have cut him 2 years ago or modified his contract at that time, you would have gained 4 extra contract years, or about 3.5% of your total contract years.  Those years could be given to other guys (up to 4) and you would have delayed their RFA period, maybe didn't have to use a tag, or maybe the player with the increased contract has more value.  Probably not a big difference.

But let's say that the prior owner also drafted TRich and gave him a 6 year deal as well.  And drafted David Wilson and gave him a 6 year deal. Now cutting the 3 guys may give you 12 years, or 10% of the total cap.

Or, let's say that you drafted Russell Wilson late and only gave him a 2 year deal.  But now you can tweak his contract and give him a 7 year deal, without any tags.  Given the likely potential bidding for Dang-e-Russ, you would need to use the SFT, at a cost of 100 WB (and to the exclusion of using it on another player).  So you get a benefit of 100 WB.

The flip side is that you would probably enter into some bad deals based on today's knowledge.  But it does have the ability to give someone a significant competitive advantage.

With that being said, I am of the opinion that you need to keep all options open in the event that you cannot fill a spot.  But, as only one owner, my opinion has limited weight.

Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:23 pm

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
Let's take a real life example. Let's say the prior owner drafted Coradelle Patterson and gave him a 6 year contract.  But he busts. But, because he produces on special teams, the Vikes haven't cut him yet.  If you could have cut him 2 years ago or modified his contract at that time, you would have gained 4 extra contract years, or about 3.5% of your total contract years.  Those years could be given to other guys (up to 4) and you would have delayed their RFA period, maybe didn't have to use a tag, or maybe the player with the increased contract has more value.  Probably not a big difference.

But let's say that the prior owner also drafted TRich and gave him a 6 year deal as well.  And drafted David Wilson and gave him a 6 year deal. Now cutting the 3 guys may give you 12 years, or 10% of the total cap.

Or, let's say that you drafted Russell Wilson late and only gave him a 2 year deal.  But now you can tweak his contract and give him a 7 year deal, without any tags.  Given the likely potential bidding for Dang-e-Russ, you would need to use the SFT, at a cost of 100 WB (and to the exclusion of using it on another player).  So you get a benefit of 100 WB.

The flip side is that you would probably enter into some bad deals based on today's knowledge.  But it does have the ability to give someone a significant competitive advantage.

With that being said, I am of the opinion that you need to keep all options open in the event that you cannot fill a spot.  But, as only one owner, my opinion has limited weight.

Appreciate the explanation! I was only suggesting that the new owner be allowed to drop years, and not add. Adding would be a definite advantage...pun intended. wink It would allow the redistribution of those saved years, but not to players on the current roster. The advantage is, it allows owners to rebuild faster. I think that makes the league more competitive, not the other way around.

Thanks again Russ!!

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:45 am

Let's rename this thread title again. It can be "Come in and get your good idea shot to hell"

Roster Wars is just like MFL. It's the best out there, always creates new features, but is never up to par when things need updated.

Back to top Go down
Maple Grove Mean Machine

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:19 am

Morrison Minions wrote:
Let's rename this thread title again. It can be "Come in and get your good idea shot to hell"

Roster Wars is just like MFL. It's the best out there, always creates new features, but is never up to par when things need updated.
clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:51 pm

[quote="Oaktown Malosos"]
Titletown Tyrants wrote:

[color=#000000]That's exactly the point; we "had" to deal with it, why should they?...Karla and you both agree to liking the idea, so why not entertain a change for our future Owners?

Quote :
Titletown Tyrants wrote:

Oh that definitely going to be a higher pick than Andy's. laughing

Hey Buddy; I've offered up a couple wagers...So far "Crickets"...Here's another...I'll finish ahead of you in DD...$20 bones? (End of Season Final Standings).

...What say you?  

I dont really agree with it.

Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:12 pm

Indiana Mayhem wrote:

I dont really agree with it.[/color]

Alright...But, will you explain why/what you don't agree with?   Describe how it "specifically," would alter the competitive course of RW?  
Thanks Carla...

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:55 pm

I understand it is not your fault there are contracts or players proportioned the way you would run the team. Some look at my team and likely have different ideas. However your point is more to give you a quicker path fixing some holes that might exist. I think some current teams would like to fix some of their holes as well even though they created them for themselves. We need more like a one time amnesty agreement where ALL teams have a chance to fix an issue.

Maybe the better rule would be an amnesty rule where any team could make one adjustment to a contract or a player drop free of penalty every 3 years. If you did it yearly nobody would take contracts seriously.

But----I dont think it is fair to only allow new guys to have rights to fix a team we all should have the right every so often.

Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:20 pm

Indiana Mayhem wrote:
I understand it is not your fault there are contracts or players proportioned the way you would run the team.  Some look at my team and likely have different ideas.  However your point is more to give you a quicker path fixing some holes that might exist.  I think some current teams would like to fix some of their holes as well even though they created them for themselves.  We need more like a one time amnesty agreement where ALL teams have a chance to fix an issue.  

Maybe the better rule would be an amnesty rule where any team could make one adjustment to a contract or a player drop free of penalty every 3 years.  If you did it yearly nobody would take contracts seriously.

But----I dont think it is fair to only allow new guys to have rights to fix a team we all should have the right every so often.

Appreciate it Carla!

I guess I was looking at it more from a "Prospect" retention angle...Since I spent the longest period on the wait-list, Andy had asked me if I could come up with any suggestions to make it easier.  I was thinking, that with something like this in place, a prospective owner would know that even though his wait may be long, he would be able to make changes that would show immediate results;  instead of having to wait and collect WB's, draft picks, etc.  Thus, accelerating an already lengthy process.  With all the new prospects, some of these worthy gentleman, could be on the list for a year or more...

Just trying to offer bit of incentive to the wait...I know we'd all like to think that the privilege of being part of the main League is enough, perhaps it is...But, I almost missed an opportunity, as my attention started to waiver after 8-9 months.   Anyways, it was just a thought...      

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:15 pm

Tom you're right, would be great to find ways to make the prospect wait worthwhile when it gets long.

Can you honestly say that being able to change contracts would have made you willing to wait longer?
Let's just say I'm skeptical laughing

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:24 pm

Maybe certain milestones could be reached by prospects? If they reach X posts or X time on wait list they can get their coordinators or something?

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:45 pm

Atlanta Africans wrote:
Tom you're right, would be great to find ways to make the prospect wait worthwhile when it gets long.

Can you honestly say that being able to change contracts would have made you willing to wait longer?
Let's just say I'm skeptical laughing

I read it more that Tom is saying the path to "your team" would be more palatable with his suggestion.. not the path to getting a team. As a new owner would be able to take over a team and not be straddled with junk (Eric to the white courtesy phone).

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:51 pm

You get what you get - be happy you're allowed to be part of the club damn it 

in the good ol' days when I got a team......

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:02 pm

Kane County Goon Squad wrote:

Agreed.

Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:00 pm

Philadelphia Pigskins wrote:
Maybe certain milestones could be reached by prospects? If they reach X posts or X time on wait list they can get their coordinators or something?

I like that a lot...would encourage participation by us pueblings while we wait in line.

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:28 pm

in the good ol' days when I got a team......

Eric is the best example of this.....poor guy.

surprised

bow

Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:58 pm

I think allowing reductions changes the competitive landscape. It means you have more years for the RFAs and draft picks you make. And effectively you have devalued WBs because there are more in circulation than there should be.

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:17 am

I would like to see a new section in the forums called Nudist Camp.  This would be the place for posting hardcore images and discussions, including fetishes.  wink

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:48 am

Apalachicola Oysters wrote:
I would like to see a new section in the forums called Nudist Camp.  This would be the place for posting hardcore images and discussions, including fetishes.  wink

He asked for ideas on how to make RW better...

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:25 am

Atlanta Africans wrote:

Just joking around, Ian.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:45 pm

I think it should be mandatory to have updated trade bait. Or some have trade bait up, but not what they are looking for. Would be cool to have everyone date their trade bait and have it updated ever month.

Too nuts?

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:06 pm

Atlanta Africans wrote:

Just joking around, Ian.

Sure you are, way to save it Ed high five tongue

Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:18 am

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
I think it should be mandatory to have updated trade bait. Or some have trade bait up, but not what they are looking for. Would be cool to have everyone date their trade bait and have it updated ever month.

Too nuts?

I'm completely ok with this and think it should be mandatory to have your trade bait updated monthly. Gets hard sometimes when a team has players up for months and don't list what they would be looking for in return for a player.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:29 am

Making it a mandatory item might be heavy BUT since we're all adults...wouldn't it be nice if all of us could agree to address it if someone requests an update? Kind of like an offer (which requires a 3 day response)...if someone shoots you an email asking for an update to your trade bait, I would think we can all deliver on that.....right?

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:35 am

SHOULDNT BE TO HARD

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:37 am

SHOULDNT BE TO HARD

IN YOUR PANTS!

Sorry, had to do it before someone else did.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:46 am

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Making it a mandatory item might be heavy BUT since we're all adults...wouldn't it be nice if all of us could agree to address it if someone requests an update?  Kind of like an offer (which requires a 3 day response)...if someone shoots you an email asking for an update to your trade bait, I would think we can all deliver on that.....right?

vote yes   A Gentleman's agreement, and I use that term loosely!

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:51 am

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Making it a mandatory item might be heavy BUT since we're all adults...wouldn't it be nice if all of us could agree to address it if someone requests an update?  Kind of like an offer (which requires a 3 day response)...if someone shoots you an email asking for an update to your trade bait, I would think we can all deliver on that.....right?

Ladies and Gentlemen Agreement.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:53 am

Titletown Tyrants wrote:

Ladies and Gentlemen Agreement.

Damnit! That is why I used the term LOOSELY! HAHA, thanks for pointing out my fuck up. Sorry Carla, it won't happen again!

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:48 pm

I would still love to see us go Devy one day. Even if we limited devy picks to the DEF side of the ball as to not devalue early picks. We could have one player limits. This would slow down the drafting of Freshman as the owner would have to trade the player or their pick the next year. I think this would add an entire new level of complexity, and for you non college watchers their are a ton of sites and youtube highlights of these guys...

I could really lay out a nice plan but this will not go anywhere.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:57 pm

Norfolk Bombers wrote:
I would still love to see us go Devy one day.  Even if we limited devy picks to the DEF side of the ball as to not devalue early picks.  We could have one player limits.  This would slow down the drafting of Freshman as the owner would have to trade the player or their pick the next year. I think this would add an entire new level of complexity, and for you non college watchers their are a ton of sites and youtube highlights of these guys...

I could really lay out a nice plan but this will not go anywhere.

What is the benefit? I get it if you watch college and are looking for an early jump on players but from where I'm sitting it is only crapping on future drafts with no upside.

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:24 pm

Risk/reward. What is the point of doing anything? What was the point of you wanting to trade firsts? 6-10 defensive guys missing from a draft is not that big a deal as far a value goes. People will swing and miss on guys (think Arthur Brown and Clowney). It just adds a little layer and another asset to bargain with.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:32 pm

I like the idea of devy leagues, but I would like to try it somewhere else before here. How many people here have done it?

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:39 pm

I have been in one devy league for many years and like it. Only 15 devy players can be taken in the draft but it is non-IDP.

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:39 pm

I'm not so interested in adding devy to RW

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:27 am

agree

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:30 am

I can't imagine Andy adding devy to this but I figured I'd put my thoughts out there.   Unless we did a significant revamping of RW adding devy players wouldn't make sense.  We would need a taxi squad for them because otherwise you would need to assign a multi-year contract just to get them to their rookie year.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:18 am

agree

X2

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:11 pm

I've never understood devy leagues, but that is because I analyze a player based on the system they are in, or going into.

Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:44 pm

I'd join a second league that had a devy format, but I wouldn't want RW to change to that. This league has a good thing going, and I'd hate to mess with that formula.

Back to top Go down
Las Vegas DeGenerates

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:27 am

Indiana Mayhem wrote:
agree

X2

X3

Back to top Go down
Maple Grove Mean Machine

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:33 am

Las Vegas DeGenerates wrote:
Indiana Mayhem wrote:
agree

X2

X3

X4

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:43 am

Maple Grove Mean Machine wrote:
Las Vegas DeGenerates wrote:
Indiana Mayhem wrote:
agree

X2

X3

X4

X6?

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:50 am

embarrassed

Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:49 am

x11 or whatever. I don't follow college ball.

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:42 pm

Yep - no access to college football over here. Zero interest in devy leagues.

shrug

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:02 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:

Says Nick.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How could Roster Wars be better?   

Back to top Go down

How could Roster Wars be better?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Main RW Lobby-
Jump to: