HomeLog inRegisterFAQSearch

Share | 

NFL Bye weeks - is this an issue we should discuss?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: NFL Bye weeks - is this an issue we should discuss?   Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:10 pm

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
I'm okay with that but we should address whether we count all weeks for a player who misses a game to injury.
Why would we? First 11 games of his team counts, just like every year to date right?

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: NFL Bye weeks - is this an issue we should discuss?   Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:10 pm

I agree that in terms of lineups, owners are SOL, but we should think of a way to address the potential implications for scoring records, etc.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: NFL Bye weeks - is this an issue we should discuss?   Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:07 am

For season scoring, since we have been based on a 12 game season (11 games for each team), the easiest thing the way I see it would be to throw out week 1 scoring, and then just use the data for weeks 2-13. That seems like a fairly clean and simple way to handle it...

Still no good solution for the week 13 playoff games, at least not one that doesn't introduce a bunch of other issues or create a whole bunch of hoops to jump through to try to make it work...

Back to top Go down
Las Vegas DeGenerates

PostSubject: Re: NFL Bye weeks - is this an issue we should discuss?   Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:25 am

I don't think this should change anything about season-long records... If someone has a week 13 bye week and that causes him to break a record, so be it.

I know it doesn't happen often, but think of a NFL trade mid-season. A player plays four games on one team, and boom, he's traded to another team that had their bye week during week three. He's going to end up play an extra game... Would he be exempt from breaking a season scoring record??? Sure, not likely to happen, but the record book should just accept things out of it's control. Changing record keeping or not including a certain week is just a hassle that Andy or anyone else should not have to deal with.

Just my opinion.

Back to top Go down
Maple Grove Mean Machine

PostSubject: Re: NFL Bye weeks - is this an issue we should discuss?   Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:29 am

Las Vegas DeGenerates wrote:
I don't think this should change anything about season-long records... If someone has a week 13 bye week and that causes him to break a record, so be it.

I know it doesn't happen often, but think of a NFL trade mid-season.  A player plays four games on one team, and boom, he's traded to another team that had their bye week during week three.  He's going to end up play an extra game... Would he be exempt from breaking a season scoring record???  Sure, not likely to happen, but the record book should just accept things out of it's control.  Changing record keeping or not including a certain week is just a hassle that Andy or anyone else should not have to deal with.

Just my opinion.

I agree, record books are there to keep records. They don't distinguish between one extra game or one game less. (unless accompanied by an "*". I say let the chips fall where they may.

Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: NFL Bye weeks - is this an issue we should discuss?   Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:42 am

Maple Grove Mean Machine wrote:
Las Vegas DeGenerates wrote:

I know it doesn't happen often, but think of a NFL trade mid-season.  A player plays four games on one team, and boom, he's traded to another team that had their bye week during week three.  He's going to end up play an extra game... Would he be exempt from breaking a season scoring record???  Sure, not likely to happen, but the record book should just accept things out of it's control.  Changing record keeping or not including a certain week is just a hassle that Andy or anyone else should not have to deal with.

Just my opinion.

I agree, record books are there to keep records. They don't distinguish between one extra game or one game less. (unless accompanied by an "*". I say let the chips fall where they may.

Ya, not trying to repeat myself but I am also against throwing out weeks or doing anything besides just living with what the NFL decides. I own Mariota this year and probably some other loser browns or titans but doesn't matter really. Just like we have to deal with injuries or crappy weeks with 10 teams on bye etc etc we have to live with this and make the best of it. That goes for playoffs or season records.

Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers

PostSubject: Re: NFL Bye weeks - is this an issue we should discuss?   Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:16 pm

It's not just the record book. There are potentual payouts from the pot.
I'd choose weeks 1-11 or weeks 2-12 for players on bye in Week 13. Although weeks 2-13 works since we don't have to start the player to count anymore.

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: NFL Bye weeks - is this an issue we should discuss?   Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:42 pm

I don't think we should leave week 1 out. It often takes a couple of weeks for regular playing time to sort itself out so omitting week 1 changes things unnecessarily imho

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: NFL Bye weeks - is this an issue we should discuss?   Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:16 pm

I suppose at this point I should at least address things in terms of RW2016....

I am not intending to do anything.

As others have said, there are other scenarios that occur which can/do create the same or similar circumstances and we don't feel the need (nor should we) to bend over backwards to contend with those so why would we here?

When it comes to your players being on bye in the first round of the playoffs, life just threw you a curveball...either you can hit the curveball or you'd better work on your ability to hit the curveball. I haven't seen my team in so long this shit may even affect me for all I know. I would suggest sending hatemail to the NFL if you are seeing red over it.

As for season long records...definitely more disconcerting...but again as someone else said, if a player gets traded at the right time they can effectively not have a bye week and we would not be doing shit about it...so that's what we're doing here. In 2016, if things are at all like they've been in the past then it'll have no effect since the Browns/Titans tend not to have contenders.

Now, the question for me is....is this one stupid decision by the NFL and we don't see it again in which case I am very confident in my decision...........OR..........are those dopes gonna continue doing this every year? You know they have already heard the collective groan from the fantasy football world (and they know where their bread is buttered) so you would think they would knock it off. If not, then each year we all are in the same boat where we hold our breath hoping none of our players have a week 13 bye....BUT...if they do the silver lining is they might have a better shot at a seasonal record I suppose.

For me, this only becomes a real issue if they step up their stupidity and somehow week 13 ends up with 4 or more teams on bye......in which case....Fuck the NFL, we'll just switch to the CFL or something.

Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: NFL Bye weeks - is this an issue we should discuss?   Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:34 pm

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
I suppose at this point I should at least address things in terms of RW2016....

I am not intending to do anything.

As others have said, there are other scenarios that occur which can/do create the same or similar circumstances and we don't feel the need (nor should we) to bend over backwards to contend with those so why would we here?

When it comes to your players being on bye in the first round of the playoffs, life just threw you a curveball...either you can hit the curveball or you'd better work on your ability to hit the curveball.  I haven't seen my team in so long this shit may even affect me for all I know.  I would suggest sending hatemail to the NFL if you are seeing red over it.

As for season long records...definitely more disconcerting...but again as someone else said, if a player gets traded at the right time they can effectively not have a bye week and we would not be doing shit about it...so that's what we're doing here.  In 2016, if things are at all like they've been in the past then it'll have no effect since the Browns/Titans tend not to have contenders.

Now, the question for me is....is this one stupid decision by the NFL and we don't see it again in which case I am very confident in my decision...........OR..........are those dopes gonna continue doing this every year?  You know they have already heard the collective groan from the fantasy football world (and they know where their bread is buttered) so you would think they would knock it off.  If not, then each year we all are in the same boat where we hold our breath hoping none of our players have a week 13 bye....BUT...if they do the silver lining is they might have a better shot at a seasonal record I suppose.

For me, this only becomes a real issue if they step up their stupidity and somehow week 13 ends up with 4 or more teams on bye......in which case....Fuck the NFL, we'll just switch to the CFL or something.

cheers

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NFL Bye weeks - is this an issue we should discuss?   

Back to top Go down

NFL Bye weeks - is this an issue we should discuss?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Main RW Lobby-
Jump to: