HomeLog inRegisterFAQSearch

Share | 

The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:49 pm

We could engrave our bids on a rock, and send them on a horse and buggy. Then we can do this for even longer. party

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:52 pm

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:57 pm

Morrison Minions wrote:
Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Well...this is one reason why I don't agree with those that whine about the 24 hour clock or who want the ebay style bidding system.

I am low on funds.  I wanted the player and wasn't sure if/when Brad would call it quits.  I also wanted other players so if everyone was up simultaneously I am fucked...by bidding slowly I was able to explore options to get more WB (which I did and it didn't work out).  

It's a game people.  At any point I suppose Brad could have bid up his own guy (knowing my balance) and forced me to act quickly.  I could have lucked out if I placed a bid and 24 hours elapsed when Brad was unable to stop in or forgot to bid or something.  Also, MFL is down so it was harder to work the trade angle but had I obtained more WB, I assure you I would have raised to one more than Brad had to force his hand.

Not everyone is gonna like it...but it's nothing personal and it's within the spirit of the game completely.  It makes much less sense if Brad and I are both sitting on a mountain of cash like we were in the TT but even working the "mistake angle" leaves it in play.  

None of this removes how fuckin lame this system is scared behind couch run for the hills

Eye of the beholder I suppose...

I have nothing against the proxy system (outside of RW) but because we want activity here and owners who are dialed in....the proxy is just such a dull auto-pilot experience that it doesn't fit IMO.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:00 pm

Morrison Minions wrote:
We could engrave our bids on a rock, and send them on a horse and buggy. Then we can do this for even longer. party

You might be able to sway me to the dull side if you would include several things that we could infuse into our April calendar to rush through RFA to get to....

Maybe I am just not seeing your point because from where I'm sitting it looks like proxy bidding would take less than half the time, result in zero surprises or interesting turn of events and then we'd all be spending this time...

Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:31 pm

Activity is king. Even when it means posts that are counting like sesame Street.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:06 pm

Morrison Minions wrote:
Activity is king. Even when it means posts that are counting like sesame Street.

Inactivity is the alternative. Even though everyone claims to hate that too.

lol3

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:52 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:

Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:12 pm

England Dragons wrote:
This set up is perfect. Really can't see what all the fuss is about. It allows you to bid $1 at a time or go all in from the off if you wanna. As Nick said, what else is there to do in April? My other leagues (bar GLDL where we had RFA as well) are dead at the moment.

scared behind couch

Completely 100% agree.

Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:20 pm

Mohawk Ridge Marauders wrote:
shrug  Han Yang and I had a $25 WB $1 bid match game Laughing
Ssh...
Reasons:
1) boost my post count.
2) keep the owner from nominating another player.
3) keep my options open.
4) trying to set a record for number of bids.
5) some other thing that I can't remember... oh yeah - actually trying to get the player for the cheapest amount within my budget. Brilliant idea, eh?

Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:07 am

San Francisco Golddiggers wrote:
Mohawk Ridge Marauders wrote:
shrug  Han Yang and I had a $25 WB $1 bid match game Laughing
Ssh...
Reasons:
1) boost my post count.
2) keep the owner from nominating another player.
3) keep my options open.
4) trying to set a record for number of bids.
5) some other thing that I can't remember... oh yeah - actually trying to get the player for the cheapest amount within my budget. Brilliant idea, eh?
Boring idea. You only have one life bro live it LARGE

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:18 pm

MFL having to be down for 4 days is freaking ridiculous. No other site in the world is down that long. I don't get it.

And thanks Jon, 23 hours later you bid on Sproles.  wink

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:36 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
MFL having to be down for 4 days is freaking ridiculous. No other site in the world is down that long. I don't get it.

Yeah, wasn't out of spite or anything. Really wanted to check my roster to see if I needed to spend 4WBs on him but MFL ruined that - daren't leave it any longer.

shrug

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:41 pm

England Dragons wrote:
Titletown Tyrants wrote:

Yeah, wasn't out of spite or anything. Really wanted to check my roster to see if I needed to spend 4WBs on him but MFL ruined that - daren't leave it any longer.

shrug

HAHA, no worries. Was just checking it and noticed that. Besides that player RFA in DD could have no players in 8 hours.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:44 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:

I'm no expert, but I don't see what they could possibly be doing. They say it's all "back end stuff." Everything was already setup, so I really have no clue what the hell they could be up to for 4 days.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:08 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:

Most services aren't up year round so I guess I cut them some slack. To Shawn's point...not sure what they're doing either but just knowing what goes into RW...I could understand that a service like MFL that covers so many things could very well have some big bhind-the-scenes type stuff that none of know anything about.....right?

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:14 pm

I saw Bonscott talking about MFL on one board.  I think that he's with MFL or closely connected (Andy knows more I"m sure).  And he made a comment about MFL only having 3-4 employees.  Which could explain the issue.

In most organizations, an upgrade of this type would likely be pretested on a copy of the network before they shut everything down and do the official implementation.  They should have already addressed all potential issues and by the time that they are ready to upgrade, it should be a fairly simple process.  Indeed, where the database isn't constantly changing, I would expect that the implementation would be almost instantaneous.  For this reason, I'm kind of surprised that this wasn't done on the 2016 version of the system before they transferred over the 2015 data.  It would seem that the transition could have been handled much more efficiently at that time.

It's tough to imagine this taking more than a few hours or a day, unless there really hasn't been any preplanning.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:18 pm

Looks like they'll be at it a bit longer.

Sent around 4:45 pm EST

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:23 pm

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
I saw Bonscott talking about MFL on one board.  I think that he's with MFL or closely connected (Andy knows more I"m sure).  And he made a comment about MFL only having 3-4 employees.  Which could explain the issue.

In most organizations, an upgrade of this type would likely be pretested on a copy of the network before they shut everything down and do the official implementation.  They should have already addressed all potential issues and by the time that they are ready to upgrade, it should be a fairly simple process.  Indeed, where the database isn't constantly changing, I would expect that the implementation would be almost instantaneous.  For this reason, I'm kind of surprised that this wasn't done on the 2016 version of the system before they transferred over the 2015 data.  It would seem that the transition could have been handled much more efficiently at that time.

It's tough to imagine this taking more than a few hours or a day, unless there really hasn't been any preplanning.

Yeah, MFL is a very small outfit out of Wisconsin I believe and based on everything I've seen/heard over the years and taking into account the complaints people have had about it over the years about introducing various things and not seeing anything come to fruition, I would bet that it's not much more sophisticated that running a league like this in terms of resources and time....meaning it would explain why they don't evolve to the degree people want if they aren't a big-time organization like some of their competitors (who I'll argue don't even compare).

I do agree they should probably step up their game...or more accurately their resources probably.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:30 pm

I help manage the release process as a major component of my job. It's not so much that MFL doesn't have the resources (in terms of people/employees), the issue is more likely their lack of redundancy of their servers and back end stuff. With more redundancy, you could upgrade one cluster of servers while the others remain up and then move on etc.

Perhaps they are switching to an infrastructure that is more robust in terms of redundancy so that outages of this duration are a thing of the past, but I haven't heard much about what they are doing.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:13 pm

Wisconsin is in central timezone? 47 minutes to go.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:38 am

Central buddy, that is correct. Maybe I should look up where they are and go slap them up a little.

Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:42 am

Titletown Tyrants wrote:

Central buddy, that is correct. Maybe I should look up where they are and go slap them up a little.

Yes, if you could do that it would be nice! Not hard, just enough to get their attention

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:03 am

Quote :
The MyFantasyLeague.com web site is in the process of a major database upgrade. This database upgrade is requiring more time than we anticipated, so we will need another day to complete the process. We sincerely apologize for the delays. We will continue working on it around the clock and the site should be back online sometime on Friday, April 22.

database upgrade...

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:26 am

Quote :
The MyFantasyLeague.com web site is in the process of a major database upgrade. This database upgrade is requiring more time than we anticipated, so we will need another day to complete the process. We sincerely apologize for the delays. We will continue working on it around the clock and the site should be back online sometime on Friday, April 22.

database upgrade...

Yeah, I can't imagine it would take 4 days if they were 'upgrading' from 11.0 to 12.0 or something. I'm wondering if their upgrade is a full on swap. Maybe moving away a relational DB to something else -- going from Oracle to a Hadoop Ecosystem???

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:48 am

The other thing that might be at play with the MFL upgrade is the role that the former founder played.  He passed away last year.  If they really are running with a handful of people, losing one person, particularly one with the knowledge he undoubtedly possessed, has to make things a lot more difficult.

But, in the end, it seems that there was not any real pre-planning before implementation.  And it looks like they may have encountered something unexpected.  With the current statement that there won't be any noticeable changes on the front end, it does raise the question whether MFL scraps this upgrade at this time and restores the prior system until they can work out the bugs.  I wouldn't be surprised to see one more period of downtime this offseason.

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:46 am

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:49 am

Eric,

Do you know what was at the top of that tweet?  I also went on Twitter and couldn't see it.  Was curious what the issue was.  

On a side note, can you imagine the torrent of trading activity that will be unleashed when they are back up and running?

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:06 am

It said they have come upon some unexpected problems....gibberish

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:06 am

One more day and I could have all my leagues moved to ESPN

NOT!

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:16 am

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
Eric,

Do you know what was at the top of that tweet?  I also went on Twitter and couldn't see it.  Was curious what the issue was.  

On a side note, can you imagine the torrent of trading activity that will be unleashed when they are back up and running?

I'M NOT A TWITTERER - I GOT THAT FROM THE LINK YOU POSTED ABOVED AND JUST CLICKED OVER TO THE LATEST TWIT - THATS WHERE I SAW/SEEN IT

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:17 am

MFL should be thanking Andy for keeping everyone over there.  I can't even consider moving and leaving all of the graphics work that he's done.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:53 am

There's almost nothing that would get me to switch from MFL. I've gotten better being patient. This just reinforces that I love having a separate forum so that unlike most leagues, not EVERYTHING has to come to a stop.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:57 am

Now here's the million dollar question.  Will any of these changes impact the way this site runs?  Is there a chance that we need to change links/data mapping/etc to get everything running here?

Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:57 am

I will never play in a Espn, Yahoo or Flea Flicker league! It's MFL for me all day. I know it sucks, but these guys are pretty good, so we are best just to wait it out

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:00 pm

Littleton SilverBallers wrote:
I will never play in a Espn, Yahoo or Flea Flicker league!  It's MFL for me all day.  I know it sucks, but these guys are pretty good, so we are best just to wait it out

I have one yahoo league left, it is with my family which is a redraft. Other than that, I have one other dynasty league on Flea. I do like Flea, just not as much as MFL.

I remember, MFL took some getting used to for me though.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:04 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Other than that, I have one other dynasty league on Flea. I do like Flea, just not as much as MFL.

My local league is on Flea ( I dont commish it) --------------ABSOLUTELY HATE IT.

It wont send updates when guys add drop players and it is horrible for dynasty, if you ask me. Future picks are nearly impossible.

At least the way our guy has it set up.

Why on earth wouldnt we want notifications of adds/drops. In that league you can pick up a guy as soon as he is dropped......makes zero sense why the site wont notify

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:05 pm

I will never play in a Espn, Yahoo or Flea Flicker league!  It's MFL for me all day.  I know it sucks, but these guys are pretty good, so we are best just to wait it out

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.

ESPN is fine for me for local redraft. Other than that it's MFL or bust.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:06 pm

ESPN is really good for live auctions.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:06 pm

Regarding Flea....

Future picks are super easy with the way our dude has it set up, same as MFL.

With adds/drops, we don't get emails either, but I constantly look at transactions anyway. I am sure you could set it so that emails are sent out.

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:29 pm

DOES ANYON PLAY ON "RSO" - IS IT ANY GOOD? - POSITIVES/NEGATIVES?

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:30 pm

Kane County Goon Squad wrote:
DOES ANYON PLAY ON "RSO" - IS IT ANY GOOD? - POSITIVES/NEGATIVES?

I registered there a couple years back and it seemed like a real pain in the ass to set up.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:12 pm

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
Now here's the million dollar question.  Will any of these changes impact the way this site runs?  Is there a chance that we need to change links/data mapping/etc to get everything running here?

Very minimal, if any. Already happened to us once this year on the last update. It only took a minute to fix.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:13 pm

I've been using MFL for dynasty leagues since 2010. I used ESPN before that. It's been so long that I can't even remember what it is MFL does better than ESPN outside of customization. Can anyone refresh my memory?

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:15 pm

Morrison Minions wrote:
I've been using MFL for dynasty leagues since 2010. I used ESPN before that. It's been so long that I can't even remember what it is MFL does better than ESPN outside of customization. Can anyone refresh my memory?

MFL is much better with notifications of pickups, etc.

ESPN's waiver wire system is awful -- you can really tweak your pickups more with MFL.

ESPN doesn't offer nearly as much as MFL in terms of commissioner options.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:22 pm

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
Morrison Minions wrote:

ESPN's waiver wire system is awful -- you can really tweak your pickups more with MFL.

I hate ESPN for fantasy with a passion. I like Yahoo when it comes to mainstream leagues, but again, it doesn't compare to MFL in customization in both commish powers, setup, and visual.

I do like Yahoo's waiver wire system and the way you can view players, projections, etc.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:34 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Regarding Flea....

Future picks are super easy with the way our dude has it set up, same as MFL.

With adds/drops, we don't get emails either, but I constantly look at transactions anyway. I am sure you could set it so that emails are sent out.

According to him he has looked every way possible

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:38 pm

MFL is running out of working hours...

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:43 pm

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
Morrison Minions wrote:

None of these are ringing a bell. This is what we are paying $70+ for?

I thought it was just for contract years. We like to manually do everything here from cave man times, so I was thinking maybe a switch wouldn't really be a big deal. I mean, our league is the forum, not MFL, right? I'm just trying to think outside of the box that I put myself in 6 years ago.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:46 pm

A full 5 days down. What a bunch of garbage. They said originally it would be up Wednesday. Gross.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:39 am

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
A full 5 days down. What a bunch of garbage. They said originally it would be up Wednesday. Gross.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread   

Back to top Go down

The 2016 RESTRICTED FREE AGENCY thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 13 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Main RW Lobby-
Jump to: