:: I forgot my password
x

Share | 

Formatting while posting

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
North Wales Knights

PostSubject: Formatting while posting   Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:27 pm

I am having a very hard time taking articles and posts I write in Word and trying to convert them into topic posts here.

When I cut and paste, I end up with random bold or size tags throughout the text and then spend an inordinate amount of time trying to fix the formatting.

Does anyone have any shortcuts or pointers to help with the formatting?

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Formatting while posting   Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:33 pm

North Wales Knights wrote:
I am having a very hard time taking articles and posts I write in Word and trying to convert them into topic posts here.

When I cut and paste, I end up with random bold or size tags throughout the text and then spend an inordinate amount of time trying to fix the formatting.

Does anyone have any shortcuts or pointers to help with the formatting?

If you do cntl shift v it will paste without any formatting at all, just plain text. You pretty much have to do one or the other.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Formatting while posting   Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:39 pm

I guess you could try to Google this and see if any sites are worth a shit.
convert word to bbcode

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Formatting while posting   Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:43 pm

Another option is do it in word, take a screen shot, and then upload the image.

I've done that before when formatting was annoying me

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Formatting while posting   Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:53 pm

Philadelphia Pigskins wrote:

This is what I do too.

Back to top Go down
Baja Beatniks

PostSubject: Re: Formatting while posting   Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:29 pm

I have done some long ass write-ups and I do them all on the site actually. That isn't very helpful, but it works for me. Often hitting preview to double check my formatting. I copy and paste into notepad or something just so I don't lose my work.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Formatting while posting   Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:05 pm

Norfolk Bombers wrote:
Philadelphia Pigskins wrote:

This is what I do too.

Thats similar to what I do with my in-season ranking article.... I make a jpg from the Excel files and then upload the images so the format looks like I want it to...

Back to top Go down
North Wales Knights

PostSubject: Re: Formatting while posting   Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:28 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Never considered a jpg file. Great idea.

Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Re: Formatting while posting   Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:01 pm

I have been working on a table for my playoff preview article, but for some reason there is a huge blank gap after my introduction text and before the actual table posts. I don't have any formatting in there, just the table command followed by all the stuff in the table. The table looks like I want it to, but I have no idea what causes the huge gap before it posts. Any quick thoughts on what the hell I am doing wrong?

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Formatting while posting   Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:03 pm

Charm City Justice wrote:
I have been working on a table for my playoff preview article, but for some reason there is a huge blank gap after my introduction text and before the actual table posts.  I don't have any formatting in there, just the table command followed by all the stuff in the table.  The table looks like I want it to, but I have no idea what causes the huge gap before it posts.  Any quick thoughts on what the hell I am doing wrong?

I am also looking for this for future stuff as well. I had the same issue when I did my contracts.

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Formatting while posting   Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:23 pm

Charm City Justice wrote:
I have been working on a table for my playoff preview article, but for some reason there is a huge blank gap after my introduction text and before the actual table posts.  I don't have any formatting in there, just the table command followed by all the stuff in the table.  The table looks like I want it to, but I have no idea what causes the huge gap before it posts.  Any quick thoughts on what the hell I am doing wrong?
i DIDNT DO MUCH HIGH TECH SHIT WITH MY ARTICLE BUT i HAD PROBLEMS WITH THIS ALMOST EVERY WEEK WITH BASIC TEXT

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Formatting while posting   Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:34 pm

It is tricky stuff, here's how I've had the best luck.  There's a "switch editor mode" on the far right of all the choices across the top, I make sure it's not selected.  Then I select the "Table mode" and set all those numbers to 1.  Then when you hit "insert", it should put one small box in your post.  From there, I "cut" my spreadsheet body that I want to use, and put my cursor in that one small box and hit "paste".  If you're using a smaller table and want to center it, do all that before you select the table option.

Now I don't know what browser you use, I've had the best luck with Fire Fox, I've also used Vivaldi, Edge, Brave, and maybe one or two others  laughing, but Fire Fox has seemed to come out the cleanest.  I'm no expert, as this is probably the hard way to do it, but it has worked for me, so I've stuck with it.   grin  Oh, and it only works if you're making a new topic.  It doesn't work if you're just commenting to a post.

Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice

PostSubject: Re: Formatting while posting   Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:01 pm

Eventually I got mine to work by taking out all of the "hard returns" in my code. It is much easier to write the code if you put in a carriage return/line break before each new piece of code but apparently this screws with something on forumotion and leads to the large gaps. Next article is going to be a pain in the ass to write like this, but at least I know what the problem is.

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Formatting while posting   Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:40 pm

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Formatting while posting   Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:25 am

I've been messing with this all night with no luck.  I know Brad posts his monthly activity reports and it looks like he embeds his Google Document into his post and it takes up the entire page.  I've also noticed that Ghoji had posted his spreadsheet for the minor league draft order and the spreadsheet takes up the whole page too.  I see Derrick using what looks like the same system too, and it works.  So my question to you three or anybody else that may know, how do you get it to size up with the page?  It may even be the way I'm doing it, and I may be doing it wrong.  Here's what I do:

I publish the page from Google Docs and then I click on the embed link and grab that page info and paste it here onto the body of my post. However, mine only shows a small box of the spreadsheet that barely takes up any of the page, and you have to use the scroll bars to see everything.  Am I going about it the wrong way?  Or do you all add additional coding to enlarge it? Here's how mine turns out when I post it:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Formatting while posting   

Back to top Go down

Formatting while posting
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Free For All-
Jump to: