HomeLog inRegisterFAQSearch

Share | 

DRAFTED column change in 2016

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: DRAFTED column change in 2016   Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:20 pm

I doubt anyone gives a damn or looks at it now, but I have been updating the DRAFTED column for players for a couple years. I would never do it again but since it took such an insane amount of time I don't want to just let it go either.

If you don't know, currently the column is used to indicate when a player entered our RW universe and how they did so. The one issue is that with certain players (for some unknown reason) the MFL system doesn't always track every transaction.

Anyway, right now all we are dealing with are trades so nothing needs to go on now. With the way we are running RFA this year, owners will shipping players via the TRADE option (which will maintain the DRAFTED column which is a nice perk for me) so nothing needs to happen there either.

As I have done in the past, after the draft, I just do a slight edit to drafted players so their DRAFTED column content will roll over year to year. So that is the same.

Which just leaves the change. In 2016, I am no longer going to research every player picked up. If a team adds a player I will just note THAT TRANSACTION. Example: (PLAYER X...FCFS ME 2016)

In a nutshell, this column will become an indication of where this player originated from LAST instead of ORIGINALLY (in the event that they have been released at any point).

Does this make sense? Anyone have questions? Anyone have suggestions that would improve the use of this column? I completely realize that the vast majority likely never look at it so maybe I am just humoring myself at this point..but I do like that it's there.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: DRAFTED column change in 2016   Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:47 pm

I look at it. I like it. And I appreciate it. I've wondered if that goes away do to an MFL setting. Reset contract when player is dropped, or whatever it is.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: DRAFTED column change in 2016   Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:48 pm

Are you saying the "transaction history" link on the player page doesn't always work?

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: DRAFTED column change in 2016   Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:56 pm

Totally understood. I would do whatever you can do to save some time. You invest time in other areas that are more important.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: DRAFTED column change in 2016   Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:23 pm

I am just now getting an idea of the ridiculous amount of time that you spend getting everything to look the way that it does -- and I'm sure that I am only seeing the tip of the iceberg. Whatever works for you is fine for me, but I have a feeling from what I've seen so far that you demand a lot more from yourself than I do so I am confident that I will be happy with whatever you decide.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: DRAFTED column change in 2016   Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:52 pm

Morrison Minions wrote:
I look at it. I like it. And I appreciate it. I've wondered if that goes away do to an MFL setting. Reset contract when player is dropped, or whatever it is.

Unless there is customized info entered, this column would reset each year. So when we draft, a player would show up with something like "3.4"...so in order for it to stick I have to come along and edit it to my version of "3.4 MM 2015".

When a player is dropped, it resets. So if you drop Sam Bradford and I pick him up a week later...I have had to go look to see when he was originally acquired and re-enter that data.

The original entry of all this shit took an insane amount of time. I would not recommend it to anyone nor would I do it again if it was back at ZERO. There is currently 819 players in the DD conference and 756 in the TT conference plus all of the players that have gone by the wayside over the years...so manually updating of nearly 2,000 players = gtfo

Morrison Minions wrote:
Are you saying the "transaction history" link on the player page doesn't always work?

I am saying there are flaws. I have contacted MFL on multiple occasions about it and presented evidence but they aren't too interested in dealing with it but can't blame them as who else notices this shit? There are players that don't have logical origins or moves...players that start with being traded for instance...but how were they acquired? I have seen first hand players that were picked up in both conferences and only one side has registered an event on that report even though the player was acquired in the same waiver period on both sides.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: DRAFTED column change in 2016   Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:00 pm

Outside of this being cool to look at, is there another intention for it?

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: DRAFTED column change in 2016   Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:07 pm

Morrison Minions wrote:
Outside of this being cool to look at, is there another intention for it?

Nope.

The roster report by default has that column and it's utterly useless as it'll only show players drafted THIS YEAR with content and every other player is listed as FA which is retarded. I have no doubt the entire column can be coded away but then it's just a boring waste of space....so I went uber-nerd a few years back and customized the entire damn thing because MFL informed me that if custom info is inputted it would carry over year to year.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: DRAFTED column change in 2016   Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:52 pm

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Unless there is customized info entered, this column would reset each year.  So when we draft, a player would show up with something like "3.4"...so in order for it to stick I have to come along and edit it to my version of "3.4 MM 2015".

When a player is dropped, it resets.  So if you drop Sam Bradford and I pick him up a week later...I have had to go look to see when he was originally acquired and re-enter that data.

What I am suggesting is to change this option:

Reset Player Salary/Contract To League Default

From "when a player is dropped" to "never"

Would that work?

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: DRAFTED column change in 2016   Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:54 am

I look at it and don't mind and even kind of like it shows where they originally come from (sooner or later they will all say where they were drafted and I like that)

Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: DRAFTED column change in 2016   Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:30 am

Ya I saw it and thought it was cool.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: DRAFTED column change in 2016   Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:35 am

Is this a job that can be delegated? Or do you have to be the one doing it? I realize that it would involve sharing a commish password but it might make sense to pass off this task so you can focus on other things.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: DRAFTED column change in 2016   Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:31 am

Morrison Minions wrote:
Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Unless there is customized info entered, this column would reset each year.  So when we draft, a player would show up with something like "3.4"...so in order for it to stick I have to come along and edit it to my version of "3.4 MM 2015".

When a player is dropped, it resets.  So if you drop Sam Bradford and I pick him up a week later...I have had to go look to see when he was originally acquired and re-enter that data.

What I am suggesting is to change this option:

Reset Player Salary/Contract To League Default

From "when a player is dropped" to "never"

Would that work?

No. That is for actual contracts.

If I were to drop Aaron Rodgers (and that setting is on NEVER) then whoever picked him up would get him on a 6 year deal.
As it stands now (with setting on WHEN A PLAYER IS DROPPED) then if someone picked him up he would come with a 1 year deal (which is what it should be).

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: DRAFTED column change in 2016   Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:37 am

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
Is this a job that can be delegated? Or do you have to be the one doing it? I realize that it would involve sharing a commish password but it  might make sense to pass off this task so you can focus on other things.

Sharing the commish password for this league isn't a direction I want to go...way too many moving parts and obviously coding things that would be at risk. It's not a big deal. I'm just gonna stop researching players if they are released and re-acquired. In those cases, I'll just notate how they were acquired.

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: DRAFTED column change in 2016   Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:15 pm

I give a damn.

Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers

PostSubject: Re: DRAFTED column change in 2016   Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:40 pm

Sounds good to me.

In my league I have to go through and edit these after the draft, because we only keep track of who and when a player was drafted. So I totally understand how long that took and appreciate the time you took to finish it cheers

Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers

PostSubject: Re: DRAFTED column change in 2016   Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:52 am

I like the column but appreciate the fact that it takes oodles of effort so going with what works for you.

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: DRAFTED column change in 2016   Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:50 am

Bumping as an FYI for new guys.

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: DRAFTED column change in 2016   Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:19 am

Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:
Bumping as an FYI for new guys.

I noticed it right away. However it took me the longest time to figure out the initials posted. For example, UDFA DTO. I nailed the UnDrafted Free-Agent right away. What the hell does DTO stand for? I don't want to say how long it took me to finally figure out Devils Tower Outlaws, or that it stood for all the other team's initials. embarrassed

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DRAFTED column change in 2016   

Back to top Go down

DRAFTED column change in 2016
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Main RW Lobby-
Jump to: