HomeLog inRegisterFAQSearch

Share | 

Email vs Text

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Email vs Text   Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:00 pm

Was just thinking about this as I have been communicating with a number of owners in the past couple days. Does anyone prefer to communicate via text rather than email? I love to receive emails with trade offers, but if someone is inquiring about a player, discussing a trade, saying what's up, I prefer text.

I know some may not be comfortable with it, but if you are, just know I am. (Man, that kind of sounded weird...)

Do others text, or mostly email? I feel most here know each other well enough, but maybe that's just me.

Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:12 pm

I am comfortable with either. I get a lot of texts so have no issues with any owner reaching me that way.

Back to top Go down
Las Vegas DeGenerates

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:23 pm

I definitely prefer text. Just simpler.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:31 pm

I text Brian all the time about what kind of beer I should drink on Saturdays.

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:47 pm

prefer e-mail

but have no problem texting

Back to top Go down
Baja Beatniks

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:38 pm

Ha!  Sty has softened over the years apparently.  When I was new to the league, he damn near threatened my life after I tried to hash out a trade via e-mail.  Only offers through MFL were allowed. laughing

Text can certainly help speed up the back and forth.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:23 pm

I am an email guy...texts require immediate attention which I might be able to give and then they get forgotten whereas emails don't leave my sight until I delete them from the to-do list inbox.

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:08 am

E-mail for me. Apart from the obvious potential cost of texting abroad (depends on your plan I guess), I leave e-mails in my inbox until dealt with. I'd forget texts if I got one at work.

doh

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:59 am

Baja Beatniks wrote:
Ha!  Sty has softened over the years apparently.  When I was new to the league, he damn near threatened my life after I tried to hash out a trade via e-mail.  Only offers through MFL were allowed.  laughing

Text can certainly help speed up the back and forth.
I was on different meds back then! Now I'm normal.

Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:13 pm

Email

Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:33 pm

Email or text. Don't bother me either way.

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:36 pm

Littleton SilverBallers wrote:
Email or text.  Don't bother me either way.  

Fine I wont....But how should we contact you?!?!?!??!

doh

:happy:

Back to top Go down
Kirksville Growlers

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:07 pm

I prefer email but I am good either way

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:08 pm

I prefer texting.

Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:03 pm

Norfolk Bombers wrote:
Littleton SilverBallers wrote:
Email or text.  Don't bother me either way.  

Fine I wont....But how should we contact  you?!?!?!??!

doh

:happy:

I guess I should've reworded that laughing

You guys CAN contact me via Email or Text with offers

Back to top Go down
Hamilton Steel Cats

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:10 am

Email ONLY. I do not Text. I do not even own a cell phone.

coffee

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:53 am

I prefer email

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:25 am

Email for me, at least if you want to get a dialog started. Prefer to use an actual keyboard for typing.

And with email access on my phone I receive the messages just as quickly.

Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:19 pm

I prefer email and that's usually how I initiate trade talks but if the owner I'm dealing with would prefer to text I'm good with that.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:33 pm

I fucking looooaaath texting. Email all the way.

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:34 pm

Email works for me because it is much less likely to get lost.

Back to top Go down
Belgium Waffles

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:33 pm

Emailing is good to open trades and when you don't have the time to text. Texting is good when you both have time. Phone calls are even better. I prefer texting.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:39 pm

I just completed my first Text trade with Allen. Thank to this thread, otherwise I wouldn't have messaged him.

Back to top Go down
Baja Beatniks

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:51 pm

Tarpon Springs RedKnights wrote:
I just completed my first Text trade with Allen. Thank to this thread, otherwise I wouldn't have messaged him.

I tried texting Allen, but he never replied.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:09 pm

Allen? Huh?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:42 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:

Allen? Huh?
Oops Sorry Jeff.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:05 pm

I don't get it.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:25 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
I don't get it.
Wow sorry man. Not trying upset you... Ok George talk later man. Sorry again.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:34 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
I don't get it.
Wow sorry man. Not trying upset you... Ok George talk later man. Sorry again.

Settle down Steve.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:29 pm

Just worked out a trade on Facebook chat. Man I love trading. Tom, I don't think you were officially an owner when this was a topic.

Sty, you are Allen.

Back to top Go down
North Wales Knights

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:15 pm

I prefer email too.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:40 am

Bern, what about you?

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:41 am

One thing folks are going to learn about me is that I am very long-winded in most of my replies and responses. For now, I prefer e-mails. And here's why: For work, all of our after hours and weekend calls come via text. So when that damn phone goes off with a text alert, it generally makes me cringe. On nights when I'm first up and then my son texts, I'm panicking that I have to go out to work and then get that sense of relief when it's my son. But those first few seconds of dread when I'm retrieving my phone is too much to take if I start getting a bunch of trade offer texts. laughing Now of course, my phone may be smart enough to where I can probably assign ring tones to various folks and I should probably look into that. Then that will definitely ease the pain. So let me research that. Then again, I work all kinds of crazy hours at night. So what may be a normal time for somebody to send a text, maybe a time I was out towing all night and am sleeping in. For me, there is no silencing the phone as it has to stay turned on 24/7. For general purposes, I'm a west coast night owl. If you guys start texting me at 8am(EST), I'm still snoring away. shrug

So now that I think about it even more, let's go with e-mails for now. laughing Also, can you see the length of this answer? How am I supposed to text all this? Because this is how long my trade offer responses are too. laughing

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:46 am

Well that works for me. I am on different pages with all owners. Some I text to discuss, some we email so either is fine.

When Andy gets you set up I have a couple offers to shoot your way. Start looking at my roster and let me know of any players/picks/WB's you want from me, I have already creeped your roster several times. laughing

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:54 am

Now's the time to hit me up before I get too attached to anybody. laughing Remember, I'm a sucker for youth, so I have a hard time trading away my young guys (not saying that I won't). By the way, is there a place where the WB balance is for a team? Or all teams? I was searching for it last night, but not in the right places. shrug

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:00 am

Nevada NightHawks wrote:
Now's the time to hit me up before I get too attached to anybody. laughing  Remember, I'm a sucker for youth, so I have a hard time trading away my young guys (not saying that I won't).  By the way, is there a place where the WB balance is for a team?  Or all teams?  I was searching for it last night, but not in the right places. shrug

Standings, last column, you have the 2nd most in DD. WB's are gold in DD, I am looking for WB's so feel free to offer for players as well.

http://www65.myfantasyleague.com/2016/standings?L=38933

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:17 am

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Nevada NightHawks wrote:
Now's the time to hit me up before I get too attached to anybody. laughing  Remember, I'm a sucker for youth, so I have a hard time trading away my young guys (not saying that I won't).  By the way, is there a place where the WB balance is for a team?  Or all teams?  I was searching for it last night, but not in the right places. shrug

Standings, last column, you have the 2nd most in DD. WB's are gold in DD, I am looking for WB's so feel free to offer for players as well.

Dammit, last night I was looking on the team roster pages and here in the forums.  The hard part for me will be learning the true value of WB, especially when offering that for a player.  Player for Player, you can evaluate stats, age, potential, ect. in determining if a deal will work, or not.  WB offers for a player is new to me and I don't want to insult anybody with a low WB offer, or break my bank because I'm throwing WB's around willy-nilly. Definitely going to go back in history to get a feel for WB's in past trade deals to get a feel for that.  I also gotta get a feel for how WB's are spent thoughout the year.

As for texts, everybody has different schedules and time zones.  What do "normal" people do with their phones?  Do you guys just shut them off, or silence them at night, work, or times when you can't be interrupted?  Can't do that with mine, so I always assumed everybody else has there's on 24/7.  Probably not, huh?

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:32 am

My phone is always on, always within 2 feet of me. I have woken up in the middle of the night and responded to offers, but I am probably in the minority on that.

Everyone values WB's differently, so there are some major differences in all the trades you will find.

Back to top Go down
Maple Grove Mean Machine

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:38 pm

Email

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:52 pm

Nevada NightHawks wrote:
Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Nevada NightHawks wrote:

Dammit, last night I was looking on the team roster pages and here in the forums.  The hard part for me will be learning the true value of WB, especially when offering that for a player.  Player for Player, you can evaluate stats, age, potential, ect. in determining if a deal will work, or not.  WB offers for a player is new to me and I don't want to insult anybody with a low WB offer, or break my bank because I'm throwing WB's around willy-nilly. Definitely going to go back in history to get a feel for WB's in past trade deals to get a feel for that.  I also gotta get a feel for how WB's are spent thoughout the year.

As for texts, everybody has different schedules and time zones.  What do "normal" people do with their phones?  Do you guys just shut them off, or silence them at night, work, or times when you can't be interrupted?  Can't do that with mine, so I always assumed everybody else has there's on 24/7.  Probably not, huh?

I tried doing some research on the value of WBs and there's a thread or a portion of a thread somewhere here dealing with that.  The one thing that I didn't realize until I tried to post the results of my research was that there was a large disparity between the two conferences in the value of WBs.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:55 pm

Actually, I found the thread.  My analysis was first posted on February 15th.

http://rosterwars.forumotion.com/t6050-value-picks-wb

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
I was talking to another owner about this recently.  I had gone back and reviewed past trades and history of WBs.

My initial thought was that WBs were the holy grail of RWs.  They have to be -- what's the the draft pick value of being able to lock up Andrew Luck for 10 years?  It has to be 4, 5 1st round picks.  Right?  So 100 WBs for that works out to 20-25 WBs for a 1st round pick.  But then we see how people actually use these picks.  50 WBs for Roddy White.  25 WBs for Kenny Bell.  Oh, and there are others.  So now WBs are like singles in a shady strip club.  As long as you can get a rub on the "leg" you don't mind tossing them around and you really don't care about what you get.

Then I looked at what happens in the RFA period.  Most of you know what goes on there but it seems that, when used to pick up players in the RFA period, WBs are more valuable than they are in the context of draft picks and trades.  That is, people tend to be very tight with WBs in the RFA period -- from what I understand this is particularly true in one conference versus the other.

So I finally looked at what is going on with the total volume of WBs in RWDOC.  First, less owners are allowing themselves to run out of WBs.  It was more common for an owner to go under 50 WBs in the early days than it is now.  Which would you lead you to think that owners are gaining WBs.   [EDIT - this information was wrong and should not have been included here].   But it's really a select few that are hoarding WBs while most are spending them.  In terms of overall WBs, it's been steadily declining.  I'm not sure what happened at the outset but the teams had a total of 4,255 WBs at the end of 2012.  But it dropped from there, to 3,378 at the end of 2013, 3,025 at the end of 2014, and 2,425 at the end of 2015.  But I think that we are close to the bottom of where people will be at the end of the year.  With less people going below 50 WBs and more teams hoarding them, I think that 2,000-2,400 will be where the total volume will bottom out at the end of each year.

So what does this mean?  Not sure.  But it does appear that people tend to be loose with WBs until their balance gets low and then they get very stingy.  So people are more likely to spend WBs in the beginning of the offseason in making trades (Roddy deal on 3/7; Bell deal was on February 7) but more stingy in trades later in the year (i.e. Diggs going for only 35 WBs in October 2015).  I haven't looked at this aspect fully but I think that people are more liberal in doling out tags then they are in giving out cash to pick up guys.

Finally, and this is the most interesting thing that I have noticed, is that it does not appear that many owners have an internal set value on WBs.  I have had several situations where an owner offers me X WBs for a draft pick.  But when I offer the same number of WBs for a pick relatively lower, the offer is declined.  Thus, it seems that people seem to have a generalized valuation of WBs but don't want to get into the middle ground where they are fine tuning their WBs valuations.

Hopefully this makes sense.  It was typed during several phone calls.  But it's just some general musings from the new guy on the block.

Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:44 pm

Thanks for the post and link Russ.  I actually read thru the whole thread about WB's.  What's my final conclusion on all the WB talk? Basically the same as it was in the thread, different folks have different views.  I guess there's really no right way or wrong way to go about spending and saving.  It tends to be a personal preference and I just need to create my own strategy on how to handle them.  I guess now is the time to start building that strategy.  Thanks again Russ.  vote yes

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:08 am

Nevada NightHawks wrote:
I guess there's really no right way or wrong way to go about spending and saving.  It tends to be a personal preference and I just need to create my own strategy on how to handle them.

yes

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Email vs Text   

Back to top Go down

Email vs Text
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Main RW Lobby-
Jump to: