HomeLog inRegisterFAQSearch

Share | 

A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:39 pm

With 2015 in the books it is time to start looking at 2016 Free Agency.  As we decide who to tag here is some food for though as to how using the Franchise Tag and the Transition tag went (SFT and 1yr ext lock a player up so I did not look at them) over the last three years -

FT
10 FTs were used (5 each conference) using 41.7% of possible tags.

3 were bid on (2 in DD and 1 in TT)

30% of all FTs were bid on(40% of DD and 20% of TT).  

TT
13 TTs were used (5 in DD and 8 in TT) using 54.2% of possible tags (42.2% of DD and 66.7%).

9 were bid on (2 in DD and 7 in TT)

69.2% of all TTs were bid on (40% of DD and 88.9% of TT)

As this was the first year there was not a big need to tag this year.  I did find it interesting that TT bid on less FTs and more on TTs.  As this was the first year of FA it seems like people were flush with WBs and willing to bid on such names as C Shorts (FT), R Sherman (TT), and A Spencer (TT)...

FT
16 FTs were used ( 9 in DD and 7 in TT) using 66.7% of possible tags ( 75% of DD and 58.3% of TT).

3 were bid on* (3 in DD and 0 in TT)

18.8% of all FTs were bid on* (33.3% of DD and 0% of TT).

TT
20 TTs were used (10 in each conference) using 83.3% of possible tags.

5 were bid on* ( 4 in DD and 1 in TT)

25% of all TTs were bid on* (40% of DD and 10% of TT)

*This year started the retarded process of owners starting the bidding on their own tags to close the auction on the player. I did not count this a player being bid on.

This year saw the number of players getting tagged go up and the number of players getting legit bids going down.  We went from 23 total tags to 36 total tags and from 12 players being bid on to 8 players being bid on.  I think tagging went up as we moved another year away from the inaugural auction and player bidding went down as we did not have 2 years of built up Wbs.   I found it very interesting that TT only bid on one player (D Johnson) and that was a late bid if I remember correctly.  This is the first sign that TT owners are tighter with Wbs than Justin's sphincter when Bob is around.

FT
18 FTs were used  (9 in each conference) using 75% of possible tags.

2 were bid on ( 2 in DD and 0 in TT)

11.1% of FTs were bid on (22.2% of DD and 0% of TT)

TT

21 TTs were used (10 in DD and 11 in TT) using 87.5% of possible tags (83.3% of DD and 91.7% of TT).

7 were bid on (5 in DD and 2 in TT)

33.3% of all TTs were bid on (50% of DD and 18.2% of TT)

This year we see tags go up again from 36 to 39; however, the number of players bid on went up this time as well, 8 to 9.  This does mark two years in a row that TT did not bid on a FT player.  Also, this is a second consecutive year where DD bid on more players than TT.  TT again showed itself as being very stingy with bidding on tagged players.

Overall FTed players seem somewhat safe in DD and VERY SAFE in TT.  Maybe this is due to the level of players being tagged.  Maybe owners just do not like giving up a first.  TT players have a decent chance to be bid on in DD, but again are somewhat safe in TT.

Will this be the year that all 24 TTs are finally used?  Will this be the year that TT bids on a FTed player again? Will TT bid on more tagged players than DD?  Did anyone read this?

Thoughts?

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:41 pm

If anyone want to see who was tagged each year (and bid on) they can look it up in the history threads like I did LAZY FUCKERS I can post SS of my Spread sheet.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:56 pm

Nice work Dave.

I think as we move forward in the league that folks will become more prone to bid on these tagged players. I know I was surprised to see how infrequently tagged players were bid on.

Back to top Go down
California Nightmare

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:01 pm

Good work D.

This is very useful going into RFA. I have already made my Tag decisions for 2016 and looking at your numbers I don't think I will be changing a thing.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:04 pm

Interesting post really. I think tagged players getting bidded on will be more popular too. Now.....off to look at our roster.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:30 pm

Thanks a lot for this look Dave.

My initial thoughts...

1. As we are finally getting far enough away from the initial auction the number of big name players hitting free agency should start increasing (although it's something that will ebb and flow year to year obviously) I would be shocked if the usage of tags doesn't increase overall. Are you gonna just let your talent leave?

2. TT has been notoriously tight in comparison to DD in almost anything relating to WBs. I guess that could continue but wouldn't ya think at some point the bubble will burst? I mean, if I were there and had some money and knew everyone else was tight as fuck, why wouldn't I push all-in at some point and try to make a big push? Can 12 individuals all go year in and year out without someone going that route?

There are obviously different strategies but often times it comes down to where your team stands and what makes sense so you can either win now or win later. At the end of the day, players win championships. What are you gonna do to get the right players at the right time is really the only thing that means anything. I think the next 4 years will be quite a bit more fun than the last 4 in this category again because the initial auction is now as much of a factor.

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:55 pm

Andy, I cannot disagree with anything you said. I think TT threw down some major WBs on non tagged players last year though. Maybe TT has better untagged players, or maybe we just value picks more...

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:23 pm

Good stuff Dave.

Not a fucking clue as to what it will mean for 2016 though!

laughing

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:46 pm

Norfolk Bombers wrote:
Andy,  I cannot disagree with anything you said.  I think TT threw down some major WBs on non tagged players last year though.  Maybe TT has better untagged players, or maybe we just value picks more...

True. For me to pretend like I have so much as 20% of the knowledge that people actually in TT have would be silly.

TT seems to spend less, value picks and WBs more and have a general disinterest in owning players that COULD help them out even if they have room to roster said players. If it had any impact on me I would have called ya'll out multiple times when someone finally added a player that was a decent start who had been owned in DD for weeks or months. There have been some WEIRD ones.

shrug

Whatever.

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:53 pm

Andy, I did not mean to question your knowledge in any way. I was just drawing comparisons between conferences.

shrug

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:03 pm

Norfolk Bombers wrote:
Andy, I did not mean to question your knowledge in any way.   I was just drawing comparisons between conferences.  

shrug

I know. Didn't think you were...I must have chosen weird words in my last response. I was just talking..I was agreeing with you and adding random nonsense...

cheers

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:16 pm

Oh, well in that case. FUCK YOU! You do not know shit!

tongue

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:20 pm

England Dragons wrote:
Good stuff Dave.

Not a fucking clue as to what it will mean for 2016 though!

laughing

Not sure that is has a direct effect on 2016, but indirectly it shows a trend in spending habits. This shows that if player quality stays the same then FTing someone in TT almost surly locks them up. Not so much in DD. Things like that is all.

Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:41 pm

Thanks Dave

Back to top Go down
Baja Beatniks

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:08 pm

With only about 10% of FT drawing bids, are we using them incorrectly? Or perfectly?

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:22 pm

Baja Beatniks wrote:
With only about 10% of FT drawing bids, are we using them incorrectly? Or perfectly?

I would say perfectly. Maybe the players FTed will get better and the percent bid on will go up. As Andy said, most studs taken in the original auction were locked up for more than 3 years...

shrug

I bet that if Shawn were to FT Watt there would be bids for him.

mischevious

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:45 pm

Norfolk Bombers wrote:
Oh, well in that case. FUCK YOU! You do not know shit!

tongue

That's probably closer to accurate than it is to inaccurate. lol3

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:46 pm

Norfolk Bombers wrote:
I bet that if Shawn were to FT Watt there would be bids for him.

mischevious

Hahaha no.

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:53 pm

How do you all know that I dont have a deal with Shawn already worked out to get Watt back. Perhaps I will be sending over 500 WBs for him.

Shawn, you apparently have a big mouth and cant keep a secret.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:57 pm

He's mine. FOREVER! yay

You're my bitch JJ Watt. I fuckin own you.

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:18 pm

You just gave him the kiss of death. He will tear up his knee playing basketball next month.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:21 pm

Naperville Divine wrote:
You just gave him the kiss of death. He will tear up his knee playing basketball next month.

slap

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:51 pm

Also in a Meta kinda of way posting this information may change how the tags are used and hence impact 2016...

Back to top Go down
Las Vegas DeGenerates

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:25 pm

Great research and write up Dave! Can't wait to see the tags this off-season as I build my championship squad!

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:08 am

I just wanted to say a big f##k you to all TT owners who didn't bit on Demarco Murray last year.

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:50 pm

Just had a look over the rosters. Just like in the NFL cap management is about to come home to haunt some teams... mischevious

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:02 pm

Atlanta Africans wrote:
Just had a look over the rosters. Just like in the NFL cap management is about to come home to haunt some teams... mischevious

scared

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:10 pm

Atlanta Africans wrote:

This should be a fun FA season for sure!

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:14 pm

I've mapped mine out, a couple things I want to do will be a pain in the ass, but it's fun.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)   

Back to top Go down

A Look Back at Tagging Useage and Bidding on Tags (2013-2015)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Main RW Lobby-
Jump to: