:: I forgot my password
x

Share | 

Are we headed in the right direction?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:48 pm

Naperville Divine wrote:
Are you certain?  I could have sworn this was the emoji code:

Ijackingoffonminions

party4 You win!

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:48 pm

The most incredible thing in this thread is that Dave thought that was a squirrel.

shocking

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:49 pm

Do they have squirrels on your island?????

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:54 pm

Norfolk Bombers wrote:
Do they have squirrels on your island?????

If the animal can't kill you, we probably have it.

laughing

Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:11 pm

Laughing

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:15 pm

Now it is becoming a Montie Python bit.

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:17 pm

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:22 pm

That was the best scene: Killer rabbit was another good one.

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:58 pm

I watched that movie 1000 time in HS. Still quote it to the dismay of my wife!

Back to top Go down
Singapore Slings

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:15 pm

England Dragons wrote:
The most incredible thing in this thread is that Dave thought that was a squirrel.

shocking

I always thought it was a squirrel too...

scared

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:10 pm

Singapore Slings wrote:
England Dragons wrote:

shocking

I always thought it was a squirrel too...

scared

thank you

Back to top Go down
Baja Beatniks

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:38 pm

Morrison Minions wrote:
I'm hoping I can get everyone to answer a question I have, or at least just say shut up, youre being a douche. Question is, who is still excited about this league, and who is feeling like it's not for them?

I'm not excited about the league at the moment. In premise, I still think the league is for me. The reality? Dunno.

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:11 am

Baja Beatniks wrote:
Morrison Minions wrote:
I'm hoping I can get everyone to answer a question I have, or at least just say shut up, youre being a douche. Question is, who is still excited about this league, and who is feeling like it's not for them?

I'm not excited about the league at the moment.  In premise, I still think the league is for me.  The reality?  Dunno.

Say more?

Back to top Go down
Baja Beatniks

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:00 pm

Atlanta Africans wrote:
Baja Beatniks wrote:
Morrison Minions wrote:

I'm not excited about the league at the moment.  In premise, I still think the league is for me.  The reality?  Dunno.

Say more?

This league is generally worth fighting for, but at the same time I acknowledge holding an unpopular, minority opinion. Citing the flak Shawn has caught for his observation in the OP and the wholesale sympathy owners have received in this thread and others for having their rule violations punished, an uncomfortable dynamic has been created. At this point, I've decided to view it as a personal problem and solve it by way of personal decision. To elaborate further would yield no benefit.

Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:13 pm

Baja Beatniks wrote:
Atlanta Africans wrote:
Baja Beatniks wrote:
Morrison Minions wrote:

Say more?

This league is generally worth fighting for, but at the same time I acknowledge holding an unpopular, minority opinion.  Citing the flak Shawn has caught for his observation in the OP and the wholesale sympathy owners have received in this thread and others for having their rule violations punished, an uncomfortable dynamic has been created.  At this point, I've decided to view it as a personal problem and solve it by way of personal decision.  To elaborate further would yield no benefit.

Spock... Is that you?... Spock...

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:14 pm

Thanks for expanding Corey.

What is your minority opinion that you refer to?

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:29 pm

I guess I will have to reevaluate how much time I spend contributing here. The Magic 8 ball is gone, the 2 minute drill is gone, and the Tuesday takeaway is gone. Those 3 things alone are what make me enjoy this place so much. Now there isn't any talk about fantasy football at all, outside of good luck Jon, congratulations Jon. All the posting going on now feels forced, and not much fun. 12 matchups with DD against TT, and there didn't seem to be anyone that cared about 11 of them. Anyway, no one cares what I think, so I'll try to let it go.

Back to top Go down
Las Vegas DeGenerates

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:21 am

yea... ran out of steam on the 2-minute drill. i apologize for that one.

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:53 am

I think more help is needed with articles. It takes a lot to write one every week.

Carla helped me out lots earlier in the year by doing 4 or 5 MM's and I'll be looking for someone to split it 8/8 with me next year.

Perhaps we need to do that with some of the others. Split them 8/8 and have those 2 writers organise themselves so there is every article every week?

In regards to posting, I respectfully disagree. I compare this any other league I see and there is hardly any posting at all in any of them. One league has a superpot in it this year - about $5k to the winner - and there's been 3 posts in the last 2 weeks.

You'll never get past people wanting some time away once they are out. It's natural. I like to punish myself by setting my line-up every week in every league no matter what. That way I can see how I would have fared had I not been knocked out and I also feel like I'm learning something. But that's me...

We do need to do better with the articles though. Trouble is, it falls on the same handful of people every week and it's tough to spend 3 hours writing something when very few people bother to read or comment on them.

cheers

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:03 am

England Dragons wrote:
In regards to posting, I respectfully disagree. I compare this any other league I see and there is hardly any posting at all in any of them.

I'd venture to guess that you wouldn't disagree with the fact that there wasn't any posts for at least 10 of the matchups this week. Which would only mean you disagree with my motion that we should be talking about them at all. I can see why people have that stance, but I don't believe it is a stance that supports this league being the best league in the world.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:16 am

Morrison Minions wrote:
England Dragons wrote:
In regards to posting, I respectfully disagree. I compare this any other league I see and there is hardly any posting at all in any of them.

I'd venture to guess that you wouldn't disagree with the fact that there wasn't any posts for at least 10 of the matchups this week. Which would only mean you disagree with my motion that we should be talking about them at all. I can see why people have that stance, but I don't believe it is a stance that supports this league being the best league in the world.

I think that the issue lies, at least in the first instance, with the 20 owners involved in those games. I would have thought that there would be some sort of chatter between opponents heading into those games, at least for the "higher-level" games. Most people focus on the "big game" but I know that, in many leagues, the 3rd and 4th place teams and the 5th and 6th place teams usually have some pre-game chatter, some comments during the games, and usually a congratulations or concession at the end of the game. But it's not being done because it has to be done. I've always thought that it's always a good idea to develop relationships with those owners where you can because you'll likely be a trade partner with them at some point.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:05 am

Man I feel like the Minions are really disappointed in us.

Jon you are 100% correct, doing articles take ALOT of time and effort. I think Andy should require everyone E V E R Y O N E to write 1-2 articles in the year. At least one.

If people did they would understand how much time and effort is required.

I also would be happy to fill in again for you next year Jon......but maybe we can find 3 teams to share. Honestly it is fun, and it does help me engage in player values and learn the RW lineups more than if I had not participated.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:27 am

Kingdom City Growlers 2 wrote:
Man I feel like the Minions are really disappointed in us.

Jon you are 100% correct, doing articles take ALOT of time and effort.  I think Andy should require everyone E V E R Y O N E to write 1-2 articles in the year.   At least one.  

If people did they would understand how much time and effort is required.  

I also would be happy to fill in again for you next year Jon......but maybe we can find 3 teams to share.  Honestly it is fun, and it does help me engage in player values and learn the RW lineups more than if I had not participated.

I totally agree that the load should be shared. I already reached out to Andy and said whatever I can do to help I am game for. If everyone does a little it can make a lot of people's lives just a tiny bit easier.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:56 am

Articles are a ton of work and I know what goes into it. Was very happy to have someone pick up Bob's after I filled in for a couple weeks. It's a lot to try and balance.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:03 am

It's hard to remain quiet but I just want to address everything at once AFTER the season is over when we can all focus on those sorts of topics without it taking away from the game OR in my case I want to ensure all the payouts and such get handled perfectly before I get lathered up into other stuff.

I will say this much...I am absolutely in agreement when it comes to sharing the workload around here and how having just 1 (or 2) people taking on an article all year is too much (or at least too much when there are others doing next to nothing).

As for chatter about matchups...that one I'm torn on. First, like someone mentioned above part of it has to do with the relationship between the owners. It's much easier if it's someone you feel you know well versus a guy you barely know anything about. Also, we all know the ideal way this sort of stuff can play out but then you get chippy cunts who let it spiral into a fucking mess that we all have to deal with (see Daycare Wars). I would love to work on ways to increase the chatter every week about our games but I would also want to find ways to emphasize the good-natured way of doing it so it's fun for all. I suppose that just comes down to folks understanding boundaries cuz there is such a thing as "too much".

Eh...whatever...we have great folks here so when the season ends I have no doubt that we'll work together to make shit even better like we always do.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:07 am

Shit talking can be fun but I only ever do it in an over-the-top-obviously-kidding way. I do this for two reasons.

#1 - It keeps everything light and fun.

#2 - My team sucks and I have no right to shit talk.

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:10 am

YEAH, HARD TO TALK SHIT WHEN YOUR TEAM SUCKS

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:17 am

Kane County Goon Squad wrote:
YEAH, HARD TO TALK SHIT WHEN YOUR TEAM SUCKS

It's hard to talk shit BEFORE your games for damn sure but there are fun ways to talk smack AFTER although sometimes it feels cold to do so.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:21 am

Mohawk Ridge Marauders wrote:
Shit talking can be fun but I only ever do it in an over-the-top-obviously-kidding way.  I do this for two reasons.

I'm not gonna lie, I enjoyed the day or two where you upped the trash talking game.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:21 am

Exactly then you're a sore winner and a dick.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:22 am

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
Shit talking can be fun but I only ever do it in an over-the-top-obviously-kidding way.  I do this for two reasons.

I'm not gonna lie, I enjoyed the day or two where you upped the trash talking game.  

When I still had a chance and actually snuck into the playoffs...

Those were the days.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:24 am

Bergen Brawlers wrote:

When I still had a chance and actually snuck into the playoffs...

Those were the days.

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:48 am

Exactly then you're a sore winner and a dick.  

GOOD POINT

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:57 am

lets also remember that championship week is Christmas week. I know I have been inundated with family since Wednesday. Trust me I'd rather be here upping my post count...

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:22 pm

Love the Al Bundy. I once scored 4 touchdowns in a high school football game.

Back to top Go down
Baja Beatniks

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:01 pm

Regarding keeping up articles and sharing responsibility, I want to tell a short story...

I picked up the Tuesday Takeaway for a couple of weeks when Bob was drowning and I wasn't the only one. After the 2nd week, Bob started posting again briefly so I shot him an email telling him that I was happy to help but didn't want to take his baby from him. Asked him to let me know if he wanted me to keep it going. No response and we got no article that week. Not a knock on Bob at all. That's just what happened.

All that is to say that communication is all it probably takes if you're slammed and can't keep up a regular article either temporarily or permanently. In my case, I need just a bit of notice to schedule in the time and many are probably the same. My feeling is that many here would step up if asked either directly or if a general request for help is posted. Otherwise, like in my case, there is a feeling of moving in on somebody's territory. Maybe? And though the primary publishers really knock it out of the park in my opinion, it is fun to see someone else put their own spin on regular articles.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:12 pm

Morrison Minions wrote:
I guess I will have to reevaluate how much time I spend contributing here. The Magic 8 ball is gone, the 2 minute drill is gone, and the Tuesday takeaway is gone. Those 3 things alone are what make me enjoy this place so much. Now there isn't any talk about fantasy football at all, outside of good luck Jon, congratulations Jon. All the posting going on now feels forced, and not much fun. 12 matchups with DD against TT, and there didn't seem to be anyone that cared about 11 of them. Anyway, no one cares what I think, so I'll try to let it go.

This post is the perfect example of someone complaining but offering nothing to make the situation better. You should come work with me at the FD, I have guys constantly doing this every shift... Still love you brosky just a little truth. #donthatemebecauseIamright

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:20 pm

Tarpon Springs RedKnights wrote:
Morrison Minions wrote:

This post is the perfect example of someone complaining but offering nothing to make the situation better. You should come work with me at the FD, I have guys constantly doing this every shift... Still love you brosky just a little truth. #donthatemebecauseIamright

Truth is that I have posted an article every week. Truth is that I do talk about fantasy football. Truth is that I do reply to articles. Truth is I built this site. So I'd like to think that I am doing what I should to make the situation better.

It seems that the concensus is that people have better shit to do. Great. I'll find better shit to do.

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:35 pm

If anyone else is like me, the first couple weeks after your team gets eliminated, which also happens to coincide with Christmas is a natural time for activity to drop.

Lets not run around claiming the sky is falling just yet.

However this does reinforce my feeling that losing long standing owners for "petty" reasons is not helping the league

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:39 pm

I'm going to slowly back away from this topic and head into the corner where I belong. I wanted to see if I could help this become a place that is more fun, but that plan has clearly backfired.

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:47 pm

Morrison Minions wrote:
I'm going to slowly back away from this topic and head into the corner where I belong. I wanted to see if I could help this become a place that is more fun, but that plan has clearly backfired.

At least your heart was in the right place!
Even if everyone hates you laughing

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:49 pm

I like him. He gave me all those draft picks to help my team out for the future.

Back to top Go down
Las Vegas DeGenerates

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:07 pm

Naperville Divine wrote:
I like him. He gave me all those draft picks to help my team out for the future.

LOL... See... Shawn made the world a better place for the Divine!

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:28 pm

Las Vegas DeGenerates wrote:
Naperville Divine wrote:

But not for the rest of Chapter 4....

rant rant rant

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:34 pm

In the words of Andy...

Listen you cunt, go do some deep knee bends in a cucumber patch!!!

We love Minions.

Back to top Go down
Singapore Slings

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:56 am

Norfolk Bombers wrote:
Las Vegas DeGenerates wrote:
Naperville Divine wrote:

But not for the rest half of Chapter 4....

rant rant rant

FTFY

(I got picks from Shawn too...yay)

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:36 am

Morrison Minions wrote:
England Dragons wrote:

You'd venture correctly. I'd also like to see more talk about the other games but if I was out, either through losing an earlier play-off or not qualifying and my week 16 matchup determined whether I finished 13th or 14th (for example), I'm not sure I'd be too bothered about trash talking about it.

It's natural for interest to wane a bit after elimination. But it comes back quickly. Posts are rising again and people are already looking forward to trading opening and building towards 2016's effort.

I hear what you are saying but don't think it's an  indication that we are in trouble or anything. Just my opinion.

cheers

*Sorry about the red text - couldn't get the quote button to work*

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:06 am

Morrison Minions wrote:
I guess I will have to reevaluate how much time I spend contributing here.  

Not disputing how much you have contributed since you came back. Just saying that there is too much "I am not happy with this so I will also just not be productive either" talk (not that you specifically said that or plan on doing it but the way you started your comment seemed to imply that.

Pumpkin, bottom line is that a lot of the articles are over because the season is over, I have never done a post season article, its not that I stopped caring (on a personal level).
Maybe the solution would be to assign some post seaason article writers?

Back to top Go down
Singapore Slings

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:32 am

As far as the grand participation question- I've always been on the lower end of the spectrum, and likely always will. As much as I enjoy the banter with you bastards, I joined RW for high-level dynasty fantasy football competition first, with everything else being secondary (please note that this does not mean "I don't care about any of the other stuff." I do, and I love everything else about the league, but they were not the main reasons for joining.) The minimum posting requirements have been the same from day 1 when I joined, and I don't believe I've ever fallen below them. That's no great accomplishment, but I have been fulfilling my end of the deal (the handful of management fuckups over the years notwithstanding.)

When Andy unveils the new standards, I'll do my best to fulfill them too- I have no desire to walk away from my team or the league. If it turns out that the new requirements mean that I'm no longer a fit for the league, then I guess that's the way it is, though I surely hope that isn't the case. The reality is that my life is a lot different now from when I joined. My daughter was born during the startup auction, and my son was three; I've now got a six year old, a three year old, and one on the way. I've changed jobs twice since then, each time increasing my responsibilities and time commitments; I've started an ebay store, and started playing DFS.

I've pared away a few leagues since then to try and keep my shit more manageable, because this is still my #1 league and my favorite to be a part of. I joined a dynasty league to build a dynasty, and I am very much looking forward to putting this awful 2015 campaign behind me and getting this rebuild into full swing.

Onward to 2016.

Back to top Go down
Las Vegas DeGenerates

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:30 am

Amen Tony... Onward to 2016 boys!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are we headed in the right direction?    

Back to top Go down

Are we headed in the right direction?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Main RW Lobby-
Jump to: