:: I forgot my password
x

Share | 

****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:49 pm

As with anything like this, my intent is to post this for 24 hours to see if there are any objections that point out something I am not seeing as a pitfall to the league but as of right now, my intent is to institute the following change to our rulebook before the 2015 season begins.

First off, let's make sure we understand what we are discussing.  The NFL has instituted changes to the extra point attempt and 2-point conversion rules of yesteryear.  Myfantasyleague.com got the ability for us to score this stuff as of last week (but I was tied up) so my intent is to include it as seamlessly into our current rules.

The first one is the 2-point return.  When a team goes for the extra point or conversion after a touchdown, if the defense can return the ball to the other end of the field they score the conversion.  Here is an example of this taking place...

The other thing we now have the ability to account for is the 1 point safety play.  This is a highly unlikely play but one that should be accounted for.  One way this could occur (even less likely) is if an extra point attempt were blocked and the defender took it back but before reaching the other endzone had the ball stripped and the original team recovered and was downed inside their own endzone.  The more likely way this can come up though is less obvious so here is an example of how it could go down...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that we all know what we are talking about, what I am going to do is include these two situations in accordance with what we already do...

The first category MFL provides us is DEFENSIVE CONVERSION RETURNS and here is there description of it... This is the number of defensive two point conversion returns in a game. This is a new NFL statistic for 2015. This can be scored by blocking an extra point attempt, or by intercepting a 2-point conversion pass attempt, or by recovering a 2-point conversion fumble, and then returning it all the way to the other end zone.
I intend to score these as 4 points across all positions because these are not touchdowns so because they score the same as a safety in the NFL, that is what I am comparing them to for our purposes.  

The second category MFL provides us is SAFETY FOR 1 POINT and here is their description of it....This is the number of one point safeties in a game. This is a new NFL statistic in 2015. This can be scored on a 2-point conversion attempt by tackling the opponent in their own end zone.
I intend to score these the same as all other safeties (4 points).  Our scoring is not tailored to the NFL scoring system so my feeling is that a safety here is most similar to a safety anywhere else.

I feel taking this action now keeps our league current with the game being played in the NFL and is least likely to be disruptive to what our scoring has been since day one.  I don't expect everyone to agree 100% and to be honest I am unsure what my personal take is on these long term but I do believe these are non-intrusive to what we have and we can always discuss tweaking them in January or in the future if we feel the need.  If nobody points out some drastic angle to this that I am not seeing that could negatively impact our league, I will make these changes official in the bylaws as well as in the system around 2:00pm CT tomorrow.

The RWTC league mirrors our scoring and will in this capacity as well.

Thank you.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:55 pm

I like it. I feel like the first one is much closer to a TD than a safety (like a Pick 6 or a fumble recovery for a TD) but four points is fine. I'm sure they'll both be rare.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:56 pm

Mohawk Ridge Marauders wrote:
I like it.  I feel like the first one is much closer to a TD than a safety (like a Pick 6 or a fumble recovery for a TD) but four points is fine.  I'm sure they'll both be rare.

I don't know that I would argue with you about that come January but who knows....I don't think me declaring these plays equal to TDs makes sense today though.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:08 pm

thumbsup

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:14 pm

dont think it will happen enough for me to care (I'll change my mind when I lose a game because of one of these)
raise eyebrow

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:19 pm

Nailed it.

cheers

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:15 pm

Looks good here. We can fix in JAN if need be.

cheers

Back to top Go down
Kirksville Growlers

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:51 pm

Your the boss Andy, sounds fine to me

Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:17 pm

Well, I for one.......

Just kidding, looks good. Agree with everyone else, if it needs fixed, you can stroke it in January.

raise eyebrow

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:17 pm

Looks good to me

Back to top Go down
Baja Beatniks

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:28 pm

No objection. No better ideas.

Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:35 pm

Sure.

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:43 pm

Cool.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:00 pm

Happy to see it's going over well. Having nothing for this would be dumb and how far off could this be from what anyone would want anyway? laughing

Then there is the part where this shit might come up like 5 times or less all year.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:18 pm

I am perplexed on whether to implement this in my leagues.  Havent so far but nobody has asked either.  Only had one commish even mention it so it will be interesting to see what happens.

I can still implement by Thursday I suppose. Not against if for RW of course.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:44 pm

Thanks for the reminder Andy! I was planning on implementing these new stats in my leagues but I had gotten busy and forgot. I now got them implemented in my leagues and I am happy that they are reflected here as well. cheers

Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:16 am

Sounds good to me

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:21 am

Kane County Goon Squad wrote:
dont think it will happen enough for me to care (I'll change my mind when I lose a game because of one of these)
raise eyebrow

Yeah it will be rare. the scoring seems reasonable

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:34 pm

Kingdom City Growlers 2 wrote:
I am perplexed on whether to implement this in my leagues.  Havent so far but nobody has asked either.  Only had one commish even mention it so it will be interesting to see what happens.

I can still implement by Thursday I suppose.  Not against if for RW of course.

It won't come up much so not a huge deal. Personally I hate watching a play occur where my players or my opponents players are involved, do something and it doesn't count in our game. I find that weird. Back in the day your RB/WR would return a kickoff for a score and I got nothing? My player could have been hurt but I don't have the chance at the points????

I am sure many many leagues this year will not be accounting for this stuff.

Back to top Go down
Cybertron Screamers

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:45 pm

This is why they pay you the big bucks!

Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:52 pm

Waiting for someone to lose a game due to this...

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:57 pm

Kingdom City Growlers 2 wrote:

I can still implement by Thursday I suppose.  Not against if for RW of course.

I'd add it. I'd be way more upset losing a game when one of my players made one of these crazy plays and having it NOT count than having my opponent beat me with it. Just my two cents.

Something that always pissed me off in offense only leagues was seeing my WR run back a kickoff or punt for a TD and having it not count. Made my blood boil. If your player is playing and makes a play you should get credit.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:03 pm

San Francisco Golddiggers wrote:
Waiting for someone to lose a game due to this...

here? or in general?

People are funny like that. One either has something to say about it or they don't but waiting until it goes against them is weaksauce. If it went in their favor they would say nothing and be content but against them it's BS.....weird that someone could be wired that way.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:15 pm

The bylaws and MFL sites have been updated for both the RWTC and the main league regarding this change.  Thanks for the feedback folks and as always let me know if you see anything that is incorrect.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:25 pm

Oh I meant in the actual NFL. Will be awesome when someone lines up for a gimme field goal or something with a small lead and loses.

Back to top Go down
Singapore Slings

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:55 am

San Francisco Golddiggers wrote:
Oh I meant in the actual NFL. Will be awesome when someone lines up for a gimme field goal or something with a small lead and loses.

A field goal would be six. This is PAT-only, right?

Regardless, game-winning-PAT-gets-blocked-but-becomes-a-game-winning-safety, though unlikely, is not an impossible occurence; especailly considering the fact that the PAT is now a 33-ish yard field goal. It may be a while, but I'd bet it happens eventually.

Probably to the Vikings.

In the superbowl.

This year.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:04 am

Oh yeah PAT.

Back to top Go down
Las Vegas DeGenerates

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:41 pm

Wait.. Wait wait!!!! This is bull shit!!!

Just kidding. Sounds good to the Pink!

Back to top Go down
Hamilton Steel Cats

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:45 pm

Okey Dokey, good job Management.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******   

Back to top Go down

****** NEW SCORING PROTOCOL ******
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1