HomeLog inRegisterFAQSearch

Share | 
 

 RW Contracts - discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
New England Nineties
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5585

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:36 pm

Naperville Divine wrote:
Mike, I disagree.  Your issue is exactly what makes the format perfect.  The 120 years forces you to make tough choices on late round picks.  Every now and then, a late round pick finds good fantasy value.  Usually it is a low number contract, which causes that good player to hit the RFA quicker, which helps turn over the WBs.  I find that one of the more exciting aspects of RFA and deciding how to divide up the 120 years.

I agree with the overall idea that deciding how to allocate the 120 years is one of the best parts of the league from a strategy standpoint. But, generally speaking, because the roster limit in this league is based on contract years, and a contract year for a 5th round player costs the same as one for a 1st round player, that really depresses the value of late picks. So I don't really think this system does actually make you make "tough choices" for late round picks; the choice is pretty easy and it results in a de-emphasis on late round picks. That's fine, there's nothing "wrong" with that, but I'm in leagues where we try and prop up the value of late round picks by allowing roster cap exemptions (via a taxi squad usually) to make up for the fact that you are way, way less likely to score on a late round pick.


Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7113

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:42 pm

Cybertron Screamers wrote:
The minimum number of players:
A) without utilizing waivers
B) assuming perfect bye week distribution

22 starters + 10 bye week players (1 each position)
-------------
32

Why this? You don't NEED one at each position.


Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals
 
 
avatar

Posts : 22164

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:46 pm

I am glad there isn't a consensus opinion in this thread as that would indicate a lack of strategy IMO.

@Mike...if we were to use a TS like what your other leagues do, then the cap would have to come down otherwise everyone would have an easy time locking everyone up for more years since they don't have to concern themselves with their later rookie picks...and since I know that you know that....then I'll only say that for me when an owner is allowed to ALSO have a separate TS for those longshot players there is little penalty for sitting on them so it's basically a free lotto ticket IMO which you aren't provided here. Here you have the choice of gambling on the by doling out a longer deal or potentially having to defend them because you went short contract and they panned out better than expected. I like that dynamic more than one where you can just stash em with little consequence and (at least in one of my experiences) it was very difficult for another owner to get those stashes away from you. If I wanted to go that route I would actually just go with no contracts and everyone keeps everyone forever barring trades.

@Shawn...I think you're trolling or nuts if you think anywhere near 27 players is a good idea. If one could hand pick any 27 players they wanted and have the ability to see into the future to guarantee no injuries then fine but short of that, it's just poor planning. By all means try to prove me wrong and I love that you are allowed to in this setup but there's no way that works out.


Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7113

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:37 pm

I guess I'm just nuts then. All we are talking about with that is what you NEED. That's all I was referring to.


Back to top Go down
Cybertron Screamers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1188

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:46 pm

Morrison Minions wrote:
Cybertron Screamers wrote:
The minimum number of players:
A) without utilizing waivers
B) assuming perfect bye week distribution

22 starters + 10 bye week players (1 each position)
-------------
32

Why this? You don't NEED one at each position.



You are correct, I neglected the fact we have flex positions. bang head on wall

Correction:
A) without utilizing waivers
B) assuming max 2 skill /2 idp players bye per week
(you have 11 starters/side and 8 bye weeks, at least 3 of them will have multiple, only one can be the kicker, so for 2 weeks you need a 2 bye week fillers / side)

22 starters + 5 bye week players (2 skill flex/1 kicker/2 idp flex)

------
27 minimum <--- like minions said first, but that was why.


Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7113

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:30 am

Cybertron Screamers wrote:
Morrison Minions wrote:
Cybertron Screamers wrote:
The minimum number of players:
A) without utilizing waivers
B) assuming perfect bye week distribution

22 starters + 10 bye week players (1 each position)
-------------
32

Why this? You don't NEED one at each position.



You are correct, I neglected the fact we have flex positions. bang head on wall

Correction:
A) without utilizing waivers
B) assuming max 2 skill /2 idp players bye per week
(you have 11 starters/side and 8 bye weeks, at least 3 of them will have multiple, only one can be the kicker, so for 2 weeks you need a 2 bye week fillers / side)

22 starters + 5 bye week players (2 skill flex/1 kicker/2 idp flex)

------
27 minimum <--- like minions said first, but that was why.

high five


Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 3274

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:36 am

I could easily deal with only having 27 players on my roster.  Less of a headache deciding who to start every week.  

My max players I want on my team is 40, but I prefer only having 30-35.  Anymore and I get confused who to start from the cluster fuck of players on my roster.  Right now I have over 40 and it bugs the SHIT out of me!!  Can't wait to get my roster trimmed down to my liking after this year


Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7456

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:37 am

Singapore Slings wrote:
Because I was a fucking retard during free agency.

ME TOO high five

I'D LIKE TO GIVE SOME LONGER DEALS BUT BOTH THE YEARS THAT I HAVE DONE RFA HERE I DON'T KEEP TRACK WELL ENOUGH AND END UP SIGNING TOO MANY PLAYERS - HOPEFULLY I WILL LEARN SOON ENOUGH Crying or Very sad


Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters
 
 
avatar

Posts : 2849

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:07 pm

Eternals giving a 9 year contract to Allen Robinson.

surprised


Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants
 
 
avatar

Posts : 9554

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:11 pm

Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:
Eternals giving a 9 year contract to Allen Robinson.

surprised

Holy crap that is freaky. I was just looking at the contracts and literally was coming here to post this exact same thing.


Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 4920

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:05 pm

I'd be more concerned about the 5-year contract for Cobb.  

As for A-Rob, if he hits, great move.  If not, he gets cut and Andy gets his years back.  But it is tough tying up 8% of your contract years with one guy.


Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7885

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:07 pm

I think it's a brilliant move by Andy. I also will go on record as to say that you are all sounding very jealous. Find your own WR aholes.


Back to top Go down
England Dragons
 
 
avatar

Posts : 8502

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:17 pm

All the old faces on page 1 of this thread....



Back to top Go down
Las Vegas DeGenerates
 
 
avatar

Posts : 3022

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:27 pm

I remember us talking about it somewhere, but I can't find the conversation...

Does it still cost 5 WBs to cut a rookie/free agent that was picked up during the off-season, prior to them receiving a contract? Even if they still have a 0yr deal, does it cost the 5WBs to release them or did we agree that money spent to sign them in the first place was enough? Or was that only during restricted free agency?

I don't remember. Sounds like that might have been during RFA only, not players that were added via the draft or free agency after that. Someone help me out?


Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos
 
 
avatar

Posts : 2397

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:40 pm

Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:
Eternals giving a 9 year contract to Allen Robinson.

surprised


Biggest controversy in the past two years??  Last post was Aug/2015.... lol 2


Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 4920

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:41 pm

I think that Andy is toying around with his listed contracts.  He can't be giving Geronimo Allison a 3-year contract.


Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7456

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:58 pm

Las Vegas DeGenerates wrote:
I remember us talking about it somewhere, but I can't find the conversation...

Does it still cost 5 WBs to cut a rookie/free agent that was picked up during the off-season, prior to them receiving a contract?  Even if they still have a 0yr deal, does it cost the 5WBs to release them or did we agree that money spent to sign them in the first place was enough?  Or was that only during restricted free agency?  

I don't remember.  Sounds like that might have been during RFA only, not players that were added via the draft or free agency after that.  Someone help me out?
I believe that was only for RFA and you had a 72 window after it ended to drop players


Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 4219

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:24 pm

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
I think that Andy is toying around with his listed contracts.  He can't be giving Geronimo Allison a 3-year contract.
Absolutely agree that Allison deserves a much longer contract.


Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies
 
 
avatar

Posts : 2241

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:31 am

To lazy to look... How old will Robinson be in 9 years? 34? 35?


Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1300

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:42 am

Muskego Muskies wrote:
To lazy to look... How old will Robinson be in 9 years? 34? 35?

32 nine years from today
33 at the beginning of the football season 9 years from now


Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies
 
 
avatar

Posts : 2241

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:41 am

Eh thats not bad when you think about it... it's better than signing him to 4 or 5 years and having to waste a tag on him. As good as Robinson is I think his stock can only go up. Soon the Jags should end their Bortles experiment or he'll move on to a better situation. Win/Win for Robinson and the Eternals.


Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 4920

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:43 am

Muskego Muskies wrote:
Eh thats not bad when you think about it... it's better than signing him to 4 or 5 years and having to waste a tag on him.  As good as Robinson is I think his stock can only go up. Soon the Jags should end their Bortles experiment or he'll move on to a better situation. Win/Win for Robinson and the Eternals.


That could be true, but let's look at the difference in a 5-year v. a 9-year contract.  What's the lost-opportunity cost in tying up 4 extra years for 5 years?  That's 20 guys that you could take a flyer on or other guys that you could lock up for an extra year or two and avoid tag costs.


Back to top Go down
Polk High Panthers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 610

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:49 am

9 years is a long time. A lot can change. I cant remember the last guy that stayed on my roster for more than 4 years.


Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals
 
 
avatar

Posts : 22164

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:11 am

@Rob...as Eric said, there was a 72 hour window after RFA when you could release players with 0 year contracts EVEN IF YOU HAD JUST WON THEM IN RFA but now if players are released and they have a 0 year deal there will be a 5WB charge as if they had the minimum 1 year deal......unless of course they are NFLFA's and indicated as such on MFL.



My contracts could change but it sure is great to see that it's causing a stir. Evil laugh


Back to top Go down
Las Vegas DeGenerates
 
 
avatar

Posts : 3022

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:10 pm

Thanks Andy. That's what I thought, just didn't remember when that window was. All good.


Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5629

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:18 am

Minnesota Eternals wrote:


My contracts could change but it sure is great to see that it's causing a stir.  Evil laugh

Of course they will change now that you have been pointed out. Laughing


Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:29 pm

I started this thread! vote yes


Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters
 
 
avatar

Posts : 2849

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:45 pm

Atlanta Africans wrote:
I started this thread! vote yes

Only the best ones resurface.


Back to top Go down
North Wales Knights
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1329

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:34 am

Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:
Atlanta Africans wrote:
I started this thread! vote yes

Only the best ones resurface.

Then we seem to have a lot of "best ones"


Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7456

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:25 am

North Wales Knights wrote:
Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:
Atlanta Africans wrote:
I started this thread! vote yes

Only the best ones resurface.

Then we seem to have a lot of "best ones"
well..... it IS Roster Wars


Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine
 
 
avatar

Posts : 2856

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:13 am

i also find the challenge of allocating 120 years to be alot of fun. It can be maddening some time because those 120 years goes by really fast.


Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants
 
 
avatar

Posts : 9554

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:27 pm

Naperville Divine wrote:
i also find the challenge of allocating 120 years to be alot of fun.  It can be maddening some time because those 120 years goes by really fast.

Yeah, I hear you. I want more.


Back to top Go down
California Nightmare
 
 
avatar

Posts : 2375

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:10 pm

SHIT.

The fucking deadline is tonight.


Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5627

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:23 pm

California Nightmare wrote:
SHIT.

The fucking deadline is tonight.

You have a few hours to get that shit done.


Back to top Go down
Nevada NightHawks
 
 
avatar

Posts : 2463

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:49 am

Interesting, Jimmy Garoppolo landed 5 year contracts in both Conferences.


Back to top Go down
Carolina Werewolves
 
 
avatar

Posts : 2102

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:56 am

I guess everyone loves Jimmy G. I don't find it odd at all that The Boss gave such a long contract to Allen Robinson. He has been man crushing on him since he came into the league....come to think of it so have I (but that is a story for another day)


Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1300

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:24 am

Nevada NightHawks wrote:
Interesting, Jimmy Garoppolo landed 5 year contracts in both Conferences.

It sort of makes sense to me. If you think he is the heir apparent to the system that produced Brady, but won't have a shot for at least 2 or 3 more years, you have to lock him up that long to make his roster spot worth it. It does hurt having that much allocated to a guy who may not produce for a few years, but it could be worth the wait.


Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5629

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:30 am

If Sam was in the Main league he would probably map out in graphs and pretty colors how this all looks in comparison to something I never think of but wished I had. Sam is da graph man!


Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants
 
 
avatar

Posts : 9554

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:30 pm

There weren't that many shockers in the contracts this year. ARob to 9 is high, but again, if you have the space, and a good young talent, why not? Good stuff. I love looking over everyone's contracts, thought by now someone would give me hell for Bortles at 5.


Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 4920

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:31 pm

Oh wow, just realized that Andy already updated contracts.  Nice work there.


Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters
 
 
avatar

Posts : 2849

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:32 pm

Looks like the Divine made a contract math error.  Total contracts at 125.  surprised2


Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 4920

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:34 pm

Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:
Looks like the Divine made a contract math error.  Total contracts at 125.  surprised2

Oh snap.  That sucks. 

But, remember Ed, no one likes a snitch.


Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters
 
 
avatar

Posts : 2849

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:36 pm

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
But, remember Ed, no one likes a snitch.

Nobody likes me anyway so what difference does it make.


Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants
 
 
avatar

Posts : 9554

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:37 pm



Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 4920

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:38 pm

Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:
Bergen Brawlers wrote:
But, remember Ed, no one likes a snitch.

Nobody likes me anyway so what difference does it make.


At least we agree on one thing.


Back to top Go down
Charm City Justice
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1300

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:44 pm

Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:
Bergen Brawlers wrote:
But, remember Ed, no one likes a snitch.

Nobody likes me anyway so what difference does it make.

That's not true, I find your contributions highly enjoyable. Of course this probably now means Russ doesn't like me, oh well, can't win them all.


Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7456

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:45 pm

Rocky Mountain Oysters wrote:
Looks like the Divine made a contract math error.  Total contracts at 125.  surprised2
doh


Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals
 
 
avatar

Posts : 22164

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:53 pm

I emailed Craig about the cap and he has already adjusted.


Back to top Go down
California Nightmare
 
 
avatar

Posts : 2375

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:44 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
There weren't that many shockers in the contracts this year. ARob to 9 is high, but again, if you have the space, and a good young talent, why not? Good stuff. I love looking over everyone's contracts, thought by now someone would give me hell for Bortles at 5.



Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants
 
 
avatar

Posts : 9554

PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:11 pm

California Nightmare wrote:
Titletown Tyrants wrote:
There weren't that many shockers in the contracts this year. ARob to 9 is high, but again, if you have the space, and a good young talent, why not? Good stuff. I love looking over everyone's contracts, thought by now someone would give me hell for Bortles at 5.


Well if he throws 0 times, I guess Andy is hurting worse than me with 9 years on ARob. HAHA.  laughing


Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: RW Contracts - discussion   

Back to top Go down
 
RW Contracts - discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Main RW Lobby-
Jump to: