Password:
:: I forgot my password
x

Share | 

Owner penalty (Las Vegas Degenerates) - cancelled

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Owner penalty (Las Vegas Degenerates) - cancelled   Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:14 am

On July 26th, the Vag of Degeneres released 4 players designated as NFLFA's but RB Ben Tate was on the tracker seen here http://rosterwars.forumotion.com/t2605-nflfa-s-being-tracked-bylaw-r-3 which means he comes at a cost of 5WB.  The VOD do not have 5WB however which leads to an owner penalty.  Sadly this is the third one for VOD which means the amount is $40.

Am email has been sent to Rob and hopefully we'll have this taken care of quickly and move on.

no

Last edited by Minnesota Eternals on Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:39 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Las Vegas DeGenerates

PostSubject: Re: Owner penalty (Las Vegas Degenerates) - cancelled   Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:05 am

Quote :
L.7 Releasing a player
Players released by any franchise are said to be waived.  The cost for dropping a player from your roster is 5WB per year on his contract, unless they are an NFL free agent (NFLFA).

1) Any player acquired in RFA auction or rookie draft that is an NFLFA may be dropped without penalty, before assigning a contract, as long as said player is still an NFLFA at the time of the drop.
2) Any NFLFA player acquired outside of the RFA auction or rookie draft will automatically get a 1 yr contract and a penalty of 5 WB's will be deducted if that player is waived before signing with any NFL team.
3) Any NFLFA player acquired outside of the RFA auction or rookie draft will automatically get a 1 yr contract and if said player signs with an NFL team, then was released and therefore recaptures NFLFA status, that player may be waived without penalty.[/color]

Ex. Team Y are at 113 contract years. John Doe was signed to a 5-year contract and Team Y want to release him.  They do release him, pay 25WB and now they are at 108 contract years used.

I must challenge this penalty.  The rulebook is not very clear and concise on this issue.  Any player that is acquired in RFA auction that is an NFLFA may be dropped without penalty. 

My issue is, Ben Tate should not be on this tracking list because he was acquired during the RFA auction process.  No where in the rulebook does it state that players must be nominated to be considered part of the Auction process.  Tate was acquired at the very end of the RFA Auction process by being resigned to my team after no one bid on him.  After nominations are over, teams are able to resign any of their RFAs.  This is still part of the RFA Auction process as a whole in my mind since it's not part of normal free agency (FCFS or Blind Bidding).  The rulebook does not state that these are two different parts of free agency.  Both processes are part of the RFA Auction, the nomination/bidding, and the resigning of unclaimed RFAs.

Since Tate was part of this RFA process, he should fall into L.7.1 and be a free drop.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Owner penalty (Las Vegas Degenerates) - cancelled   Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:09 am

Granted.

I am guilty of not remembering this amendment to the bylaws by heart. I'm happy that you knew it or at least went and found it. This thread will be unpinned and no penalty shall be enforced.

Thanks Rob

Back to top Go down
Las Vegas DeGenerates

PostSubject: Re: Owner penalty (Las Vegas Degenerates) - cancelled   Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:25 am

Yay!

Thank you kind sir.

Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: Owner penalty (Las Vegas Degenerates) - cancelled   Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:45 am

I just wasted 47 seconds of my life skimming through this thread only to learn of the happy ending... No BAM deserved...

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Owner penalty (Las Vegas Degenerates) - cancelled   Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:28 pm

Andy got taken to SCHOOL!

mock

vote yes

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Owner penalty (Las Vegas Degenerates) - cancelled   Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:38 pm

Apologies in advance for being dense but I'm trying to figure out what happened here for future use. From what I gather, if you pick up a guy who is a free agent or acquire a free agent in a trade, he gets tracked on this page (http://rosterwars.forumotion.com/t2605-nflfa-s-being-tracked-bylaw-r-3 ) so that you get penalized if you drop him as opposed to it being a free drop if he becomes a free agent after you acquire him. In other words, this list keeps track of that small group of players for whom a penalty will be assessed.

However, there are certain guys who were on the list who should not have been -- players who were reacquired by their original teams as RFAs. It seems that, at some point, there was a different rule or the rule was unclear and this provision only applied to teams acquiring the player not to teams reacquiring the player. The rule got changed and all teams are treated equal now. But someone forgot this rule when updating the list so the list was wrong and the penalty got assessed.

The VOD, notwithstanding his pink status, knew what was going on and got it corrected.

Am I close?

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Owner penalty (Las Vegas Degenerates) - cancelled   Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:18 pm

You are correct!

The train of thought was that if you already "paid" for them once in RFA that the drop - should they remain a FA - would be free of charge. Was something that was adjusted last year if I recall correctly.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Owner penalty (Las Vegas Degenerates) - cancelled   Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:19 pm

What does a thought train look like?

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Owner penalty (Las Vegas Degenerates) - cancelled   Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:27 pm

Watch the movie Inside Out and find out!

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Owner penalty (Las Vegas Degenerates) - cancelled   Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:37 pm

DDT wrote:
Apologies in advance for being dense but I'm trying to figure out what happened here for future use.  From what I gather, if you pick up a guy who is a free agent or acquire a free agent in a trade, he gets tracked on this page (http://rosterwars.forumotion.com/t2605-nflfa-s-being-tracked-bylaw-r-3 ) so that you get penalized if you drop him as opposed to it being a free drop if he becomes a free agent after you acquire him.  In other words, this list keeps track of that small group of players for whom a penalty will be assessed.

However, there are certain guys who were on the list who should not have been -- players who were reacquired by their original teams as RFAs.  It seems that, at some point, there was a different rule or the rule was unclear and this provision only applied to teams acquiring the player not to teams reacquiring the player.  The rule got changed and all teams are treated equal now.  But someone forgot this rule when updating the list so the list was wrong and the penalty got assessed.

The VOD, notwithstanding his pink status, knew what was going on and got it corrected.

Am I close?

Just want to make sure that it's known that acquiring a player through trade has nothing to do with this.

Justin was correct. The rule changed last year which is why it bit me today because I didn't remember it in my head like most of the rules. A player acquired in the RFA session (including players retained after no bids were placed on them) are exempt from being placed on that list and therefore when Rob released one today free of charge it brought to attention that I had erroneously placed like 8 players on that list from this most recent RFA session.

All has been corrected.

As for the players tracked on that list in general, because players are a free drop if recognized by MFL as NFLFA's we need to have something in place to keep an owner from getting free rolls of the dice. You don't want an owner picking up 20 NFLFA's on July 1st and holding them with a 0 year contract and then on July 30th releasing them all free of charge before setting their contracts unless one gets some big break...no risk and all upside play is weak. This rule closes that hole and puts a proper upside/downside balance to grabbing a player like that.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Owner penalty (Las Vegas Degenerates) - cancelled   

Back to top Go down

Owner penalty (Las Vegas Degenerates) - cancelled
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Main RW Lobby-
Jump to: