Share | 

Detroit Lions

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Utah Spazz

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:29 pm

Quote :
Lions agreed to terms with WLB DeAndre Levy on a three-year contract.

Struggling through a hamstring injury last season, Levy graded out 41st among 43 qualifying 4-3 outside linebackers according to ProFootballFocus. He posted 81 tackles, no sacks, no forced fumbles and one interception. Still, the cap-strapped Lions apparently see him as an affordable complement to every-down MLB Stephen Tulloch. Free agent SLB Justin Durant now appears unlikely to be back in Detroit.

Seems like every year there is a buzz about Levy and then he just is average. 3 year deal is a solid committment

Back to top Go down
http://www.fakeplastictunes.com/
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:04 am

Back to top Go down
Las Vegas DeGenerates

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:31 am

Lions looked pretty good this week against the Bears. Chicago obviously overlooked them with Burleson being out. Everyone thought they could double or triple Calvin and have an easy afternoon... Can't forget about Reggie Bush.

Now, Reggie will probably only be healthy for 1/2 the season... But those 8 games, he will be a difference maker for the Lions.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:14 am

The Lions need a dynamic pass catching back. Bush is perfect for this offense.

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:01 pm

Imagine where this bunch could go with the right guy in charge....

Lions fired coach Jim Schwartz.

In 2009, Schwartz took over a team coming off an 0-16 year. He won two games as a rookie coach, six games in 2010 and made the playoffs with a 10-win season in 2011. But it fell apart from there as he lost control of the team's discipline. Schwartz sealed his fate this year by closing the season with one win in the final seven games, blowing what should have been an easy road to the NFC North title. Along the way, he blatantly lied to the media and cursed at fans in the stands. This Lions job will be very appealing as one of the few openings with a franchise quarterback and gobs of talent already in place. GM Martin Mayhew will stay.

Back to top Go down
Hamilton Steel Cats

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:13 pm

England Dragons wrote:
Imagine where this bunch could go with the right guy in charge....

Lions fired coach Jim Schwartz.

In 2009, Schwartz took over a team coming off an 0-16 year. He won two games as a rookie coach, six games in 2010 and made the playoffs with a 10-win season in 2011. But it fell apart from there as he lost control of the team's discipline. Schwartz sealed his fate this year by closing the season with one win in the final seven games, blowing what should have been an easy road to the NFC North title. Along the way, he blatantly lied to the media and cursed at fans in the stands. This Lions job will be very appealing as one of the few openings with a franchise quarterback and gobs of talent already in place. GM Martin Mayhew will stay.

Had high hopes for Schwartz as he tutored under one of favorites in Fisher. However, he failed miserably this year and squandered a golden opportunity in the NFL North this year. A very justifiable firing IMO.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:14 pm

Wasn't entirely his fault but you can't let the coach off the hook for such a monumental collapse as the Lions had this season... The division was gift wrapped by the Bears and Packers and they just couldn't get it done!

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:22 pm

Schwartz had some of the worst coaching I've ever seen. Awful at drafting as well (although that might be more the GM. Not sure.)

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:01 pm

I think I heard somewhere that in the Lions' last six games, i.e. six losses in a row, they had a lead in the 4th quarter in ALL of them.

Back to top Go down
Vegas Beach Tiger Sharks

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:05 pm

Schwartz is the king of doing less with more.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:00 am

Jersey Legionnaires wrote:
Schwartz had some of the worst coaching I've ever seen.  Awful at drafting as well (although that might be more the GM.  Not sure.)

While the Lions have had some failures in the draft - namely every single 2nd round pick they've ever made I believe. The past two drafts have worked out really well for the Lions (especially if you include UDFA).

Schwartz really had to go. The whole "we were one play away" here or there bit got really tiresome. It should never come down to a play here or there with the setup the Lions had this year. They played to their opponent's talent level and it was maddening.

In fact, in all the years I've been following the Lions (and I've been following seriously since I was 8 or 9 - '78) I cant' remember a more gut wrenching, kick you in the teeth season than this one. Even the winless season wasn't as bad as this years' "team".

At this point, I'm not sure who I'm rooting for to become HC. In all honesty, I was ecstatic when Schwartz was named HC. I thought he was going to be a perfect fit for the Lions. I think he was, initially, but he didn't adapt when the teams talent increased dramatically, he kept coaching like the team needed to prove they weren't doormats any longer and the unnecessary aggressiveness and undisciplined play ended up being his undoing. Cripes, in the final home game he told the home fans to F off.

I think Ken Whisenhut (sp??) is actually going to be the HC, but after living in Tempe all during Whiz's run in Arizona, I'm not so sure how excited I am about him. I guess he's a solid coach when and If he has a talented QB... maybe he can help Stafford stop turning the ball over every 3rd series.

And Mike is right, the Lions did have a 4th quarter lead in all 6 of their final losses. IIRC, they held a 4th quarter lead in all but 1 of their 9 losses on the season.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:16 am

In a make-or-break game they had, what, 35 seconds and two timeouts left with a tie game and they decide to run the clock out for overtime? What the fuck? I was infuriated over that. He's a complete fuckup. (Not to mention the Thanksgiving debacle last year. You can't challenge something automatically reviewed you fucking mook.)

Titus Young, Mikel LeShoure, Jahvid Best, Broyles...

Drafting has been terrible. They hit on Suh, Fairley, Calvin, and Stafford. Hard to miss on guys like that though. The jury is still out on Reiff.

Back to top Go down
Vegas Beach Tiger Sharks

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:21 am

Drafting has been terrible.  They hit on Suh, Fairley, Calvin, and Stafford.  Hard to miss on guys like that though.  The jury is still out on Reiff.  

I think the failure lies in coaching more than drafting here.

Young had a documented history of being a jackwagon, had to see his risk ahead of time, so he was a wasted pick in many respects. But Best looked like a smash hit, except that the concussions caught up with him...again could've seen that possibility ahead of time, but at some point someone had to take a shot on his talent. Likewise, Broyles was a known injury risk that looks to have backfired, but like Best, he looked mighty promising early on. To a lesser degree, LeShoure looked to have some promise once he finally got on the field last year too, but for whatever reason was in the doghouse all year in 2013 (and--doghouse or not--was also simply outplayed by Bush and Bell in camp).

My problem with Schwartz is that he had ample talent on his roster and kept finding ways to lose. And his standards of acceptable play (personal fouls, boneheaded penalties) were preposterous. Well coached teams don't consistently make those mistakes to the degree the Lions did year after year under Schwartz.
Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:37 am

In a make-or-break game they had, what, 35 seconds and two timeouts left with a tie game and they decide to run the clock out for overtime?  What the fuck?  I was infuriated over that.  He's a complete fuckup.  (Not to mention the Thanksgiving debacle last year.  You can't challenge something automatically reviewed you fucking mook.)  

Drafting has been terrible.  They hit on Suh, Fairley, Calvin, and Stafford.  Hard to miss on guys like that though.  The jury is still out on Reiff.  

Again.. those bad draft picks were the 2nd rounders I mentioned.. other than those guys, they've drafted well. I think the Lions should trade all their 2nd round picks haha.

But, since their crazy winless season, they've gotten about 4 starters from each of their draft classes except for the brutal '10 draft

But, in this past draft, I think they got 5-6 starters (if you include UDFA)... Ziggy Ansah, Darius Slay, Larry Warford, the punter guy, Ladrian Waddle... this does not include Joe Fauria who I think will have a bigger role next year or Devin Taylor who looks like a really nice development project.

2 years ago, they got about 3 starters (i'm giving 2 guys a half a start)... Rieff - LT for the next decade... Bill Bentley (nickle corner), Jonte Green & Chris Greenwood -- both have started in a bad secondary, with Greenwood actually looking late this year like he might be a good find (big, fast, athletic corner).

3 years ago -- Only 1 starter - Nick Fairley came out of this class thanks to the idiocy of Titus Young and Mikel LeShoure... If they had continued to have these types of draft the past two season, I think the GM would have been gone.

4 years ago - 4 starters - Suh, Willie Young, 5th round pick for G Rob Sims, and a 7th round pick for Chris Houston... That doesn't account for losign Jahvid Best (one of my favorite Lions and still sucks that he couldn't make it through), T Jason Fox -- if not for the emergence of the undrafted rookie Waddle in '13 would have been a starter...

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:01 pm

Going through their draft reports it looks like they tend to trade away a ton of picks too. I'm not a Lions homer but they have hands down become my second favorite team. I've been watching them more closely over the past couple years and just cringed with what they got. Ziggy can be something special I hope. They really need to get Calvin some help. Somehow some way.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:11 pm

they do trade a lot of picks Justin... especially when they were terrible, they'd trade late round picks for guys that could start for them.

I think this year the Lions get Sammy Watkins at #10. :)

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:07 pm

They did the right thing firing Schwartz, I think we all can agree on that. I don't really agree entirely with the sentiment that they have all this talent to work with however... I just don't see it, the Lions are kind of like the Chargers in the way they always seem to get alot of credit for being more talented than they really are. Calvin Johnson is a freak, that is obvious... but there isn't a great #2 or #3 WR to help out and the TE position is just a mess... RB is solid but nothing spectacular, Reggie Bush is overrated IMHO. To top off my critique, I think Stafford is the best worst QB in the league if that makes sense... He has a great arm and alot of physical talent but I question his leadership and I question the intangibles with the mental aspects and decision making part of being a good NFL QB, he makes too many bone headed mistakes and bad plays to go along with all the good ones. He is a good fantasy QB but that doesn't always translate to being a good NFL QB.

The defense is very good, especially the run defense, and if they can shore up the passing offense they could get even better...

I think they may have enough talent with the right coach to be stronger than they were this year, I think they need discipline and they need to learn how to win which was also a big part of their collapse this year... But I am skeptical of how far Stafford can really lead this team...

Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:57 pm

Lions are blessed and cursed by Stafford/Johnson.

Cap hits for the next 4 and 6 years.
Stafford 15.8, 17.7, 22.5, 22
Johnson 13, 20.5, 24, 21.3, 17, 18.25

It's hard to put together a good/deep roster when those two are taking up so much cap space.

But I digress. Schwartz is a tool. I'm a 49ers homer but watching the handshake with Harbaugh cracks me up every time. It gives me great pleasure to watch him get canned.

Back to top Go down
MatthewL763

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:23 am

San Francisco Golddiggers wrote:
Lions are blessed and cursed by Stafford/Johnson.

Cap hits for the next 4 and 6 years.
Stafford 15.8, 17.7, 22.5, 22
Johnson 13, 20.5, 24, 21.3, 17, 18.25

It's hard to put together a good/deep roster when those two are taking up so much cap space.

But I digress. Schwartz is a tool. I'm a 49ers homer but watching the handshake with Harbaugh cracks me up every time. It gives me great pleasure to watch him get canned.

Agreed plus when you factor in Suh's contract it's crazy how much those three players take up.
Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:34 pm

Jim Caldwell hired as coach.

It's like having a bowl of warm oatmeal on a warm day.   sleep

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:59 pm

Sanibel Gadabouts wrote:
Jim Caldwell hired as coach.

It's like having a bowl of warm oatmeal on a warm day.   sleep

Wow...I hate this hire. Caldwell should team up with Leslie Frazier as they both have the personality of a stick.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:02 pm

Exactly... I hope it works out.. Just not too optimistic... at least they thought of fans who had "Fire Jim" T-Shirts... They'll be able to recycle in 3 years.  

Back to top Go down
Hamilton Steel Cats

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:08 pm

UGH!!! ...  hairout 

What a lousy Hire!
Really? Jim "Mr Excitement" Caldwell????

What was the deciding factor here?
Did they ask Stafford "who will you be able to tune out the easiest and go about doing things the way you want to do them Mr Franchise QB?"

I'd actually rather have seen them hire Schwartz back if this is as good as they were gonna get.

Thoroughly disappointed ... SIGH
 sick 

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:17 pm

I agree....would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather see Schwartz than this bag of potatoes. Brutal. This is the sort of hire I would have expected from the Vikings.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:23 pm

This is absolutely fucking terrible. God fucking damn you Lions.

Back to top Go down
Hamilton Steel Cats

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:29 pm

This Caldwell Hiring has all the EXCITEMENT of ...
Licking your own Balls

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:35 pm

Hamilton Steel Cats wrote:
This Caldwell Hiring has all the EXCITEMENT of ...
Licking your own Balls

No fuckin way the hiring of Caldwell is that exciting.  Laughing 

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:05 pm

Pretty terrible signing. Doesn't strike me as a guy who is going to be able to get Stafford to shape up.

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:17 pm

Yeah agreed its an unfortunate hiring

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:13 pm

I'm going against the lot of ya - I think it's a fantastic appointment!

Alright, I'm lying - it sucks.

shrug 

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:59 pm

I hope he can help Stafford to stop throwing it to the other team

Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:41 am

One positive is that the Lions will have fewer personal foul penalties. Schwartz just didn't seem to care about losing 15 yards.

Back to top Go down
MatthewL763

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:39 am

If they really wanted whisenhunt that bad they should of paid the man like the titans did. If the money were close it'd be hard to see him still going to tennesee.

Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:09 am

Yeah, I don't get this one.

Last season as a head coach: 2-14 3oth overall offense. Yes, they lost Peyton, but still.

Last season as an OC: Missed the playoffs, 29th overall offense. Yeah, this sucks.

The Lions will not win on Thanksgiving day for another decade.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:26 am

He won't be the coach for a decade. :)

I don't really think it was about $$$ with the Lie-downs and Whiz. At the end of the day, I think he didn't want to be coaching someplace where he woudlnt' be allowed to have his 3-4 defense. The lions have drafted for 4-3 personnel for 5 years (3 of last 4 first rounders have been 4-3 d-lineman)

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:37 pm

As a Bears fan, I am really sorry to see Schwartz go. I will miss seeing that deer in headlights look during games. I truly think he got kicked in the head by a horse when we was younger. I think he grew up in Louisiana where "Waterboy" was filmed.

They have a really good up and coming defense. Ziggy Ensah is going to be a really good player. I think with a better coach and better offensive scheme, they could be really good. They are in a tough division so it will be tough for them.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:21 pm

Quote :
New Lions OC Joe Lombardi will be the team's offensive playcaller. Analysis: New head coach Jim Caldwell is an offensive mind, but will take more of an overseer's approach. Formerly the Saints' quarterbacks coach, Lombardi learned under Sean Payton and will keep Detroit's pass-first mentality intact, which is good news for Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson. We also wouldn't be surprised to see more of a true timeshare in the backfield, with Joique Bell handling increased carries and Reggie Bush being employed in a Sprolesian role.

Apparently one of his top priorities is working on Stafford's footwork as well. I see that going over like a lead balloon though. Stafford doesn't like to change the way he does things.

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:20 pm

(Rotoworld) "Lions hired Jim Bob Cooter as quarterbacks coach."

ROTFLMAO  ROTFLMAO  ROTFLMAO

Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:10 pm

Kane County Goon Squad wrote:
(Rotoworld) "Lions hired Jim Bob Cooter as quarterbacks coach."

ROTFLMAO  ROTFLMAO  ROTFLMAO

Holy shit.............

I had to look it up, but it's true.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:44 pm

Quote :
Rodney Austin released by #Lions after arrest for charges including assault on a female, assault on child under 12

Nice.

Back to top Go down
Winsted Psychos

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:50 pm

What is with these freakin morons...

Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:53 pm

I see a OC change for the Muskies in the near future. You have to be a hell of a coach with a name like that

Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:13 pm

What a dumb mother fucker no ........................Whoever the Hell he is????

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:04 pm

Laken Tomlinson - Guard.

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:05 pm

Should be looking RB in the 2nd now.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:42 am

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:25 am

Mohawk Ridge Marauders wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/gvPUxhk.gifv

That's pretty weird. laughing

Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:04 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Mohawk Ridge Marauders wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/gvPUxhk.gifv

That's pretty weird. laughing

That freaks me out! scared

lions "LIONS BITCH" raging

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:47 am

Laughing

Quote :
Ford Field playing "Can't Feel My Face" by The Weekend just as the Jets announce Geno Smith being inactive. Can't make this up.

Back to top Go down
Winsted Psychos

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:10 pm

Fuck the Lions.... Vikings Rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   

Back to top Go down

Detroit Lions
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Player talk-
Jump to: