HomeLog inRegisterFAQSearch

Share | 

Detroit Lions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:16 pm

What. A. Disaster. Good article by a fan I thought I would post here.

Link

Quote :
Note: The views expressed in this EDITORIAL do not necessarily reflect the views of Detroit Sports Nation or a majority of its writers and should not be misconstrued as such. The views contained within are the views of the author and the author alone.

[Following Sunday's catastrophic blow-out at the hands of the Arizona Cardinals (that more or less nailed the coffin of the Detroit Lions' season), wide receiver Golden Tate had harsh words for fans who attended the game at Ford Field and either booed and/or left early. This is an open letter response editorial, not only to Golden but to the entire Lions organization as a whole.]

I don't even expect you to understand.

For one, Golden, you're not even from the state of Michigan. You don't know what being a Detroit Lions fan is like, what we've been through or how all of this really affects us. Talk to Jason Jones and/or George Winn to get a clearer understanding from a local.

How dare you? We turned our backs? The team won 11 games last season and were possibly one bad picked-up flag away from 12 wins. And five weeks into the new season we are winless and pondering a rebuild. One playoff win in five decades. Never been in a Super Bowl. Our owners don't even have enough respect for us to make one public televised statement/apology to the fans. And every single season we have renewed hope that things will change.

Last season, it felt like things did change and this year we held those very hopes with high expectations. You looked the part the first quarter against San Diego and then all of a sudden it's like the Monstars from Space Jam showed up and took your talent.

Ever since then you've been an embarrassment. The worst team in the NFL and it dumbfounds many how it got to this point. Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson are supposed to be Joe Montana and Jerry Rice by now, but instead they show less chemistry than Joey Harrington and Mike Williams.

It's easy for you to say we turn our backs when you're the one getting paid millions of dollars to forget those losses so easily. The ones that won't forget those losses are those who probably don't have the money to afford to go to the game and boo your trash efforts to begin with; they're the hard working, blue collar citizens of the city you claim to represent. Men like my father and my father's father, who will possibly go their entire lifetime seeing the Lions put on a shit show year after year. And I'm soon to follow.

Do I sound angry? DO I SOUND ANGRY?

Well... I am. Had to get that out.

I'd rather not spend the duration of this article writing you silly questions that you probably won't read, let alone answer. But I have to ask this: Does coach Caldwell teach you guys anything about this team's history? The fans and the city have been through unimaginable hell with this franchise for almost 60 years. Add that into what this town has had to endure with its own tragic history and we fans should be your number one motivation.

And we are not. From the looks of it, you guys are playing with no motivation other than that fat aforementioned paycheck.

The truth of the matter is you're the one who's turned your back on us.

We're the most loyal fans in major American professional sports. If we weren't, the team would have went broke long before I was even born. They'd probably be called the "Oklahoma City Rodeo" by now. But we continue to buy tickets, sell out Ford Field, buy nine dollar Bud Lights, purchase Calvin's jersey, brag foolishly to out-of-town family and cheer you on, all in hope that you'll bring a smidgen of happiness and pride into our lives on Sunday.

I'm not going to front with you guys. We fans are at a crossroads with this team. Usually, throughout the past there is simple and clear reasoning on why the Lions suck so bad - talent. We usually just don't have a very talented team. Last time we were 0-5, in 2008, we ended up as the first team in NFL history to go 0-16 and there was a universal agreement that the team was just not very gifted football-wise.

But this... this has me and thousands of other loyal fans at a complete and utter loss. On paper, we field a better, smarter and more experienced squad than the one that could have won 13 games last season if it had a kicker the first few weeks of the season. All of a sudden, less than a year later, the rest of the football world is laughing at us (the fans) and wondering if OUR team will go 0-16 once more. It's all bad, bro.

So, I will leave you with this:

I'm not one of these other beat writers or columnists for the News or the Free Press. I don't have a bachelor's degree and I didn't grow up somewhere outside of Michigan. I have a full and complex understanding of what it means to be a true Lions fan to the core. I am Michigan-homegrown, born just a few blocks from Ford Field, and I am a fan that hopes to write big things about this team for the next generation of Lions fans everywhere. So, before you show disappointment in the fans for what you proclaim as disloyal behavior, you should probably get you and your team together and re-watch the last five games you've played. Lie to our face and tell us you're trying your hardest out on that field. You've either forgotten or never fully understood who you ultimately play for and represent.

Mr. Tate, who has turned their backs to whom? We're not the "12th man". We're not Patriots fans, Steelers fans or one of those wackos back west that wears cheese on their heads.

We are fans of the Detroit Lions, and this time we've made one loud proclamation that we hope is fully understood by your organization once and for all: #WeDeserveBetter.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:22 pm

I love it except for the part where he claims to speak for all Lions fans which is pure insanity.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:24 pm

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
I love it except for the part where he claims to speak for all Lions fans which is pure insanity.  

Amen. I instantly tag douchebag to anyone who says "I think I speak for everyone when ..." No. No you don't.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:36 pm

Yeah, I get that. But I have several Lion fan friends, and they were all sharing and commenting on facebook about this and they were like, "Took the words right out of my mouth" and "Why couldn't I have been born a Packer fan?" laughing

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:44 pm

I am sure he speaks for many many of them but it just screamed DOUCHE when I read that. That said, he can be a douche if he wants because he is addressing a douche (Tate) so it's all good.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:34 pm

Josh Katzenstein ‏@jkatzenstein 1m1 minute ago
The Lions are firing offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi and offensive line coaches Jeremiah Washburn and Terry Heffernan.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:42 pm

Sanibel Gadabouts wrote:
Josh Katzenstein ‏@jkatzenstein  1m1 minute ago
The Lions are firing offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi and offensive line coaches Jeremiah Washburn and Terry Heffernan.

Can't believe Caldwell isn't on his ass.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:31 pm

Keeping Caldwell is absurd.

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:39 pm

He's being replaced by 'Jim Bob Cooter'

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:25 pm

Keeping Caldwell is absurd.

good post agree

Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:11 pm

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/323557/lions-fire-gm-mayhew-and-president-lewand but keep Caldwell for now...

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:37 pm

San Francisco Golddiggers wrote:
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/323557/lions-fire-gm-mayhew-and-president-lewand but keep Caldwell for now...

Was just going to post this. Haha, Caldwell is like a man in the middle of the ocean holding a barrel with a hole in it. He knows it's surely going to sink, and soon.

Quote :
Lions fired GM Martin Mayhew and team president Tom Lewand.
There has been no word on the status of coach Jim Caldwell, who is also on the hot seat. Mayhew took over GM duties during the Lions' 0-16 2008 campaign. He drafted Matthew Stafford as the first overall pick in 2009 and landed Ndamukong Suh in the first round a year later. Mayhew's more recent selections, such as Kyle Van Noy in the second round a year ago and Darius Slay in 2013, have not fared as well, and the departure of Suh and 2011 first-round pick Nick Fairley in free agency this offseason left the defense lacking talent. Despite the struggles this year, the Lions made the playoffs twice in Mayhew's tenure, the only two playoff berths for the franchise since 1999. With the man who drafted him now out of the picture, Stafford's future with the team is uncertain. He is owed a $17 million base salary next season, and Detroit could save $11.5 million against the 2016 cap by moving him.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:27 pm

First, glad they are gone.

Second, I also read that the Owner - Martha Ford has been more involved than her late husband - which would have been hard to do since that bag of potatoes pretty much never said or did anything. But, what's disconcerting is that she has apparently given a very prominent role to one of her daughters instead of Bill Ford Jr (who until his dad died had been pretty involved & was the reason we finally got rid of Matt Millen). Why she would give a prominent role to her daughter and not Jr is crazy.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:41 pm

Good thing they still have Caldwell. Rolling Eyes

Hearing that Martha and her daughter are at the helm would make me wicked nervous if I were a big Lions fan.

Back to top Go down
Baja Beatniks

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:20 pm

Defense looked as good as it has all season in week 10. Changes they made during the bye screwed me if they stick with them and I'm guessing they will. Tulloch's snaps had already been erratic but keeping Whitehead in on every down seemed to impact his scoring more. Not an Ihedigbo owner, but looks they don't like him anymore. Replaced with some dude I've never heard of. They had to try something I guess. Curious to see snap counts in week 11.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:32 pm

Really cool article written by Joey Harrington for SI. Obviously, more interesting to Lions fans, but a really cool perspective on his time in the NFL

https://thecauldron.si.com/despite-what-you-may-think-my-nfl-career-was-a-success-179aeca1b1e7#.wtvldgos0

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:17 pm

Looking like they have a GM. Bob Quinn from the Patriots. Young guy - only 39. Wonder what will happen with Caldwell.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/01/08/detroit-lions-bob-quinn/78525244/

Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:30 pm

Nothing official yet...

Twitter wrote:
New Lions GM Bob Quinn acknowledges that he's yet to decide coach Jim Caldwell's fate.
Quinn said he just met Caldwell on Monday morning, and doesn't know when they'll have a longer meeting. The fact that Quinn declined to endorse his incumbent coach at his introductory presser speaks volumes. We'd guess Caldwell gets a pink slip this week.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:08 pm

Oaktown Malosos wrote:
Nothing official yet...

Twitter wrote:
New Lions GM Bob Quinn acknowledges that he's yet to decide coach Jim Caldwell's fate.
Quinn said he just met Caldwell on Monday morning, and doesn't know when they'll have a longer meeting. The fact that Quinn declined to endorse his incumbent coach at his introductory presser speaks volumes. We'd guess Caldwell gets a pink slip this week.  

I think it's just the opposite. The longer it goes, the more likely Caldwell is to stay. Quinn also said he wanted to speak with team leaders to get their take on Caldwell. Calvin and Stafford have both come out (unlike they have in the past) to say they want him to stay.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:21 pm

What could possibly make them want to keep him?

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:41 am

What could possibly make them want to keep him?

In general, it's a combination of last season (11-5) and the 2nd half of this year. You can say it was worse competition, but the combo of the new OC with Stafford really brought out the best in him. Stafford has had probably 4-5 OC in his career and the thought may be to get some continuity. I would not be surprised if the new GM gives them a year - which would give him a quick out if it's not working while he's fully evaluating everyone.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:00 am

If I were a new GM, I wouldn't want to start my time out using something from the past regime that wasn't working, continuity be damned. Continuity is only good if the "thing" is good. If it's blah or sucks like I suspect Caldwell is then continuity only buys you more of the same so if that's where the new GM decides to go then I'll already have my doubts about him.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:35 am

That is certainly the other side of the coin.

fwiw, there's a poll on a Lions page asking fans what they think is WILL happen -- 2/3 think Caldwell will be back...

The 2nd poll is do you think he SHOULD be back and about 1/3 think he should return.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:48 am

As a Packer fan I hope Caldwell will be back. He has a confused look on his face all the time. Just puzzled.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:41 am

Caldwell stays..

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14574820/detroit-lions-stick-jim-caldwell-head-coach

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:48 am

Sanibel Gadabouts wrote:
Caldwell stays..

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14574820/detroit-lions-stick-jim-caldwell-head-coach

I wish there was a giant heart smiley. This one is not big enough for this post. love

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:10 am

Enjoy another year of this Lions fans...

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:15 am

Andy,

Was that just after they won or right after the hail mary loss...

No one knows! haha

Back to top Go down
Winsted Psychos

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:03 pm

Sanibel Gadabouts wrote:
Caldwell stays..

And Calvin Johnson is most likely going...... Sad sad time to be a Lions fan.....

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:43 am

Quote :
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Lions will retain Jim Bob Cooter as offensive coordinator.

This was widely expected after the team retained coach Jim Caldwell. In fact, the opportunity to keep Cooter and DC Teryl Austin likely was a factor in the decision to keep Caldwell around. Cooter worked magic with Matthew Stafford after taking over as coordinator. Stafford had 19 touchdowns to just two interceptions in the team's final eight games.

Cooter stays. Man I wish he had a different name....

Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:21 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:

Love this name, almost every night... yes

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:31 pm

Oaktown Malosos wrote:
Titletown Tyrants wrote:

Love this name, almost every night... yes

Rob probably has a picture of this guy above his bed.

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:42 am

Beat the Colts.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:45 am

YEAH BUDDY

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:32 am

Did anyone watch the whole Lions/Colts game yesterday? I saw the last few minutes but didn't get a chance to see how the game played out earlier. I am curious how the running game looked. I wasn't surprised to see Riddick catch a lot of balls but was surprised to see Abudllah shine in the passing game as well. I was also surprised to see Riddick getting 7 carries -- and performing well when given the chance. It also looks like Washington may be a TD vulture. Were both of his carries on the goal line?

Any insight would be helpful.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:45 am

Stop being surprised with Ameer. You need to fear Ameer. He's the fucking man.

Sadly, as I had to go to my sister's dinner, I couldn't watch the game :(

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:47 am

I was really high on Ameer last year and took him in several leagues but was very disappointed in how the season played out. I'm hoping for great things this year.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:07 am

You and I are too alike Russ!

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:22 am

Ameer played well. Riddick is uncoverable though. He was out for a large chunk of the game being evaluated for a concussion, but was cleared at beginning of 4th/end of 3rd. Both of Washingtons carries were at goaline, 1st and goal from 1 for nothing and then 2nd and goal for the TD

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:24 am

Whiskey Creek Gadabouts wrote:
Ameer played well.  Riddick is uncoverable though.  He was out for a large chunk of the game being evaluated for a concussion, but was cleared at beginning of 4th/end of 3rd.   Both of Washingtons carries were at goaline, 1st and goal from 1 for nothing and then 2nd and goal for the TD

Thanks. That's what it looked like from the box score. I did see one nice catch by Riddick at the end.

Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:18 pm

My question...Is Stafford possibly "better" without Calvin Johnson? He seemed to actually go through his progressions, read the defense, and make a decision based on that; as opposed to forcing it to CJ. Guess it's to early to tell, and the Colt's D sucks... laughing

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:24 pm

To be fair he has more weapons now too. For a long time it was JUST CJ. Sure Nate Washington tried and a few others but it was just really the Johnson show. Tate showed up and helped a little but it was still just those two. No run game, no #3 or TE threat.

Ebron may finally be living up to his draft grade this year. Riddick and Ameer are a great one two punch at RB. Marvin Jones, Golden Tate, and Anquan Bolden make a great trio at WR. I feel like Stafford never went through his progressions as much before because there wasn't really much past the first two looks.

Very happy they finally have some real weapons.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:15 pm

Nobody is better without Calvin. If anything it highlights how poorly the Lions used him and built around him. THEY created the situation. Believe this: Marvin Jones is overrated and if they could have motherfuckin Calvin Johnson instead this team would be much much much better off. Duh.

Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:18 pm

Nobody is better without Calvin. If anything it highlights how poorly the Lions used him and built around him. THEY created the situation. Believe this: Marvin Jones is overrated and if they could have motherfuckin Calvin Johnson instead this team would be much much much better off. Duh.

ROFL That was easy... Evil laugh

I'm just surprised Justin weighed in ahead of you... wink

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:19 pm

No doubt Andy. Calvin Johnson > Marin Jones.

But a functional run game, Marvin Jones, Anquan Boldin, and Ebron > Calvin Johnson.

I'd love to see the Lions make a run for it because CJ said he may not have retired if the Lions were contenders Laughing

Now, to be fair, Theo, Ameer, and Ebron were all on the team last year with CJ but CJ was also hurt for a lot of the season.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:20 pm

Ebron and Jones are fools gold.

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:21 pm

Lions looked pretty good. But it was the Colts who barely had a fit defensive player and lost 3 more during the game.

We'll learn a bit more next week against the Titans but they ain't exactly scary on D either.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:23 am

Saw this posted on a Lions message board...

I wonder why their run game isn't good.  lol   God it sucks being a Lions fan. hairout

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:46 am

OMFG. Who is that, Ebron?

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:06 pm

Yup... Ebron is looking at the crowd and I can't figure out who is taking a knee (Reiff?)... Apparently, Reiff didn't realize that you should take a knee during the national anthem not during the game. Nick, he's just trying to show his support to the cause. lol

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Detroit Lions   

Back to top Go down

Detroit Lions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Player talk-
Jump to: