x

Share | 

Calvin Johnson WR RET

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Hamilton Steel Cats

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:52 pm

Well his cap hit number was 20.5 M this year (2015), so is 4 M more some sort of drop dead zone for the Lions? I doubt it as Johnson cap hit numbers drops after that. See below.

Age 30 Yr 2016 is 24M
Age 31 Yr 2017 is 21.3M
Age 32 Yr 2018 is 17M
Age 33 Yr 2019 is 18.25M

Factor in the always seemingly rising NFL salary cap.

2013 was approx 123M
2014 was approx 133M
2015 was approx 143M

See a pattern? 10M a year growth. Using some of the money to pay a face of a franchise 4M more to stay does not seem out of question to me. Calvin has about as much decent shelf life as the deal in place.

Final thought? Would you rather pay a hobo like Mike Wallace 11M or Calvin 20+?

coffee

Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:52 pm

Forget the name, is 75/1100/8 sound like it's worth 24m. It doesn't in my opinion. IMO only elite QB's are worth that money? Keep in mind if Johnson is that much of an impact player their record would reflect that. He is not an impact player. Just because someone was insane enough to pay Wallace 11m doesn't mean Johnson is worth 24m.

Back to top Go down
Hamilton Steel Cats

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:08 pm

None of these fuckin humps are worth half what they are being paid.  I don't care if it is 10M, 15M or 20M.  We are so brain washed that they are entertainers and deserve these whopping sums of money, and pony up and dole it out to them through ticket sales, merchandise, tv money etc...  The fans really need to wake the fuck up and revolutionize the sports industry through a massive fan strike to bring the prices back in line some with what people actaully earn in the real world.  The sums they make in baseball, football, hockey, basketball, and soccer are absolutely insane.  

Now in regards to Calvin and his numbers being worth 24M.  More than numbers go into a players worth.  Does having a certain player at a crazy number make sense if he is the face of the team, is he a club house guy that makes others around him better, does he help sell the team, sell tickets, does he work within the community, is he a good team first guy etc....  Nothing is white and black when it comes to pay and worth on players.  Also, the overall pay scale of the team comes into play.  If you have young under paid talent ala' the Astros and Cubs for example one can over pay for two or three years of service from a Vet F/A type and still balance their payroll books.

That being said, I stick to my opening paragraph, these athletes in todays world are way the fuck over paid.  Based on simple math in 1989/1990 approx. Rickey Henderson, Kirby Puckett et al were the highest in baseball at 3M per year.  Now baseballs highest are 30M.  That is a 1000% increase.  Who has earned even a 100% or 200% increase in pay over the last 25 yrs?

Time to take a stand and take back sports or foeverr be the slave to franchises are their too stupid for their own good ownership groups.

Hallelujah! ...  wink

p.s. Have a Nice Day, even if it ain't your Birthday.

Back to top Go down
Hamilton Steel Cats

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:28 pm

Oh, and one more thing. I missed in my last post for the second paragraph that would aid in justifying Calvins 24M cap number for 2016. This one is a biggie and I forgot about in my mini player rant. Should the Lions want to rid themselves of Calvins 24M hit it creates a 12.9M dead cap space hit for 2016. So when you strip that off the 24M figure that leaves 11.1M of actual money to retain C.J. for the year. Now gasing him after 2016 but prior to 2017 the dead cap space hit drops to a more manageable 4.86M and his schedules salary of 21.4M. Which leaves a swing number of 16.54M. This would seem like a more ideal time to look at parting ways should it comes to that.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:46 pm

Calvin isn't going anywhere.

Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:37 am

Sanibel Gadabouts wrote:
Calvin isn't going anywhere.
That's why the Lions are the Lions, you can get a Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb for < 18mil. You still have 6 mil leftover. I don't care that it's Calvin Johnson, you're not getting your money's worth at 24mil.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:16 am

it's not about his cost this year... It's that the lions have restructured him multiple times and this season it's coming home to roost. Going off memory, even if they dropped him, there is 12-13m in dead money that they'll have to pay either way.

I think Calvin goes the route of Larry Fitzgerald and redoes his contract. Especially if they keep that Caldwell clown.

Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:16 am

I would hate to see Calvin leave the Lions.  He is getting older, but the dude is still a beast.  If Stafford can just keep feeding him the ball, he wI'll show he still has a few good years left.  He showed yesterday he is still a guy that needs to be thrown to at least 10 times a game.  

That's why I wish more QBs were like Roethlisberger.  Keep throwing the ball to your best option, no matter what!

Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:07 pm

He is good for sure buts he's 10-12million dollars good not 24million good

Back to top Go down
Hamilton Steel Cats

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:22 pm

Muskego Muskies wrote:
He is good for sure buts he's 10-12million dollars good not 24million good

And that is exactly what they are paying him as his actual real money salary is 11.1 M this year. The other 12.9 M is dead money they need to pay him regardless of whether he is on the team or not.

coffee

Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:31 pm

So if they didn't have him they'd save 11 million? Good... Gone... See ya later

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:46 pm

Muskego Muskies wrote:
So if they didn't have him they'd save 11 million? Good... Gone... See ya later

A lot of it is admitting mistakes. Not saying signing Tron is a mistake, because he is one of the all time greats already in my eyes, but that contract is just ridiculous. The cut would hurt them year one since they are sucking up so much dead money, but in the long run it is inevitable that he is released unless they rework it, and that will be tough.

Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:16 pm

Next year: Johnson 24 million, Stafford 22.5 million... surprised

Back to top Go down
Hamilton Steel Cats

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:20 pm

Muskego Muskies wrote:
Next year: Johnson 24 million, Stafford 22.5 million... surprised

And that is why the Lions are looking for a GM. The last one had the common sense of a fruit fly. But all is well, the old widow Martha Firestone Ford is gonna hire the right guy this time ... laughing

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:23 pm

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2016/

Hmmm. 23M under the cap for 2016. I think the Lions will be fine keeping megetron at that price.

high five

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:14 pm

Wow........

Quote :
Calvin Johnson released a statement Wednesday confirming he is considering retiring from the NFL this offseason.

"Like many players at this stage of their career, I am currently evaluating options for my future," Johnson said. "I would expect to have a decision regarding this matter in the not-too-distant future." Set to turn 31 this year (in September) and coming off myriad injury-plagued seasons, Johnson simply seems worn down. Hopefully he'll sit down, rest up, and decide to continue his career after his body heals. But it's clear that this could be it for Megatron.

Back to top Go down
Las Vegas DeGenerates

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:17 pm

Lol... No fucking way Calvin walks away from 25 million bucks... Detroit gonna have to cut his ass and pay him. ZERO CHANCE Calvin retires... ZERO.

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:07 pm

Las Vegas DeGenerates wrote:
Lol... No fucking way Calvin walks away from 25 million bucks... Detroit gonna have to cut his ass and pay him.  ZERO CHANCE Calvin retires... ZERO.

I hope you are right.

#DETROITWHEREGREATSRETIREEARLY

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:15 pm

At least Detroit is getting better at it.. No reason to retire 2 days before training camp.

If he retires, I wish him all the best. He gave everything he had and he's really had a lot of lingering things the past couple of years. He seems like the kind of guy who wants to walk away before it's too late.

I just hope he's not following the Bus Cook/Brett Favre retirement model.

Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:35 pm

No way he retires!  But, if he is this mindset, he isn't worth owning in fantasy.  Not good when a player is contemplating retirement this early.

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:40 pm

I'd be surprised if he walks away.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:45 pm

I think his spirit is crushed. Can't blame him there.

People keep saying he is done or whatever...that's fucking ridiculous. Is he where he was 6 years ago? No, but he could wipe that fucking smile off any DB in he league's face any day.

He just needs a QB, a coach and a team that aren't so committed to eating piles of shit for breakfast day in and day out.

Dear Detroit, your best player is thinking about throwing in the towel but go ahead, stay the course with those other key pieces you have.

Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:09 pm

If you have a Calvin Johnson on your team how the hell are you not designing about 10-15 plays a game where you look at Stafford and say "If you don't throw it to Calvin on this play, I'll find someone who will". Seriously....if you throw him a jump ball 10 times a game he's going to catch 7 or 8 of them.

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:45 pm

crazy.... but I wouldn't blame him - has he EVER been to the playoffs?

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:00 pm

Kane County Goon Squad wrote:
crazy.... but I wouldn't blame him - has he EVER been to the playoffs?

Twice in his career, in 2011 and 2014.

Back to top Go down
Hamilton Steel Cats

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:53 pm

Calvin has made to date approx. 100M. Add in endorsement deals and commercial money and I'm sure he is more than comfortable to pack up his shit and retire.

He has had a wonky wheel (knee issue) for some time now, likely sees the Lions for what they are (a team constantly floundering), and is getting sick and tired of beating down his body. I would take his retirement talk seriously. We (the commoners) may not walk away from 25M in 2016, but he certainly could.

2cents

coffee

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:09 pm

Hamilton Steel Cats wrote:
Calvin has made to date approx. 100M.  Add in endorsement deals and commercial money and I'm sure he is more than comfortable to pack up his shit and retire.

He has had a wonky wheel (knee issue) for some time now, likely sees the Lions for what they are (a team constantly floundering), and is getting sick and tired of beating down his body.  I would take his retirement talk seriously.  We (the commoners) may not walk away from 25M in 2016, but he certainly could.

2cents

coffee

I can see where you're going here. I don't know how you guys feel, but being on a team sport with a team that always sucks is no fun whatsoever. Poor Joe Thomas.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:31 pm

Quote :
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Calvin Johnson told Lions coach Jim Caldwell that he plans to retire.

Megatron informed Caldwell of his retirement decision "the day after the regular season ended." Per Schefter, Johnson had even told friends and family he planned to make 2015 his final NFL year before the season began. The Lions reportedly "haven't given up hope" that Johnson will change his mind, but a "person close to him" says Johnson is "pretty content" with his decision. Johnson turned 30 years old in September. He has the entire offseason to reconsider -- with a $16 million salary hanging in the balance -- but there seems to be no question Megatron is serious about retirement at this point in time.

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:39 pm

Not sure this is a bluff to get out of Detroit...

This could be FOR REALZ!

surprised

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:52 pm

I think he is finished. He said his body is hurting and the injuries are mounting. He had a great career.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:07 pm

Selfishly I want him to keep playing.

Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:12 pm

I wish I could watch him play 1yr with Aaron, I'd love to see the Madden like numbers.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:13 pm

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Selfishly I want him to keep playing.

This is my thought as well. Even though he has torn up my Packers, dude has been a pleasure to watch.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:06 pm

I first heard about this from an unsubstantiated rumor on the FBG's forums and it looks like the poster did have some inside knowledge. I'd hate to see him retire but, if he's set up his finances correctly, I wouldn't blame him for walking away. I've met a few retired football players and the toll it takes on their body is crazy. I remember seeing Johnny Unitas at a golf course and hearing that he had to use a wrap around his hand so that he could hold a golf club.

Back to top Go down
Valhalla Viktors

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:48 am

I've always been a big Megatron fan, and hate to see him go. I think at the end of the day the injuries just kind of caught up to him, and he seems like hes a guy who has been smart with his money. Wish i could have retired at age 30 too.

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:59 am

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
I first heard about this from an unsubstantiated rumor on the FBG's forums and it looks like the poster did have some inside knowledge.  I'd hate to see him retire but, if he's set up his finances correctly, I wouldn't blame him for walking away.  I've met a few retired football players and the toll it takes on their body is crazy.  I remember seeing Johnny Unitas at a golf course and hearing that he had to use a wrap around his hand so that he could hold a golf club.  

I was reading that thread as well. They lit that guy up. Turns out he was spot on.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:14 am

Norfolk Bombers wrote:
Bergen Brawlers wrote:
I first heard about this from an unsubstantiated rumor on the FBG's forums and it looks like the poster did have some inside knowledge.  I'd hate to see him retire but, if he's set up his finances correctly, I wouldn't blame him for walking away.  I've met a few retired football players and the toll it takes on their body is crazy.  I remember seeing Johnny Unitas at a golf course and hearing that he had to use a wrap around his hand so that he could hold a golf club.  

I was reading that thread as well.  They lit that guy up.  Turns out he was spot on.

Some guy over there just called him Nostradaemon -- daemon is his username. I think that he's going to retire but may gamble on him in a few spots. I just traded 2.4, 3.2, and Justin Hunter for him in a 10 team PPR non-IDP. That 3.2 and Hunter would likely be dropped as I'm churning the roster. So I basically factoring in the odds of getting value from the 2.4 or Calvin. I'll go with the talent all day in a small league.

BTW, I didn't realize we had another Dolphins' fan here -- awesome.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:50 am

Only time will tell I guess. I am still not completely sold that he is done and won't believe it until TC rolls around and he is not there.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:24 am

This is certainly disheartening as a CJ owner... but I will hold out a little hope he changes his mind... I am prepared to go down with the ship if that is how it plays out, since dealing him for any kind of value is probably not a possibility. Please don't send the lowball offers...

Back to top Go down
Kirksville Growlers

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:46 pm

Megatron has always been a player I have enjoyed watching. I hate to hear this news as a football fan as the NFL is better with him in it. Good luck to Calvin if this is what he wants

Back to top Go down
Belgium Waffles

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:16 pm

I don't blame him. Injuries have been mounting and he does not want to be hurting the rest of his life. This reminds me of Tiki Barber.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:20 pm

But Tiki was 31 1/2 years old when he retired, which is plenty old for a RB.

Back to top Go down
Belgium Waffles

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:25 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
But Tiki was 31 1/2 years old when he retired, which is plenty old for a RB.

I thought Tiki made a comment that he did not want to hurt the rest of his life as the reason he retired. He still had a couple years left that he could have played.

Calvin has been battling injuries for a couple years now. His body is breaking down quicker than some. It's hard to walk away but Detroit is not good plus the pain makes it easier to decide.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:13 pm

He's given enough to the game. He sure was fun to watch. So glad I got to see him dominate a game in person.

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:43 pm

I think 6 years of having Matthew Stafford throw the ball at you would be enough for anyone.

raise eyebrow

Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:53 pm

See the new John Clayton article? Basically says he's not a sure 1st ballot HOFer after only 9yrs and the Hall is tough on WR's. What do you guys think, 1st Ballot or not? http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14691172

Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:03 pm

I guess when I think of 1st Ballot HOFer, I think "one of the greatest". Is CJ one of the greatest? I think he's in the conversation but I'm not quite sure he's in that 1st Ballot upper echelon

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:04 pm

Calvin was the undeniable best wr over a several year period. That puts him in the Hall in my eyes. This isn't a Sterling Sharpe situation to me. He's played long enough and at a high enough level to be first ballot.

Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:09 pm

I think the 1st ballot might all come down to what group he goes in with that year

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:13 pm

They are saying that T.O. may not be a first ballot. Look at his stats compared to Tron's. Off the field stuff aside...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   

Back to top Go down

Calvin Johnson WR RET
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Player talk-
Jump to: