Calvin Johnson WR RET

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:49 am

Sanibel Gadabouts wrote:
Thank you Calvin... It was a great run.  

I also saw that he officially submitted his retirement papers to the league as well.  

So glad that I got to see him dominate a game in person.  

Yep, even though he reeked havoc on my team for 9 years, it was a pleasure to watch him.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:03 pm

Even though this bites me in the nards in RW, I am glad he was honest about retiring and being respectful to the Lions and not faking it in order to try and get released and go to another team, that sort of tactic is pretty shitty. In fact the NFL really should have some sort of protection against that, something as simple as a rule that if you retire while under contract, you cannot re-enter the league and play for any other team than the one that you were already contract with. Easy...

Anyhow, thanks for all the great memories Calvin, you were one of the best!

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:48 pm

Some really good players leaving the league this year.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:01 pm

Sorta. I mean it's not like we're losing them in their prime. I feel like the impact of Peyton and Calvin retiring won't be that overwhelming TBH.

Back to top Go down
Saint Johns Venomous Mocs

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:35 pm

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:57 pm

I'm gonna miss watching him play. He retired like he played...top shelf the whole way. So rare to see players who just play the game at an high level and not be attention whores who stir up shit.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:11 pm

This is a move he will surely regret if he has any passion at all for football. I can imagine there are some folks out there that play at a professional level just because they are good at it and can make a lot of money doing it, rather than for the love of the game. I guess once you have cashed in, your options of chasing your dreams are nearly endless, so I hope he finds what he is looking for.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:14 pm

Morrison Minions wrote:
This is a move he will surely regret if he has any passion at all for football. I can imagine there are some folks out there that play at a professional level just because they are good at it and can make a lot of money doing it, rather than for the love of the game. I guess once you have cashed in, your options of chasing your dreams are nearly endless, so I hope he finds what he is looking for.

Yeah but depending on how his body feels, he's actually wise enough to do the right thing over the the thing that makes him happy in the short term. That's rare in the NFL (and the world for that matter) but I could see it being the case here. I don't question his passion.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:18 pm

I think a large part of his decision making process involved Barry. Barry is around the Lions a lot. He's said repeatedly that he was happy he left when he did. He's still "around" and I woudln't be the least bit surprised if Calvin was able to see how Barry was living and that he could still walk and talk and his health issues are somewhat limited because of when he got out.

I don't know. But, I'm happy for Calvin. He was a class act from the moment he was drafted until the moment he hung them up. There's nothing in his career and what he led the public to know about him that would suggest that he's not being honest now in saying that he's at peace with the decision and "it's time".

He's lucky. He'll be a success in whatever he chooses to do next. Work ethic and integrity don't go out the window with this retirement. He'll be fine.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:39 pm

Confirmed again that he is not coming back. I own him in one league, and am holding out hope just in case. Think I will hold him through the year, but I believe him.

Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:01 pm

I haven't read all of the posts for CJ, but the question that I'm not sure I can answer definitively is "Is Calvin Johnson a first ballot Hall of Famer?" My opinion: Yes, since for the short time he played, he was top 5 at his position. Fastest ever to 10,000 yards too.

However, I can see the arguments for keeping him out of the Hall, at least on the first ballot: lack of playoff success, relatively short career. Still, when healthy, was one of the best I ever seen...

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:03 pm

Shaferville Stars wrote:
I haven't read all of the posts for CJ, but the question that I'm not sure I can answer definitively is "Is Calvin Johnson a first ballot Hall of Famer?" My opinion: Yes, since for the short time he played, he was top 5 at his position. Fastest ever to 10,000 yards too.

However, I can see the arguments for keeping him out of the Hall, at least on the first ballot: lack of playoff success, relatively short career. Still, when healthy, was one of the best I ever seen...

Yeah, read page 2-3 on this. It's a subject that all outlets have covered, and I bet a vote would be 55/45 in favor, maybe more.

Back to top Go down
Las Vegas DeGenerates

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:43 pm

First ballot hall of famers are guys that DOMINATED the game during their time in the league to me... Guys that caused coaches to completely alter their game plans and the league had to completely alter the rule book for them...

Calvin Johnson dominated the league while he played. Coaches had to have two completely different game plans... One for when Calvin was on the field, and one for when he wasn't. The damn it is a catch versus it's not a catch talks... Calvin no doubt is a first ballot hall of famer... But he'll probably only get 60% of the votes.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:43 pm

Quote :
Retired Calvin Johnson told ESPN E:60 that he took painkillers "every day" during his playing career.

Megatron stated team doctors handed out painkillers "like candy" early in his career, before scaling back as it progressed. "You can’t take Toradol and pain medicine every day, you know. You’ve got to give that stuff a rest, and that was one thing I wasn’t willing to do." Megatron also admitted he had his "fair share" of concussions. Johnson added that he might have put off retirement for another few years if the Lions were more competitive: "If we would’ve been a contender, it would have been harder to let go." Johnson turns 31 in September.

So because the Lions suck dick, means that I get dicked in one of my fantasy leagues.

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:44 am

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Quote :
Retired Calvin Johnson told ESPN E:60 that he took painkillers "every day" during his playing career.

Megatron stated team doctors handed out painkillers "like candy" early in his career, before scaling back as it progressed. "You can’t take Toradol and pain medicine every day, you know. You’ve got to give that stuff a rest, and that was one thing I wasn’t willing to do." Megatron also admitted he had his "fair share" of concussions. Johnson added that he might have put off retirement for another few years if the Lions were more competitive: "If we would’ve been a contender, it would have been harder to let go." Johnson turns 31 in September.

So because the Lions suck dick, means that I get dicked in one of my fantasy leagues.

Yeah, imagine what Barry Sanders would have done if the Lions were more competitive.  They are a curse and sadly my home team. sad3

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:46 am

It's actually a shame.  I loved watching Barry while I was young. I was Barry in the backyard while playing football and I didn't truly understand when he left. I was like, "What? He has rushed for 3500 yards in the last two seasons, why??"

Tron is a shame too. Stand up dude. So many players at that position are diva's, to have a great attitude and a guy who gives back like him is incredible. Watching him brought a smile to my face, even though I cursed him out several times over the years while he ripped up my team.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:06 pm

No, he is not coming back, at least not yet.

I am still holding on to him in one league, and final cutdowns are coming up in 20 days... He is done right? I have him sitting on a 4 year deal, and would love to hold on to guys who could help me.

I know he is done, but if he would happen to come back in the next year I would kick myself forever.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calvin Johnson WR RET   

Back to top Go down

Calvin Johnson WR RET
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Player talk-
Jump to: