HomeLog inRegisterFAQSearch

Share | 

Matt Forte RB NYJ

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:27 am

So, does he hold out? He had threatened to at one time. I am not sure they get a deal done.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/02/matt-forte-franchise-tag-bears_n_1317941.html

Quote :
LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Pro Bowl running back Matt Forte received the franchise tag from the Chicago Bears on Friday.

Forte sprained the medial collateral ligament in his right knee early in a loss to Kansas City on Dec. 4 and sat out the rest of the season.

Without Forte and quarterback Jay Cutler, the Bears struggled down the stretch and finished third in the NFC North and missed the playoffs with an 8-8 record.

Forte still got selected to his first Pro Bowl, finishing with 1,487 yards from scrimmage and 997 rushing in his fourth season. He averaged 4.9 yards per carry. Forte was the first Chicago running back to make it to the Pro Bowl since Neal Anderson following the 1991 season.

Forte came into last season looking for an extension, but did not reach an agreement with the Bears.

Forte was reportedly offered a deal that guaranteed about $13 million or $14 million, but might have been looking for something closer to the five-year, $43 million contract with $21 million guaranteed that Carolina gave DeAngelo Williams.

"Matt is an important part of our football team and we chose to utilize the franchise tag to ensure he remains a Bear," Bears general manager Phil Emery said. "We believe in Matt as a player and a person. Our intention is to continue to work to find common ground and keep Matt as a member of the Chicago Bears in 2012 and beyond."
Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:24 am

I can see why he would hold out. He's such an integral part of the time it's insulting they won't just give him his due.

Back to top Go down
Hamilton Steel Cats

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:17 am

Jersey Legionnaires wrote:
I can see why he would hold out. He's such an integral part of the time it's insulting they won't just give him his due.

He can hold out if he wants, but holding out seldom works nowadays. The Bears are using the CBA that was bartered for by the players and owners. Forte does not have to like it, love it, but does have to live with it. Living with a 7.7M pay day certainly is not the worse thing to happen to someone. I feel zero pity for all athletes. They are more than justly paid and they certainly don't feel pity for the 10, 20, and 30 plus buck an hour workers out there. So why would I feel for them when they are cashing 500k to 15M a year? Invested by even a simpleton that is 25k to 750k per year in interest alone. Did they cure cancer? No. Did they invent a new found device that helps mankind? No. They play sports and entertain me (us). If this was 500 years ago I believe we would call them Jesters. Anyways, that's my 2cents
Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:27 am

Todd, very well stated, that's the reason I stopped following Baseball in 1994. 3rd time I saw a stoppage and it was enough for me. Haven't cared since.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:32 am

These guys put their health and their longevity on the line for these big paydays. I think it's unfortunate that if they put a one year tag on a guy and hurts himself BAD towards the end then he's most likely gone. There's no security. Obviously they're compensated well for it but you would think the Bears would appreciate what they have in Matt Forte and what he brings to the team.

Back to top Go down
Hamilton Steel Cats

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:46 am

Decatur Demons wrote:
Todd, very well stated, that's the reason I stopped following Baseball in 1994. 3rd time I saw a stoppage and it was enough for me. Haven't cared since.

Bob, funny you should bring up the MOST overpaid lot of the bunch (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL etc...). I was a HUGE baseball fan from '76 till '94 (the NO World Series) year. After the '94 screw job I didn't watch regular season Baseball for 5 years, maybe more. I do watch now, but I don't have the love, passion, or even care that much any more. Those douches (especially Don Fehr) broke it for me. I stopped buying their merchandise for the most part, and have attended only 3 to 5 games Baseball games in the past 18 years. Now Fehr is running the NHL Players Union. Hockey has had 2 lengthy lock-outs one in '94/'95 and another in '03/'04. Hockey is huge for me, but one more stoppage and I may just snap a lid. I think the likely hood of a stoppage is greater than before with that money grubbing hump dick Fehr calling the shots for the players now, so my optimism on a deal being brokered is slim at this time and shrinking. I may be like you and going with the 3 strike rule (no pun intended) on my 1 or 1A sport. NFL and NHL are that close for me.
Back to top Go down
Hamilton Steel Cats

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:12 am

These guys put their health and their longevity on the line for these big paydays. I think it's unfortunate that if they put a one year tag on a guy and hurts himself BAD towards the end then he's most likely gone. There's no security. Obviously they're compensated well for it but you would think the Bears would appreciate what they have in Matt Forte and what he brings to the team.

Justin, I fully understand where you are coming from and yes, they are putting their health on the line. However, I did not ask them too. If they don't someone else will, of all the sports players are more readily and easily replaced in football IMO. After all the average career is less than 5 years. That being said, If a 5 year player works for 600k a year and makes 3M over that period, then gets tagged and makes 7M plus on one year but suffers a career ending injury that approx. aged 28 year old fellow has 10M in pay. That's a pretty decent hunk of change IMO to walk ... errr limp away with. I would call that security as if invested properly that player should not have to work again if he so chooses.

As for appreciation. I'm sure teams appreciate their players, their fans, their cities etc... However, just cause their is an appreciation does that mean I am dumb, foolish, or overzealous in how I spend my money? The players know this is a business, they had a say in the CBA and how it works. Just cause a player delivers the mail weekly does not mean you sign a fat guaranteed deal with him. Forte for example has 4 years under his belt and 1237 rushes and catches combined. He is currently 26 years old. His touches are in line and not overly high where wear and tear comes into play. He is averaging 300 plus touches, not the danger zone 400 number. He also has a shelf life of about 4 more decent years should he avoid serious injury. The Bears could now Tag him in 2012 and 2013 and pay him approx. 15M over 2 years without the risk as each deal is a 1 year only play. They (the Bears) can get 2 of the 4 decent years left no matter what.
Forte turned down what was believed to be 13.5M to 14M guaranteed over 3 years in the last contract offered to him by then GM Jerry Angelo. So if Forte stays healthy over the next 3 years he "wins", if he get seriously hurt he may "lose" or break even". The bottom line is he chose to go this route. He knows the risks, and he knows the rewards. He made a decision and now must play it out to some degree.
Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:54 am

Todd I absolutely agree with everything you said. Truth be told I was unaware of any 3 year deal offer. I also agree that any sane person should be set for life with the amount of money he's already gotten.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Destroyers

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:27 pm

Reminds me of this....

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:03 pm

i love this clip
Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:04 pm

Can you say holdout...

@MattForte22 Only so many times a man that's done everything he's asked can be disrespected! Guess GOOD GUYS do finish last

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:21 pm

Add the fact that Chicago signed Michael Bush and I can see them refusing to do a deal.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:45 pm

Atlanta Africans wrote:
Can you say holdout...

@MattForte22 Only so many times a man that's done everything he's asked can be disrespected! Guess GOOD GUYS do finish last

That does not sound promising
Back to top Go down
New Mexico Mad Clowns

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:13 pm

Looks like Forte will be moving

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:14 pm

New Mexico Mad Clowns wrote:

The Bears are bastards for not taking care of their guy.
Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:17 pm

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
New Mexico Mad Clowns wrote:

The Bears are bastards for not taking care of their guy.

Couldn't agree more. People say that 7.7Mil on the tag isn't chump change and I agree completely but it's the principle of the thing. Let's say he plays for the tag gets the 7.7Mil and goes down with a real bad injury halfway down the season (AP bad) the guy is screwed.
Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:31 pm

They can move him to Detroit :)

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:32 pm

Esp since the guy was on a 2nd round rookie deal - not like he made $20mil already...

Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:53 pm

Even as a second rounder his rookie contract was worth 3.78M (presuming that he made all the incentives) so he should be able to afford to hold out if he wants.

I can see two paths here:
1) Sign the franchise tender and hope to avoid injury. Perhaps having Bush around is good for that.
2) Hold out until the last possible date after which he might not qualify for the second year increase on the franchise tag. Minimize chance of injury while forgoing some pay now and force the Bears to pay 1.2*7.7M if they want to franchise him next year or let him become a FA.

Back to top Go down
Wyoming Headhunters

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:47 pm

Bears | Matt Forte not bigger than team (KFFL) Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith said franchise free-agent RB Matt Forte is not bigger than the team, despite his talent. Smith does not appear concerned with Forte's bitterness toward the team at this stage. "Right now, Matt Forte the football player has a problem with our organization. It's not about one person," Smith said Wednesday. March 28.

This is getting real ugly boys.....

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:51 pm

Wow what a mess... I want no part of that. Glad I don't own him.

Back to top Go down
Wyoming Headhunters

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:47 pm

(KFFL) Chicago Bears QB Jay Cutler said there shouldn't be a concern about franchise free-agent RB Matt Forte missing offseason workouts. He saw Forte three weeks ago and noticed he was in great shape. "He was huge, all ripped up," Cutler said. "I was like, 'What do you do?' (He said,) 'All I do is go to the weight room. I've got nothing else to do.' I think he misses being there, misses the camaraderie. He's got to do what he's got to do, and we'll get him when we get him."

PAY THE MAN....best player on the team....cmon

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:20 pm

amen...the Bears are being dumb here. This team could have a reason to be excited if this was taken care of...Bush can't carry it for you like Forte can retards.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:24 pm

Quote :
Forte's extension with Chicago contains more than $18 million in guaranteed money, Chicago Sun-Times writer Sean K. Jensen reports. Analysis: The four-year, $32 million deal isn't worth as much as LeSean McCoy's five-year, $45 million deal, but it appears Forte basically sacrificed that fifth year in exchange for more money guaranteed per year ($4.5 million compared to $4.15 million). The important point, in any case, is that Forte will be full-go for training camp, and he should make a push for the top 10 among fantasy runners in 2012.

Good for him!

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:59 pm

Yay - good for Forte and good for Forte owners cheers

Back to top Go down
Utah Spazz

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:17 pm

Bears are looking good this year, will be interesting to see how that O-Line does and if the Defense can still play at a high level

Back to top Go down
http://www.fakeplastictunes.com/
Carolina Werewolves

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:35 am

I own Forte an awful lot. Great news

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:21 am

Quote :
Bears running back Matt Forte has been ruled out for the game with an ankle injury. Analysis: A Packers defender landed on Forte's ankle during a tackle. The running back had his ankle taped up and was ready to return to the game but he reportedly had pain while cutting and went to the locker room.

Balls.

Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:33 am

Quote :
Bears running back Matt Forte has been ruled out for the game with an ankle injury. Analysis: A Packers defender landed on Forte's ankle during a tackle. The running back had his ankle taped up and was ready to return to the game but he reportedly had pain while cutting and went to the locker room.

Balls.

I threw up a little in my mouth

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:42 am

Decatur Demons wrote:
Quote :

Balls.

I threw up a little in my mouth

Because of the balls?

Back to top Go down
Carolina Werewolves

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:44 am

Ankle sprain. Maybe he can play next week?

Back to top Go down
Hamilton Steel Cats

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:23 am

I'm hearing the dreaded "high" ankle sprain. If true this could hamper his burst and cutting significantly, especially over the next 3 to 6 weeks pending whether they choose to rest him completely or spot use him.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:30 am

Hamilton Steel Cats wrote:
I'm hearing the dreaded "high" ankle sprain. If true this could hamper his burst and cutting significantly, especially over the next 3 to 6 weeks pending whether they choose to rest him completely or spot use him.

With Bush on the roster they might as well rest him.

Back to top Go down
San Diego Killers

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:45 am

Oh god... He was such a stud though Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:25 am

Aww...now I have to root for the guy I spent half of Sunday bitchin' about? WTF

Fine.

Get well quick Forte.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:47 am

Quote :
It has been revealed that running back Matt Forte suffered a high-ankle sprain in Thursday's loss to Green Bay.

Analysis: The Bears did not set a timetable for his return, and Michael Bush gets a boost in fantasy stock while starting in Fortes absence. Hopefully all Forte owners were able to handcuff the powerful Bush in fantasy drafts.

Bad news.

Back to top Go down
Utah Spazz

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:32 am

SUcks for Forte and his owners. He was looking really good.

Back to top Go down
http://www.fakeplastictunes.com/
Wyoming Headhunters

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:21 am

See ya in 4 weeks Matty. carted off

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:47 pm

Quote :
Updating an earlier report, coach Lovie Smith indicated Monday that Forte did not sustain a high ankle sprain this past Thursday against the Packers, ESPN Chicago reports. "Matt did go down with an ankle injury. It's not a high ankle sprain, as has been reported," Smith said Monday on WBBM 780-AM Radio. Analysis: Though Forte did not sustain the more severe variety of ankle sprains, he is still sore and his Week 3 status remains iffy enough for the Bears to have added some running back depth by re-signing Kahlil Bell.

The plot thickens.

Back to top Go down
Carolina Werewolves

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:18 pm

Good news for Forte owners. (I own him everywhere except roster wars) if he misses two weeks

Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:01 pm

Yeah, feeling better, plus he has an extra 3 days to rest it, so maybe only week 3!

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:26 am

Quote :
Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith said RB Matt Forte (ankle) won't be on the field when the team resumes practice Wednesday, Sept. 19, but Forte wasn't wearing an ankle brace or a walking boot Monday, Sept. 17, and didn't look to be in noticeable pain when jogging. 'He looked pretty good today,' Smith said. 'We're not ruling him out of anything just yet. He has a long way to go. I don't want you to start thinking he'll be out there practicing tomorrow; he's not.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:18 pm

Quote :
Chicago Tribune writer Brad Biggs believes that Forte (ankle) will miss Sunday's game against the Rams. Analysis: That's not a definitive call by any means, but Forte, who missed practice again Thursday, seems destined to give way to Michael Bush on Sunday. We'll know more on that front once Friday's official injury report is issued.

I consider the fact that it's even POSSIBLE that he MIGHT play a good sign after the original 4-6 week HAS timetable.

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:53 pm

No surprise and good news for the Forte owners that handcuffed him. Like my opponent this week. blow up

Matt Forte (ankle) has been ruled out for Week 3 against the Rams.

Although the Bears insist Forte's injury is not a high ankle sprain, they've provided no timetable for him to resume playing. Michael Bush will carry the mail in Mike Tice's power-running offense for the foreseeable future.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:07 pm

Quote :
Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith said the team is "hopeful" RB Matt Forte (ankle) will play in the team's Week 4 game Monday, Oct. 1. "He made a lot of progress last week, and we have an extra day also so that should help," Smith said.

Time will tell.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:40 pm

Quote :
Forte (ankle) is expected to miss Monday night's game against the Cowboys, Jason La Confora of CBSSports.com reports. Analysis: Forte missed Week 3's game against the Rams due to a sprained ankle. The Bears don't play until Monday night, so Forte has an extra day to heal, but it looks like Michael Bush will assume the starting running back role again in Week 4. Bush recorded 73 yards and a touchdown on 20 touches in Week 3.

Boooooo.

No reason to rush him back when they have Bush.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:14 am

Quote :
Chicago Bears RB Matt Forte's (ankle) injury isn't expected to effect him long term, but his status is in question for Week 13.

F Balls.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:42 pm

Quote :
Chicago Bears RB Matt Forte (ankle) said he plans on playing in Week 13 against the Seattle Seahawks. He put in limited work in practice for the second straight day. Analysis: It's looking good for Forte on Sunday, but Michael Bush's fantasy owners need not get too concerned as their RB figures to get plenty of work as well with Forte figuring to be at less than full strength.

Waste of a draft pick. He has frustrated the hell out of me.

Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:20 am

So..........

What is up here?

Realistically, he is a top 5-7 RB, or at least I thought he was. I get he has been a little dinged up, but his numbers are not very good this year. He may be lucky to break 1000 yards rushing. Only 3 TD's so far.

Atts Yards TD Rec Yards TD
2012 158 683 3 27 184 0
2011 203 997 3 52 490 1
2010 237 1069 6 51 547 3
2009 258 929 4 57 471 0
2008 315 1231 8 64 484 4

Over the last 4 years, a total of 20 TD's. That really isn't a great number, considering he had 12 in 2008. 5 TD avg in 4 years kinda sucks.
Add in Bush and Marshall.......

I think Marshall is the reason his Rec are down, I think Bush will continue to put a hurt on his TD's.

So where does everyone think he stands in FF? I am really starting to downgrade him at this point as I look to next season.

Thoughts?

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:23 pm

Big downgrade. I'm not one to generally worry about the "TD Vulcher" but in this case it's terrible. Starting to look like RB 15ish material.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matt Forte RB NYJ   

Back to top Go down

Matt Forte RB NYJ
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Player talk-
Jump to: