:: I forgot my password

Share | 

New Orleans Saints

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: New Orleans Saints   Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:34 pm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82757bcd/article/nfl-says-saints-created-bounty-program-from-20092011?module=HP11_headline_stack

Quote :

After a lengthy investigation conducted by the NFL's security department, the league announced Friday that 22 to 27 defensive players on the New Orleans Saints maintained a "pay for performance" program that included "bounty" payments administered by then-defensive coordinator Gregg Williams during the 2009, 2010 and 2011 seasons.

The program runs in violation of league rules, and the investigation showed that Saints players received $1,500 for a “knockout” hit and $1,000 for a “cart-off” hit with payouts doubling or tripling during the team's three playoff appearances. The program also entailed payments for interceptions and fumble recoveries, which also violates league rules against non-contract bonuses. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will determine the appropriate discipline based on the investigation, the league said in a statement.

Saw on twitter that Saints defense missed 114 tackles last year- wonder how many were going for the kill shot for a bounty

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:37 pm

Embarrassing for the Saints and the NFL. I'm hearing punishment is going to be 10X worse than Spygate. Big fines and loss of draft picks. Oh boy.... Apparently 50 grand was on the line when Farve was knocked out of the game.

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:38 pm

I can see Fisher needing to find a new DC

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:40 pm

Philadelphia Pigskins wrote:
I can see Fisher needing to find a new DC

They're saying that Payton knew all about it too.
Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:44 pm

Ridiculous. Goodell outta make a serious example out of them. If he doesn't, it is bound to happen again.
Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:45 pm

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Ridiculous. Goodell outta make a serious example out of them. If he doesn't, it is bound to happen again.

He has to. After all of the talk about player safety and changing the rules about helmet to helmet he is going to have to crucify the Saints or it will all ring hollow.
Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:46 pm

Sportsmanship at its best right here.

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:47 pm

This is big news. Interesting to see how this gets handled...

eating popcorn

Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:38 pm

They should follow the example of Futbol clubs in Europe, South America, Asia etc etc and demote the Saints to arena league for 2 years.

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:53 pm

seeing some reports it happened with the skins too when Williams was there

Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:57 pm

Now the real question.....what does Brees do?

Back to top Go down
New Mexico Mad Clowns

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:28 pm

Wow there may be a bunch of heads rolling over this. I wonder if Payton could be fired if he new about it. This could really get ugly.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:32 pm

New Mexico Mad Clowns wrote:
Wow there may be a bunch of heads rolling over this. I wonder if Payton could be fired if he new about it. This could really get ugly.

Exactly what I see happening.
Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:20 am

Shefter tweeted that the Saints will face stepper punishment than the pats did for spygate...Fines for all and the loss of some draft picks

Back to top Go down
San Diego Killers

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:47 pm

I really didn't see this coming. Its just sad although they won a championship. Williams should be ashamed

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:02 pm

This is spiraling into other franchises now too. Seems like Washington and Buffalo might end up in hot water over this as well.

Back to top Go down
St. Louis Duffers

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:35 am

I will preface this by saying I am a Saints fan. All the teams do it the Saints just got caught. If the shots that they were paid on were cheap and illegal then yes they should be suspended and fined, but if they get a bonus for a legal hit then it shouldn't matter. Think about it, players are rewarded at the college level with helmet stickers based on what they do on the field and I'm willing to bet they get more than that.

Back to top Go down
St. Louis Duffers

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:36 am

On a new note now that they used the franchise tag on Brees, which key free agents will they loose, Colston, Meachem, or Evans?

Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:53 am

St. Louis Duffers wrote:
On a new note now that they used the franchise tag on Brees, which key free agents will they loose, Colston, Meachem, or Evans?

Colston goes for sure in my mind. I think Meachem stays. Evans is a toss up.
Back to top Go down
St. Louis Duffers

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:42 pm

I can live with colston leaving but I hope they keep the other two or get a good replacement in free agency.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:50 am

St. Louis Duffers wrote:

Think you mean Nicks right?

I think Nicks is gone and Colston and the others will stay.
Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:19 am

Colston is gone....

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:12 am

This'll help...

FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reports that the Saints will work out free agent Randy Moss on Tuesday.
Profootballtalk.com reported late last week that Moss had one team visit lined up for this week. It was apparently with the Saints. New Orleans, which is in danger of losing free agents Marques Colston and Robert Meachem, also flirted with Moss last fall. Moss only wanted to play for the Patriots and sat out the season. This offseason, Moss should be available for no more than the $3 million Plaxico Burress received from the Jets in 2011.

Back to top Go down
St. Louis Duffers

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:45 am

England Dragons wrote:
This'll help...

FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reports that the Saints will work out free agent Randy Moss on Tuesday.
Profootballtalk.com reported late last week that Moss had one team visit lined up for this week. It was apparently with the Saints. New Orleans, which is in danger of losing free agents Marques Colston and Robert Meachem, also flirted with Moss last fall. Moss only wanted to play for the Patriots and sat out the season. This offseason, Moss should be available for no more than the $3 million Plaxico Burress received from the Jets in 2011.

God I hope not. I just can't believe that they will let Colston and Meachem go and waste good money and a roster space on Randy. If I were to see a Moss on my team I would hope it would be Santana. Heck I would even take Jarvis Moss over him.
Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:48 am

Brees is "livid" with franchise tag.

Quote :
New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees reportedly does not intend to sign the franchise-tag deal offered by the Saints.
WIST-AM, citing sources in the Brees camp, reported, via CBSSports.com, that the record-setting quarterback is "livid" that he received the franchise tag.
Brees and the Saints still can negotiate a long-term deal, but if one
is not reached by July 15 then Brees must either sign the franchise-tag
deal or hold out.
The franchise figure for quarterbacks in 2012
currently stands at between $16 million and $17 million, but that could
change depending on what happens with any potential Peyton Manning deal.
The
Saints' decision to use their tag on Brees adds another twist to what
has been a surprisingly contentious round of negotiations between the
team and its quarterback, who broke Dan Marino's NFL single-season
passing record two months ago and led New Orleans to its only Super Bowl
championship two years ago.
Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:39 am

Randy will fit right in with this mess. eating popcorn

Back to top Go down
St. Louis Duffers

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:15 am

Randy will fit right in with this mess. eating popcorn

If they sign him that may happen.
Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:56 pm

Goodell sees bounty case as a turning point in NFL’s culture change.

In other words... the Saints better be ready to bend over.

Quote :

“This is a seminal moment in the culture change we have to make,” a
source close to Goodell said. “This has to stop now. Every team needs to
hear the message that we’re in a different era now, where this
appalling behavior is going to end.”

The source told King that when Goodell first heard the allegations of
the Saints paying bounties, the commissioner said, “God forbid this is
true. This will be earth-shattering.”

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:33 pm

I think we are missing a link here. Saints are clealy imposiing their own punishment:

First punishment: Piss of their own QB and make him hold out
Second punishment: Make sure they lose their best WR to free agency
Third punishment: Replace #1 WR with Randy Moss

What else can Goodell do worse than that, really...?

scratch

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:35 pm

England Dragons wrote:
I think we are missing a link here. Saints are clealy imposiing their own punishment:

scratch

Yeah this off season is potentially devastating to this franchise. I don't think any other teams stands to lose anywhere near as much as the Saints do.
Back to top Go down
Hamilton Steel Cats

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:41 pm

England Dragons wrote:

scratch

"pick me hey, I know, I know .. 2 letters. Impose T.O. onto the Saints!" ... doh
Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Ha! Nice....

Lose Meachem and Colston and force them to start T.O. and Moss...

sick

Back to top Go down
Utah Spazz

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:16 pm

Lance Moore, Henderson, Arrington, Sproles, Graham. Brees will still get his in the passing game. The lose of Colston will hurt though

Back to top Go down
http://www.fakeplastictunes.com/
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:05 am

Found this comical.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:16 am

Why did the Giants guys have to get hacked up at the end?!

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:13 pm

The only part of Bountygate that I think is a big deal is the fact that it was installed, managed, and endorsed by the coaching staff. By all acounts, players do this stuff amongst themselves all the time - I don't blame Vilma or other players at all, it's a violent, brutal game, as much as Gooddell wants everyone to think otherwise.

But the fact that a COACH was offering up extra money to put guys on carts...you just cannot have that. Williams deserves whatever Gooddell gives him as punishment, as do the Saints for letting it go on in their house. I just don't think it's a big moral outrage issue, I just think it's the fact that it was promoted by the coaches is the killer.

Whatever takes attention from Spygate is fine with me lol.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:21 pm

I feel differently...because while I agree it goes on with players all the time...it is sad regardless of who runs it or participates in it. Here is a thought: considering that every NFL player is paid very well to play a kids game, why not just use that as the motivation to go out there and give it your all and not do anything intentionally to hurt another person which could affect their health in the short term or the long term.

Williams deserves to be suspended for the season.
Sean Peyton deserves to be suspended for half the season.
Vilma deserves to be suspended half the season.
The other 21-22 players deserve to be suspended 1-2 games.
The franchise should lose picks.
All parties involved deserve to be fined to the extent that they feel short of breath over it.

If that happens, this will likely never happen again since a persons livelihood will be on the line and since Roger Goodell wants to make it his legacy to improve the safety of the NFL, I feel confident he will bring these lowlife's their just punishment.

Get 'em Roger.

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:28 pm

I feel differently...because while I agree it goes on with players all the time...it is sad regardless of who runs it or participates in it. Here is a thought: considering that every NFL player is paid very well to play a kids game, why not just use that as the motivation to go out there and give it your all and not do anything intentionally to hurt another person which could affect their health in the short term or the long term.

All parties involved deserve to be fined to the extent that they feel short of breath over it.

If that happens, this will likely never happen again since a persons livelihood will be on the line and since Roger Goodell wants to make it his legacy to improve the safety of the NFL, I feel confident he will bring these lowlife's their just punishment.

Get 'em Roger.

Whether or not you feel players should be hurting ot trying to hurt other players, that will not go away with the bounty system. Hurting players on the other team, removing them from the game, is a big advantage, and that's not going away with the extra $1,500 someone on the Saints could have gotten. You can't regulate players trying to hurt players.

I still think Williams should get at least a year. I'm not clear on how much Payton knew right now so I couldn't say. I could see giving Vilma 4 games even though I personally don't think he's done much differently than a lot of players on a lot of teams, but obviously this is a message job, and one needs to be sent, and I think it will.

Year off for Williams, 4 for Vilma, something for Payton, $1,000,000, and a couple high draft picks = this will never happen again.
Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:32 pm

Get 'em Roger.

A-Fucking-Men.

Listen I love hard hits. I love big plays.

But for ANYONE to say that they pay out money for CART OFFS it disgusting. To want to go out there and bang up a guy so that he can't move under his own power is repulsive.

I'm all for going full speed, hitting hard, trying to get those turnovers on a big hit. That's what it should be though and that's what should be rewarded. Big hits giving turnovers. Not big hits that result in people getting carted off.

Football is and always will be a violent sport. That's part of why we love it. The INTENTION should never be to injure though. That's what gets me. The intent is to hurt/cripple/concuss and that just doesn't fly.
Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:39 pm

Adelaide Empire wrote:

Get 'em Roger.

Whether or not you feel players should be hurting ot trying to hurt other players, that will not go away with the bounty system. Hurting players on the other team, removing them from the game, is a big advantage, and that's not going away with the extra $1,500 someone on the Saints could have gotten. You can't regulate players trying to hurt players.

I still think Williams should get at least a year. I'm not clear on how much Payton knew right now so I couldn't say. I could see giving Vilma 4 games even though I personally don't think he's done much differently than a lot of players on a lot of teams, but obviously this is a message job, and one needs to be sent, and I think it will.

Year off for Williams, 4 for Vilma, something for Payton, $1,000,000, and a couple high draft picks = this will never happen again.

I strongly disagree with the bolded. It is about to get regulated and it is easy to see when a guy does a malicious act against another.

Payton acknowledged he knew about this and did nothing. He has to pay for it.

Vilma threw down 10k on Favre and 4 games isn't enough to stop that at all.

1M and some draft picks equates to future coaches deciding whether its worth it...fining them til they can't breath and suspending the shit out of guys takes away the possibility that more than one individual in a locker room even considers being such a tool.

If the penalty isn't severe, then you won't stop anything.
Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:41 pm

Adelaide Empire wrote:

Get 'em Roger.

I strongly disagree with the bolded. It is about to get regulated and it is easy to see when a guy does a malicious act against another.

Payton acknowledged he knew about this and did nothing. He has to pay for it.

Vilma threw down 10k on Favre and 4 games isn't enough to stop that at all.

1M and some draft picks equates to future coaches deciding whether its worth it...fining them til they can't breath and suspending the shit out of guys takes away the possibility that more than one individual in a locker room even considers being such a tool.

If the penalty isn't severe, then you won't stop anything.

I think the penalties I proposed are pretty severe - most severe in NFL history.

The point is, players try to hurt players with savage hits that are completely within the rules. This is going to continue because it is not inexorably tied to bounties, it's tied to winning. Punishing the Saints for running a bounty system has very little to do with players trying to hurt players within the rules of the game (which allow for it).
Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:03 pm

yeah, but a million bucks plus a couple draft picks isnt severe enough to make future knuckleheads shake at the thought of doing it so it needs to be more.

As for the rest, I still disagree....they have put rules in place in regards to leading with the helmet and so forth and defenseless receivers...

Not saying they have it solved yet but there is a movement towards stopping it.

I just feel guys that intentionally try to hurt someone are complete scum and should be dealt with even more severely than they are now. Lead with your helmet on a defenseless receiver should be suspended for rest of season. That may sound harsh but watch shit stop right fast as the gain by doing it (hurting an opponent or taking them out) will be offset by the removal of offending player.

That is how results are achieved.

Fining multimillionaires 1M doesn't do anything.

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:10 pm

yeah, but a million bucks plus a couple draft picks isnt severe enough to make future knuckleheads shake at the thought of doing it so it needs to be more.

As for the rest, I still disagree....they have put rules in place in regards to leading with the helmet and so forth and defenseless receivers...

I just feel guys that intentionally try to hurt someone are complete scum and should be dealt with even more severely than they are now. Lead with your helmet on a defenseless receiver should be suspended for rest of season. That may sound harsh but watch shit stop right fast as the gain by doing it (hurting an opponent or taking them out) will be offset by the removal of offending player.

Well, Greg Williams is the chief culprit here, and suspending him for a year is a big deal. He'll lose his job and lose a year of income. You can't get much more significant than that.

As for the Saints, the money is just money, but the draft picks are how you really hurt an organization.

Other than money, suspensions, and draft pick forfeiture, I don't think the NFL really can do anything else. Personally I think that bounties are going to stop immediately.

Putting in rules about leading with the helmet does nothing to regulate whether or not a player is going to intentionally try to hurt/punish a player - it just eliminates one way they can do it. Players will still try to hurt players after this, there just won't be a bounty system in place. Ex-player after ex-player will tell you that it's just part of the game, and it's very a common for a coach to mention in a defensive meeting that "We need to try and take this QB out," etc. That's not going to change.
Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:15 pm

Bringing up the topic of helmet to helmet hits...

I REALLY hated some of the flags on that last year. You see the guy going in for the tackle and the receiver bends his knees and gets low dropping his helmet right where the guy is tackling him. Not sure if I agree with suspending a player for a YEAR on a judgement call.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:22 pm

Adelaide Empire wrote:

Well, Greg Williams is the chief culprit here, and suspending him for a year is a big deal. He'll lose his job and lose a year of income. You can't get much more significant than that.

As for the Saints, the money is just money, but the draft picks are how you really hurt an organization.

Other than money, suspensions, and draft pick forfeiture, I don't think the NFL really can do anything else. Personally I think that bounties are going to stop immediately.

Putting in rules about leading with the helmet does nothing to regulate whether or not a player is going to intentionally try to hurt/punish a player - it just eliminates one way they can do it. Players will still try to hurt players after this, there just won't be a bounty system in place. Ex-player after ex-player will tell you that it's just part of the game, and it's very a common for a coach to mention in a defensive meeting that "We need to try and take this QB out," etc. That's not going to change.

Draft picks hurt the organization but in the end it also hurts the fans so there should be extremely stiff monetary fines to go with a draft pick penalty that doesn't cripple the franchise from putting together a product.

Rules on helmet to helmet or leading with the helmet surely do help. It just needs to be penalized harder. From there all they can do is continue to try to stop the other means by which guys do this. While I agree that it may never be gone there sure as hell can be efforts made and stopping coaches from saying such garbage in defensive meetings very well could be addressed since it only takes one person of character to alert the league to such a douchebag.

And while I agree it may never be 0%, even now I do not believe it is as rampant as you and some others do. Many have said the Saints merely got caught but "everyone" does it. I see a lot of class acts in the NFL so Goodell and the league should very well continue to fight it on every level they can.

To do nothing or just accept it as something that will never change only can lead to the league being overrun by a bunch a punk ass thugs who have no respect for the game.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:24 pm

Jersey Legionnaires wrote:
Bringing up the topic of helmet to helmet hits...

I REALLY hated some of the flags on that last year. You see the guy going in for the tackle and the receiver bends his knees and gets low dropping his helmet right where the guy is tackling him. Not sure if I agree with suspending a player for a YEAR on a judgement call.

Wel its not like the ref does the suspending. The league would be able to look at it 500 times in slow motion and determine if it was intentional. If it were inconclusive, then obviously you couldn't do that but some are very obviously an act of stupidity. One that could end with someone being severely hurt.
Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:27 pm

To do nothing or just accept it as something that will never change only can lead to the league being overrun by a bunch a punk ass thugs who have no respect for the game.

Nothing has been done for decades. Bounties have been going on for, literally, decades. If bounties stop right now and forever, it will be a change.

I was lstenting to WEEI yesterday, they had three or four ex-players call in, guys who are in the media now, including guys like Matt Chatham who really only ever played special teams. One guy played in the 70's, he said back then if you crushed a guy or knocked a guy out, you'd get $50 and a case of beer.

This isn't new, it's just new to the public.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for ending it as I think it's inappropriate and certainly can't be endorsed on an organizational-level - I just don't think it means that we're going to see softer NFL where fewer guys get hurt. I doubt it makes any difference on the field at all. If you hit a QB late because you want to hurt him and win a $1,500 bounty, it could easily then cost you a $50,000 fine from Gooddell; doesn't make any sense. I think the Saints tried to hurt Brett Favre because hurting Brett Favre was a great way to beat the Vikings, not for the extra frew hundred bucks.
Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:54 am

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2012/03/new_orleans_saints_are_penaliz.html

James Varney, The Times-Picayune

Quote :
The NFL has suspended New Orleans Saints Coach Sean Payton for a full year following an investigation into a bounty program the league said the Saints employed from 2009 to 2011, according to internet reports.

New Orleans general manager Mickey Loomis was also hit with an 8-game suspension, according to reports, and former defensive coordiantor Gregg Williams, now with the Rams, has been suspended indefinitely.

The punishments come against a backdrop of looming litigation. A growing number of players have filed lawsuits against the NFL and various equipment makers, alleging the parties were insufficiently diligent in making player safety a priority. Goodell has made it clear he wants player safety to be a hallmark of his time as commissioner, pushing for rules changes that protect players on the field and levying heavy fines against players for hits ruled too savage.
gregg_williams_sean_payton.jpgMichael DeMocker/The Times-PicayuneNew Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, left, and Coach Sean Payton, have been punished by the NFL.

The report Goodell and the league issued on the Saints March 2 could be seen as another important step in that campaign. In addition, there was widespread speculation the penalties imposed on New Orleans would be severe as the league looked to send a message.

Since March 2 several players came forward to say "pay for performance" systems were far from unheard of in the NFL, although all of them drew a distinction between bonuses for high-impact plays like interceptions or recovered fumbles and plays seeking to injure an opponent.

It was that latter element the NFL alleged comprised part of the Saints' operations and thus made it particularly malevolent. Although the league carefully guarded its evidence, Goodell and NFL officials claim to have sorted through some 18,000 documents, whose veracity was established by "forensic experts," and "multiple independent sources."

That investigation proved, most tellingly, that there was a lack of institutional control in New Orleans. Tuesday's penalties also fall under the "conduct detrimental" standard that gives the commissioner wide latitude.

And there it is, 1 year suspension

Back to top Go down
New Mexico Mad Clowns

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:59 am

Wow I am really surprised by this 1 year. I wonder why Lomis only 8 games I am sure he new what was going on.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:02 pm

Phew what a blow to the Saints. Didn't lose any draft picks though?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Orleans Saints   

Back to top Go down

New Orleans Saints
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Player talk-
Jump to: