Share | 

Melvin Gordon RB SDC

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:02 pm

One of the top RB prospects.

Last edited by Mohawk Ridge Marauders on Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:25 pm

This guy is ridiculous,   Right now at halftime of the game against Nebraska he has already rushed for 238 yards!    I don't know what the NCAA record is,   but his rushing ability is really impressive!   

Could he be the first RB taken in the 1st round of the NFL draft in the last several years?

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:12 pm

Wow,   5 minutes and change left in the 3rd quarter and Gordon now has 369 yards rushing!   Can he get to 500?!

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:24 pm

So the single game rushing record in the NCAA is 406 yds by Ladanian Tomlinson.    Gordon currently has 382 yds at the end of the 3rd quarter.   24 yds to go with the whole 4th quarter left,   I think this record may fall today!

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:27 pm

Holy shit!   He just broke off a 26 yd TD run to break the record on the last play of the 3rd quarter!!!   408 yds rushing with 4TD  and a whole quarter still to play!   What a damn game!  Wow!

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:55 pm

Well,   it looks as though they are going to sit him down in the 4th quarter,   I get it,  but its too bad,   no doubt in my mind that he probably could have eclipsed 500 yards to day with the way the line was blocking and he was running!

I know Toddy Gurley is probably the consensus #1 RB for most,   but I have always leaned a little more toward Gordon,    today's game just cemented him as my #1 RB,   possible #1 overall player for the 2015 rookie drafts...

Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:37 pm

Wisconsin always puts out good running backs. I watch then come and go constantly but they usually don't translate into good pro RB's. I think part of the problem is that Wisconsin traditionally has one of best offensive lines every year and the holes are ridiculous. The best ones in recent history have been Brian Calhoun and Michael Bennett. That being said, Gordon is really good and is not going to last long on the draft board. I know he's high on my draft board

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:29 pm

Never heard of this guy.  Never heard of Todd Gurley either.  Actually, now that I think of it, I don't think I can name 1 college football player.  Shit, that's weird.  Hold on, let me think for a second....

...10 seconds later...

...20 seconds later...

...nope.  Can't think of one, single, solitary college football player.  I'm actually kinda proud of that.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:32 pm

Muskego Muskies wrote:
Wisconsin always puts out good running backs. I watch then come and go constantly but they usually don't translate into good pro RB's. I think part of the problem is that Wisconsin traditionally has one of best offensive lines every year and the holes are ridiculous. The best ones in recent history have been Brian Calhoun and Michael Bennett. That being said, Gordon is really good and is not going to last long on the draft board. I know he's high on my draft board

Believe me,   I am well aware of the history of Wisconsin RB's,    but there is definitely something different about Gordon than most of the recent Wisconsin RBs that I have scouted,  including Montee Ball who I never thought was that great from a skill set point of view.   Gordon has good size,  great speed,   great balance,  power and vision...  he is an NFL ready runner,   and he is improving his hands and pass blocking which are key to getting on the field early in todays NFL.   Watching a players "highlight video"  is worthless when scouting,    I don't want to see an 80 run when the guy went through a gigantic hole and was untouched,   I like to watch the game videos where you see the bad plays along with the good,   it is more telling of overall talent to see what happens when there isn't a huge hole or there was a missed blocking assignment...   from what I have seen from Gordon,  he passes that eye test with flying colors for me...

Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:49 am

Devils Tower Outlaws wrote:
Muskego Muskies wrote:

Believe me,   I am well aware of the history of Wisconsin RB's,    but there is definitely something different about Gordon than most of the recent Wisconsin RBs that I have scouted,  including Montee Ball who I never thought was that great from a skill set point of view.   Gordon has good size,  great speed,   great balance,  power and vision...  he is an NFL ready runner,   and he is improving his hands and pass blocking which are key to getting on the field early in todays NFL.   Watching a players "highlight video"  is worthless when scouting,    I don't want to see an 80 run when the guy went through a gigantic hole and was untouched,   I like to watch the game videos where you see the bad plays along with the good,   it is more telling of overall talent to see what happens when there isn't a huge hole or there was a missed blocking assignment...   from what I have seen from Gordon,  he passes that eye test with flying colors for me...

I hope you're right, I'd love to see him do well. I just hope he doesn't get drafted by the Jets, Jags, Tampa or Raiders

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:01 am

Muskego Muskies wrote:
Muskego Muskies wrote:

I hope you're right, I'd love to see him do well. I just hope he doesn't get drafted by the Jets, Jags, Tampa or Raiders

Landing spot is always a concern,   but I think if he went to the Raiders or Jags he would instantly be the #1 starter so those spots aren't the worst.   I would hate to see a potential time share with the Jets or Bucs though...   Landing spot for rookies is always a wild card,   but I tend to weight my talent evaluation more heavily and Gordon is at the top of my RB list right now...

Back to top Go down
Cybertron Screamers

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:36 pm

i live in nebraska but not a nebraksa fan and i think its hilarious that the famous "blackshirts" defense gives up the ncaa rushing record lol. guys at work will be grumpy monday and i will walk in all cheery and shit hahaha

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:00 pm

Quote :
Gordon ran a 4.52 40, which clocked him in with the fifth best time among all running backs. That wasn't what was impressive, though it is certainly a pretty good time considering the rest of the field.

Where Gordon really stood out was in the on-field drills. He displayed crisp footwork when running through the bags, the ability to plant, cut and change direction quickly through the cones; and he really looked comfortable as a pass-catcher. He caught 19 passes for 153 yards and 3 touchdowns in 2014; and he proved at the combine today that he can be a dual-threat back in that regard. At least by my count he didn't drop a single pass that was thrown his way, and he just looked natural out on the field in open space as a receiver.

There have been a lot of comparisons made to Kansas City's Jamaal Charles regarding Gordon, and he showed us today that those can be accurate. He's incredibly fast, agile and can also be a weapon as a receiver.

Gordon had a great day today, and he may have given NFL teams a lot to think about when deciding between him and Gurley as the top back in this class.

With Gurley's injury Gordon is the #1 guy in my book. Looked really good today.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:06 am

I like Gordon alot, and I do think Dan makes a good point about Wisc RBs not having the same success in the NFL as college. I understand it is time for one to break the mold and Gordon has my vote to do it.

Wisc usually has a strong O-line so that helps.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:47 am

I spent some time watching some film on Gordon yesterday and more than half his runs he was running through holes the size of the grand canyon.

BUT

That other half of the time he showed some absolutely amazing vision. He has patience but isn't afraid to take a lane the second it opens. He might not have crazy speed but he is fast and his footwork will make a ton of defenders miss.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:34 pm

Really nice analysis of this future stud.

http://nflbreakdowns.com/scouting-melvin-gordon/

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:46 pm

Yeah, I know lots of smart people like Gurley more, but for me there is something about Gordon that just pushes him to the top of my list, its kind of like 1a to 1b but I still prefer Gordon, even before the injury to Gurley...

Sure, Gordon had a very good OL and that is a factor, but I thought that article did a pretty good job of showing his abilities when he didn't have a gaping hole to run through... He has more than enough agility, speed and power to be a successful RB in the NFL...

Back to top Go down
Winsted Psychos

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:52 pm

Gordon is the guy I like the Vikings to take if they trade away AP....

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:48 pm

YES! CHARGERS!

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:49 pm

Very good spot for him. This draft is working out great for FF values.

Back to top Go down
Winsted Psychos

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Fri May 01, 2015 4:28 pm

Gordon landed in the best spot so far for the RB class.....  Great pick for SD

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:53 pm

I love MG3 in San Diego. Where do you think he should be drafted in a STARTUP Dynasty draft? This is PPR.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:18 pm

Tough. Trent was the next AP. Very hard to pass up on a proven commodity for a rookie, as high as I am on Gordon.

Definately not in the first round. He'd probably go in the 2nd. I'd consider him in the 3rd.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:21 pm

Mohawk Ridge Marauders wrote:
Tough.  Trent was the next AP.  Very hard to pass up on a proven commodity for a rookie, as high as I am on Gordon.  

Definately not in the first round.  He'd probably go in the 2nd.  I'd consider him in the 3rd.

Yeah, I would never touch him in the 1st round of dynasty, but through various trades in my buddies leagues I have a few picks in the top 2 rounds, so he could be an option near the end of the 2nd. I just wish I knew how much Woodhead will take away from him in the passing game.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:21 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
I love MG3 in San Diego. Where do you think he should be drafted in a STARTUP Dynasty draft? This is PPR.

His ADP in redraft leagues right now is about #34 which puts him toward the tail end of the 3rd round... In a startup dynasty league I would think you would probably have to start considering him near the top of the 2nd and no later than mid 2nd... He is going to typically go much sooner in a dynasty league than redraft. Hell, in a new startup league I would take Gordon over AP without hesitation... Depends on how WR crazy things go in the first round, but I would start looking for him to go starting in round 2.

Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:33 pm

Agree with Chris...8th RB off the board/Dynasty. Wont' last too far into the second. If you are really high on him, best grab him early.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:00 pm

Guys I'd take over Gordon, in no particular order...

1. Lacy
2. Bell
3. Julio
4. Green
5. Dez
6. Beckham
7. Gronk
8. Graham
9. Hill
10. Evans
11. Calvin
12. Demaryius
13. Lynch
14. Hill
15. Gurley
16. LeSean
17. Jeffery
18. Hopkins
19. Benjamin
20. Cooks
21. Antonio Brown

Once those guys are gone I start thinking Gordon. There's still DeMarco, Forte, Peterson, Charles, Jordy Nelson, Hilton, Sanders, Mathews, Kelce, and others that people would still have ranked pretty high.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:04 pm

Lynch? In a startup dynasty? Dude has 1, MAYBE two years left....

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:16 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:

He just turned 29. He is in his twilight years as a RB.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:24 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:

He just turned 29.  He is in his twilight years as a RB.  

Exactly, why would you spend a top 2 round pick on a guy that won't be around in 12 months? At most 2 years? I am of the thought that you have to draft established guys that are young early on, and guys like this can be other guys problems. It will look good on your roster the day the draft ends, but in dynasty he's an old egg and should not be touched in a startup until after the 4th. Just my opinion of course.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:35 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Titletown Tyrants wrote:

He just turned 29.  He is in his twilight years as a RB.  

Exactly, why would you spend a top 2 round pick on a guy that won't be around in 12 months? At most 2 years? I am of the thought that you have to draft established guys that are young early on, and guys like this can be other guys problems. It will look good on your roster the day the draft ends, but in dynasty he's an old egg and should not be touched in a startup until after the 4th. Just my opinion of course.

He'll go before the 4th but I hear what you're saying. I also think he'll be around another 3-4 personally but we'll see.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:46 pm

Could be. It is just an interesting year to have a startup dynasty draft with all the RB's having really old balls.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:48 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Could be. It is just an interesting year to have a startup dynasty draft with all the RB's having really old balls.

For what it's worth I own Gordon in RW's and wouldn't trade him for Lynch. There were actually a couple of people on that list I wouldn't trade him for but RW's is a different animal and I'm trying to think of how others would probably value players as well.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:50 pm

Yeah, I actually rate him just under Lacy, Bell, Jamaal, and Hill and I am not so sure if I value him over Hill or not. I just have really high expectations for him.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:52 pm

For me, personally I would take:

Bell
Lacy
Gurley

Over him in Roster Wars. Startup is scarier, for me, in that I wouldn't feel comfortable taking so much of a chance. In Roster Wars I can afford to say no to guys like Charles or the like since I have Forte, Ameer, and Gurley to fall back on.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:58 pm

Bell
Lacy
Gurley

Over him in Roster Wars.  Startup is scarier, for me, in that I wouldn't feel comfortable taking so much of a chance.  In Roster Wars I can afford to say no to guys like Charles or the like since I have Forte, Ameer, and Gurley to fall back on.  

Agree for the most part. Gurley just scares me. I know he is highly touted, and ranked, but MG3 is just in such a better situation in my opinion. And I think he is more versatile. Of course both are good options, I am just with the minority in liking Gordon better.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:00 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:

Bell
Lacy
Gurley

Over him in Roster Wars.  Startup is scarier, for me, in that I wouldn't feel comfortable taking so much of a chance.  In Roster Wars I can afford to say no to guys like Charles or the like since I have Forte, Ameer, and Gurley to fall back on.  

Agree for the most part. Gurley just scares me. I know he is highly touted, and ranked, but MG3 is just in such a better situation in my opinion. And I think he is more versatile. Of course both are good options, I am just with the minority in liking Gordon better.

Again when we're talking raw potential, and I'm a gambler, I gotta go Gurley. St. Louis is obviously volatile AND in a tough division but I think that'll have them lean on the running game all the more. Luckily San Francisco imploaded so yeah.

I typically stay away from guys that are injury risks but Gurley is just too tasty a prize.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:09 pm

I am in that minority that values MG3 over Gurley as well... As a matter of fact, Gordon was my #1 ranked rookie overall for 2015. I was beyond stoked to get him here in RW with the 1.05 pick!

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:57 pm

O-line not giving Gordon any space. 6 carries for 11 yards. We will need to wait for another day to see what he's got.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:09 am

Not a great stat line from his first preseason game... Would have loved to see him pop one, but it wasn't to be. Its the first preseason game, no cause for concern at all...

Back to top Go down
Oaktown Malosos

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:03 am

Yeah..."O" line looked confused/sloppy. He really didn't have much chance to show case tonight...He'll get his!!

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:16 am

Chargers first string OL is a work in progress for sure, they have a new C, guys hurt and others changing positions... hope they get it all worked out...

Back to top Go down
Winsted Psychos

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:15 pm

Gordon will be just fine. You can't really determine how good someone may be after just one game.

Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:12 pm

Winsted Psychos wrote:
Gordon will be just fine.  You can't really determine how good someone may be after just one game.

Wow thanks! I am sure we all feel much better about him now that Psychos added his two cents! phew was worried! sweat

Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:05 am

I am in that minority that values MG3 over Gurley as well...   As a matter of fact,   Gordon was my #1 ranked rookie overall for 2015.    I was beyond stoked to get him here in RW with the 1.05 pick!  

Man this Gordon guy sure fooled me so far! I should have picked him to go along with the rest of my garbage RB's that fumble too much and have no vision! Instead I am stuck with a guy that steals crab-legs and scores an average of 15-20 points a week.

Back to top Go down
Kirksville Growlers

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:02 pm

Gordon has been very disappointing so far. I thought San Diego was a great spot to land but he has shown nothing. Glad he was injured and a game time decision last week so I had him pulled from lineups.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:34 pm

Can't always just take things at face value... When you really look into it, SD's offensive line is in shambles from injuries, they weren't one of the best units when healthy but they are just a wreck right now. To make matters worse, they don't really run any sets with a FB to help block, and their TE's are basically receivers, not really the best blockers either... There are way too many situations where there is penetration and initial contact in the backfield, its difficult to get in a groove with the run game so SD has basically abandoned it, Rivers is throwing 50+ passes a game right now! The fumbling issue is completely on him though, he needs to get that cleaned up.

Back to top Go down
Winsted Psychos

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:43 am

This year is a bust for Gordon for sure. He may start to find his game toward the end of the year but he's not going to do much until the O line can open some fuckin holes.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:53 am

Agree with that, it is unlikely that SD gets their OL back in order this season and they aren't going to be able to run it with anybody on a consistent basis.

I am genuinely disturbed by his fumbles though, I am hoping it has just been bad luck because he wasn't a fumbler in college... but if he can't hold on to the ball he could dig himself a big hole (a la David Wilson) that he can't climb back out of...

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:50 pm

I was never high on him but I'm not ready to call him a bust yet.  I think that we got spoiled by the rookies last year.  It usually takes a while for the rookies to shine and not all will be studs.  

But looking back at the class, there are probably only 2 guys taken in the first two rounds that have made their owners happy -- Gurley and Cooper.  Yeldon, Duke and David Johnson, and Jones from Washington have had moments but, overall, this has been a "disappointing" class, at least when compared to last year.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Melvin Gordon RB SDC   

Back to top Go down

Melvin Gordon RB SDC
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Player talk-
Jump to: