HomeLog inRegisterFAQSearch

Share | 

Tim Wright TE DET

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Tim Wright TE DET   Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:17 pm

Tampa trades Wright to the Patriots!  Whoo!

Last edited by Mohawk Ridge Marauders on Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:39 pm

Yeah... He'll probably be alright if playing a similar role to the Serial Killer. He has similar skill sets - on the field, not the killing people part. Well, at least I hope he doesn't.

Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:56 pm

Yup, some days you get up and it becomes a really good day.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:28 pm

Everyone always tries to put every player into a "Welker-role", "Hernandez-role" or a "Gronk-role" when it comes to NE. The truth is they don't exist.

I see Tim Wright having a Tim Wright role which ultimately I think isn't worth dick in fantasy. Sell high if you own him.

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:22 pm

good post

I'm not sure I 100% agree but for once I can see Andy's angle

Back to top Go down
Vegas Beach Tiger Sharks

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:53 pm

Andy's view makes a ton of sense here. Calling it "the Hernandez role" makes it seem as though the Pats are rigid and unable to adapt, like they floundered without someone to fill the Hernandez role. Shit, they lost Gronk again, had an injured/useless Amendola, and had clueless rookies elsewhere, making Julian Edelman look like Randall Cobb for crying out loud.

And when shit went totally haywire, they said, "Boom, no biggie, we'll just turn into a power running team. Hey Blount, go run for like 350 yards in the next 2 critical weeks m'kay?" They made it to the AFC Championship game and had an awful showing there, but it's misguided for anyone to act like they're still trying to fill the "Hernandez role".

With that said, it does make sense to draw the comparison; it's not that I don't see that. Both players are move TEs with no blocking skill to speak of, and both are closer to big WRs than traditional TEs. So it makes sense, but I agree that Tim Wright will play the Tim Wright role. There may be some similarities within that role to the sort of things they used to look for from Hernandez, but it'll just be a new spin on the move TE role for them. In the end, it sounds like I'm arguing semantics, but it's more that I'm arguing that McDaniels will adapt the offense to suit Wright's skills, not attempt to clone his skillset into a dusty playbook once run by Aaron Hernandez.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:16 pm

Sure folks can draw a comparison but I think most times we are well past that point. I don't think for a second that NFL coaches sit around thinking retarded shit like "I am gonna put Player-J into Player-D's (guy we had in the past) role" as opposed to "I am going to use Player-J the best way I can"

This is just one reason listening to some podcasts (cough FBG cough) is brutal at times because it's constantly about current players filling past players roles as if nothing ever changes. It's obnoxious as fuck if you ask me.

Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:28 pm

I agree with Andy, I really do. I hate that shit.

That being said, I am not heartbroken at all that he ended up there. Wright is a decent TE in his own right. (wow)

Ended up #15 at TE and that's with week 1: 0.00; week 2:0.00 week 3: 2.20

Oh and, he was the #1 TE in Total Points. Reed was better in PPG, but, Wright was still ahead of Ertz and Eifert. Not bad company.

Now.....he has Brady................

I can live with him in a Tim Wright role.

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:49 pm

I'm not going to pretend that I've watched Tim Wright. I agree that penciling him in for a "Hernandez role" is lazy, and stupid. It's correct to say that they are similar in that they are receiving tight ends, but Wright's build looks like a big wide receiver playing tight end. Hernandez was a little shorter and significantly thicker I think (had 25lbs on Wright). But the point is he was a very good player, so a "role" was created for him, tailored to his strengths. If Wright is good enough, maybe he'll carve out a role long-term, but I don't expect a sudden shift back to 12 personnel like 8 days before the season starts.

I'm glad they have some better depth, the players behind Gronkowski before this trade were extremely limited, probably the worst tight end depth group in the league.

I noticed Mankins getting beat at some points last year, usually when it's a sack because that's the highest profile play, but I'm not going to sit here, like some already are on the Boston radio and some messageboards, talking about how Mankins is "done." Find me an article that said he was done 24 hours ago, I bet you can't. He is past his prime, but is still a very good guard. He just happens to have an extremely expensive contract (for a guard).

This reminded me of how it felt when they got rid of Seymour. That was different in that they got a 1st round pick so I was happier about what they got in that trade, but it was still a shock to see a long-term figure like Seymour go. Mankins is the core of that OL, is a tone-setter on the field, and a leader in the locker room. But, he was getting paid X, and Belchick thought he was worth X-Y, and we've seen over and over how that plays out. At least this time he got something back, it's not a Lawyer Milloy type thing where he's just cut.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:39 am

As a TE, Wright is woeful, can't block for shit... In a pure receiving role (like the Bucs used him last year), he is pretty decent. If the Pats use him purely as a receiver, which is likely, he all of the sudden has fantasy value again... he is back from the dead!

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:41 am

Devils Tower Outlaws wrote:
As a TE,  Wright is woeful,  can't block for shit...   In a pure receiving role (like the Bucs used him last year),  he is pretty decent.   If the Pats use him purely as a receiver,  which is likely,  he all of the sudden has fantasy value again...   he is back from the dead!

Interesting. If he's not going to do anything other than receive, I'm not sure how much he'll get on the field, barring injury.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:03 am

He is a terrible blocker, brings zero value to the running game... I think the Patriots are smart enough to know this... I would assume they are bringing him in for his receiving talent, it is his only redeeming quality...

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:46 am

Devils Tower Outlaws wrote:
He is a terrible blocker,   brings zero value to the running game...   I think the Patriots are smart enough to know this...    I would assume they are bringing him in for his receiving talent,  it is his only redeeming quality...

Yes, I'm sure they are aware that he's a receiving TE. That doesn't mean he's good enough to get on the field. The depth behind Gronkowski at TE was probably the worst in the league.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:22 am

Fair enough, but then I would be confused as to why they would give up a solid OL (Mankins) for a guy they don't intend on using. There are free agents to sign if it was simply a matter of depth behind Gronk.

Back to top Go down
Las Vegas DeGenerates

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:41 pm

I think New England was happy with getting Wright, but also the late round draft pick for Mankins.  Mankins was overpaid in their eyes and needed to go.

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:49 pm

mankins contract was also going to be up (i think after this year) and they werent planing on bringing him back so getting a player and a pick now vs nothing later was good for them

Back to top Go down
Las Vegas DeGenerates

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:53 pm

Sucked though... Cut his ass in one of my leagues a couple days ago... Then this shit happens.  While I still think Wright is going to be a bye-week filler at best, I wish I would have waited so I could trade his ass now lol

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:03 pm

Las Vegas DeGenerates wrote:
Sucked though... Cut his ass in one of my leagues a couple days ago... Then this shit happens.  While I still think Wright is going to be a bye-week filler at best, I wish I would have waited so I could trade his ass now lol

me too

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:16 pm

Just saw someone trade Wright + 2015 2nd (high) for Mike Wallace. I'd take Wright and the 2nd.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:01 pm

Mohawk Ridge Marauders wrote:
Just saw someone trade Wright + 2015 2nd (high) for Mike Wallace.  I'd take Wright and the 2nd.

At this point I might take just a 2nd rounder for Wallace, adding Wright would just be a bonus, although not a very big one...

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:14 am

Patriots waived TE Tim Wright.
A former wide receiver at Rutgers, Wright flashed NFL-caliber "move" tight end ability when he posted 54-571-5 for the Bucs in 2013. The Patriots gave up stud guard Logan Mankins to acquire him a year ago, but he was often an innocent bystander late in the year (10 snaps in three playoff games).

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:21 am

It's not often that you see Bill swing and miss quite that badly.

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:22 pm

Mohawk Ridge Marauders wrote:
It's not often that you see Bill swing and miss quite that badly.

1) He didn't swing and miss. The point of the trade was to get Mankins gone for cap reasons. The trade wasn't "for" Tim Wright IMO.

2) If you want to see him swing and miss that badly, refer to pretty much every 2nd round pick he's ever made other than like Deion Branch and Shane Vereen. Mad

Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:16 pm

I don't know what the going rate is for Wright but I wouldn't mind it if the Packers gave him a chance. Richards Rogers has shown some flashes but we're not very deep at TE.

Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:42 pm

back to Tampa...

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:58 pm

Traded to the Lions.

Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:41 am

He's worth a flier. really not sure if Ebron will make that big "leap" this year, Fauria is gone. Pettigrew is a perennial WTF.

Wright has shown flashes many times. I'm hoping this is the right spot for him. Even then, it's a 1 year WTH for a potential TE2.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:47 am

Decatur Freakshow wrote:
He's worth a flier. really not sure if Ebron will make that big "leap" this year, Fauria is gone. Pettigrew is a perennial WTF.

Wright has shown flashes many times. I'm hoping this is the right spot for him. Even then, it's a 1 year WTH for a potential TE2.

Will Ebron ever really make the leap? I know TE's always take a little longer to break out, but he just didn't look the part. As an owner of Ebron, I hope he wakes up, but only time will tell I guess. Then bringing in another pass catching TE sure doesn't help though.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tim Wright TE DET   

Back to top Go down

Tim Wright TE DET
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Player talk-
Jump to: