Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Thu May 08, 2014 10:27 pm

I SAID WR's

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Thu May 08, 2014 10:30 pm

Kane County Goon Squad wrote:
I SAID WR's

I know but he'll get some attention too.

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Thu May 08, 2014 10:32 pm

true but I did say WR's

Last edited by Kane County Goon Squad on Thu May 08, 2014 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Thu May 08, 2014 10:50 pm

Love his landing spot.  He will be a red zone beast.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Thu May 08, 2014 11:24 pm

Considering they passed on M. Lee to make this pick, makes it a terrible pick IMO! Plus I am not that high on Benjamin, hes tall, sure, but he just isn't that great...

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:54 am

Quote :
David Newton, the Panthers beat writer for ESPN.com, says wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin was the star of Carolina's training camp.
Analysis: Benjamin, a 6-foot-5, 240-pound behemoth, had a 29-yard touchdown in the preseason opener and hes made a few eye-opening catches during camp. The first-round pick will fill the teams No. 1 receiver spot immediately and he has a lot of upside at his ninth-round ADP.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:04 pm

Mohawk Ridge Marauders wrote:
Quote :
David Newton, the Panthers beat writer for ESPN.com, says wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin was the star of Carolina's training camp.
Analysis: Benjamin, a 6-foot-5, 240-pound behemoth, had a 29-yard touchdown in the preseason opener and hes made a few eye-opening catches during camp. The first-round pick will fill the teams No. 1 receiver spot immediately and he has a lot of upside at his ninth-round ADP.

I think many people drastically overvalue the opinions of beat writers. Always see folks on message boards looking for local reports...I want the opposite...I want the opinion of an objective source with knowledge greater than my own...not some dink who stares at one team all the time.  shrug 

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:39 pm

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Quote :

I think many people drastically overvalue the opinions of beat writers.  Always see folks on message boards looking for local reports...I want the opposite...I want the opinion of an objective source with knowledge greater than my own...not some dink who stares at one team all the time.   shrug 

I feel the opposite.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:28 pm

Adelaide Empire wrote:
Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Quote :

I think many people drastically overvalue the opinions of beat writers.  Always see folks on message boards looking for local reports...I want the opposite...I want the opinion of an objective source with knowledge greater than my own...not some dink who stares at one team all the time.   shrug 

I feel the opposite.

how come?
It definitely feels like a "can't see the forest from the trees" scenario...seen so many beat writers reports that were either "no shit sherlock" or some complete hail-mary nonsensical shit that could only trip up a novice fantasy owner who puts stock into everything/anything they read. Beat writers are the first to buy into and report blatant coach speak without calling it out as coach speak if you ask me.

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:27 pm

I absorb a lot of the Boston guys, and that's just not my experience. There are exceptions, but for the most part, these guys are professional journalists who are concerned about credibility. I don't read/hear (I listen to podcasts as well) really much coach speak at all. Actually the main guys I listen to, the Patriots Football Weekly guys, make fun of the fact that Belichick tells them shit and lies right to their face most of the time. These are the guys that go to all the practices (that media can anyway) and can break down the six guys that the Patriots are currently shuffling at first-team reps at safety (it's a really odd situation). They're telling me that Josh Boyce is having a shitty camp and is in jeopardy of not making the roster (which is awesome since I've stashed him in like four leagues). They make fun of the national guys who go for the easy "Ryan Mallet is getting showcased!" headline when everyone in the NE area knows that he's been incredibly mediocre his whole time here.

There are positives - Revis has looked awesome in camp, Edelman looks like Brady's favorite target, and Amendola has looked good to (which he pretty much always does when he's on the field). They're telling me about the different 3-4 lineups the Patriots are experimenting with, putting Collins on the inside some and letting Hightower do more pass rushing than he has before.

Garropolo (still don't know how to spell his name) has looked very pedestrian, but had a good first pre-season game.

These are just random things, but the point is, national guys aren't writing about most of them because they're not there. They're writing the Ryan Mallet headlines.

That said, of course, there are shitty writers as well, just like any profession. I've never been impressed with Mike Reiss, and he's well-known as a guy that the Patriots feed headlines too (had all these "scoops" during the Welker thing blaming the whole thing on Welker's agent, etc.). He works for ESPN now covering the Patriots. He's good at counting snap counts but I don't find him particularly football savvy.

Ben Volin came in this year to replace Ian Rappaport I think it was (probably was last year, actually) who got a job with the NFL. He sucks. He wrote some fluff piece earlier in the off-season about how Gronkowski was "showing burst and making cuts," and several other writers basically said he was making it up as Gronk had barely done anything at all at the practice Volin was talking about.

Ron Borgis is another writer, he's hated Belichick ever since he came to town because of the lack of access Belichick gives to the media, so you have to take any criticism he writes with a huge grain of salt, but he does know his football. Michael Felger is often referred to as the mini-Borgis and likes to be overly critical of the Patriots, especially now that he has a talk show as it's good sports radio fodder. But again, he knows his stuff.

So I don't know. I don't think beat writers are any more/less legitimate than national writers, so all else being equal, I'll take the guy that are around the team every day, until such time that I identify them as a shitty writer/reporter.

This does not apply for former players who have gone into the media who I think, almost without exception, are useless both on a national and local scale.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:21 pm

Adelaide Empire wrote:

So I don't know. I don't think beat writers are any more/less legitimate than national writers, so all else being equal, I'll take the guy that are around the team every day, until such time that I identify them as a shitty writer/reporter.

This does not apply for former players who have gone into the media who I think, almost without exception, are useless both on a national and local scale.

I will take that as agreement with me then...just because some asshole is around the team doesn't mean dick. A good writer/reporter is what we want. Obviously a good writer/reporter that is around a team will have more information than a good writer/reporter who is not around a team...

...but the game of roulette a fantasy owner plays when listening to beat writers has higher stakes since the information could be better but the level of sorry-ass bullshit could be equally as high...

...which leaves me still WANTING my opponents to listen to beat writers.

I rest my case your honor.  lol3 

Back to top Go down
Vegas Beach Tiger Sharks

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:29 pm

I agree with Mike. Boston might be unlike some markets in the scrutiny even the reporters will face, whereas some markets will gladly gulp down a fluff piece and look for another glass of Kool-Aid the next day.

Good point about Reiss by the way. I went over to Gillette Stadium for a meeting once and was surprised to find out that ESPN Boston's offices are IN Gillette Stadium. That immediately seemed whacked to me, like good luck maintaining the appearance of objective journalism when you literally live in the team's stadium. Not that ESPN has ever been accused of not sucking everyone's dick they have broadcast rights to anyway, so it's not really news.

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:34 pm

Vegas Beach Tiger Sharks wrote:

Good point about Reiss by the way. I went over to Gillette Stadium for a meeting once and was surprised to find out that ESPN Boston's offices are IN Gillette Stadium. That immediately seemed whacked to me, like good luck maintaining the appearance of objective journalism when you literally live in the team's stadium. Not that ESPN has ever been accused of not sucking everyone's dick they have broadcast rights to anyway, so it's not really news.

It's funny because the most objective guys I see are the Patriots Football Weekly guys - and they literally work for the team. The only thing they don't do is crap on Bob Kraft, which isn't really something that there's often cause for anyway. But Belichick, players, Brady, everyone else is fair game, critical, positive, etc. They're also the most football savvy guys out there, and really funny on the podcast.

I think the conflict of interest for a guy like Reiss is that he needs information leaks from his sources, and his sources are on the team, so he ends up working for them in practice if not in name.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:50 pm

Quote :
Kelvin Benjamin caught 2-of-4 targets for 41 yards in the Panthers' second preseason game Sunday night.
Benjamin's first target came deep down the left sideline. He seemed to mistime his route and was badly overthrown by Cam Newton. As JJ Zachariason (@LateRoundQB) noted on Twitter, Benjamin's ADP probably jumps two rounds if he and Cam connect on that play, so we're happy they didn't. Newton later found Benjamin streaking over the middle on a crosser for a gain of 24. Benjamin is currently being selected in the middle of the ninth round in drafts.

I must admit, Benjamin is looking better than I thought he would in the WR1 role thus far. I had some issues with his route running while scouting him, but he is getting separation and getting open on a regular basis so far.

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:42 pm

This guy is changing my mind as well. He is looking up and up!

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:49 pm

thumbsup 

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:24 am

Quote :
Adam Beasley and Jeff Zell are on this story. It appears it was a non contact injury suffered as he made a cut running a route. Jeff Zell has this video up:

https://twitter.com/Jeff_Zell/status/633999307935477760

There should be much more info coming soon but this could be serious. The non contact on a cut injury is always scary.

We've had Benjamin around our #15 WR before this. Clearly, if you're drafting today, get clarity on this before selecting Benjamin. This of course would also be a downtick for QB Cam Newton.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:49 am

son. of. a. bitch.

injuries kick me in the balls every single year.

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:59 am

He was my #1 WR in the Training Camp league.

Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:07 am

Well this sucks!  He was my main WR this year.......Oh well my offense is going to really suck this year  cry2

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:42 am

Well crap, that video certainly doesn't look promising... I would be shocked if that isn't the ACL...

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:45 am

Word is that it's a sprain. I call bull shit. He's done.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:02 am

There's three degrees of sprained ligaments:
1st degree- strain, no tear
2nd degree- partial tear
3rd degree- full tear

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:25 pm

I think its at least a partial tear, but he went down exactly the same way that almost every other serious ACL tear I have ever seen went down...

Later in the same practice, Funchess tweaked a hamstring... bad day for Panthers WRs...

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:36 pm

just heard torn ACL- out for season

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:37 pm

Well boy, that was the easiest bet I've ever won since I bet that Winston would be drafted over Mariota.

Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:02 pm

Philadelphia Pigskins wrote:
just heard torn ACL- out for season

SON OF A BITCH!!!  I now officially have the worst go up of WRs in Roster Wars  doh

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:05 pm

Kingdom City Growlers 2 wrote:
He was my #1 WR in the Training Camp league.

Hanging my head down......and shaking it.

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:56 pm

Now everyone doesn't get to see he's actually mediocre and I'm a genius for getting rid of him... shrug

Back to top Go down
Naperville Divine

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:50 pm

That is a big kick in the nuts to Benjamin owners.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:30 pm

FUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!

Atlanta Africans wrote:
Now everyone doesn't get to see he's actually mediocre and I'm a genius for getting rid of him... shrug

Exactly! I hate when injuries and horseshit hide the truth.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:22 am

You could just tell it was an ACL from the way he fell, and his reaction. Seen it 1000 times, and they sugar coated it right away.... Come on.

I don't own Benji in any league, so it doesn't affect me but man I feel bad for the guys who do own him. He had promise. Wait until next year I guess, maybe he will skip the sophomore slump......

Back to top Go down
Winsted Psychos

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:38 pm

I wasn't a big fan.. He had a great rookie campain but I think he was going to have a sophomore decline... Now we'll never know....

Back to top Go down
Indiana Mayhem

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:39 am

He'sssssssssss Back!

Maybe.

The Charlotte Observer's Joseph Person reports Kelvin Benjamin (ACL) should be a "full-go" for training camp.
Benjamin will participate on a limited basis during the offseason program, but the Panthers are unlikely to push their No. 1 receiver. Benjamin's rehab has reportedly gone well, and he will be almost a year removed from tearing his ACL once training camp begins. With Cam Newton playing better than ever, Benjamin could be in line for a career year.

Source: Charlotte Observer
Mar 1 - 8:29 AM

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:01 am

Here's hoping he's spent a whole year learning how to catch footballs.

raise eyebrow

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:15 am

England Dragons wrote:
Here's hoping he's spent a whole year learning how to catch footballs.

raise eyebrow

Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:29 am

The dude catches everything I can see. Not sure where all this dislike for him comes from? All I know is he is my favorite young WR, and he will prove the doubters wrong

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:37 am

Thanks for the video clips Shawn -- I haven't really paid much attention to his receiving skills, focusing more on his size.  I'm excited to finally get him back on my squads this year.  After watching what Ginn and others did there I'm expecting a yuuuuuuuuge year from Kelvin this year.

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:37 am

Littleton SilverBallers wrote:
The dude catches everything I can see.  Not sure where all this dislike for him comes from?  All I know is he is my favorite young WR, and he will prove the doubters wrong

He caught 73 passes on 145 targets his rookie year. That's only a 50% catch rate- much less than catching everything. I like Benjamin too, but if he isn't more efficient, It will be hard for him to continue to put up numbers without a huge number of targets

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:15 am

If you look at his numbers, though, he was closer to 57% the first half of the year.  I didn't watch enough of their games to know what happened.  Although I do remember being extremely frustrated with Cam in 2014.  He scored well but a lot of his points came in the last few minutes of games.

In looking at catch rates, I was surprised to see VJax and Watkins with numbers close to Kelvin, but that's probably due to QB more than anything else.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:17 am

Philadelphia Pigskins wrote:
Littleton SilverBallers wrote:
The dude catches everything I can see.  Not sure where all this dislike for him comes from?  All I know is he is my favorite young WR, and he will prove the doubters wrong

He caught 73 passes on 145 targets his rookie year. That's only a 50% catch rate- much less than catching everything. I like Benjamin too, but if he isn't more efficient, It will be hard for him to continue to put up numbers without a huge number of targets

It's not like he dropped 70 passes. 60 of those were on Cam, since he thought Benjamin is 12 feet tall. Benjamin dropped 10, which is a lot, but it's not like the guy can't catch a football.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:35 am

Here's all you need to know:

Ted Ginn 2015 - 96 targets, 44 catches, 739 yards, and 10 TDs.  

Ginn was WR29 with a 46% catch rate and only 96 targets.  I'm not looking for Benjamin to give me 1,500 yards.  80 catches, 1100 yards, and 10 TDs puts him at WR10-11.  I'll take that every day.  

Even 70 catches, 1000 yards, and 8 TDs puts him at WR17-18.  Still numbers I would take.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:47 am

I worry that this will hurt Cam's progression. I just see him zoning in on Benji and not going through all of his looks and spreading it to the open man.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:20 pm

Benjamin has drop issues. Did in college and dropped plenty in the NFL too. It's not all on Cam. Shawn showed some good catches for sure but I would hope a guy could have some highlights considering how much Cam threw the ball at him and seeing as the team has no other options in the receiving game.

I was bummed last year when he got hurt because I'm looking forward to seeing him let down those who fell for that rookie season. Then again, if Carolina is going to continue ignoring the position so Cam has to force it at this clown a shit ton, then I would assume he'll amass a bunch of stats again.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:48 pm

Don't forget about Greg Olson, he is a quality receiving option for them, and I liked what I saw from Funchess down the stretch...

Next year with Benjamin back that could be a pretty good trio of guys for Cam to target. I think that Cam was forced to spread the ball around and work through his progressions last year because outside of Olson he didn't really have a "go-to" guy he could count on. I think that will be good for him moving forward, utilize all your weapons...

Back to top Go down
Kirksville Growlers

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:14 pm

KB will get plenty of opportunity in that offense. I still dont know how they made it to the Super Bowl playing without any WR that should be on a roster and Greg Olsen as the only legitimate target

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:23 pm

Kingdom City Growlers 1 wrote:
KB will get plenty of opportunity in that offense. I still dont know how they made it to the Super Bowl playing without any WR that should be on a roster and Greg Olsen as the only legitimate target

Because that defense was rock solid and their QB was the MVP of the league. Cam was unreal.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF   

Back to top Go down

Kelvin Benjamin WR BUF
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Player talk-
Jump to: