HomeLog inRegisterFAQSearch

Share | 
 

 free agent clarification

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cybertron Screamers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1188

PostSubject: free agent clarification   Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:03 pm

Quote :

L.7 Releasing a player
Players released by any franchise are said to be waived. The cost for dropping a player from your roster is 5WB per year on his contract, unless they are an NFL free agent (NFLFA).

1) Any player acquired in RFA auction or rookie draft that is an NFLFA may be dropped without penalty, before assigning a contract, as long as said player is still an NFLFA at the time of the drop.
2) Any NFLFA player acquired outside of the RFA auction or rookie draft will automatically get a 1 yr contract and a penalty of 5 WB's will be deducted if that player is waived before signing with any NFL team.
3) Any NFLFA player acquired outside of the RFA auction or rookie drat will automatically get a 1 yr contract and if said player signs with an NFL team, then was released and therefore recaptures NFLFA status, that player may be waived without penalty.[/color]

Ex. Team Y are at 113 contract years. John Doe was signed to a 5-year contract and Team Y want to release him. They do release him, pay 25WB and now they are at 108 contract years used.


So interpreting this as "free agent at the time" then after March 11, 2014 i could drop d.j. williams (1 year left) from my team with no penalty given he is a UFA? the window for me to do this would be from march 11, 2014 until he re-ups with the bears or a new team (if at all)?


Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate
 
 
avatar

Posts : 3920

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:30 pm

Where are you coming up with March 11?


Back to top Go down
Vegas Beach Tiger Sharks
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1093

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:07 am

I assume he's referring to the start of NFL free agency.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8795630/p2014-nfl-key-dates-p



Back to top Go down
Vegas Beach Tiger Sharks
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1093

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:10 am

Vegas Beach Tiger Sharks wrote:
I assume he's referring to the start of NFL free agency.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8795630/p2014-nfl-key-dates-p


Although I suppose he might be for some reason referring to the little-known holiday of Johnny Appleseed day on March 11th, but I'm gonna trust my gut and stick with the free agency connection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_11



Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate
 
 
avatar

Posts : 3920

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:42 am

RFA starts on March 1st.  By March 11th, the RFA will still be going on.  Certainly, I don't think there can be any waiver moves (pickups or releases) during the RFA.  I also don't think any roster moves can be made until after the rookie draft, which is when FCFS waivers starts.  At that point if DJ Williams is still a NFLFA he can be dropped penalty free.  At least that's the way I understand it (which is probably wrong).


Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 4148

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:51 am

Last year MFL generally did not update player status for NFL expired contracts so it didn't matter too much. However if MFL did update I think you could drop him for free.


Back to top Go down
Cybertron Screamers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1188

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:36 am

ok, the mfl status has to be FA first as well, got it.


Back to top Go down
Vegas Beach Tiger Sharks
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1093

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:35 pm

San Francisco Golddiggers wrote:
Last year MFL generally did not update player status for NFL expired contracts so it didn't matter too much. However if MFL did update I think you could drop him for free.

This is how I recall it also. I feel like MFL left Wes Welker listed as a NE player even while he was negotiating elsewhere as a free agent, switched him to DEN after the deal was done, but never took the time to label guys as actual FA players in the interim.


Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders
 
 
avatar

Posts : 19752

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:25 am

Vegas Beach Tiger Sharks wrote:
San Francisco Golddiggers wrote:
Last year MFL generally did not update player status for NFL expired contracts so it didn't matter too much. However if MFL did update I think you could drop him for free.

This is how I recall it also. I feel like MFL left Wes Welker listed as a NE player even while he was negotiating elsewhere as a free agent, switched him to DEN after the deal was done, but never took the time to label guys as actual FA players in the interim.

Yup yup.


Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5649

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:51 am

Cybertron Screamers wrote:
ok, the mfl status has to be FA first as well, got it.

MFL's classification is the only one that matters for applying the rules around here


Back to top Go down
Luxembourg Miners
 
 
avatar

Posts : 467

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:01 am

That's what I thought as well...


Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7113

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:39 pm

With all the cuts lately, I can help but bring this up.

If a player sucks a little bit, you're charged 5 WBs per contract year to drop him.
If a player sucks big time, you can drop him free of charge.

Is there a valuable reason for this?


Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders
 
 
avatar

Posts : 19752

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:40 pm

#DroppedTrent


Back to top Go down
Baja Beatniks
 
 
avatar

Posts : 3587

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:57 pm

Curious whether you'd rather see any player be free to drop or NFL free agents also costing 5 WB per contract year to cut.


Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7113

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:50 pm

Baja Beatniks wrote:
Curious whether you'd rather see any player be free to drop or NFL free agents also costing 5 WB per contract year to cut.

I'm thinking all should be 5, unless I am missing the entire point of it all.


Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals
 
 
avatar

Posts : 21841

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:06 pm

You are.

You could try to look at this time of year as risk/reward. If a player doesn't make the team and gets designated as a FA then they just fade away OR if you really believe in them you can hang on to them. If they just mildly suck and keep a position then you continue to take that ride with them which is something you signed up for when you added them.

From experience and the reason we do it the way we do, is that by charging teams to drop even FA's just means that most everyone carries X amount of useless dead bodies all year because they don't want to pay to release them which is understandable but personally I find it super obnoxious to stare at all those useless fucks all year for that reason. I assume you come from the camp of people that would argue that there is no penalty in grabbing these players if you can just be rid of them for free while others are stuck with their "slightly sucky players" like you said but there lies the risk.

With a league like this where there is not much of a waiver wire to be had (well in DD anyway) it's not like there is some big gain to be had in losing these FAs at no cost. It's merely trimming the uselessness from our game and we all take the risk of having to carry these players all year (which by the way we hope we do because they succeed) and we all get to punt those who just can't make the cut (in the NFL and in RW). Charging to drop these players honestly would only result in less team management and a little more scrolling of the rosters report as everyone would just wait fro their 1 year deals to expire.


Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders
 
 
avatar

Posts : 19752

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:08 pm

Plus I got to drop Trent Richardson for free. Fuck that guy.


Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7113

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:16 pm

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
You are.

You could try to look at this time of year as risk/reward.  If a player doesn't make the team and gets designated as a FA then they just fade away OR if you really believe in them you can hang on to them.  If they just mildly suck and keep a position then you continue to take that ride with them which is something you signed up for when you added them.  

From experience and the reason we do it the way we do, is that by charging teams to drop even FA's just means that most everyone carries X amount of useless dead bodies all year because they don't want to pay to release them which is understandable but personally I find it super obnoxious to stare at all those useless fucks all year for that reason.  I assume you come from the camp of people that would argue that there is no penalty in grabbing these players if you can just be rid of them for free while others are stuck with their "slightly sucky players" like you said but there lies the risk.  

With a league like this where there is not much of a waiver wire to be had (well in DD anyway) it's not like there is some big gain to be had in losing these FAs at no cost.  It's merely trimming the uselessness from our game and we all take the risk of having to carry these players all year (which by the way we hope we do because they succeed) and we all get to punt those who just can't make the cut (in the NFL and in RW).  Charging to drop these players honestly would only result in less team management and a little more scrolling of the rosters report as everyone would just wait fro their 1 year deals to expire.

This is what I assumed was the reason. I don't find it to be a good reason, but I won't throw a tantrum over it.

My position is, I'm better than everyone else Evil laugh . I'm not going to have as many super shitty players as most other teams, but I will have a handful of slightly shitty players. In this format, I feel like I am being punished for not being a dumb fuck. That's my asshole opinion anyway.

Can't we just stash these fuck offs on our taxi squad?


Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals
 
 
avatar

Posts : 21841

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:41 pm

Morrison Minions wrote:
Minnesota Eternals wrote:
You are.

You could try to look at this time of year as risk/reward.  If a player doesn't make the team and gets designated as a FA then they just fade away OR if you really believe in them you can hang on to them.  If they just mildly suck and keep a position then you continue to take that ride with them which is something you signed up for when you added them.  

From experience and the reason we do it the way we do, is that by charging teams to drop even FA's just means that most everyone carries X amount of useless dead bodies all year because they don't want to pay to release them which is understandable but personally I find it super obnoxious to stare at all those useless fucks all year for that reason.  I assume you come from the camp of people that would argue that there is no penalty in grabbing these players if you can just be rid of them for free while others are stuck with their "slightly sucky players" like you said but there lies the risk.  

With a league like this where there is not much of a waiver wire to be had (well in DD anyway) it's not like there is some big gain to be had in losing these FAs at no cost.  It's merely trimming the uselessness from our game and we all take the risk of having to carry these players all year (which by the way we hope we do because they succeed) and we all get to punt those who just can't make the cut (in the NFL and in RW).  Charging to drop these players honestly would only result in less team management and a little more scrolling of the rosters report as everyone would just wait fro their 1 year deals to expire.

This is what I assumed was the reason. I don't find it to be a good reason, but I won't throw a tantrum over it.

My position is, I'm better than everyone else Evil laugh . I'm not going to have as many super shitty players as most other teams, but I will have a handful of slightly shitty players. In this format, I feel like I am being punished for not being a dumb fuck. That's my asshole opinion anyway.

Can't we just stash these fuck offs on our taxi squad?

First of all....Kevin Minter. You're not better at shit. Since taking scouting more seriously I have done very well pegging good players and avoiding all the rubbish that the "experts" convince everyone else are gonna be good players. We all win some and lose some though.

You don't need to find it to be a good reason by any means but you also cannot provide a good reason or back it up with why forcing everyone to hold NFLFA's enhances our game. Every league I have seen that does so is a little more stale because of it and I only take notes on leagues that are better than this one in regards to something.

You're not being punished...if you're player didn't get cut from their NFL team doesn't that just back up your nutty stance that you are better at this and that those players are worth holding onto?

The taxi squad is available to all teams but it's only really good for those who like to organize a certain way and keep certain names of their lineup submission screen but they still appear on roster reports and trade screens and really just clutter up the league overall while bringing nothing to the table, even if some folks like you believe that being forced to hang onto them creates some sort of punishment to the franchise which owns them even though other than silly comments is never the case....nobody ever has trouble waiting these players out and thus the only one punished is my eyeballs looking past them all fucking year as they whither and die.


Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7113

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:49 pm

Kevin Minter is still on a team. That's kind of my point. I won't pursue this any further though. It looks like this is one that you're dead set on, and I'm ok with that.


Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals
 
 
avatar

Posts : 21841

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:01 pm

Morrison Minions wrote:
Kevin Minter is still on a team. That's kind of my point. I won't pursue this any further though. It looks like this is one that you're dead set on, and I'm ok with that.

Understood. It's one of those things that there is not a perfect solution to just like how top of the line CBs in the NFL don't translate to top fantasy CBs. I do understand your view of it but the forcing teams to hold all of these FA players has never proven to accomplish anything. Nobody has ever actually been in a pickle in leagues that do it...so then it's just useless fodder sitting there. A player like Kevin Minter by virtue of being on a team has "more of a chance to perform" than a guy bagging groceries and thus you have a commodity there. The FA player is dead weight not only to your team but the league in my eyes and serves no point (good or bad) and actually by letting one release a player like that for free (people tend to do it) which thus could benefit another team who may believe in the player more overall and they can get the player whereas before they would have to trade something to get them (which is less likely to actually occur).

I know I am not going to convince you but for me the ecosystem if you will is better like this than by forcing everything to be stale and wait out the year so these players can then float away. I am not set in stone on it by any means..I just haven't seen any sign that the other way benefits a league at all. I only understand that it makes more sense to a certain percentage of the dynasty population.


Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7113

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:13 pm

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Morrison Minions wrote:
Kevin Minter is still on a team. That's kind of my point. I won't pursue this any further though. It looks like this is one that you're dead set on, and I'm ok with that.

Understood.  It's one of those things that there is not a perfect solution to just like how top of the line CBs in the NFL don't translate to top fantasy CBs.  I do understand your view of it but the forcing teams to hold all of these FA players has never proven to accomplish anything.  Nobody has ever actually been in a pickle in leagues that do it...so then it's just useless fodder sitting there.  A player like Kevin Minter by virtue of being on a team has "more of a chance to perform" than a guy bagging groceries and thus you have a commodity there.  The FA player is dead weight not only to your team but the league in my eyes and serves no point (good or bad) and actually by letting one release a player like that for free (people tend to do it) which thus could benefit another team who may believe in the player more overall and they can get the player whereas before they would have to trade something to get them (which is less likely to actually occur).  

I know I am not going to convince you but for me the ecosystem if you will is better like this than by forcing everything to be stale and wait out the year so these players can then float away.  I am not set in stone on it by any means..I just haven't seen any sign that the other way benefits a league at all.  I only understand that it makes more sense to a certain percentage of the dynasty population.

What if we were to go a different route with it and say a player has to be a FA "x" Amount of days before you can drop them. Especially this time of year when a player may not make the team's 53, but another team goes after them. Or maybe they have to clear through the NFL waiver claim process?


Back to top Go down
Cybertron Screamers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 1188

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:21 am

I think its happened before that player x becomes FA and gets picked up immediately IRL and mfl doesnt ever get a FA status so you are lucky or unlucky depending on landing spot


Back to top Go down
England Dragons
 
 
avatar

Posts : 8346

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:53 am

Kevin Minter! I lolled.

ROFL


Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals
 
 
avatar

Posts : 21841

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:16 am

Morrison Minions wrote:
Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Morrison Minions wrote:
Kevin Minter is still on a team. That's kind of my point. I won't pursue this any further though. It looks like this is one that you're dead set on, and I'm ok with that.

Understood.  It's one of those things that there is not a perfect solution to just like how top of the line CBs in the NFL don't translate to top fantasy CBs.  I do understand your view of it but the forcing teams to hold all of these FA players has never proven to accomplish anything.  Nobody has ever actually been in a pickle in leagues that do it...so then it's just useless fodder sitting there.  A player like Kevin Minter by virtue of being on a team has "more of a chance to perform" than a guy bagging groceries and thus you have a commodity there.  The FA player is dead weight not only to your team but the league in my eyes and serves no point (good or bad) and actually by letting one release a player like that for free (people tend to do it) which thus could benefit another team who may believe in the player more overall and they can get the player whereas before they would have to trade something to get them (which is less likely to actually occur).  

I know I am not going to convince you but for me the ecosystem if you will is better like this than by forcing everything to be stale and wait out the year so these players can then float away.  I am not set in stone on it by any means..I just haven't seen any sign that the other way benefits a league at all.  I only understand that it makes more sense to a certain percentage of the dynasty population.

What if we were to go a different route with it and say a player has to be a FA "x" Amount of days before you can drop them. Especially this time of year when a player may not make the team's 53, but another team goes after them. Or maybe they have to clear through the NFL waiver claim process?

My other league has a rule like this and I think it's a wildly unnecessary extra step or hurdle if you will. I track quite a few things for this league and adding this just seems like it has no real payoff.


Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals
 
 
avatar

Posts : 21841

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:18 am

Cybertron Screamers wrote:
I think its happened before that player x becomes FA and gets picked up immediately IRL and mfl doesnt ever get a FA status so you are lucky or unlucky depending on landing spot

MFL has been really good about changing the status of a player if you shoot them a support ticket. I didn't do that with my players because I figured they would handle it and they did but if it went a few days I have no doubt they would have updated anyone I asked them to update.


Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7113

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:17 am

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Morrison Minions wrote:
Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Morrison Minions wrote:
Kevin Minter is still on a team. That's kind of my point. I won't pursue this any further though. It looks like this is one that you're dead set on, and I'm ok with that.

Understood.  It's one of those things that there is not a perfect solution to just like how top of the line CBs in the NFL don't translate to top fantasy CBs.  I do understand your view of it but the forcing teams to hold all of these FA players has never proven to accomplish anything.  Nobody has ever actually been in a pickle in leagues that do it...so then it's just useless fodder sitting there.  A player like Kevin Minter by virtue of being on a team has "more of a chance to perform" than a guy bagging groceries and thus you have a commodity there.  The FA player is dead weight not only to your team but the league in my eyes and serves no point (good or bad) and actually by letting one release a player like that for free (people tend to do it) which thus could benefit another team who may believe in the player more overall and they can get the player whereas before they would have to trade something to get them (which is less likely to actually occur).  

I know I am not going to convince you but for me the ecosystem if you will is better like this than by forcing everything to be stale and wait out the year so these players can then float away.  I am not set in stone on it by any means..I just haven't seen any sign that the other way benefits a league at all.  I only understand that it makes more sense to a certain percentage of the dynasty population.

What if we were to go a different route with it and say a player has to be a FA "x" Amount of days before you can drop them. Especially this time of year when a player may not make the team's 53, but another team goes after them. Or maybe they have to clear through the NFL waiver claim process?

My other league has a rule like this and I think it's a wildly unnecessary extra step or hurdle if you will.  I track quite a few things for this league and adding this just seems like it has no real payoff.

No problem. I'll view this as a crutch for those that aren't good at this game Evil laugh


Back to top Go down
New England Nineties
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5585

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:06 am

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
I find it super obnoxious to stare at all those useless fucks all year for that reason.

Along those lines, is there any reason we can't drop players on a 1 year contract that are placed on the IR? Obviously in so doing we would be forfeiting any right to RFA benefits and whatnot, but I'd live to not have to do wicked hard math (i.e. subtract 2) for Tyler Gaffney and Ryan Williams all year.


Back to top Go down
New England Nineties
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5585

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:11 am

Morrison Minions wrote:

My position is, I'm better than everyone else Evil laugh . I'm not going to have as many super shitty players as most other teams, but I will have a handful of slightly shitty players. In this format, I feel like I am being punished for not being a dumb fuck. That's my asshole opinion anyway.

I think you are being punished for being a dumb fuck if you're not taking chances on guys factoring in the fact that if they don't work out and get cut, you've lost nothing.


Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7113

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:15 am

New England Nineties wrote:
Morrison Minions wrote:

My position is, I'm better than everyone else Evil laugh . I'm not going to have as many super shitty players as most other teams, but I will have a handful of slightly shitty players. In this format, I feel like I am being punished for not being a dumb fuck. That's my asshole opinion anyway.

I think you are being punished for being a dumb fuck if you're not taking chances on guys factoring in the fact that if they don't work out and get cut, you've lost nothing.


I'm not the type to take a big ol fat swing and a miss on multiple shit players.


Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies
 
 
avatar

Posts : 2175

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:08 am

England Dragons wrote:
Kevin Minter! I lolled.

ROFL

I threw up In my mouth a little


Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 4148

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:33 am

Minnesota Eternals wrote:

MFL has been really good about changing the status of a player if you shoot them a support ticket.  I didn't do that with my players because I figured they would handle it and they did but if it went a few days I have no doubt they would have updated anyone I asked them to update.
Not true. I ate 15WB on Jarrett Boykin because MFL moved him straight to Carolina. I emailed and MFL said updates are not guaranteed to happen daily in the offseason.


Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 5494

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:49 am

Some updates are fast some are not. I can kind of see Shawn's point here...

2cents


Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals
 
 
avatar

Posts : 21841

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:17 pm

I see Shawns point too but I don't believe for a second that going that route makes for a better league. It might fit some folks ideals better but it wouldn't necessarily be an improvement or actually achieve anything.


Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow
 
 
avatar

Posts : 6574

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:01 am

I'll chime in for my first thoughtful post back!

Shawn, I do see your point, but I disagree, even though I try to mimic your Greatness all the time. I just fail at it.

I'll build my years around the fact players will be FA's early in the year. So I have little issues using my 120 in July. (See Bradford/Perry today, although Bradford was a bit of a surprise)

That being said, I kept Stevie even when I had the chance to drop him and save a couple of years. I still feel he's a good WR2/3. Bad situations the last few years, but think he will do really well in SDC since he finally has a QB. What I'm saying is, when given the opportunity, not all players get dropped.

I do want to note, I totally agree with Mike, if a player lands on IR, for the rest of the year, designated to return shouldn't count, we should be able to release them. They don't count against anything any way. One clarification, if they have more than 1 year, no free drop.


Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7113

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:18 pm

Which part are you disagreeing with Bob? The part where I have 56 players, and the only one that's a free agent is a kicker? The part where I'm stupid for not taking the chance on guys that get cut? Or the part where there are multiple teams getting 25 war bucks worth of drops free of charge, while I have to pay for my drops because my players are better?


Back to top Go down
Baja Beatniks
 
 
avatar

Posts : 3587

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:59 pm

I like your view on this, Shawn. It makes things a bit more hardcore I guess? But I paid for the guys that were cut in a couple of ways and kinda got screwed when they became NFL free agents. Spent WB or picks on a few guys and then paid/lost the opportunity cost of not being able to spend their years up front on other players on my roster.

Someone smarter may have seen the Sturgis cut coming, but I still don't see a reason why he couldn't be a fine kicker in the league. I was obviously wrong about Mason Foster. Didn't think he was amazing or horrible. Just figured he would play for someone. Also thought Reggie Wayne might see another year with a good amount of snaps on one team or another. Skill in analyzing talent and forecasting the future is definitely in play here, but we're also at the mercy of a lot of unknowable factors.

I typed all that really just trying to convey that I got screwed so it's not like I got off free of charge. Owners like me that make a lot of bad decisions pay dearly despite not being charged to drop playera cut from teams. Costs that you and those like you will avoid year after year.


Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow
 
 
avatar

Posts : 6574

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:11 pm

Morrison Minions wrote:
Which part are you disagreeing with Bob? The part where I have 56 players, and the only one that's a free agent is a kicker? The part where I'm stupid for not taking the chance on guys that get cut? Or the part where there are multiple teams getting 25 war bucks worth of drops free of charge, while I have to pay for my drops because my players are better?

Or, are you having to pay because you handed out too many years for Special Teams and 3rd string guys? Yes, you don't think you took any "chances". I would say you have a few of them on your team. The argument here is simply about guys that get cut and guys that dont.

I'm sorry some of the 1 year fodder that you have didn't get cut. They are fodder. A bunch of them will never start a game, in the NFL or for you. Doesn't make you any smarter, just means you're unlucky enough to have said 3rd stringers.

I'm a little surprised that Bradford was cut. At one point, even 5-6 weeks ago, he was listed as a starter on the depth chart.

A couple of them didn't feel like "chances" either. Perry was a 1st rd pick. Since he got cut, I guess that means I was reaching and taking "chances". I will say Tripp was one of those. I even gave him 2 years. So, missed that one. That being said, I would have just kept and dropped him at the end of the year when his contract ran out, if i had to pay. Same as you will do with some of your guys.


Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions
 
 
avatar

Posts : 7113

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:04 pm

I don't want anyone to think I am going all Jason on this topic. It doesn't mean much to me. But I am stating my stance when someone disagrees.

By "chances," I was replying to Mike as he doesn't see any of my 56 players as taking a chance on players that will get cut.

Bob, you pointed out my special teams' and 3rd string guys. That's what I'm referring to as well. It will cost me 5 WBs to cut those, while others are getting free cuts because there is no 4th or 5th string.

As long as this is important to Andy, I don't want it to change. The sanity of the President is way more important to me.


Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 4606

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:15 am

From the outside looking in here so feel free to disregard.  But one thing that is helpful with the system that is in place is that it rewards those that are paying attention on a daily basis.  I would think that most of you are but, for some of these players, there is a very short FA window and if you're paying attention you have a chance to take advantage of it.  I think that it also creates interesting issues/decisions if you have a guy locked up for several years and you need to make a quick decision as to whether to move on before he gets signed.  I see RGIII in this situation.  If you have him locked up for 2 more years and he gets cut, I think that most would want to move on.  But there could be a decent percentage of owners that would want to gamble that he ends up somewhere where he may have a revival to his career (like a Steve Young).


Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers
 
 
avatar

Posts : 3192

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:44 am

I lIke it as is, but I also like the idea of putting a time frame on when you are allowed to drop a player listed as a FA in the MFL system.  But the way Andy has it set up is cool by me, it's just adding a window to drop a player sounds like a good idea  coffee


Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals
 
 
avatar

Posts : 21841

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:19 pm

Bergen Brawlers wrote:
From the outside looking in here so feel free to disregard.  But one thing that is helpful with the system that is in place is that it rewards those that are paying attention on a daily basis.  I would think that most of you are but, for some of these players, there is a very short FA window and if you're paying attention you have a chance to take advantage of it.  I think that it also creates interesting issues/decisions if you have a guy locked up for several years and you need to make a quick decision as to whether to move on before he gets signed.  I see RGIII in this situation.  If you have him locked up for 2 more years and he gets cut, I think that most would want to move on.  But there could be a decent percentage of owners that would want to gamble that he ends up somewhere where he may have a revival to his career (like a Steve Young).

Also something I feel about this topic.

I like owners being able to do something with their team but it's not like I can fabricate a bunch of shit. We set our lineups. We add/drop players and place them on IR and take them off. I like that stuff even if it only lasts the blink of an eye. I realize some look at it as a hassle and would prefer that I handle activating all IR players in February and other stuff but I want active and engaged owners so I won't be doing 24 times the work so that an individual can save 4 seconds of their day.

When it comes to this FA topic, there are three options that stick out to me.
1. The one we use obviously.
2. There is the more hardcore approach which Shawn brought up here that lets owners deal with the contracts they dole out which like I said earlier makes plenty of sense in theory but when creating RW I acknowledged that having X number of dead bodies on every roster only made looking for trades and such slightly more annoying when we could all agree that those players were no longer needed. In concept owners should have to pay to release these "mistakes" just like any other player but the reality is that almost nobody does, instead opting to just wait for the contract to expire (typically at years end) where they go away at no cost anyway. Because this is true, and to Russ' point we now have a situation where "doing nothing" is THE WAY TO GO versus the current situation where those who are on top of things can trim their roster.
3. The other option which a couple have brought up (and which goes on in my other league) is that players have to be designated as FA for a specified amount of time (either based on contracts or not) before they may be released. While this might make sense to some folks, it clearly requires more monitoring to be run properly and for what? In many cases the player just gets released anyway and worse yet, in some cases an owner may benefit by having a player on their roster that they would have released had they been allowed to weeks earlier. You shouldn't benefit because you were handcuffed into a decision.


Now someone is welcome to propose whatever come that time of the year and I heard Shawn loud and clear that he was just talking so no worries.

For me this is very much like salary leagues....in theory I am right there with it but in reality I think salaries hurt leagues a great deal. Trading is more difficult. Depending on the league there is a bunch of bulshit math to keep track of or whatever and ultimately I find it silly when fictitious contracts steer player values dramatically to the point that a guy like Aaron Rodgers is nearly untradable while Ryan Fitzpatrick is a sought after treasure. If you like that stuff, enjoy it but I won't go back that nonsense myself.

Maybe someone will come up with an idea on this that fits both viewpoints....


Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies
 
 
avatar

Posts : 2175

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:31 pm

A question regarding FA*... not that I'm going to release Ball but I acquired him by trade while he was on Denver so he shouldn't be a FA* correct? I should be able to drop him without penalty I thought.


Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals
 
 
avatar

Posts : 21841

PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:57 pm

Muskego Muskies wrote:
A question regarding FA*... not that I'm going to release Ball but I acquired him by trade while he was on Denver so he shouldn't be a FA* correct? I should be able to drop him without penalty I thought.

If MFL shows them as FA then you can drop them free of charge unless they are on this list (in your conference)...
http://rosterwars.forumotion.com/t2605-nflfa-s-being-tracked-bylaw-r-3


Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: free agent clarification   

Back to top Go down
 
free agent clarification
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Main RW Lobby-
Jump to: