:: I forgot my password
x

Share | 

Donovan McNabb QB ???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:41 pm

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/01/mcnabb-doesnt-sound-ready-to-retire/

Quote :
McNabb doesn’t sound ready to retire
Posted by Evan Silva on February 1, 2012, 9:10 PM EST
Donovan McNabb AP

Former Vikings, Redskins, and Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb drew little to no interest after Minnesota waived him on December 1. During a Wednesday interview on NFL Network’s Super Bowl Live, however, McNabb indicated that he intends to keep playing football.

“I see three teams in the NFL, right now, that I feel like I can add a little bit of flavor to it from what they have,” McNabb said. ”I won’t mention those teams. But, if the phone rings, there will be a lot of decisions to make on that.”

McNabb’s “if the phone rings” statement confirms that the phone hasn’t rung. He’s going to have to be open to a backup job as a 2012 free agent, likely for the NFL’s minimum salary.

McNabb did say he’d be satisfied if his career were over at age 35.

“A lot of people take a lot of things from this game,” he said. “They take away a Super Bowl ring, they take away an opportunity to play with Hall of Fame players. When I walk away from the game, I take a little bit of everything.”

(Except a ring.)

Donovan is one of those guys like OchoCinco who I never get why he gets so much flack. Even this douche Evan Silva has to take a last shot in this article.

McNabb played for the team with the biggest jackass fans ever. They were basically always in the hunt for playoffs and such even though they played in the "toughest division in football" (which is a load of horseshit all day). I am not saying that he is a Hall of Famer or anything but seems to me he took way more blame for things than he ever deserved.

He is the best example of a class guy who always took the high road with the media and never succumbed to their bullshit either.

I hope he gets a shot somewhere and pieces together one more good year.
Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:47 pm

I dunno. I always thought the same thing, but a lot of the nonsense when he was in DC I feel like people gave him a pass because he was a 'class act'. It's ridiculous that he wouldn't wear a wristband to help him with a new playbook. There's also no point in always saying the right thing if your agent is contradicting you at the same time.

I'm not putting all the blame on him. It was a combination of him and the Shanahans for sure. But I heard a lot of the same work ethic critiques while in Minnesota as I did in DC. Just makes you wonder how much of it is overlooked because he always said the right thing to the camera.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Destroyers

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:41 pm

Maybe McNabb and T.O. can reunite in the CFL! Laughing
Back to top Go down
DownUnder Mayhem!

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:43 am

Stellar career, had him as my main guy for quite a while there, but he's done in my opinion and should retire gracefully.

My :my2c:

DownUnder Mayhem!
Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:55 am

I suppose there has to be something to him not wearing the wristband and so forth...

I just liked the guy...most of the players now days are "ooh ooh, look at me!" and Donovan always came off as a respectful guy who just wanted to play ball.
Back to top Go down
Minnesota Destroyers

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:28 pm

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
players now days are "ooh ooh, look at me!"

ROFL
Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:58 pm

I always respected McNabb since the first time I saw him single-handedly beat Michigan in the Big House.

Dude was unstoppable and I had never seen anything like it in person. I think it's sad what he became toward the end of his career and I sure hope it doesn't taint how good he really was.

and I agree with Andy.. he took way too much Flak.

Back to top Go down
Singapore Slings

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:15 am

I'd say he is a lock for the HOF. The Eagles during the McNabb years are the same as the Jim Kelly-led Buffalo bills years in the 80s-90s. It isn't a perfect 1:1 match given that the Bills went to the four Super Bowls, but there is still a very strong parallel. Just compare Jim Kelly's HOF stats to McNabb's if he were to retire today:

G Att CompPct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD%Int Int% Lng20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate
Player A160 4,779 2,874 60.1 29.9 35,467 7.4 221.7 237 5.0 175 3.7 84 235 48 323 2,427 84.4
Player B167 5,374 3,170 59.032.2 37,2766.9 223.2 234 4.4117 2.2 91 485 119 4102,626 85.6

One had 4 SB losses, one had 4 NFC championship losses + a SB loss.

And, one of those two gets to add 3,459 yards and 29 TD on the ground.

Which one is which?

Either way, both are hall of fame caliber.
Back to top Go down
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:25 am

Wow nice side by side comparison, thanks Singapore. I think sometimes what happens is these players like McNabb, or Favrrreey dont wanna retire so they go to this new teams and everyone expects miracles instead of realizing that there is a transition, a new playbook and players/coaches... So when they start losing everyone decides to throw them under the bus.
Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:13 pm

Singapore Slings wrote:
I'd say he is a lock for the HOF. The Eagles during the McNabb years are the same as the Jim Kelly-led Buffalo bills years in the 80s-90s. It isn't a perfect 1:1 match given that the Bills went to the four Super Bowls, but there is still a very strong parallel. Just compare Jim Kelly's HOF stats to McNabb's if he were to retire today:

Player A160 4,779 2,874 60.1 29.9 35,467 7.4 221.7 237 5.0 175 3.7 84 235 48 323 2,427 84.4
Player B167 5,374 3,170 59.032.2 37,2766.9 223.2 234 4.4117 2.2 91 485 119 4102,626 85.6

One had 4 SB losses, one had 4 NFC championship losses + a SB loss.

And, one of those two gets to add 3,459 yards and 29 TD on the ground.

Which one is which?

Either way, both are hall of fame caliber.

Donovan should make it in my mind. He carried the Eagles for years. Here are one player's career stats and HE is in the HOF.

Now since I'm old and suck at such things, like "smart" phones, I have to type it in. Can't do the table. Very nice BTW.

Games: 140 Att: 3762 Comp: 1886 Pct: 50.1 Yds: 27663 Att/G: 26.9 Avg: 7.4 Yds/G: 197.6 TD's: 173 TD%: 4.6 INT: 220

INT%: 5.8 SCK: 150 SCKY: 1425 Rate: 65.5 He had a total of 140yds rushing and 7 TD's in his career.

A 65.5 CAREER Passer Rating

This QB never had a better rating than 74.3 in a 13 year career, yet he was voted into the HOF 8 years after retiring. IMO he got in because of 1 game. Who is he???? Other than the most overrated QB in history.

Just a note: Curtis Painter: 66.6 Blaine Gabbert: 65.4 Ranked 33 and 34 this year in Passer Rating
Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:37 pm

And I checked something else:

Trent Freakin' Dilfer has a better career rating than this guy! 70.2

I really despise this guy.

soapbox rant

Back to top Go down
Singapore Slings

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:35 pm

Decatur Demons wrote:
And I checked something else:

Trent Freakin' Dilfer has a better career rating than this guy! 70.2

I really despise this guy.

I would have guessed Terry Bradshaw, though the "because of one game" statement wouldn't work. But I looked up the numbers. I agree with you 100%.

Since it's been about 24 hours, I may as well post the answer...

Singapore Slings wrote:

Player A: Jim Kelly
Player B: Donovan McNabb
Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:39 pm

yeah, so why does Donovan get shit on all the time again?

Back to top Go down
Carolina Werewolves

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:02 pm

Jim Kelly called his own plays. Any QB who does that in the modern NFL gets a HUGE bump imo. I also didn't see a winning percentage stat for Kelly vs. McNabb there although I could have missed it.
Back to top Go down
Utah Spazz

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:47 pm

One day Eagles fans will release how good they had it with McNabb. The ownership never got the guy a top WR until the end of his career, it is a shame. I will continue to wear my #5 Eagles jersey with pride.

My greatest football memory was when i was at Super Bowl 39 and saw McNabb throw a TD pass to Westbrook (I was sitting 10 rows up in that endzone - amazing feeling and memory)

Back to top Go down
http://www.fakeplastictunes.com/
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:56 pm

I agree, Mcnabb gets more hate than he should from Eagles fans. The nonsense that I used to hear people say on sports radio about him was laughable.

Back to top Go down
Utah Spazz

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:30 pm

Eagles fans are ruthless - I can only imagine how they will start bagging on Vick if he doesn't give us a long playoff run next year.

Back to top Go down
http://www.fakeplastictunes.com/
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:47 pm

Nah it'll be on Reid- he's directly in the crosshairs of Philadelphia fans right now, I see him getting 100% of the blame if next year tanks

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:50 pm

Dude needs to shut up.

McNabb thinks he belongs in the HOF

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8286a1a0/article/donovan-mcnabb-believes-hes-a-hall-of-famer?module=HP11_headline_stack

I mean its certainly a topic that will be debated, and I'm not necessarily saying he doesn't deserve it, but let someone else start the discussion...

Back to top Go down
Carolina Werewolves

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:32 pm

I like McNabb. I think it will be a very difficult road to get to the Hall of Fame for him though. He made some really good money and won a good number of games. At this point, wanting the HOF is asking a little too much. Go

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:47 pm

Carolina Werewolves wrote:
I like McNabb. I think it will be a very difficult road to get to the Hall of Fame for him though. He made some really good money and won a good number of games. At this point, wanting the HOF is asking a little too much. Go

I agree
Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:12 pm

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Carolina Werewolves wrote:

I agree

McNabb was an adequate QB, not a great one. No HOF IMO.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:23 pm

I don't think he gets in the Hall.

Back to top Go down
Carolina Werewolves

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:31 pm

I think he was far better than adequate but I don't think he was elite which I look for in HOF membership. You can't compare him to Favre or Manning who are about the same age and played at about the same time.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:33 pm

I like him like I said but I would be stunned if he got in.

Back to top Go down
Carolina Werewolves

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:35 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the Veterans committee votes him in 20 years or so from now, but the sportswriters won't. I can't say in this case they are wrong. I do have a bone to pick with them about Chris Carter though....

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:37 pm

The only way Mcnabb gets in the hall is if he pays admission just like you and me...Again a very good QB, but not a HOFer

Back to top Go down
Wyoming Headhunters

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:45 pm

Gets in the HOF for throwing the ball in the grass 5 yards in front of him, but thats it. Never the same after that knee. IMO

Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:43 pm

Not deserving of the HOF.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   Sat May 05, 2012 10:10 pm

Just retire.

Quote :
Free agent Donovan McNabb says he has no plans to retire, and is hoping to sign with a team before training camp. Analysis: McNabb had previously said he was "undecided" about retirement. "I sort of have some unfinished business," McNabb said in a Friday radio interview. McNabb says he's been "training hard" with quarterback guru George Whitfield. McNabb hasn't taken a single visit this offseason, and can't hope for more than a No. 3 job at this stage of free agency.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Donovan McNabb QB ???   

Back to top Go down

Donovan McNabb QB ???
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Player talk-
Jump to: