HomeLog inRegisterFAQSearch

Share | 

Venting thread and Great Idea Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tarpon Springs RedKnights

PostSubject: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:27 pm

Ok guys, we all were shocked with the news of Shawn leaving but its time to move off from denial and here are a few points that we need to remember:

1. He is to our knowledge leaving on good terms to handle personal business, not because he contracted sickle cell or herpies or some other major disease, so not all is bad here folks, its a decision that he made for his life.

2. This is the F'n start of the F'n football season with one pre season game scheduled! a time to be happy!

3. A solution to the "ohh no a new guy is gonna inherit the mighty eagles!" argument which I think its silly but I will entertain anyway is this! Brace yourself I have put a lot of thought into this, 3 minutes in fact!!!

Step one: Decide on the owner
Step two: before he gets invited ask the other teams that have 0-0 records, meaning they brand spanking new if they want to partake in a mini draft (obviously this will have to be a major vote since its not in our bylaws)
Step three: Then divvy up all the picks wb's and players of the teams partaking and do a fast paced draft that will have to be done asap... I recommend to give each team an equal portion of the Wb's, and have them pick the draft picks as if they were players, meaning I can choose in round 4, a first round draft pick 2014 etc etc...
Step Four: Make sure that ALL the teams start new on the "who defeated all opponents first progressive pool, I dont think that the new Eagles owner should have an advantage of having defeated all these teams, I think all the new guys should start from zero as they have not defeated ANYONE...

Back to top Go down
St. Louis Duffers

PostSubject: Re: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:57 pm

[quote="Step two: before he gets invited ask the other teams that have 0-0 records, meaning they brand spanking new if they want to partake in a mini draft (obviously this will have to be a major vote since its not in our bylaws)
Step three: Then divvy up all the picks wb's and players of the teams partaking and do a fast paced draft that will have to be done asap... I recommend to give each team an equal portion of the Wb's, and have them pick the draft picks as if they were players, meaning I can choose in round 4, a first round draft pick 2014 etc etc...
quote]

Interesting concept. Definitely will be something to see.
worship2 

Back to top Go down
Wyoming Headhunters

PostSubject: Re: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:37 pm

If we are to do something like this then anyone who thinks their team is not what they want should be able to throw everything into that pot. I do tire of the liberal "he has more than me nonsense". Tardedness

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:42 pm

Yeah, the DFWC has this feature, and I personally think it's a great idea. Every year, anyone who wants to can elect to participate in a dispersal draft. If you enter it, and at least one other team enters it, all of your players, picks, etc., go in, and you draft.

It probably makes for a lot of fun during a quiet time, as well as some extra strategy. But it's not for everyone as I'm sure some would like to keep things punishing (i.e. if your team sucks, you're stuck with it).

I think it should be a go-to rule for whenever more than one owner leaves a league, but unfortunately, the timing hasn't really worked out with RW anyway. People have left at different times.

I'd be fine with it happening here, now, but I understand if people think it's too radical a change to enact immediately.

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:44 pm

How many owners have we turned over so far? Is anyone concerned about this? Is there a common thread with people leaving or has it just been shit luck? Or poor vetting? Or both?

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:06 pm

Interesting idea... I have a provision in the leagues I commission where if we have more than one open team at a time, the players go in a pot and the new owners draft their team. Being an elective thing that you can choose to do or not in an interesting twist...

As far as this league goes, I think I would want to stand pat and continue with my rebuild... All the strategy with RFA's, player moves, trades and the rookie draft... I don't want that to be for nothing... I may not be competitive this year but I like the foundation I have in place and want to see my work through... So if we did a dispersal draft, you can count me out...

Curious what the other new guys opinions would be on this and if they feel like I do or if they would opt for the redo?

Back to top Go down
Baja Beatniks

PostSubject: Re: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:19 am

The idea sounds cool, but if it were really an option, I'd have to give it some more thought before opting in. Hell, Shawn's DEs alone make me want a shot at that team's roster, but I've embraced where the team I took over is at and like what I've been able to do with trades. My roster doesn't scream win now like Shawn's, but it's future isn't so heavily leveraged.

If I had to decide this second, I would opt out. If a shuffle draft or reassigmment becomes an option, I reserve the right to change my mind.

Back to top Go down
New Berlin Blitzkrieg

PostSubject: Re: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:49 am

Yeah, Sty's speaking of a Replacement Owners Draft (ROD). These are usually held if 2+ teams are in need of a replacement GM; i.e., the involved teams' players, picks are thrown into the free agent pool from which each participating GM gets to draft snake-style. It's an idea I employ in each of my leagues but one I've yet to see executed in a scenario like this one here- the ROD is usually held (yeah, I know) before the participants perform any transactions.

Regarding Lance's dispersal draft comment, I've only witnessed it done once and the teams that wanted to participate opted in secretly so that no one knew what players would become available. It was very interesting.

It's also worth mentioning that player contracts are reset when said players are released into free agency pre-ROD... is that something this leagues wants? And draft picks... I've both seen them made available pick-by-pick and in equivalent pick packages (of which you can only draft one). How about WBs? What would happen to them?

Thing is, we've already gone through free agency and the draft... and have engaged in various trades to acquire players we value. So the teams we took over resemble what we want much more now than they did a few months ago.

I'm indifferent to it but I'll participate if the rest of the new blood wants to start from scratch. Should Andy opt to do this, the participants should ask themselves, "what are the chances I recoup the players I covet currently on my team, the players I covet from the other teams?" After all, it is a draft so you're just as likely to lose the players you love as add the players you're eyeing on the other teams.

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:07 am

I assume there is no chance we force new owners to do this and unlikely this happens this season if it all.
Personally I do not like the idea of resetting contracts and for RW am definitely against the idea of opting into a dispersal draft for existing owners - you made the mess, be a big boy and clean it up!

Back to top Go down
New Berlin Blitzkrieg

PostSubject: Re: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:09 am

Atlanta Africans wrote:
you made the mess, be a big boy and clean it up!

THIS (unless RW was founded on annual dispersal/redo drafts; which it was not).

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:18 am

Yeah, I am not in favor of a dispersal draft... a replacement owners draft is different but that only works if you have two or more teams available at the same time which hasn't been the case and I see no reason to implement it here...

I am comfortable with the roster I am overhauling. I have made the team my own (for better or worse initially) and would rather stay the course.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:05 am

Glad so many of you have expressed your thoughts on this.

I am also not in favor of a dispersal draft of existing owners, but a replacement owner draft is something I think can be considered or at least discussed.

Bottom line is we have now an open team that some of you consider to be a very strong team and I just figured we have a place to discuss choices and options that Andy can look at and consider.

Keep the thoughts coming pumpkins.

Back to top Go down
New Berlin Blitzkrieg

PostSubject: Re: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:08 am

cheers 

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:03 pm

I'm not sure why any of us are viewing this situation differently to any when previous owners left.

A team is available, Andy - with help from others if he wants it - will find a replacement owner.

If I'd taken over one of the other recent teams, I'd hate to change now or have a dispersal draft as I'd already put a ton of effort in to my new team, as all the new guys have done.

We can't suddenly want a dispersal draft just because Shawn's team is considered better than the other ones recently available?

But hey, that's just me. Hardcore baby!

cheers 

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:09 pm

Jon I agree with you but so far history has proven that we will lose people due to many issues in life or just not cutting it in the league.
I created this thread to explore what people's thoughts are about a draft being held if there are more then two teams open in the same conference, and to give Andy a feel of what people think about our current issue and future ideas etc etc.
So play along pumpkin.

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:09 pm

I think we're just spitballing here, I dont think this is something that is going to happen, at least this year.

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:10 pm

England Dragons wrote:
I'm not sure why any of us are viewing this situation differently to any when previous owners left.

A team is available, Andy - with help from others if he wants it - will find a replacement owner.

If I'd taken over one of the other recent teams, I'd hate to change now or have a dispersal draft as I'd already put a ton of effort in to my new team, as all the new guys have done.

We can't suddenly want a dispersal draft just because Shawn's team is considered better than the other ones recently available?

But hey, that's just me. Hardcore baby!

cheers 

good post 

I totally agree. I think that the dispersal draft is an interesting idea to bring up in January at the next meetings. However I don't think it is one that should be looked at for this situation.

The main downfall I see with it, is that as we have seen this offseason, teams do not leave at the same time. It would have been pretty much impossible to do the dispersal draft this offseason, because of the timing of RFA, the draft, contracts, etc. Unless we have a hard deadline for people to leave the league, it doesn't seem too practical going forward with how active our offseason is.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:23 pm

Adelaide Empire wrote:
I think we're just spitballing here, I dont think this is something that is going to happen, at least this year.
Mike no one expected the Vikings to discover America either but it happened. Who saw Shawn leaving Roster Wars? Or my rosé bubble tip anemone splitting? Unexpected things happen and we can sit back with a dazed look waiting for our daddy Andy to fix them or we can brainstorm.
In the famous words of Elton John “You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us. And the world will live as one.”
― John

Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Oysters

PostSubject: Re: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:17 pm

I guess I'm late to the party but congratulations, Sty, on the splitting of your rosé bubble tip anemone.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:57 am

Apalachicola Oysters wrote:
I guess I'm late to the party but congratulations, Sty, on the splitting of your rosé bubble tip anemone.
thanks. It has now overtaken my tank and rode bubbles are everywhere. They killed most other corals.

Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:16 pm

All I saw was "herpies" in the opening thread and couldn't continue...no idea who Shawn is (or was), but I wish him well.

Back to top Go down
Mrs. Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:20 pm

Shaferville Stars wrote:
All I saw was "herpies" in the opening thread and couldn't continue...no idea who Shawn is (or was), but I wish him well.

That Shawn is actually the Minions. He was here at the beginning as the Eagles but had to leave due to personal reasons and came back to us.

Back to top Go down
Shaferville Stars

PostSubject: Re: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:28 pm

Glad to have him (and his herpies) back in the fold.

Back to top Go down
Bergen Brawlers

PostSubject: Re: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:39 pm

Tarpon Springs RedKnights wrote:
Adelaide Empire wrote:
Mike no one expected the Vikings to discover America either but it happened. Who saw Shawn leaving Roster Wars? Or my rosé bubble tip anemone splitting? Unexpected things happen and we can sit back with a dazed look waiting for our daddy Andy to fix them or we can brainstorm.  
In the famous words of Elton John “You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us. And the world will live as one.”
― John

Well how can you argue with that?

Interesting to see how this played out.  So the Miners stepped into the situation that everyone thought was great, failed to live up to expectations on the playing field, and failed to live up to the activity requirements.  And then the team turned over and eventually became the Muskies.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Venting thread and Great Idea Thread   

Back to top Go down

Venting thread and Great Idea Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Main RW Lobby-
Jump to: