x

Share | 

Vernon Davis TE DEN

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wyoming Headhunters

PostSubject: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:57 am

RotoWire)Davis told Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com that his bond with quarterback Colin Kaepernick is strong off the field, and that's what is most important in helping on-field chemistry. "We bond really well. We play, we joke, away from the field. That's very important, especially when it comes to developing that relationship with your quarterback. Because that's what it's about. It's about what you do away from here. Of course we want to go out and work on the field, but how's your relationship away from the field?"

we have great chemistry OFF THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:50 pm

Quote :
There is growing speculation that Davis may get more work at wide receiver than at tight end after spending most of his time in mini-camp working with the receivers, the Santa Rosa Press Democrat reports. Analysis: With the loss of Michael Crabtree and the departure of Randy Moss, the 49ers are in need of an outside receiver who is capable of stretching the field. Newly-acquired Anquan Boldin is more effective as a slot receiver and Davis seems to be the only one with experience running deep routes. It's very possible that the 49ers do experiment with Davis lining up as a wide receiver which could help increase his value

That would make a ton of sense.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:52 pm

So what is the chances he is listed as WR? I don't think he is a great TE, and a switch to WR could really ruin his fantasy value.

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:03 pm

don't know but it seems like MFL is making lots of changes at the drop of a hat lately

Back to top Go down
Wyoming Headhunters

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:56 am

Aren't you guys tired of waiting on this guy to do anything outside of the playoffs? I am so done with him. WR or TE:voteno:

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:22 am

He finally has a real QB. I'm willing to give him another chance.

Back to top Go down
Atlanta Africans

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:19 am

Wyoming Headhunters wrote:
Aren't you guys tired of waiting on this guy to do anything outside of the playoffs?  I am so done with him.  WR or TE:voteno:

You mean like 900yds and 13 TDs, Oh wait he did that already...

Back to top Go down
Utah Spazz

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:09 am

I doubt he gets listed as a WR. But I do think he gets more targets and lines up at WR. Might be the #2 TE behind only Jimmy Graham this year.

Back to top Go down
http://www.fakeplastictunes.com/
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:20 pm

I don't like him either...he is overrated by many people. I know what he is capable of in any given game but he sure does suck balls just as much if you ask me. He is the type of player I like to own though since I can trade him and never feel like I lost in the deal.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:28 pm

Utah Spazz wrote:
I doubt he gets listed as a WR. But I do think he gets more targets and lines up at WR. Might be the #2 TE behind only Jimmy Graham this year.  

Honestly I was going to mock you here but you might be right. Obviously only if Gronk continues to have serious issues. That said I still think #2 TE this year is high. I expect the top four to be Witten, Gonzo, Graham and Gronk. Next up I'd say Greg Olsen. Then you've got a mix of Vernon Davis, Jared Cook, Gresham, and Myers.

That's my guess.

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:41 pm

Vernon Davis. Meh.

:asleep:

Back to top Go down
Utah Spazz

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:01 pm

Mock away I don't mind. The TE position is up in the air besides anyone not named Jimmy Graham. Even Witten and Gonzo can't last forever and I think Davis has a little more upside then those two going forward

Back to top Go down
http://www.fakeplastictunes.com/
San Francisco Golddiggers

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:24 pm

Problem really is that the 49ers will have a very low number of pass attempts. 31st in NFL last year. 32nd in 2011. SF throws about 28 passes per game. Average team around 35. League leaders above 40. That is about 30 to 40% less opportunity for 49ers.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:24 pm

Quote :
The San Francisco 49ers are not considering moving TE Vernon Davis to wide receiver on a full-time basis even though he received some reps at the position during offseason workouts. The team will add some new wrinkles for Davis in the offense. Analysis: Last season aside, Davis has been a top-5-worthy fantasy TE since 2009, and with the questions surrounding the Niners' WR corps and the departure of No. 2 TE Delanie Walker, it should mean more targets and production for Davis in 2013.

Excellent. Shouldn't have to worry about any reclassification.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:03 pm

Quote :
Vernon Davis continues to take reps with the wide receivers during 49ers' camp. Analysis: Davis exclusively practiced with the wideouts during the Niners' minicamp in June. It wasn't a one week experiment, as he's been splitting his time between receiver and tight end over the past few days. With Michael Crabtree (Achilles') down, Davis' role in the passing game is going to increase. "I see a lot of improvement, in his ability as a football player, his route-running," coach Jim Harbaugh said. "He looks really good, in the prime of his career."

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:27 am

Quote :
Vernon Davis sustained a hamstring "strain" in Sunday night's loss to the Seahawks. Analysis: In the fourth quarter, Davis was running a vertical route and was forced to pull up as he grabbed the back of his leg. Richard Sherman made an interception on the play. Davis was quickly ruled out for the rest of the game and was spotted with an ice bag wrapped around his leg. The Niners did not reveal any details on the severity of the strain following the game. Davis' backup is second-round rookie Vance McDonald.
I wonder if they would have tried to get him back in if the score was closer. We'll have to see if he practices.

Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:37 am

Jersey Legionnaires wrote:
Quote :
Vernon Davis sustained a hamstring "strain" in Sunday night's loss to the Seahawks. Analysis: In the fourth quarter, Davis was running a vertical route and was forced to pull up as he grabbed the back of his leg. Richard Sherman made an interception on the play. Davis was quickly ruled out for the rest of the game and was spotted with an ice bag wrapped around his leg. The Niners did not reveal any details on the severity of the strain following the game. Davis' backup is second-round rookie Vance McDonald.
I wonder if they would have tried to get him back in if the score was closer.  We'll have to see if he practices.
I called Harbaugh....said get him back out there, we need him.....he ignored me.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:11 pm

Quote :
Davis (concussion) will not return to Sunday's game against the Panthers. Analysis: Not only are Davis owners hit with a one-catch, two-yard output Sunday, but the tight end's status for Week 11's game against the Saints is now clearly in question.
Motherfuckers

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Thu May 29, 2014 5:36 pm

Quote :
Davis, who has two years remaining on a lucrative deal he signed before the 2010 season opener, is remaining away from the 49ers' organized workout program due to dissatisfaction with his contract, a source indicated to CSNBayArea.com.

Neither Davis nor his agent, Todd France, responded to a request for comment on Davis’ absence from the official offseason program.

When 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh was asked Wednesday why Davis has not been attending workouts at the team’s Santa Clara practice facility, he answered, “As you know, the workouts are voluntary. That would be the reason.”

However, the workouts are not voluntary for Davis, who is sacrificing his annual $200,000 workout bonus with his absence, said a source familiar with Davis' deal.

The 49ers’ mandatory minicamp is scheduled for June 17-19. Any player who chooses not to attend the minicamp is subject to a fine up to $60,000, according to the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement.

Asshole.

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Thu May 29, 2014 6:37 pm

Typical NFL player. If they aren't getting arrested they are bitching about their contract and holding out. The NFL offseason sucks.

Back to top Go down
Carolina Werewolves

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Thu May 29, 2014 9:52 pm

Guys,

Some facts:

* The NFL is the only major sports league in the nation, maybe the world, where contracts are not 100% guaranteed.

* The team can then cut an NFL player at any time with no cause, only having to pay the guaranteed portion which is usually the signing bonus.

Fuck that I would hold out too if I were one of the best players and clearly the best offensive skill position player on the team. Every year you have to try to get paid as much as possible because you never know when you will get cut.

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Thu May 29, 2014 11:38 pm

Carolina Werewolves wrote:
Guys,

Some facts:

* The NFL is the only major sports league in the nation, maybe the world, where contracts are not 100% guaranteed.

* The team can then cut an NFL player at any time with no cause, only having to pay the guaranteed portion which is usually the signing bonus.

Fuck that I would hold out too if I were one of the best players and clearly the best offensive skill position player on the team. Every year you have to try to get paid as much as possible because you never know when you will get cut.

I hate that argument.  These guys get enormous signing bonus' solely because their contract isn't guaranteed.  When they sign that contract and get a huge chunk up front, they are agreeing to the terms within with the acknowledgement that their per year "wage" is significantly lower because they are getting paid the majority of their contract up front. To double back and renig on the contract because you want another signing bonus, he can go fuck himself.  Davis is owed something like $9.3 million over the next 2 years.  Fuck him.  He has 0 leverage.  None.  Zilch.  Nada.  You sign.  You play.  Seriously, fuck that guy.

Back to top Go down
Carolina Werewolves

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Fri May 30, 2014 12:30 am

You can hate the argument but the argument is 100% valid. Yes he gets a certain amount up front but how many NFL players actually see the entire contract? Few if any. If SF has a shitty cap situation next year they are going to ask him to take a pay cut. If the team can ask them to renegotiate the contract and or take a pay cut then why cant the players ask for more money???

Fuck that. I ain't playin unless I get paid, because the team has ZERO loyalty to the players when it comes to the contract. We both know it.

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Fri May 30, 2014 12:48 am

Chicago Crime Syndicate wrote:
Carolina Werewolves wrote:
Guys,

Some facts:

I hate that argument.  These guys get enormous signing bonus' solely because their contract isn't guaranteed.  When they sign that contract and get a huge chunk up front, they are agreeing to the terms within with the acknowledgement that their per year "wage" is significantly lower because they are getting paid the majority of their contract up front.  To double back and renig on the contract because you want another signing bonus, he can go fuck himself.  Davis is owed something like $9.3 million over the next 2 years.  Fuck him.  He has 0 leverage.  None.  Zilch.  Nada.  You sign.  You play.  Seriously, fuck that guy.

Actually, they do have leverage. That's why they do this. Sometimes it works. Most often it doesn't. But to say they have no leverage is silly. Davis can sit out 10 weeks, get credit for the season, then be out of his contract next year. That's something that is collectively bargained, he has the right to do that and pay the fine just as the team has the right to cut him.

And I'm not sure what "per year wage" you're talking about, but the vast majority of big money contracts have inflated per year wages, not "significantly lower" ones. That's because the later years in a contract are all fake money. There are many contracts that are signed, include a big signing bonus, that everyone, including the team, knows will not be finished.

Contracts and salaries are meaningless in the league. It's stupid to expect the players to honor them when the teams obviously won't if they don't want to.

I think you know the issue is more nuanced than what you're suggesting. You sound like Andy.

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Fri May 30, 2014 12:50 am

In a couple years, Joe Flacco will reach a year in his contract where he's supposed to make $25 million. Flacco will be happy to play for it. The team won't, and will approach him telling him he needs to take a pay cut with a new contract, or they'll cut him.

I assume Jason, et. al will come posting with outrage about how the Ravens aren't living up to the contract they agreed to, right?

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Fri May 30, 2014 12:52 am

Here's Joe Flacco's contract, as an example. Observe the "significantly lower per year wage" that exist in Jason's dream world:

2013: $1 million
2014: $6 million
2015: $4 million
2016: $18 million
2017: $20.6 million
2018: $20 million

Back to top Go down
Norfolk Bombers

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Fri May 30, 2014 5:55 am

Adelaide Empire wrote:
Here's Joe Flacco's contract, as an example. Observe the "significantly lower per year wage" that exist in Jason's dream world:

Not to speak for Jason, but the purpose of this contract is to force re-negotiation after 2016 unless Flacco is Super Elite.  BOTH sides know this.  Davis's deal however pays him the bulk up front so that if he is cut he still gets a solid per year average and the team gets the flexibility to cut him if he is not performing.   Dont know his numbers exactly but it goes like this -  lets say I want to pay you $10MM a year for 4 years.  In Baseball I sign you to a 4 year $40MM with 10MM.  In football, I pay you a  22MM signing bonus with you somehow making 18MM over the next four years.  Maybe 7MM year 1,  5MM year 2, and 3MM each of the last two years.  Then come the last two years you bitch that you only make 3MM a year which is BULLSHIT, you are getting an avg of 10MM a year DUMBASS!  If you stop performing after year 3, instead of making just 30mm you get 37MM,  so you are better off this way if you suck at the end of the contract.  That is what they get in exchange for guaranteed contracts....

In other words Davis needs to just STFU.

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Fri May 30, 2014 6:05 am

Norfolk Bombers wrote:
Adelaide Empire wrote:

Not to speak for Jason, but the purpose of this contract is to force re-negotiation after 2016 unless Flacco is Super Elite.  BOTH sides know this.  Davis's deal however pays him the bulk up front so that if he is cut he still gets a solid per year average and the team gets the flexibility to cut him if he is not performing.   Dont know his numbers exactly but it goes like this -  lets say I want to pay you $10MM a year for 4 years.  In Baseball I sign you to a 4 year $40MM with 10MM.  In football, I pay you a  22MM signing bonus with you somehow making 18MM over the next four years.  Maybe 7MM year 1,  5MM year 2, and 3MM each of the last two years.  Then come the last two years you bitch that you only make 3MM a year which is BULLSHIT, you are getting an avg of 10MM a year DUMBASS!  If you stop performing after year 3, instead of making just 30mm you get 37MM,  so you are better off this way if you suck at the end of the contract.  That is what they get in exchange for guaranteed contracts....

In other words Davis needs to just STFU.

Yes, I understand how it works. That was my point. Jason said that contract salaries were artificially low because of the up front money. That's obviously not true. The point is, telling a player to "STFU" because of the sanctity of the "contract" is stupid. NFL teams don't have to honor contracts, and neither do players. When a player is cut, you and Jason don't come here and tell the team to "STFU and pay out the contract you agreed to." Makes no sense.

And I also do not agree that players should think of the signing bonus as averaged out over the salary. The signing bonus is just that - a bonus to the player for signing the contract. An incentive to agree to the contract. I don't really see any reason why it should be averaged over the contract, it's a bonus. Obviously it's averaged for cap purposes but that's totally irrelevant.

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Fri May 30, 2014 6:22 am

@Dave, exactly.

And Mike, I was talking a lower per year wage compared to the inflated signing bonus'- not that the value of the contract goes down each season.

Players want their cake and eat it too. If the 49'ers go to Davis next yr and ask him to renegotiate he has every right to say no. At that point, teams can bite the bullett and keep him or waive him. If he gets waived, then he gets his chance at brand new paper!  Yippie!  Another signing bonus- the caveat is that he may not be playing very well and therefore won't get a huge deal. But that's the market.

Contracts are signed knowing all this upfront. You think Flacco really thinks he is going to see a penny of that $25mil?  He knows that. If he's still playing well, he'll get a new deal, with a large signing bonus, with a lower per yr wage so that the team can stay under the cap. Or, he can refuse a paucity and take his chances on the open market for a new deal.

You think it's cool that players refuse to play when franchise tagged?  Why do you think they hate it?  Making $9.8mil for 1 season sounds good to me. But they hate it because they aren't getting a signing bonus.  These are the rules of the NFL. Players, agents and owners know them when they sign a contract or get tagged.

And no Davis has no leverage and doesn't have a chance of getting a new deal right now SF has bigger fish to fry with the contracts of Kaepernick, Crabtree, Harbaugh and A. smith. Davis will show up and play week 1. He isn't dumb enough to walk away from $4mil.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Fri May 30, 2014 6:56 am

My simpleton brain just thinks the system is stupid like Jason R. said. It's the only sport where contracts aren't guaranteed.

Wouldn't it remove all of this holdout horseshit if they just had to agree to a contract and both sides have to stick by it? If the player gets hurt, the team gets hurt on the deal but doing it this way would also completely remove the players abilities to holdout since there would be no new deal until the old deal is complete...if they refuse to play they would lose whatever money they would be earning just like I would at my job if I didn't go anymore.

I always hate systems that are overcomplicated for no reason.

Oh....and fuck Vernon Davis. I don't think he deserves anywhere near as much respect as he gets in the fantasy community.

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Fri May 30, 2014 7:33 am

"STFU and play," lol. Go ahead and tell me that you would leave millions of dollars on the table for the sanctity of a contract that the other party can walk away from whenever they want. You'd either be a sucker or a moron.

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Fri May 30, 2014 7:39 am

Contracts are signed knowing all this upfront. You think Flacco really thinks he is going to see a penny of that $25mil?  He knows that. If he's still playing well, he'll get a new deal, with a large signing bonus, with a lower per yr wage so that the team can stay under the cap. Or, he can refuse a paucity and take his chances on the open market for a new deal.

Right - this is the point. NFL contracts after about year 3 (on average) mean dick. So why is everyone telling Davis to "STFU and play, you signed a contract?" Contracts are meaningless in the NFL. You want to tell me it should be like MLB/NBA/etc., fine, but it isn't.

You think it's cool that players refuse to play when franchise tagged?  Why do you think they hate it?  Making $9.8mil for 1 season sounds good to me. But they hate it because they aren't getting a signing bonus.  These are the rules of the NFL. Players, agents and owners know them when they sign a contract or get tagged.

Right. Another part of the rules in the NFL is that a player can sit out for the majority of the year, only give up his game checks for that period, and still get to take a year off the contract. The franchise tag is a tool in the team's toolbox, the holdout is one in the player's toolbox.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Fri May 30, 2014 7:56 am

Adelaide Empire wrote:
"STFU and play," lol. Go ahead and tell me that you would leave millions of dollars on the table for the sanctity of a contract that the other party can walk away from whenever they want. You'd either be a sucker or a moron.

These players and agents negotiate these contracts with the teams. They know what the terms are when they sign them. If you're worried about the other party just walking away then demand more guaranteed money. The strategy has worked out really well for Jonathan Stewart.

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Fri May 30, 2014 8:43 am

Mohawk Ridge Marauders wrote:
Adelaide Empire wrote:

These players and agents negotiate these contracts with the teams.  They know what the terms are when they sign them.  If you're worried about the other party just walking away then demand more guaranteed money.  The strategy has worked out really well for Jonathan Stewart.  

Justin that's the same thing that I've told Mike three times now which he likes to ignore.

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Fri May 30, 2014 8:45 am

Adelaide Empire wrote:

Do you see "millions of dollars on the table" for Davis? The only millions I see for him is his yearly wage for this year which he is threatening to give up (which we all know he won't).

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Fri May 30, 2014 8:57 am

Adelaide Empire wrote:

Right - this is the point. NFL contracts after about year 3 (on average) mean dick. So why is everyone telling Davis to "STFU and play, you signed a contract?" Contracts are meaningless in the NFL. You want to tell me it should be like MLB/NBA/etc., fine, but it isn't.

Because he took a signing bonus up until the point that either: (a) his contract expires or (b) he gets waived.  His signing bonus would be less on a 3 year contract compared to a 6 year contract regardless of the fact that years 4,5,6 are probably "puff" years.  Once again, for now the 6th time, all parties involved (agent, player, owner) understand this and accept the fact that after a player signs the contract the owner has control of whether or not to waive at any time.  If the owner waives the player after 3 years, they don't get any of the signing bonus back.  Nor should they.  

Like it or not, that's the system.  If Davis going to  threaten to hold out without a new contract, then don't you agree that he should give back a prorated amount of the enormous signing bonus he got to play out his contract?  Can't have it both ways man.

Adelaide Empire wrote:

Right. Another part of the rules in the NFL is that a player can sit out for the majority of the year, only give up his game checks for that period, and still get to take a year off the contract. The franchise tag is a tool in the team's toolbox, the holdout is one in the player's toolbox.

That's fine and dandy, but tagging a player is a legit option under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.  Holding out comes with fines and isn't part of the collective bargaining agreement.  Players may do that but they get penalized for doing so because it isn't okay to and it isn't part of the agreement put forth within the contract they signed.  So for you to pretend that tagging a player and having a player threaten a holdout are equally okay to do is just plain silly.

Back to top Go down
Hamilton Steel Cats

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Fri May 30, 2014 10:51 am

Davis current contract and monies earned thus far.
Signed a 6 yr deal for 42.705M.
Played 4 yrs and was paid 33.655M or 8.41375M per season on avg. which includes any and all bonuses.
Has 2 yrs remaining for 9.05M which is an avg of 4.525M per season.

Now that he is getting roughly half what he has been getting the past 4 years he is crying "oh whoa me, I'm so hard done by."

As an owner I would say "show and get paid, or sit and don't, your call."

Davis has minimal leverage as the 49ers' have CrabApples back, Boldin, and now Stevie Johnson. As well a couple of kids in Patton and Ellington. Likely their strongest WR crew in years. They are a power run team that uses the "pistol". Bring in a inside line block TE and move the fuck on if he no shows.

Pay is pay, whether it be an in game per game amount or a signing bonus. Davis reaped heavy pay for 4 yrs. Was likely the top paid TE although I have not dug up numbers to show that as of yet. However, 8.4M is pretty top drawer. Furthermore, his initial contract with the 49er's had him at the time of signing listed as the highest paid TE. Summation, this dude should not be hurting for dollars as he has consistently been amongst the highest paid at his position. If he only wanted a 4 yr deal that is what he should have signed. I think it boils down to the fact he is 30 yrs old and looking to cash in on the newer bigger salary cap levels.

My  2cents  take on the matter.

coffee 

Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Fri May 30, 2014 3:00 pm

I absolutely hate "contracts" in the NFL. I hate the players for not living up to there end of the contract but I believe the problem really lies with the owners. The owners are the first ones to throw contracts out the window if it becomes a bad signing and a player isn't worth the money. In the end you can't blame the players for wanting to restructure and get a lot of money in the signing bonus because they're not going to see the money on the back end of their contract.

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Fri May 30, 2014 8:07 pm

Adelaide Empire wrote:

Because he took a signing bonus up until the point that either: (a) his contract expires or (b) he gets waived.  His signing bonus would be less on a 3 year contract compared to a 6 year contract regardless of the fact that years 4,5,6 are probably "puff" years.  Once again, for now the 6th time, all parties involved (agent, player, owner) understand this and accept the fact that after a player signs the contract the owner has control of whether or not to waive at any time.  If the owner waives the player after 3 years, they don't get any of the signing bonus back.  Nor should they.  

Like it or not, that's the system.  If Davis going to  threaten to hold out without a new contract, then don't you agree that he should give back a prorated amount of the enormous signing bonus he got to play out his contract?  Can't have it both ways man.

Adelaide Empire wrote:

That's fine and dandy, but tagging a player is a legit option under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.  Holding out comes with fines and isn't part of the collective bargaining agreement.  Players may do that but they get penalized for doing so because it isn't okay to and it isn't part of the agreement put forth within the contract they signed.  So for you to pretend that tagging a player and having a player threaten a holdout are equally okay to do is just plain silly.

The fact that there are (relatively minor) penalties for holding out means it's a legitimate tactic. If it wasn't, you'd see players getting sued for their signing bonuses back since they aren't living up to the contract. Doesn't happen. They get fined, and furthermore, you can screw over your team for more than half the season, and still get credit for playing that year. Why is that in there? Why should a player get a year off a contract when he missed more than half the year? The fact that those rules are in place means it was collectively bargained.

It's sorta like people walking away from their house when they're underwater. In non-recourse states, that's a perfectly legitimate decision. You can't get sued or arrested for it. It's in the terms of your contract what happens if you do it. Some people might think it's wrong or immoral (particularly if you could afford to keep making payments but just don't want to) but it's a tactic.

Davis has as much leverage as missing 10 games of the season affords him. It's less leverage than Jimmy Graham has, it's more leverage than Scott Chandler has. But it's leverage.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:16 pm

Quote :
It is believed that San Francisco 49ers TE Vernon Davis is leaning toward not reporting for training camp on time because of his contract situation, according to a source.

Fuck off Davis.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:30 am

Yeah, its frustrating, these guys want to forget the contract they signed when they do their job well and want to be paid more... but as soon as their play heads south they last thing thing they will agree to is a paycut.

The holding out is ridiculous, the NFL should have stronger sanctions and penalties when a player is in breach of their contract, because that's what a hold out is, it's a breach of contract... but these big babies get away with it, they throw a tantrum and usually get their way... it is a terrible precedent that has been set in motion...

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:56 am

player doing well... "contract? what contract?"

player doing poorly... "but we have a contract man!!!"

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:19 am

Apparently gave up the hold out already. Reported today.

Back to top Go down
Baja Beatniks

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:40 am

Quote :
Said Davis of his desire for a new deal: “It’s not the end of the world if I don’t get it.”

In the spring, Davis forfeited his $200,000 workout bonus and subjected himself to nearly $70,000 in fines by skipping the mandatory minicamp in June.

Easy livin'.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:22 pm

Maybe he is somewhat reasonable after all...

Back to top Go down
Carolina Werewolves

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:35 pm

Again holding out is the only leverage a player has and it really is not effective especially when one gets fined for not showing up to OTAs and mini-camps. As an owner I am glad he is back in the fold. As an observer of the goings on in the NFL I have to say that between the non garunteed contracts, being able to renegotiate contracts for players that they agreed to as owners, and the lucrative tv deal that covers all cost including player salaries, It pays to to own an NFL team.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:38 pm

Davis gets way too much love if you ask me. Inconsistent cunt.

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:54 pm

Had no leverage and he knew it.

Go do your job, Vern.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:35 pm

Ankle injury. Out.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:23 am

Quote :
Vernon Davis (ankle) was spotted on crutches following Sunday night's 28-20 loss to the Bears.
Analysis: Davis hurt his left ankle when he was dragged down from behind by Bears LB Jonathan Bostic in the fourth quarter. The severity of the sprain is unknown, with a Monday MRI likely pending. Backup Vance McDonald was also limited by a first-half knee injury, leaving third-stringer Derek Carrier to catch three passes for 41 yards.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vernon Davis TE DEN   

Back to top Go down

Vernon Davis TE DEN
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Player talk-
Jump to: