Share | 

Geno Smith QB NYG

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Geno Smith QB NYG   Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:55 pm

Quote :
Smith ran the fastest 40-yard dash time among quarterbacks at the Combine, clocking in at an impressive 4.59 seconds, just .04 behind Russell Wilson’s mark a year ago and equal to Cam Newton’s 2011 time. Both Wilson and Newton made their bones operating as dual threat quarterbacks — Smith is a pocket passer.

He’s coming off a senior season in Morgantown wherein he threw 42 touchdowns with just six interceptions, and completed 71.2 percent of his 518 pass attempts for 4205 yards. West Virginia head coach Dana Holgorsen is an air raid spread guru, in part responsible for Brandon Weeden’s ascension at Oklahoma State that culminated in a first round draft pick last year.

Smith rushed some in the pass-heavy Mountaineer offense last season, accruing 151 yards with a pair of touchdowns. But he would hardly qualify as a dual quarterback

I don't like him as much as I want to.  Listening to him speak he was adamant about being a pocket passer.  He doesn't want to run.  He doesn't want to be a dual threat.  Apparently he frustrated his coaches because he'd pretty much refuse to run.  That scares me.

Last edited by Jersey Legionnaires on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Utah Spazz

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:59 am

Quote :
After watching West Virginia's Pro Day, NFL Network's Mike Mayock believes QB Geno Smith is "absolutely" a top 10 talent.

It must have been an amazing workout, since Mayock said Smith's draft value was between picks 20 and 32 just last week. He said that the quarterback's footwork looked much better and the intermediate throws on inside and outside breaking routes couldn't have been better. However, Mayock has concerns about Smith taking too many sacks.

I have kept thinking when Mayock was going to start giving Geno some credit and it is about time. I haven't understood the Geno hate leading up to the draft. People just keep disregarding Geno as just an average QB and compares to Alex Smith. I still think he is going to pull a Cam Newton and surprise all the doubters.

Quote :
ESPN's Ron Jaworski said that the Eagles put West Virginia QB Geno Smith through a "rough workout."
"He threw almost a hundred balls on Monday," Jaworski explained. "He said a lot of those were the movement-type throws -- sprinting right, sprinting left, coming back against the grain. A lot of those types of throws that we know in Chip Kelly's offense, he's going to demand mobility from the quarterback." The Eagles, along with the Jaguars, seem to be showing the most interest at this time.

WIth all the solid moves the Eagles have made in Free Agency to rebuild their defense they have really allowed themselves to not be desperate in the draft and now have the ability to take the best player available. I think it now comes down to OL or QB in the 1st round for them. Joeckel/Fisher or Geno Smith. Smith makes sense for Kelly as he would get his franchise QB to start out his tenure in Philly. Vick is just a holding block right now as it allows the Eagles to not show all their cards.

Back to top Go down
http://www.fakeplastictunes.com/
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:58 pm

Pretty funny that Mayock pushes Geno up into the top 10 based on a friggin pro day. Really calls credibility into question.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:08 pm

EPIC CLUSTERFUCK! NOW A JET!

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:14 pm

vote no Poor guy, on one hand your dream came true, but on the other hand, you got drafted by a Nightmare organization!

Back to top Go down
England Dragons

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:56 pm

The New York Daily News reports No. 38 pick Geno Smith has fired his agents over "displeasure (with) his draft position."

Welcome to the big leagues, Geno. Per reporter Manish Mehta, Smith thought he "would and should be the No. 1 overall pick," but was given "no assurance of his draft position." Smith shooting the messenger over his draft position isn't a promising indication of how he'll handle the New York spotlight, but players changing agents is hardly a rarity. It won't be a story going forward.

Christ, he's gonna fit right in... raise eyebrow

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:02 pm

Something about this guy's personality always rubbed me the wrong way... Instead of being happy to be given an opportunity that only a few get and working hard and keeping his mouth shut, he is upset because he didn't go #1 overall! That's a major red flag to me!

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:04 pm

Meh...whatever. If it doesn't effect his on field play, I could give a crap. He's still worthy of a 1st round pick in a 2 QB league.

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:10 pm

Damn. Agent probably doesn't make a dime for representing Smith this whole time.

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:17 pm

Adelaide Empire wrote:
Damn. Agent probably doesn't make a dime for representing Smith this whole time.

And we all know that the agent probably paid him 10's of thousands under the table as a thank you...

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:18 pm

And its not the agents fault he didn't go #1 overall. He got a raw deal for sure.

Back to top Go down
Belgium Waffles

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:50 pm

The media will turn on him quicker than Sanchez. This guy is a bum.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:53 pm

Devils Tower Outlaws wrote:
And its not the agents fault he didn't go #1 overall. He got a raw deal for sure.

How do you know this?

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:02 pm

You think it was the agents fault? For at least a month or two prior to the draft after the Chiefs traded for Alex Smith, the only person who thought Geno Smith would be going at #1 overall was Geno Smith himself.

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:12 pm

I don't know who's "fault" it was, but I do find it rather strange that the widely considered top QB prospect slid out of the first round completely. I've never seen that before. No one was even arguing who the top QB prospect was other than the guy from sports Illustrated or whatever.

I don't know what the story is, and I'm not defending anyone. The whole thing just seems odd to me.

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:44 pm

Colorado Screaming Eagles wrote:
I don't know who's "fault" it was, but I do find it rather strange that the widely considered top QB prospect slid out of the first round completely. I've never seen that before. No one was even arguing who the top QB prospect was other than the guy from sports Illustrated or whatever.

I don't know what the story is, and I'm not defending anyone. The whole thing just seems odd to me.

There were plenty of people who didn't have Geno as the #1 of QB. Certainly not the majority, but there was no consensus. Greg Cossell had Nassib as his #1 QB, as an example.

Anyway it doesn't really matter - he could have been the #1 QB on the boards of 31 teams, just not the Bills. The issue isn't where he was ranked within the QB position, it's where the QB position ranked relative to the rest of the class. If there was anything "widely considered" about this QB class, it's that it was not very good. People just put Smith up in the top 10 because QB's tend to get pushed up, I don't think most had him as a top 10 player in the class, in a vaccuum. When OAK, ARI, BUF, etc. scrambled to acquire journeymen at QB, I took it as a pretty big indictment on the class. I think that turned out to be the case.

Anyway, how could an agent be responsible for a player "falling" from the top 10 in the 1st round to the top 10 in the 2nd round? Like, literally, what could an agent do that would cause that to happen? I can't think of anything, really. If the NFL is going to shift on a player that much because of things the agent do, then they're wasting a lot of money on scouts. The real answer is that he was never considered a top 10 player by the NFL, only by the public, and the "draftnik" community.

Smith blaming his agent for this is absurd, and makes him appear immature and unable to take responsibility. I'm not sure how much that matters, but I do know that it matters more in NY than it would in MIN.

Back to top Go down
Philadelphia Pigskins

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:00 pm

I agree- I don't think it's too big of a deal, but in my eyes it doesn't look goo for Geno, especially when the main concern until now would be how he would handle the scrutiny of being a QB in NY. Deflecting blame onto his agent as his first official move can't be a good sign.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:54 pm

I believe that he is immature for firing his agent but not because he wasn't drafted as high as some may have thought, but because he is now a Jet. If I was drafted by the Jets I would be pissed too.

Back to top Go down
Singapore Slings

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:58 pm

Philadelphia Pigskins wrote:
Deflecting blame onto his agent as his first official move can't be a good sign.

I feel the same way. Not the end of the world, but definitely a bad sign.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:28 pm

Singapore Slings wrote:
Deflecting blame onto his agent as his first official move can't be a good sign.

This is my first post in this thread:

Quote :
I don't like him as much as I want to. Listening to him speak he was adamant about being a pocket passer. He doesn't want to run. He doesn't want to be a dual threat. Apparently he frustrated his coaches because he'd pretty much refuse to run. That scares me.

The guy is a fucking primadonna and NOT a team player. He's not going to pan out. I'd stake my reputation on it.

Back to top Go down
Chicago Crime Syndicate

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:07 pm

what reputation is that, huggy bear?

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:08 pm

Chicago Crime Syndicate wrote:

My incredible player prediction track record!

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:09 pm

Chicago Crime Syndicate wrote:

This popped to my mind as well. Laughing

Back to top Go down
Morrison Minions

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:09 pm

Jersey Legionnaires wrote:
Singapore Slings wrote:

This is my first post in this thread:

Quote :
I don't like him as much as I want to. Listening to him speak he was adamant about being a pocket passer. He doesn't want to run. He doesn't want to be a dual threat. Apparently he frustrated his coaches because he'd pretty much refuse to run. That scares me.

The guy is a fucking primadonna and NOT a team player. He's not going to pan out. I'd stake my reputation on it.

What reputation Laughing

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:10 pm

Fall all of you bitches!

Back to top Go down
New England Nineties

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:11 pm

I love the slowly changing tone of Justin's comments in this thread:

http://rosterwars.forumotion.com/t774-ronnie-hillman-rb-den?highlight=hillman

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:16 pm

Adelaide Empire wrote:
I love the slowly changing tone of Justin's comments in this thread:

http://rosterwars.forumotion.com/t774-ronnie-hillman-rb-den?highlight=hillman

At least I nailed the opinion on Bradshaw.

Back to top Go down
Utah Spazz

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Mon May 13, 2013 10:14 am

Quote :
According to the New York Post, the Jets are "smitten" with Geno Smith, and it's "beginning to look more and more (likely)" he'll win the starting job.

Reporter Brian Costello came to his conclusion after talking to people "around the team" at rookie minicamp. Per Costello, Smith had "great zip" on throws and "held players’ only meetings at the team hotel" to dissect the playbook. Costello believes there's a "sense around the Jets that they want Smith to win this thing," and Mark Sanchez isn't long for the roster. We'd guess the same thing.

Quote :
According to the New York Post, the Jets are "smitten" with Geno Smith, and it's "beginning to look more and more (likely)" he'll win the starting job.

Reporter Brian Costello came to his conclusion after talking to people "around the team" at rookie minicamp. Per Costello, Smith had "great zip" on throws and "held players’ only meetings at the team hotel" to dissect the playbook. Costello believes there's a "sense around the Jets that they want Smith to win this thing," and Mark Sanchez isn't long for the roster. We'd guess the same thing.

I like these reports. Everything I saw on tape was positive for Geno, I guess in the interviews teams said he had a bad attitude. But then after hearing Geno's side of it, it sounds like his agent was telling him to be a dick, for some sort of predraft strategy. I was actually one of those Eagles fans that was hoping the Eagles would have drafted him, and especially when he fell to round 2.

Back to top Go down
http://www.fakeplastictunes.com/
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue May 14, 2013 4:55 pm

I dunno. Hard not to think this is fluff. But, I'd try to let him sit for a year and let Sanchez take another year of abuse. Or if Sanchez is really that much of a hindrance, let Garrard do it. Either way, I don't think Smith has what Newton or Luck or RG3 had... Or to some extent Russell Wilson who played really well, but had more experience than Smith I think.

Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue May 14, 2013 6:21 pm

Sanchez needs to go, the Circus needs to travel to a new town. Ryan needs to go with it. I agree Brad, one more year, let Garrard run it, ship them all out after that and start over.

Nothing else will fix that hot mess.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:35 am

Quote :
A fairly significant portion of Geno Smith's 2015 and 2016 compensation is tied to his participation in the Jets' voluntary offseason program. Analysis: Smith must participate in the otherwise voluntary drills to collect $276,328 in 2015 and $414,491 in 2016, which are abnormally big workout bonuses for a rookie deal. As PFT's Mike Florio points out, the contract structure may hint at internal concerns the Jets have about Smith's work ethic. It's perhaps also notable that the deal was brokered by Smith's agency, Jay-Z's "Roc Nation."

Always great when your organization doubts your dedication before your first season.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:56 am

It's hard to believe that the Jets situation could get worse but I truly believe it is going to...the dynamic between Sanchez and Smith isn't going to be good. The rest of the team is scraps and Rex Ryan cannot be long for his job....if I were Revis I wouldn't be able to wipe the grin off my face.

Back to top Go down
Devils Tower Outlaws

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:17 am

the Jets offense is going to be "offensive" this season... fantasy kryptonite! Geno may win the job, but he won't have any playmakers to help him out!

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:30 am

That entire team is toxic. Besides a very few bright spots on defense this entire team is fucking worthless.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:54 am

Whatever they decide on QB, they better be willing to go all year with it. I see switching QB's midseason as an absolute worthless move.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:10 am

Minnesota Eternals wrote:
Whatever they decide on QB, they better be willing to go all year with it.  I see switching QB's midseason as an absolute worthless move.

It gives them the appearance of at least trying to do something. Sanchez will start, mark my words, but by mid season he will fail and, honestly, who wouldn't? Jeff Cumberland, Kerley, Stephen Hill, a gimpy Holmes, and a fucking terrible RB group makes up your offense? The line is terrible too. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning would fail on that team.

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:20 pm

Quote :
New York Jets QB Geno Smith completed just four of his 12 pass attempts for 27 yards, no touchdowns and one interception in the first half of the Week 5 game against the San Diego Chargers. He was lifted at halftime in favor of veteran QB Michael Vick.

Jets are in a no win situation here. Starting Vick serves no purpose whatsoever.

Back to top Go down
San Francisco Golddiggers

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:31 pm

Vick is just as ineffective so it lets Ryan put Smith back in next week. Fans can't complain about starting the youngster.

Back to top Go down
Baja Beatniks

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:52 pm

Absolutely horrible. Bye, bye Ryan.

Back to top Go down
Decatur Freakshow

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:54 pm

Baja Beatniks wrote:
Absolutely horrible.  Bye, bye Ryan.

Think you're dead on Corey.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:04 am

Quote :
Geno Smith has thrown zero interceptions through the the first four days of training camp.

Considering Geno has been picked off 34 times in 30 NFL games, this qualifies as news. He's taken the vast majority of first-team reps and been "solid." Armed with a Chan Gailey scheme that suits his skill set and legit NFL-caliber weapons for the first time, we're expecting Geno to take a significant step forward toward two-QB league relevance.

This is the year. shitstorm

Back to top Go down
Mohawk Ridge Marauders

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:47 pm

Quote :
New York Jets QB Geno Smith has caught the eye of teammate WR Eric Decker this offseason. "Since the offseason he's done a good job of his accountability, his discipline, how he watches tape, how he comes to practice," Decker said. "He's definitely taking that leadership role. [We're] just kind of watching him grow every day. He's definitely done a terrific job."

Backing up what Nick posted.

I'm just not sold on Geno. We'll see though. I think it's better now that Rex is gone.

Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:51 pm

I hope he is better, because I have Marshall in this league and another. So come on Geno don't let me down pray2

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:50 am

Littleton SilverBallers wrote:
I hope he is better, because I have Marshall in this league and another.  So come on Geno don't let me down pray2  

It is never good when you are depending on Geno Smith for anything. Bail, and bail quickly! rofl

Back to top Go down
Winsted Psychos

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:15 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Littleton SilverBallers wrote:
I hope he is better, because I have Marshall in this league and another.  So come on Geno don't let me down pray2  

It is never good when you are depending on Geno Smith for anything. Bail, and bail quickly!  rofl

Yep, not a good position to be in. No one will give shit for Marshal as long as Geno is throwing the ball......

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:19 pm

Yep, Geno and all people who have to rely on him to get them passes:

Back to top Go down
Winsted Psychos

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:21 pm

Is that an Ice Cream sandwich???

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Geno Smith QB NYG   Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:23 pm

Winsted Psychos wrote: