Green Bay Packers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:10 am

Littleton SilverBallers wrote:
Alaska Arsenic wrote:
Never worked?  The last super bowl team would disagree with you.  Ranked #2 in defense that year.

That was soooo long ago.  It just hasn't been good since Woodson left.

Yes, l believe he single handily helped that defense to the #2 ranked that year.  The dude is a big time leader and he seemed to make everyone around him play better.  So I don't really give Capers credit for that year because Woody was the biggest reason we were so Good!  Capers pretty much called the play and Woodson made that so called "play" call better

I don't know about that, you cannot peg it on one single player. Tons went right that year, Raji was a monster, and Clay was a freakshow. Let's not get carried away.  wink

Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:15 am

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Alaska Arsenic wrote:
Never worked?  The last super bowl team would disagree with you.  Ranked #2 in defense that year.

That was soooo long ago.  It just hasn't been good since Woodson left.

Yes, l believe he single handily helped that defense to the #2 ranked that year.  The dude is a big time leader and he seemed to make everyone around him play better.  So I don't really give Capers credit for that year because Woody was the biggest reason we were so Good!  Capers pretty much called the play and Woodson made that so called "play" call better

I don't know about that, you cannot peg it on one single player. Tons went right that year, Raji was a monster, and Clay was a freakshow. Let's not get carried away.  wink

laughing

True.  Mayne it' just my biased opinion because he's one of my favorite players EVER

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:17 am

Yeah, Love me some C-Wood too. I guess having a higher pick than normal this year, we will have a better chance at a bigger playmaker. Drafting 28-30 every year sucks when it comes to draft time and you are watching all those studs float off the board.

Back to top Go down
Alaska Arsenic

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:48 am

Justin Harrell's nephew maybe?

Back to top Go down
http://faketeams.com
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:49 am

Alaska Arsenic wrote:
Justin Harrell's nephew maybe?

Aren't we a sarcastic cocky prick today.

Back to top Go down
Muskego Muskies

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:05 am

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
I'm thinking it's time to part ways with this damn Capers defense.  This shit has never really worked and I think it's time for a change.  His tenure as coordinator has run it's course and we need a fresh new start with somebody else

Sadly, you may be right. I am not sure if he doesn't have the right players, or his schemes are just not innovative anymore, but it is not working. I am always the "Stay the course" guy, but this year, it was tough to be that guy.
It’s about time, get on the effing wagon. Rodgers is a great player but you can’t ask him to score 30+ pts a game every game.

Back to top Go down
Alaska Arsenic

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:01 am

Back to top Go down
Latvia Unicorns

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:17 am

If he was released, he would re-sign with the Packers anyway.

EDIT: Forgot about waivers. Won't happen anyway.

Back to top Go down
Alaska Arsenic

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:24 am

I don't see the "potential release" as the issue. It won't happen. It is that multiple teams are complaining of Green Bay's preferential treatment. If Goodell wants to protect the shield, then he needs to lay the hammer down. No less than the fine Seattle just received for the Russell Wilson concussion saga.

Back to top Go down
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:26 am

NFL should clean up this rule for the future. Other teams are dumb to think that it makes sense for the league to force the Packers to release their best player. It sounds great until your division rival gets him and beats your ass for the next decade. Also, as mentioned it's not like Rodgers would just sign elsewhere anyway.

So again, the league should get their shit together and fix what's flawed. We do it here so they should damn well be able to do it there.

Back to top Go down
Alaska Arsenic

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:35 am

Im not sure there is anything to clean up in the rule. Teams are complaining because the rule was broken. If a player has to have a new injury to hit the IR again, then the player needs a new injury.

I guess I am confused as to how a team breaks a rule (whether openly or without knowing) the NFL has to get their shit together rather than the team be punished for the broken rule?

If I break a rule here at RW, other teams complain, but another team comes in and says, "oh I dont know thats a weird rule - maybe we should clean it up and give him a pass". Other owners would hate me even more than they do now if I am given the pass. We all read the rules and acknowledged abiding by them. The NFL teams do the same.

Back to top Go down
Kane County Goon Squad

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:58 am

stupid rule - think I remember NE taking advantage of it with some division player at some point

Back to top Go down
MobTown Ravens

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:42 pm

Packers are one of the top NFL organizations....can't imagine they didn't have this roster move figured out....now if it was Cleveland it would be a different story

Back to top Go down
http://www.gomariposa.org/
Minnesota Eternals

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:19 pm

Alaska Arsenic wrote:
Im not sure there is anything to clean up in the rule.  Teams are complaining because the rule was broken.  If a player has to have a new injury to hit the IR again, then the player needs a new injury.  

I guess I am confused as to how a team breaks a rule (whether openly or without knowing) the NFL has to get their shit together rather than the team be punished for the broken rule?

If I break a rule here at RW, other teams complain, but another team comes in and says, "oh I dont know thats a weird rule - maybe we should clean it up and give him a pass".  Other owners would hate me even more than they do now if I am given the pass.  We all read the rules and acknowledged abiding by them.  The NFL teams do the same.

The whole "if there is a new injury" thing is dumb. It's easily something that can be lied about or fudged and thus the league should get their shit together and make the rule something that is easily administered and not fucked with.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:41 pm

Nothing to see here. If any team wants to say, yeah, he twisted his ankle and we don’t want to jeopardize our future, it negates any bullshit people want to bitch about it.

Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:23 pm

Glad to see Mark Murphy pull the plug on Capers and TT.  Maybe we can get a DC that can actually alter his game plan, if it isn't working, instead of just keep letting a team burn you with a certain play.

Now with TT out of the picture. Maybe we can finally bring in some veteran help on defense and offense to help these young guys devolpe better.  Heck, maybe we can bring in a veteran QB to backup Rodgers, instead of a NOT READY bum. 

I just looked at the 2018 free agent market and there is some good ILB and CBs that would be nice to bring in.  Martinez needs a solid player next to him and we need one more veteran CB to help on the back end.

Now as for offense, we need to either draft a higher O lineman or bring n one off the FA market and stop putting these late round projects in there.  I know Rodgers would like to see a better line....

These are just my 2 cents, it's just how I'm feeling right now

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:27 pm

Hopefully it is the right choice, I am always the stay the course guy, but the change gives me a refreshed feeling. Here's to hoping!

Back to top Go down
Littleton SilverBallers

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:40 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Hopefully it is the right choice, I am always the stay the course guy, but the change gives me a refreshed feeling. Here's to hoping!

I was too, until I started really thinking about it.

Between two of the best QBs to play the game and between them 26 years with the packers (Should be 29, but I'm not counting Rodgers first three years) and only 2 SB titles!?!  Something seems wrong with that and I feel its time to shake things up a little.  

Rodgers is way better than Favre and Favre even said in a statement that he doesn't understand how Rodgers doesn't have more rings.  Maybe this is the change we needed, to get us back to the super bowl?

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:53 pm

Let's pray. I do always go back to fans that say TT did a bad job, and I ask how were Wolf/Holmgren better? They weren't, but in the minds of some fans, they were wildly successful.

2 Super Bowls in the past 20 years is something that most teams would love to say they have, and we are not done yet. Rodgers has 5 more years, let's do this.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:41 am

Dorsey stole Highsmith away from Packers after 19 years. Nards.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:53 pm

The Packer fans here should find this interesting, and maybe some others. I thought it was really well done by Andrew Brandt:

Quote :
Change in Titletown: Ted Thompson Transitioning from Packers GM into Senior Advisor Role

Change is rare inside the Packers offices at 1265 Lombardi Avenue in the frigid air of Green Bay, Wisc.—something I know well from my nine years. In some ways, both for the good and the bad, the franchise and region both seem stuck in the Lombardi Era, as wheels of change move slowly. I will never forget, after arriving there in 1999, trying to change our phone system to allow callers to leave messages after working hours, at night and on the weekends. Our office manager and others asked, “Why would anyone want to do that?”

Now, however, comes some change in Titletown, albeit more re-shaping than upheaval. Coach Mike McCarthy’s staff of assistants will look different, especially on the defensive side of the ball (fun fact: Dom Capers almost bought my house in Green Bay but decided to rent instead, already owning two homes from previous stops along the way). More importantly, there will be a new leader in the football operations side. I will get to that below, but first some words about the longtime architect of the Packers product, Ted Thompson, as he transitions to a senior advisor role with the team.

Man of few words

I met Ted on my very first day with the Packers in 1999 when then-general manager Ron Wolf, not yet having an office for me in the then-cramped facilities, told me to share space with a white-haired man with a Texas drawl named Ted Thompson. We shared that office for a year, prior to Ted leaving for the Seahawks (he returned five years later as general manager)—although Ted wasn’t in the office much due to his peripatetic scouting life. I talked to Ted often over the years, mostly about players, but on a rare occasion I was able to get him to open up on non-football topics; the stock market or riding bikes were a few of the things he enjoyed discussing, albeit briefly.

In this age of hyper-coverage in the NFL, it is astounding that Ted, the ultimate introvert, was the public face of one of the most storied franchises in professional sports. He was both uncomfortable and uninterested in public speaking, which, of course, is part of the general manager’s role. We talked about it a few times; he saw no value in being more open and honest, and spoke only in platitudes. I disagreed, arguing that we were stewards of a public trust and a need for some modicum of transparency in an appropriate way. Not under his watch, however.

Ted’s life is refreshingly simple. In Green Bay he was early to bed, early to rise, and when he wasn’t at the team facility, he was quietly passing time in his home on the Fox River. When I was negotiating contracts into the night I would usually have to make the call on where to go with the deal, knowing Ted went to bed early and did not answer his phone. That was OK because I knew he trusted me with the financial aspects, as he trusted his scouts to do their job with minimal interference.

Ted had an admirable ability to exist in the high-pressure NFL world without taking things too seriously. When asked about a player’s performance, he would always say something like “We think he’ll be fine.” When constantly pressed about Aaron Rodgers being Brett Favre’s successor, he would simply say: “Well, that’s the plan.” In those tense moments on draft weekend, he would be the calmest guy in the room, telling us, “Boys, this is the easy part; the work’s been done.” And in analyzing players that were not what we thought they were, he would invoke the simplicity of Wolf: “Well, he can’t play.”

Much is made—probably too much—of Thompson’s aversion to free agency. Yes, the draft was paramount and we “trusted the board” religiously, a philosophy that yielded Aaron Rodgers in 2005, going against all need-based decision making. Yet while Ted talked often of the “dangerous waters in free agency,” we were active, just not in the “stupid money” phase of the first 24-48 hours when emotions ran high. An example of this was our pursuit of Charles Woodson in 2006, when we noticed no one chasing him after a couple of days on the market. I then initiated a month-long recruitment and negotiation to secure Woodson (to say he was reluctant to come to Green Bay would be an understatement).

Thompson now transitions to do what he does best and, in my mind, what he always wanted to do: scout. He is in his element watching and evaluating players, whether at college campuses, on the Packers practice field or in his usual perch: in the darkened War Room. He will, we assume, continue to do so and add his valuable insights to new general manager Brian Gutekunst, who has often referred to Ted as his mentor.

It has now been a decade since I moved on from my position at the Packers. I had advanced as far as I thought I could on the football side, and threw my hat in the ring for the CEO position. When the position eventually went to Mark Murphy after a search—don’t get me started on search firms and their value—I knew it was time to go, personally and professionally. Even when I sought the job above him, I never had a cross word with Ted. In my final meeting with him, a man of very few words, told me something that I will cherish: “Andrew, you left us in a much better place than before you got here.”

Packer Nation owes a huge debt of gratitude to Ted, who will continue to do what he probably wanted to do the entire time he was general manager: just scout players.

The Future

Now there is a new voice in the Packers’ catbird seat, Brian Gutekunst. I know “Gutey” well, a likeable and talented evaluator from the Ron Wolf tree who cut his teeth scouting the fertile Southeast region. And speaking of Wolf, despite the appearance of upheaval and change—Gutekunst and McCarthy will now report to Murphy—my sense is that things will largely be the same since Bob Harlan hired Wolf in 1991: a cultural deference to the football operations. Having served in Green Bay with three different coaches and three different general managers, I have seen the culture remain the same and suspect it will be so here.

Murphy will continue to represent the team at league meetings and on the business side. The Executive Committee, a group of local business people, will continue to meet monthly and the larger Board of Directors will continue to meet quarterly, in gatherings that are often more social than business. Even at board meetings attended by McCarthy or Thompson, there would be scant few football questions, mostly common ones about the ascension of Aaron Rodgers, how a top draft pick was progressing, etc. Indeed, my most vivid memories from our board meetings were seeing board member Bud Selig ruefully shake his head hearing me describe our positioning under the salary cap, a competitive balance tool that Major League Baseball lacks.

On the field, it is hard not to believe this team will continue to contend for a Super Bowl with a certain quarterback returning from injury. Aaron Rodgers’s exorbitant value was illustrated throughout the past season, and it has extended to the rest of the team. Pending free agents Devante Adams and Cory Linsley chose to sign extensions rather than go market, and I have to believe that their willingness to lock in before free agency is in large part, due to the presence of Rodgers, as it has been in recent years with players such as Bryan Bulaga and Randall Cobb. There will be a new general manager, a new reporting structure, new coordinators and assistant coaches, but the franchise’s fortunes will continue to rise and fall around Rodgers. And Rodgers impact is not only on the field, he will continue to be the most introspective, transparent and thoughtful public voice representing the team.

Franchises need to evolve, and that is harder in places that have been set in their ways and experienced a level of success as in Green Bay. The Packers haven’t really had an evolution inflection since the move from Favre to Rodgers a decade ago. Now there is a new leader on the football side and a new reporting structure. Time will tell if there is a different tone inside 1265 Lombardi Avenue, a place where change usually looks like more of the same.

Back to top Go down
Tenafly Vipers

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:30 pm

RW is where I get all my hot packers news.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:51 pm

Good read.

With Eliot Wolf being such a hot commodity in recent years, I was surprised he was passed over for the role. I'd imagine he'll take another position with another team.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:56 pm

Whiskey Creek Gadabouts wrote:
Good read.  

With Eliot Wolf being such a hot commodity in recent years, I was surprised he was passed over for the role.  I'd imagine he'll take another position with another team.  

He is butt hurt. Dude is my age (35) and has been told he was daddy's replacement forever. I partied with him in high school. He is alright, but 35 is young to GM the team. He will definitely get a job as a GM, just not quite yet.

He will be a Cleveland Brown because Dorsey and Highsmith are there. He can go Not GM there if he is sour.

Back to top Go down
Whiskey Creek Gadabouts

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:12 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Good read.  

With Eliot Wolf being such a hot commodity in recent years, I was surprised he was passed over for the role.  I'd imagine he'll take another position with another team.  

He is butt hurt. Dude is my age (35) and has been told he was daddy's replacement forever. I partied with him in high school. He is alright, but 35 is young to GM the team. He will definitely get a job as a GM, just not quite yet.

He will be a Cleveland Brown because Dorsey and Highsmith are there. He can go Not GM there if he is sour.

lol

Well, for years, the Packers have declined permission to interview him for positions with other teams b/c he was the GM in waiting. You know, until they had a GM opening. Getting passed over by your employer usually means it's time to go. He should leave.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:28 pm

Yeah, I would imagine he would leave. Completely up to him. You know, Packer Nation just kind of pegged him as the guy, but no one really knows what his skills are. No one knows the inner workings. So some people are pissed about something that they know nothing about.

Back to top Go down
Titletown Tyrants

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:12 am

Wolf to the Browns. Guess they are trying to replicate the organization with Dorsey, Highsmith, and Wolf. Enjoy the Factory of Sadness! Try to make it happy.

Back to top Go down
Tallahassee Showboats

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:38 pm

Titletown Tyrants wrote:
Good read.  

You partied with Elliot Wolf huh? Nice. I think he was a great hire by Cleveland, and and hope to God they can draft the right QB and turn this thing around. I'm a Buccaneer fan myself, but you have to feel for the long suffering Brown fan. I'ma firm believer that organizational structure is just as important, maybe for important than talent on the field.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Green Bay Packers   

Back to top Go down

Green Bay Packers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Roster Wars :: The Roster Wars Clubhouse :: Player talk-
Jump to: